Supergirl Recap

Supergirl Season Premiere Recap: Kara and Superman's Excellent Venture

In describing Supergirl‘s move from CBS to The CW — which was made official Monday with the Season 2 premiere — allow me to borrow a few words from Alex Danvers: “It’s kind of like the old place. Maybe better.”

Indeed, Monday’s premiere didn’t feel quite like Supergirl 2.0, as many thought it might, but rather Supergirl 1.5 — the same general show, but with a few noticeable additions (Superman!) and subtractions. (No more California sunshine for you, National City!)

Speaking of National City, when Clark Kent wasn’t busy charming the hell out of its citizens this week — Cat Grant all but dropped trou for the mild-mannered reporter, while Winn straight-up told the Man of Steel he looks “fantastic” — he was lending his cousin a hand, saving the passengers aboard the Venture spacecraft, which Lex Luthor plotted to destroy in order to murder his sister Lena.

Lex’s minion John Corben — a name which likely got your attention if you’re a DC Comics fans — struck again at Luthor Corp L Corp’s naming ceremony. And while the Super-cousins were busy keeping the entire building from collapsing, Lena proved she’s more than capable of holding her own, putting a bullet right through her brother’s hired assassin.

METALL…OH? | Desperate Housewives taught me to sense danger at the sound of Brenda Strong’s voice, so the moment she started speaking, I knew a twist was brewing. Sure enough, she welcomed John Corben to Project Cadmus — but not by the name he’d been using. “Long live Metallo!”

SUNKEN ‘SHIP | Sadly, the Venture wasn’t the only thing that failed to launch this week. After Kara’s first real date with James was cut short — what a waste of a musical getting-ready montage! — she told him she thinks they’re “best as friends.” Ouch! At least we all learned a valuable lesson this week: The only place darker than the Phantom Zone… is the friend zone.

Additional Thoughts…

* For two people determined to conceal their heroic identities from the public, Kara and Clark have no qualms about discussing their super exploits in the middle of a busy street at full volume.

* Speaking of Clark/Superman, how great is Tyler Hoechlin in this role? I think it’s a harder character to master than most people give it credit for; you need just the right balance of strength, sincerity and awkwardness to make it effective, and Hoechlin’s nailing all three — and having a lot of fun doing so.

* I appreciate Cat’s investment in Kara’s future, but if my boss gave me that same intense speech about shedding my persona and diving into the icy waters of life, I’d be really weirded out.

Your thoughts on Supergirl‘s CW debut? Grade the season premiere below, then drop a comment with your full review.

1. Jason says:

wow at that retcon they pulled on Karolsen. I thought they were cute together and they did a 180 on it

• Asia says:

I wasn’t the biggest fan of Kara/James but still I liked the idea and I wanted to see their relationship play out. Sorry writing on that front. Love, Tyler Hoechlin as Clark.

• Alichat says:

It was a startling development. I thought we’d get some speech about her being nervous and afraid to ruin their friendship. “I think we’re better as friends” just seemed weird.

• Jim says:

It was so out of nowhere I’m wondering if Mehcad Brooks isn’t sticking with the show for very long after all.

• Jimmy says:

I was wondering the same thing. He really had no plot in this episode other than being the jilted boyfriend. Not sure where they’re going to take his character.

• maltru says:

I thought the same thing! Or if something happened behind scenes that made one or both of them not want to play a couple, so the writers had to pull a sudden 180.

2. chuckiechk says:

a great season premiere for Supergirl. Thought it was perfect and I loved Tyler Hoechlin as Superman/Clark Kent

3. Victoria says:

LOVE Hoechlin as Superman! This is how Superman is suppose to be. The CW gets it right again.

I’m going to miss the time Cat Grant is not in future episodes because more often than not she is the best thing about Supergirl. Overall, Season 2 is off to a great start.

4. Emily says:

kara wants to just be friends with james. i wonder if this is just stallng them from getting together (bc tv shows like to take their time with ships) or if this is end of them.

5. steven says:

I thought that Lynda Carter was gonna be in this episode?

6. Christine says:

Felt like a new start to me. I will miss Cat but I love the additions and the writing seems better. New writers?

7. Jeff hunter says:

CW,geoff John’s, Bertlani,pleaaàaaaaáse give Superman a Spin-off!jeff

• Andy Swift says:

I second that request.

