Supernatural Recap

Supernatural Recap: Home Sweet Earth

The most memorable reunion during Supernatural‘s Season 12 premiere on Thursday night? Surprisingly, it’s between Mary and the impala, not Mama Winchester and her sons.

Sure, Dean’s interaction with his unexpectedly resurrected mother is both shocking (she knocks him to the ground) and tender (he recounts the story of how she met John). And just hearing him say the words “Come on, Mom” affected me way more than I expected. But when Mary sees the family car? It’s a moment.

“She’s still beautiful,” Mary says with reverence, tracing her fingers over the hood. “Hi, sweetheart. Remember me?” Then she gets that look on her face as she stares at the backseat. It takes Dean a minute to realize just what she’s remembering.

Supernatural RecapThere isn’t much time for reminiscing beyond that. When Dean takes Mary “home” to the Men of Letters bunker, they find a trail of Sam’s blood. Not long after, Cas shows up, and Dean introduces his mom to the angel. “Come again?” she responds in shock. (Cas’ aggressive attitude as he threatens suspects upends all her angelic expectations.)

Despite that, the two have a nice bonding scene about the difficulties of adjusting to life on a strange Earth. (Cas still doesn’t trust computers.) They have something else in common, too: a strong determination to find Sam. Alas, that’s easier said than done after Lady Toni’s cohort sideswipes the impala – it’s OK, baby, you’re still beautiful – forcing Mary to come to the boys’ rescue and kill the woman.

She never wanted this hunter life for her boys, she confesses. Dean understands where she’s coming from, but that doesn’t change the fact that this is what he and Sam are meant to do. “I think we make the world a better place,” he replies. “I know that we do.”

Speaking of Sam… He is being tormented — again. This time is different, though, because Lady Toni’s idea of torture is giving him a cold shower. (The fandom says, “Thanks!”) When that doesn’t work because, come on, she decides to break Sam’s mind instead. He begins to see visions of his dead loved ones as their voices call out, blaming him. It’s a heavy thing to bear, so Sam slits his own throat — except it’s just a ploy to lure Toni inside. Unfortunately, he fails to escape, and she locks him back up by his lonesome.

So what is Toni’s endgame? She wants “to make America safe.” There have been no monster-related deaths in her home country since 1965 because the British Men of Letters are good at their job, she boasts. She suggests to Sam that they work together. Yeah, maybe unchain him from the chair first?

Then we have Crowley, who is chasing Lucifer, who is chasing his next vessel. Along the way, the former King of Hell kills two of the fallen angel’s minions for calling him Lucifer’s dog. Can you blame him? That was a bad time for Crowley.

Supernatural fans, what did you think of the season opener? Grade it via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your pick!

1. maermae says:

It was a solid premiere…but I just felt that it lacked a huge sense of urgency. Like Sam’s blood is smeared all over the bunker floor & we are taking time for Mary to sweetly reminisce about Baby & for Dean, Mary & Cas to casually drink some coffee..I just felt the pacing was off. I didn’t buy that Dean would be so low-key about the search for Sam. Aside from his phone-crushing moment, Dean seemed to be straight up chillin’ the entire episode. Writers: give us the emotion, the panic, the desperation, the URGENCY to save Sam. Make it feel like Dean understands the gravity of the situation..his brother is missing & he’s diddle daddling – it made no sense. Hell, Cas seemed more concerned about Sam’s situation than either Dean or Mary. The Sam scenes, however, was fantastic – Jared knows how to play torture – however, I already foresee the writers setting up a redemption arc for Toni…as what happens with all of Sam’s torturer’s. Le sigh.

• Bob says:

It doesn’t seem like you were paying much attention. They weren’t just taking a break to casually drink coffee. They were waiting for the vet to get back, which was right near the coffee joint, so that they could question him.

I”m not sure what you wanted them to do here. They had literally no idea where Sam is. They had to do work to find information.

2. Ejdax37 says:

I loved it! I am liking the way this season seems to be going, more helping people and hunting things, less the end of all existence as we know it. The scene at the end with Sam alone was so sad, because I realized that he still thinks Dean is dead and has no idea what happened to Cas so he doesn’t know if anyone is coming to help him. Woot for season 12!

3. Remy says:

Best quote of the night: “Hormones dude.”

4. ninamags says:

This was great!!

Poor Sam. That ending where he was on that staircase was heart-breaking, especially since he still thinks Dean is dead.

