Ratings: Pitch and Notorious Fall to Series Lows, Grey's Tops Night

Two of the fall season’s most high profile new drama offerings continue to struggle, with Fox’s Pitch and ABC’s Notorious sinking to alarming new series lows in their latest Thursday outings.

Pitch fell two tenths in the demo (from 1.0 to 0.8), while Notorious shed a tenth (from 1.0 to 0.9).

Thursday’s scripted dramas were pretty much down across the board, with ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy and How to Get Away with Murder both dropping two tenths (to a 2.1 and a 1.1, respectively), while NBC’s The Blacklist and Fox’s Rosewood each shed a tenth (to respective series lows 1.1 and o.8).

NBC’s Chicago Med bucked the downward trend by holding steady at a 1.3. The Peacock’s 8 pm comedies Superstore and The Good Place slipped a tenth and two-tenths, respectively (both notching a still-decent 1.2).

The CW’s new Thursday combo of Legends of Tomorrow and Supernatural got off to a mixed start, with the Season 2 premiere of the former drawing 1.8 million total viewers and an 0.6 rating (below its Season 1 average) and the latter’s Season 12 opener pulling in 2.2 million and an 0.8 (roughly on par with its Season 11 average). Both shows improved The CW’s Thursday fortunes vs. last fall’s anemic Vampire Diaries/Originals combo platter.

1. Patrick says:

So, Sarah Lance will be back in Star City by mid January or so?

• JCPrime1 says:

Huh? Nope.

• Patrick says:

I mean that LOT probably won’t be long for this world with those numbers. Lance, and her Canary persona, are wildly popular. If they cancel LOT, they’ll move her back to Arrow (or do one of those across the other three shows things).

• JCPrime1 says:

The CW has bigger problems on their hands than LOT. And Arrow isn’t doing so hot either.

• Yep. No Tomorrow and Frequency bombed at .2 and .3 CEG and Jane don’t do that much better. I’m not worried about LOT yet. It may be able to retool and improve in ratings. I bet Arrow and Flash would like to have SPN as a lead out. It seems to pull up the ratings of the show that precede it.

• Writerpatrick says:

It’s not always the exact ratings, it’s often relative to how other shows on the network are doing. That’s a good part of why Supernatural has stuck around so long.

• Christian says:

LoT is below last season’s avg so how exactly did SPN push up its numbers? Some SPN fans are so delusional and self-important, it’s amazing!

• jp says:

actually like both frequency and no tomorrow. The latter I put in the craze ex-girlfriend category that is a bit different and fun.

• Gerald says:

Sara is the worst part of LOT and I hated her on Arrow. IF LOT fails I hope they don’t bring her back in any regular capacity. (in my opinion)

• Jim says:

She would do a world of good for Arrow, but .6 is still good enough for CW. If Arrow was about the Green Arrow doing his thing and the Black Canary doing her thing in Star City, not always working together or related to one another, I think the show would have been much better.

2. wrstlgirl says:

Dang it, Pitch is really good peeps!! Bummed.

• Katherine215 says:

I so agree! I wish they would move it away from live sports. If they’re trying to interest sports fans, why run it at the same time?

• Coop says:

That’s impossible. There’s only 2 days a year when the sports world comes to a halt: the day before and after the MLB All-Star game. Otherwise, every single show is competing with live sports on some level. College basketball starts soon too.

• Katherine215 says:

I’m referring to NFL games (the most popular league in the nation) and MLB playoff games, both of which draw very large crowds. Clearly, local sports games have less of an effect.

• Coop says:

Well, then football eliminates Monday and Thursday. Baseball playoffs have floating schedules, so you can’t really schedule around them. I’m assuming it was put in that time slot because Fox thought it would hold up much better against sports than other shows they have. I tend to believe that’s correct given the premise of the show. Only other real option would be Tues @ 9, and that’s a pretty competitive time slot too.

• email not valid says:

sports fans would never be interested in this fantasy show — it is the exact opposite of what they would be interested in

• Annie says:

I know! I love, love, love this show.

• Koolaid says:

This show is horrible. The writing is garbage; and the acting is even worse. Zack Morris is the only decent character on the whole show… And when you stick a tall lanky chick in loose fit baseball uniform attraction is lost..