• Patrick says:

Its hard to do in this universe. He’s already “defeated” Lex and gotten together with Lois, so there isn’t a lot left to do.
        Plus, the overlords at Warner Bros. might not be thrilled with the unfavorable comps between the movie and tv iterations.

• Jim says:

Lex Luthor is never defeated forever, and him being with Lois already just makes things better. Secret identity plots with the supporting cast get tiresome quick, you’ll notice all the superhero shows on television from both Marvel and DC have ditched them completely. Plus they can even do Super Dad with their son, which DC is doing in the comics right now to tremendous response from readers.

• Birdy says:

Yes, I agree, I liked this Superman better than the movie version. Spin-off please….

8. Lala says:

Was Chris Wood in this episode?

9. Jared says:

Loved this episode more than most of last season. The CW move has definitely done it justice. Tyler’s great as Clark too. How long is he staying around?

10. Tania says:

Um Kara and Jimmy over? What gives?!
    Call me crazy is Kara the character that the producers referenced would come out as gay? Certainly would be ground breaking.

• Andy Swift says:

It certainly would be. They haven’t confirmed that it’s someone on Supergirl, but if it is, Winn or Alex are at the top of my list.

• Mary says:

I’m thinking Alex, not Winn since he was very involved with Siobhan in the first season as well as pining after Kara. Alex only went on a dinner date with Max to keep him busy while J’onn checked out what Max was hiding and held his hand.

• Patrick says:

Alex did reference how great Clark/Supes SMELLED. I know Supes is eye candy, but I doubt a lesbian would have that same visceral reaction. Maybe she comes out as Bi, but that seems like more trouble than it is worth.

• She was just teasing Kara there. Alex is definitely the one who’s coming out.

• Mary says:

You couldn’t tell that she was teasing Kara?

The other reason I’m thinking Alex though is because of Maggie, an out lesbian, arriving in the third episode. She pretty much does the same job as Alex but for a different organization and they’re supposed to come into conflict with each other on how to do things.

• Jim says:

Yeah but Winn just reads as extremely not straight. Apparently Jeremy Jordan is married to a woman though. Never would have guessed.

• Kristoffer says:

I thought the same thing tonight when she was talking about not being able to figure out what she wanted, even though she was making reference to her choosing a job there could be subtext… and calling things off with Jimmy.

• Mike says:

I totally thought Lena was being set up as Kara’s girlfriend.

11. V says:

It made no sense that all of the first season was leading to Kara and James getting together. He even torpedoed is long term relationship with Lucy to make this happen and then all the sudden, she’s like ‘I’ll pass”? It makes no sense. Especially since she kissed him first.

• George H. says:

Sometimes people have second thoughts on stuff like this when they get a fresh perspective on life. Which Kara did in this episode, figured out what she really wanted out of life by becoming a reporter, and figured the relationship with James wasn’t in the future because she couldn’t go all in on the relationship.

12. Sam says:

This episode was great and I am happy about the end of Kara and “James.” Thoroughly enjoyed this episode and Flash. Now if Arrow can get it together I might actually watch it again.

• jj says:

Arrow’s premiere last week was better that The Flash’s

• Kevin says:

Arrow has actually. This last episode was one of the best in a long time. I feel like they got the message and this season is going to be great. Fingers crossed.

• Sam says:

I believe that. However I haven’t been a fan of Felicity since season 2, so unless they completely sideline her (a la make her like she was in season 1) and don’t ever put her with Oliver, I won’t be a fan. So although it is better now, the Olicity drama will come back, guaranteed, and I have zero desire to see that. I will watch the crossover episode and that is it. Hopefully I am wrong and you right and the season is spectacular, at that point I will be happy with your “I told you so” and rewatch the season. Sorry that was longwinded haha.

• Petra says:

The incessant whining about Felicity from a strange, small segment of boys is really becoming tedious. Arrow has had a lot of issues- blaming them all on Felicity or the Oliver/Felicity relationship is weird and says more about this group of boys, who keep bringing her up, than it does about how worthwhile Felicity is as a character.

And I say all of this as someone that found Felicity’s character pretty annoying during much of season 4. But season 4 had a ton of awful/annoying aspects. No Felicity and it still would not have been a strong season.

Basically, get over it already.