Felt bad for Mary but she did have to save her son.

Not gonna lie, I thought that woman kicking Dean’s ass was kinda awesome. I wonder what those sigils on the brass knuckles were all about.

Can’t wait for next week!!

• My guess on the sigils were that they helped to depower an angel. Otherwise, Cas should have been able to take her.

• Dave says:

I think it did more than just de-power angels. I mean, no human has ever beat Dean like that. Plus, neither of them even got one hit off on her and on top of it she was able to disarm them both while effortlessly messing them up. And Dean’s fought off multiple demons at once, who are obviously a lot stronger than any human. I think those knuckles just gave her some type of magical-enhanced strength and speed, I don’t know. Looks like these (Wo)Men of Letters have some crazy weapons and stuff, wonder if Sam/Dean have anything like that in the Bunker.

• They should have these knuckles since she died with them on…if Dean didn’t take those off her hands before disposing of her it’d be a failure of the writing department.

• grys03 says:

Agreed. The knuckles should’ve been appropriated.
            I love this show & generally the first ep for the season was very good. The few lapses were:
            mum not asking about Sam & being more urgent about seeing him (probably did it in an ad break)
            not asking Cas about where she’d been for 30+ years
            being facinated by alptops, tablets & phones but not other tech
            why didn’t Sam grab a weapon? break the chair, use the leg etc?
            why didn’t Sam at least make sure blondie was down & out properly?
            why didn’t he grab the taser stick thingy?
            Writing the details for many TV series is getting poorer which affects an 8 instead of a 9 or 10

5. Linda says:

These British ‘men of letters’ are p!ss!ng me off. You know they could have stepped up earlier and HELPED Sam and Dean when they first took over the USA Men Of Letters but nooooo.

• Jim says:

They think they’re dangerous and need to be put down. That they’re constantly messing around with things like cavemen playing with nuclear weapons. Which, I mean, let’s be honest, they’re not entirely wrong, right? Sam and Dean haven’t been the most responsible and they’ve been at least as lucky as they’ve been smart. There is still a failure of communication here, because anyone able to get away with the things the Winchesters have certainly warrants having a conversation with before making an enemy out of, I mean that’s just good tactical sense. But given what our two heroes just got done messing with I can’t say I don’t understand their approach.

6. Seeing Dean and Cas get their ass handed to them by a girl was the best part of the episode and it takes a woman to save them too. Brilliant.

7. jr. says:

Thought I’d care more about Mary being back, but she just isn’t much of an engaging character. Much rather have some characters we know, have been resurrected instead.
    And why didn’t Cass easily knock out that foreign hunter much more easily? Were those brace knuckles laced with a spell, which gave her super strength?

8. Solid episode. I was a lot worried but it held its own.

9. Lin says:

AHHHHHH best season premiere we’ve had in a long, long time in my opinion! I don’t even know where to begin, so I apologize if this isn’t too coherent. :D But what a breath of fresh air – Dabb is off to a great start as the new showrunner, and I love that he’s shaking things up while keep a personal focus on our central characters.

First off, poor Sam! He looked so broken at the end of the episode, I just want to hug him and tell him that Dean, Cas, and his mama are on the way to save him. I’m both intrigued by and scared of the British MOL, and I’m interested to see what happens with them. My prediction is that Toni will eventually realize she’s on the wrong side and end up supporting the Winchesters.

Also, I LOVE the dynamic between Dean, Cas, and Mary. Their scenes were my favorites of the episode, tbh! The first scene with Dean and Mary tugged on my heartstrings, and the reunion with Dean and Cas at the bunker was great – Cas’s reaction to seeing that Dean was still alive was another beautifully acted, very emotional moment. Cas was such a badass in this episode, and that made me happy. He and Dean make a great team on the hunt together, and I liked the conversation between Cas and Mary – he could use more friends. (Also, how funny was the bit when Dean realized his parents totally hooked up in the back of his car? Jensen’s comedic timing is A+!)

What a great start to season 12. Really looking forward to the rest of it!

10. Pat says:

I gave it an awesome. The only thing that I had a hard time watching, was Sam being tortured. I had to turn away from this especially when a torch was being used on him. These British Men of Letter women, are down right brutal and are monsters.

11. Billy says:

Castiel you a angle and got your ass kick by a human, a women at that. And Dean you should have kept the mark because without it your soft..