Big Bang Theory Recap: Will Sheldon and Amy Survive Living Together?

This week’s Big Bang Theory finds Sheldon in Penny’s bed, but not for the reason some overly creative ‘Shenny’ fanfic writers have dreamt up over the last decade.

After years of dating, Sheldon and Amy relocate to Apartment 4B to see what it would be like to live together. Meanwhile, someone learns the gender of Howard and Bernadette’s baby, but it’s neither the mom- nor dad-to-be. Let’s recap:

THE ROOMMATE RECONFIGURATION EXPLORATION | When Amy’s apartment gets flooded, leaving her temporarily homeless for five weeks, Penny offers up Leonard’s room. Sheldon is naturally resistant to the idea of shacking up with his girlfriend, until it’s pitched to him as a quasi science experiment. He signs on, but insists on a tweak: they need to carry out their research at a neutral location so his findings aren’t influenced by his comfort being at home. That’s when Penny proposes that they conduct their little beta test at her place.

Once Sheldon is officially moved out, Leonard and Penny celebrate with a pantsless dance party, which is ultimately cut short when Leonard has an asthma attack while doing “The Worm.” Across the hall, Sheldon keeps Amy up throughout the night tossing, turning and talking in his sleep. When she eventually tries to spoon her dozing beau, he unwittingly knocks her off of Penny’s memory foam mattress.

The next morning, Amy and Sheldon argue in Apartment 4A about whether their experiment can already be considered a failure after 12 hours. The intensity of their dispute gets both of them hot, prompting them to save any decisions for later so they can scurry back to 4B and makeout.

The Cohabitation ExperimentationTHE GENDER ACKNOWLEDGMENT HESITATION | After Raj accompanies Howard and Bernadette to the OB/GYN, he reveals he “accidentally” peeked at their file and learned whether they’re having a boy or a girl. Though they initially don’t want to Raj to tell them, knowing that he knows drives them berserk. (Even worse, he’s probably already told everyone in his Grey’s Anatomy fan club!) Their curiosity almost gets the best of them, calling Raj multiple times in the wee hours of the night before quickly hanging up.

Will “Shamy” survive an entire five weeks at Penny’s? Will Howard and Bernadette eventually cave and make Raj spill about the gender of the baby? Weigh in below.

1. Lisa Echerd says:

That episode contained the single funniest moment in BBT history! I literally fell of the couch laughing so hard.

2. GraceM says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Raj is in the delivery room.

They’re taking this storyline too far. I’m getting tired of Raj acting like he’s part of Howard amd Bernadette’s lives to the point he’s another “Daddy” to their baby.

This isn’t Bridget Jones’ Baby though the writers certainly act like it.

• It's dark but... says:

I’m hoping they go ‘Seinfeld dark’ and have Bernadette die in childbirth… then they can have Raj comfort Howard and end up together. I just can’t stand the Bernadette character… AT ALL.

• Collette says:

That’s how I feel about Amy. All these years around Bernadette and Penny and she still looks like a fugitive from senior housing. She’ll wear a tiara but not style her hair? C’mon!

• Snazzy says:

That’s a real harsh comment – however, the Bernadette character annoys me too and i don’t know why.

3. Maria says:

Funniest episode of the season so far. :)

4. The Raj plot line with Bernadette and Howard is very similar to Ted, Lilly and Marshal on How I Met Your Mother.

BTW…Screw that final episode of himym- still bitter.

5. c-mo says:

“The new neighbors are weird”…might be my favorite line of the entire show. Favorite scene was the morning after when Shamy were throwing down with science insults. The Howard/Bernadette/Raj storyline was kind of annoying because it took away from the Shamy storyline.
    I can’t decide if Shamy will cohabitate the entire 5 weeks or not, I have to wait until next week’s episode to decide. If next week’s episode is as creative with the problems as this week, then Amy might start lying to Sheldon that there are delays with the rebuild.

6. patricia says:

What moment was that?

7. Papandreou says:

Now THIS IS what a COMEDY is. Funny. Not all the other “comedies” that are out there.

8. PJs says:

Not as good as Sheldon and Penny arguments in the past, never will be. From an ‘overly’ creative Shenny fan! Mwahhahahahaahaahhhhhaaaa!

9. Luli says:

This episode was hilarious, their best in a long time. Loved all the Shamy and Lenny scenes, and Bernadette. 😂

10. Tom says:

Finally! A new, fresh, fun episode where things are getting interesting! This show was in desperate need of a shakeup like this, I think Leonard and Penny + Sheldon and Amy living across the hall from each other is going to be a goldmine of fun for both pairings. They were all getting too stale and unrealistic (a married couple still living with their friend). I haven’t been this excited about this show for a long time.

11. TvLover says:

Raj is bordering on Stuart level of creepiness I think. I mean I get the character is Howard’s best friend but the writers need to give that character a new storyline and soon instead of being the weird third wheel. I hope Bernadette puts her foot down at some point.

• dman6015 says:

I think they’re still trying to plan a time to announce that Raj is gay. Yeah, yeah, I know he’s dating two women at the moment, but, come on, his entire character over all 10 years has been W-A-Y to effeminate. Far beyond anything remotely resembling metrosexual.

• Collette says:

I never saw him as metrosexual. Metros are very stylish, fashionable and exceedingly well groomed. Raj is nothing like that. To me he has always seemed suspended between his Indian culture and British upper class pretentiousness. More Freddie Mercury [yes, I know he was gay] than Ryan Seacrest [no, I’m not sure he isn’t].

12. HAP says:

As a long time fan, I could not help but wonder about half way through last night’s episode if it has finally jumped the shark.