Nathan Fillion on Modern Family

Nathan Fillion on Modern Family: The Forecast Calls for Rainer Shine

Nathan Fillion is poised to make lightning strike twice at ABC.

This Wednesday, the ex-Castle actor begins a three-episode arc on Modern Family playing a hilariously-named weatherman — and we have an exclusive first look (above and below) at his debut.

Here’s the setup: When Phil (Ty Burrell) gets invited to appear in a real-estate news segment for the local news, he has an unexpected run-in with his weatherman hero, Rainer Shine. However, storm clouds quickly roll in when he introduces him to Hayley (Sarah Hyland) and, well, let’s just say the temperature in the studio quickly starts to rise.

Fillion’s first Family episode airs Wednesday at 9/8c on ABC.

modern-fillion-1

1. me says:

Cool! Or should I say………… yep, here it comes…….. shiny!

2. Dadoo says:

It’s always weird seeing the leads for years of a tv show going back to guest appearances in other tv shows. he needs to cut his hair by the way (well, he probably has since the shooting I guess)

3. Ellen says:

So happy to have Nathan back on my TV screen!

4. Jane says:

Yay! Looking forward to watching! I like his hair!

5. atlgreg88 says:

there is an actual actor called Raynor Scheine, pronounced just like that

• Daisy says:

Came here to say the same thing. He lives in my city and I see him out and about around town about once a month or so. He’s a really cool guy.

6. Claire says:

Still mad that Nathan Fillion took down his own show by being immature, really not into this.

• rowan77 says:

Unsubstantiated rumors by one unnamed source in a tabloid repeated by others without any other collaborating sources.

• Jane says:

Stana didn’t get a gig on CBS, Nathan did. If he was “immature” that wouldn’t have happened.

• Marguerite says:

I think it’s time to let that go.

• QYW says:

Funny, you are “really not into to this”, but, still had to post a comment about it anyway. Wow, bitter, party of one….

• dman6015 says:

He really didn’t take down the show. It was dying and ABC put it out of it’s misery. It was his deafening silence for two days after the two were fired that made a lot of people mad at him. When he finally did speak, it was a “Oh, well, life goes on” kind of comment.

• Patrick says:

Was he supposed to lament his continuing employment (along with the continuing employment of the rest of the cast and crew)? Admittedly, he should have made a more sincere outreach immediately, but way too much of that is being made.

• Jane says:

He has stated that he heard about the cancelation in the paper. I imagine that was shocking to him. It is easy to project our idea on the best way a person should respond. I know, for myself, I would have waited because I would want to respond appropriately for myself and for my family.

7. …….. I won’t be watching! It’s a BIG NO for me!!!

8. c-mo says:

I miss seeing him on my TV screen. So looking forward to “Thursday”!!!

9. Writer1017 says:

Yay! Looking forward to seeing him on TV again. And hopefully leading his own TV series again soon.

10. Lacy says:

I hope they make it a 13 week event.

11. George H. says:

Wonder how long before he ruins this show…

12. Miffy Mcmuffington (not my real name) says:

I generally don’t enjoy sitcoms, usually they’re mean-spirited and make me squirm. I have never watched Modern Family before, not even 5 minutes of it. So this might be an introduction to something new for me… if it’s actually good. I watched the preview and it looks like it might be fun

I’m a fan of Nathan Fillion and am so embarrassed at some of the stupidity thrown at him despite years of hard work acting in and promoting Castle, about which he has never said an unkind word. I’m also disgusted with press who insinuated he had either the power or the will to throw the entire production under the bus.

So, maybe you’ll get a new fan of Modern Family if the writing’s good and it doesn’t make me want to cover my eyes in embarrassment for the characters. I also hope Rainer Shine doesn’t go creeping on someone who looks like a teenager. That’s a little too close to reality nowadays.

P.S. the weatherman hair? It’s perfect.

• Jim says:

I used to watch sitcoms quite a bit, but that was during the Friends and Seinfeld era. Now I really can’t get into any of them, except for Modern Family. They don’t single out anyone group, they all poke fun at themselves, but the show has a heart as well, a lot like Friends did. If you haven’t watched them, I’d recommend them.

• dman6015 says:

Well, the implication is he’s going to hit on Hayley. Disgusting thought.

13. John Monaghan says:

This guy is in the same league as the Kardashians he’s a Bottomfeeder!

14. sharminina says:

wow..he really looks good here..but what I can’t understand is what happened to him at Castle in last few seasons.He just looked more old and fat :( was that the show’s requirement or just him :(

15. Collette says:

Love NF but not enough to watch Modern Family.

16. Brigid says:

I’m so looking forward to having Nathan back on TV, even if it is only for a few episodes. I’ve watched everything he’s been in, what a fantastic guy!!

17. Storm says:

Nathan’s looking good post Castle. Talented guy with comedy and drama. Look forward to seeing him on TV again. Hope he ends up on cable or netflix, or movies.

18. georgee says:

He should do real good on Modern Family. The writers and show runners do a great job listened to what the fans want, just look at the ratings. That will be 180 off from what the writers and show runners did in season 8 of Castle. For me I want to see what a 43 million dollar actress looks like, being that ABC is short on money.

19. Cindy W. says:

Nathan Fillion is such a ham ! No wonder they cancelled Castle.

20. Thanks but eww says:

Watched him last night and….no thanks. Maybe it’s too soon after the cancellation of Castle, but the whole dating Phill’s daughter was a complete turnoff