The Good Wife Spinoff

Good Wife Spinoff: Game of Thrones' Rose Leslie to Star as Diane's [Spoiler]

CBS’ Good Wife spinoff is calling Jon Snow’s ex to the stand.

Rose Leslie, best known as Game of Thrones‘ late warrior Ygritte, is joining the forthcoming offshoot in a major, series-regular role, TVLine has learned. The actress will play Maia, Diane’s (Christine Baranski) goddaughter who joins her firm just after passing the bar, and is a key part of Diane’s plan for the future.

The new series — debuting in February 2017 on CBS, before moving exclusively to the network’s streaming service CBS All Access — picks up one year after the events of the Good Wife finale. An enormous financial scam has destroyed the reputation of Leslie’s Maia, while simultaneously wiping out Diane’s savings. Forced out of Lockhart & Lee, Diane and Maia join Lucca Quinn (the returning Cush Jumbo) at one of Chicago’s pre-eminent law firms.

“We’re thrilled to have Rose on board,” enthused executive producers/showrunners Robert and Michelle King in a statement. “We needed a young actress who could hold her own with Christine Baranski and Cush Jumbo, and Rose is perfect. She’s real, she’s strong, and she can play comedy. If we designed an actress from the ground up, we couldn’t have done better.”

As TVLine reported last month, Sarah Steele has also joined the spinoff, reprising her role as Eli’s daughter Marissa Gold (who will work as the new firm’s investigator, following in the footsteps of Kalinda).

Prior to joining Game of Thrones, Leslie played Gwen Dawson in the first season of Downton Abbey.

1. Cactus Rose says:

CBS All Access? I will not pay extra to watch the show. Cable fees are high enough. Guess I’ll just have to skip that one!

2. Jorf says:

Now I just need Eli and Robyn to become regulars and I’m set.

• abz says:

I love Eli and I’d love to see him guest star, but I’d rather him not be a regular as that might probably mean that politics would be a part of the show again. I wasn’t always against all the politics on The Good Wife. It was natural to have it given the nature of Alicia’s life and her ambitions and how her political connections intertwined with her legal work at times, but this show is about Diane and Lucca starting over again. Hopefully the writers stick to the legal aspect of the show.

3. analog says:

Ok, I’m in. I love Rose Leslie! Is she playing American?

4. Ian says:

I do love Rose, and this makes me more interested in watching this spin-off than I ever was The Good Wife, which I never even watched – and good thing, considering it has one of those notoriously bad endings like HIMYM and whatever.
    Not paying for this all access thing either though.

• abz says:

The HIMYM finale was much worse than The Good Wife I think. I didn’t even hate TGW finale. It definitely wasn’t perfect, but the show for me wasn’t tarnished the way HIMYM was.
      I know I’m biased because I still loved the show to the very end, but I don’t even think that the behind-the-scenes controversies or mixed feelings over the finale and the final season in general should deter anyone from watching the show as a whole. This show was still one of the most brilliant, well-acted and entertaining pieces of television ever made especially the first five seasons. “In my opinion.” ;)

5. abz says:

I hope at some point during the spin-off’s run that they finally give Diane the judge storyline that The Good Wife didn’t end up giving her.

6. LK says:

Haven’t heard anything about Gary Cole appearing.. is Diane no longer married on this show?

7. TDXI says:

I wonder if Robyn will turn up?

8. CBS and they’re ” WE WANT TO BE NETFLIX” Thing, is getting annoying! They hardly have anything I would watch on its broadcast network as it is, now they are putting anything anyone might watch on their CBS All Access, it’s just plain stupid! I think everyone is getting tired of all the greed of these networks as it is has shown,like them deciding years ago to do more reality shows, just so they wouldn’t have to pay actors/actresses and writers anymore, now this? They don’t seem to understand, people don’t mind paying for a one or two streaming services, but no one is going to pay for cable and more than 2 or 3 streaming services at the same time, except the rich! Luckily for me, I never watched The Good Wife anyway, so I’m not that interested in this, but I was interested in the new Star Trek, and plus it’s just the fact that I know there are people who liked The Good Wife and would have liked to have seen this too! Which is why it still does bother me, because it’s showing just how far CBS is taking their greediness!

9. TCom says:

meh, they might have lost me for any followup shows. the last series-ender was so crappy. I didn’t need the ‘morality tale’ finale. It was just fun and romance for me.