3. TJ says:

I really like Pitch. I wish I was a ratings family to give it a boost. It was the first thing I watched last night and then Grey’s. I’m still surprised that Grey’s is one of my favorite shows after all these years. (Thurs night is the night that nothing my husband likes is on tv so he watches sports and I sneak off to watch one or two of the shows I record on the DVR.)

4. TV Addict says:

It’s a shame because I’m really loving Notorious!

5. Tiffany says:

Thatsicks!! Pitch is really one of the best new shows this season!! I really hope they can turn it around!

6. Tiffany says:

That sucks!! Pitch is really one of the best new shows this season!! I really hope they can turn it around!

7. Jaclyn says:

Nooooo!!! I love Pitch! Hope it’s gets better. Really don’t want to see it cancelled. 😢

8. kmw says:

It is unfortunate about Pitch in particular but given its lead in no surprise (also two sports events didn’t help contrary to what FOX thinks) Rosewood was low but wasn’t it lower when it premiered this season? Maybe I am wrong about that. Except Supernatural it was a pretty lousy night for every show

9. Jennifer says:

And Pitch is what caused Bones to be pushed back? #bringbackBonesearly!!!!!

• Katherine215 says:

I’ve watched both, and Pitch is a hundred times better than Bones.

• Jennifer says:

You are kidding, right? There is no way Pitch can compare to Bones. The chemistry amongst the characters on Bones is so much better than Pitch. I tried watching Pitch. Could not make it 10 mins into the 3rd episode.

• kmw says:

Yes it is but in this case FOX actually did Bones a favor, Bones wouldn’t be doing any better right now than Pitch. And whether anyone likes both one or none of these particular shows what is going on at FOX with their fall schedule is the bigger issue. I happen to love Bones but that doesn’t mean Pitch is bad and vice versa to each his own. FOX gave Pitch a horrible night and even worse lead in so its no surprise its not doing well, that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good show. FOX’S shows are not being watched live( except Empire LW and their Sunday cartoons on football days) that’s all there is to it I would like to believe that last nights sports had as much to do with Pitch’s drop as anything else and given FOX’S woes I can actually see them giving the show another short stint. Thursdays have been a problem for FOX for awhile now and Bones coming back early( as much as I would like that) isn’t going to change that

10. DreamRose311 says:

This better not mean Pitch is doomed. It is so good, and it’s so nice to have something a little different!

11. Bella says:

I was watching Game 5 of the Dodgers-Giants playoff, so didn’t watch Pitch, although I recorded it. If a game is on, I’m going to watch that live rather than a drama or comedy that I can either record or watch On Demand.

12. Np20 says:

Pitch is my favorite new show! I don’t know why more people aren’t watching. Going to be bummed if it gets cancelled

13. Kevin K says:

Doesn’t bode well for both Notorious and Pitch in the ratings :-(

14. HAP says:

Kinda feel sad for Piper. She deserves better.

15. Iris says:

The Thursday 10PM shows are so low that I’m *this close* to think that Pure Genius might find an audience after all.

16. Gerald says:

Supernatural could go for another 10 years despite how much shuffling around it gets on the schedule.

17. lisasride says:

Pitch is the best thing on tv right now. Please move it to another night or something.

18. Jared says:

I really wanted to LOVE Pitch. The premise was original and the cast is strong. I just don’t get all the critical praise and don’t feel like it’s that good of a show. I tried to stick with it but just deleted it from my DVR. Clearly I’m not the only one.

19. Diana says:

I don’t watch any Tuesday shows. I catch up with my Wednesday shows on the dvr.

20. Penny says:

Pitch is fantastic! But I also know I was watching live baseball last night and not any scripted tv. I hope Fox is putting that in consideration when looking at ratings.

21. Linda Carpenter says:

Keep notorious on give it a chance not like mistress’s…..

22. Lisa says:

Just wanted to throw some more support to Pitch!!!! Pitch and lethal weapon are my two favorite new shows! Also my brother and boyfriend, who both loooovvvveee sports, love pitch too!

23. Sh says:

This show is so bad, more cheese than the state of Wisconsin.

