Stephen Colbert Live Election Special Showtime

Stephen Colbert to Host Live Special Election Night on Showtime

Stephen Colbert’s rumored Election Night special is now as official as those little “I Voted!” stickers you get at the polls.

The Late Show host will emcee a live broadcast on Showtime — not CBS — on Tuesday, Nov. 8, at 11/10c, the premium cabler announced Monday. It will be called Stephen Colbert’s Live Election Night Democracy’s Series Finale: Who’s Going To Clean Up This Sh-t?.

The idea of the special was floated at this summer’s Television Critics Association press tour.

From the network’s release:

By bringing his unique comedic perspective to the anything-goes nature of premium cable, Colbert will be able to do things he’s never been able to do in this campaign, such as directly quote a candidate without being bleeped. The special program will feature the much beloved and totally irreverent Colbert reacting in real-time to the election results as the state by state returns come in, making it the perfect election night destination for people who want to see all the latest news, without actually having to watch the news.

“It’ll be all the political comedy you love from my CBS show, with all the swearing and nudity you love from SHOWTIME,” Colbert added via statement.

The Late Show will not air that evening; Colbert’s Showtime special will be shot in front of a live audience in his usual studio in New York and will feature interviews with guests as well as, y’know, revealing who won the presidency of the United States.

1. JScout says:

I love Stephen Colbert and I’m sure this will be funny. But I’m going to have to watch the next day as I will be glued to the news that night. Can’t wait to see Hillary named as our next President.

2. maregolden says:

I would love to see this, but I had to eliminate showtime from my programming due to a tight budget.

3. Angela says:

Agh, wish I got Showtime. I’d love to see this.

4. Agent Smith says:

Trial for their own John Oliver type show perhaps ,

• HAP says:

He’s got a full time gig on CBS. The synergy here is that CBS owns Showtime.

• Agent Smith says:

Yes, but its underperforming. Could be a way to ease him back to format similar to the old CC show and allow a new host for the Late Show. Seems plusable, I’m sure Showtime would love some of the great press HBO is getting with Olivers show.

• Big Cheddar says:

Or maybe it’s a test run for him to do both. Maye he does the Late Show four days per week then a cable show similar to Oliver’s or Maher’s where he can do a deep dive into a topic one day a week.

• I think that could work. CBS Monday through Thursday and then Friday at 11 PM on Showtime. That way Real Time viewers could flip right over when that show ends and he could also get a jump on The Tonight’s Show viewers by starting 35 minutes earlier.

5. Big Cheddar says:

I feel a little robbed. I assumed he would do something on CBS. But I imagine having the chance to use more colorful language on cable was too good to pass up.

• dman6015 says:

CBS is all about making you pay now. Two new series premiering next year on their All Access ($6/mo) channel. Now the “synergy” with Showtime ($15/mo on my cable provider). Broadcast TV is dying a slow death.

6. Danielle says:

Do we know if this will stream on Hulu, with a Hulu-Showtime subscription?

7. Tom says:

I’m a poll worker and I have to say, we really get next to no demand for those stickers

8. popeye013 says:

Id love to see this but as being in the UK means i won’t :(
    Delighted for him though to get off the limitations of US network TV and onto Showtime where he can be himself and say exactly what he likes without a censor inbetween!

9. MMD says:

Just ducky since we don’t get Showtime in Canada!