24. Trogdor777 says:

Bones got moved to at least 3 different nights and time-slots, and lasted 10 years due to an incredibly loyal fan base. While the promos for Pitch caught my eye I just won’t/can’t commit to a new show until it is confirmed season 2. Just feels like a waste to invest time in a show that could have a great loyal, but small fan-base and a network just cuts the cord because the ratings arent sufficient for the honchos (here’s lookin at you ‘Forever). The t.v. landscape has changed so drastically in the last 10 years. So many of these network shows have such potential and there’s so much story to tell, it just get snuffed out so quickly now before a substantial fan base can be built up. (‘This is Us’ being a fantastic exception to the rule).

25. JudyVee says:

REALLY hoping people give Pitch a chance. My husband and I both like it a lot. Great show!

26. laura c says:

Baseball is the only sport I like & follow, but I like Bones way more than Pitch. I have been watching Bones since Day One, plus TNT repeats, use the DVR for my fave eps. Pitch is a show I watch only once, whether on time or taped. I’m looking forward to new & last season of Bones.

27. Julie Lamb says:

We like Pitch. More please! We have to wait again on the Playoff games…. not good for momentum.

28. DRG says:

The “problem” with Pitch is how it was marketed. It was marketed as being a baseball story with emotional undertones. In reality, it’s becoming a “soap opera” with sports undertones.

• Penny says:

Are you kidding me? It’s a scripted TV drama. DRAMA being the keyword. If you want real baseball, you have the opportunity to watch real baseball. If you’re looking for a drama about baseball and the lives of people who play it including outside the field, then you have Pitch. That argument is like saying you shouldn’t watch Bones because Brennan has a life outside the Lab people are interested in. Or you shouldn’t watch Grey’s because the doctors have lives outside the hospital. Pitch is a baseball drama.

• DRG says:

You missed my point. I was saying that the MARKETING for the show emphasized the “first female in the MLB and her difficulties therein,” implying baseball-related issues. However, the show is broader than that, which was a disappoint to me. I wish the show was more about baseball-related challenges, rather than about her personal-related challenges. I “blame” the MARKETING, not the writing. By the way, I know the show is NOT about baseball and is a DRAMA.

29. PFitzDC says:

Pitch is great but in a terrible time slot.

30. Koolaid says:

Couldn’t this be effected by many people being without TV? I know a lot of people with DirecTV service are still displaced where the recent hurricane hit. DVRs damaged from the storm resulting in them not recording the shows. Some places still without power. and so on..

31. DuniaMartínez says:

I feel sad for Perabo. I was really looking forward to her comeback!

32. remizak says:

Grey’s ratings will start dropping like a rock if the writers don’t snap out of it. I’ve never seen such boring storylines.

Meredith deciding not to just tell the truth to Maggie so that they can drag out the Riggs/Meredith will they/son’t they plot for endless weeks, seriously? And this is ALL they’re doing with Meredith.

Japril plus baby makes three is a snoozefest.

Owen and whats-her-name settling into marriage puts me into an instant coma.

Jo an DeLuca becoming close. Just don’t care.

About the only thing that’s even slightly interesting is Alex starting to get his mojo back in the Clinic.

I stuck with this show after they killed off Derek because of Meredith and Alex. If they’re not going to do anything interesting with Meredith, I’ll be giving up on it.

33. Mara says:

I love Pitch. Fox needs to give it a chance.

• FanofPitch says:

I love Pitch. I am saddened that the season is ending this week and even more saddened that the series may end. The acting is superb, the story line is excellent. I keep telling people to watch it. Marketing sucks…not many people even know about this great show.

34. wrstlgirl says:

was there a Fridays ratings post. I can’t find it anywhere.

35. S says:

I feel like Notorious would have been more successful as a summer guilty pleasure, for the days we didn’t have Scandal, HTGAWM, etc. I’m a big fan of Piper Perabo and Daniel Sunjata, and I’m sorry this show isn’t more successful.

36. jp says:

I dropped both pitch and notorious from my viewing already. I also dropped Speechless. Bring on the midseason shows.

37. Michelle says:

Please don’t cancel notorious!! I just started watching on Hulu. I love it!!

38. Vera Johnson says:

Notirious, and Pitch, both great shows, but oh, no, let’s cancel and see if we can’t get another reality show on,,,really,,,,who are you polling,,,believe me, there are a lot of us that like a different show with good acting, well written, and a a new concept,,,please, RENEW ,,,NOTORIOUS ,,,and PITCH,,,give them a chance,,,I get tired of going to Netflix, Feelings, Amazon etc,, looking for something good to watch,,,