• Lea says:

Let people dislike whoever and whatever they dislike. You don’t own the truth. Your point of view isn’t an absolute. If someone is bothered by Felicity and her relationship to Oliver, you don’t get to decide that’s wrong, you’re not better than anyone.

• Itachi The Solo King says:

Felicity is the biggest reason for Arrows downward spiral if not the only. and its not just the boys…Would you not like to see Felicity regain her agency and not be a part of Felicity and friends that arrow became in season 4. Even in the new premiere the ending cliffhanger is Felicity and her new Boyfriend. Its not her character or the actress’s fault..She has been subjected to some truly horrific writing..Her character actually makes no sense on a basic level.

• Sam says:

Hi, I’m a girl. Second, I clearly stated I haven’t liked Felicity since Season 2. So that means I haven’t liked her for 3 seasons which, includes season 2, 3, and 4. Also I have gotten over it by not watching Arrow. If they change her prominence in the show I will continue watching, if they don’t I won’t watch. It doesn’t effect your watching or the thousands of other people who watch either. I am sorry this bothers you so, but as the commenter said above your truth is not my truth. Thanks

• Rachel says:

The Arrow season premiere was really good.

13. The most hilarious part was revealing that Lex Luthor is in jail for trying to cause an Earthquake that would send California into the Ocean (You know, the plot of Superman: The Movie).

14. clintbrew says:

loved the episode nice to see the flash in the opening credits also TESSMACHER also i like Clark and kara relationship like a proper family she even changed baby Kal el dapiers also tyler is the best clark yet i hope superman gonna recur in more episodes

15. Rob Horine says:

It’s only been one appearance, but I gotta put Hoechlin high up on the best Men of Steel. Right in between Dean Cain and Tim Daly.

16. Sonycru says:

Weird how they build up to Jimmy and Cara and then completely change the script. Really stupid

• Lea says:

They’re good as friends but were always kind of a forced couple. I just hope they don’t keep flip flopping on that decision.

17. Alec says:

The new gay character on the Berlanti shows is from Supergirl?

18. Luli says:

As happy as I am that they broke off Kara and James (never saw them as more than friends), I just don’t get why build them up the whole season for them to become a couple just to break them off literally an episode later????

Loved Tyler as Superman, his interactions with Kara were great. Hope he comes back in the future.

And Cat!!! I’m going to miss her bigger presence on the show… One of my fav relationships aside from Kara and Alex is Cat and Kara.

19. Kelly says:

Awesome premiere. Love Tyler Hoechlin as Clark/Superman. I was super disappointed they didn’t cast Tom Welling but absolutely fell in love with Tyler in the role. He nailed Clark’s awarkdness/adorkable without being corny/cheesy. Disappointed they dropped Jimmy/Kara and that there was so little Jimmy and Alex. I love me some Danver sisters

20. QueenB says:

Excellent season premiere. Supergirl is finally living up to its potential. This is a promising start to it’s second season. Love Clark Kent Superman. Loving the reboot which still acknowledges the past while moving the series forward naturally. A great fit for The CW

• QueenB says:

I love that the writers wisely decided to do away with the relationship with James. It wasn’t working and dragged the series down. I love that they had her have a change of heart after facing life changes that naturally can and will change a persons perspective. Only complaint is they should have stretched it over the first two episodes and show her struggling with the decision they still might

21. James D says:

very good season premiere. Tyler was excellent. he definitely had the right mix of goofy sincerity with Clark and the quiet strength of Supes. the Kara Jimmy thing was awkward I didn’t particularly care about their pairing but they made such a big deal out of it last season to just drop it like that felt jarring. still can’t wait for More Clark and Kara. and Calista is so perfect as Cat it makes me sad her role is reduced this season.

22. parstl says:

Very good episode one of season two. I’m glad they incorporated Super Man into the plot because it just seemed weird they way the writers avoided him last year. However, it is her show so I hope he’s only an occasional guest and not a regular. Cat/Calista will be missed as a regular. She’s great. The James Kara thing seemed rushed and was inconsistent with a main theme last year…they should have had them go on a couple of dates and then realize they were better as friends. Miss the sunshine but they did their best to film in daylight (I think that’s why they brought the DEO out of the cave–less darkness). I believe in diversity but I hope they don’t find it necessary to focus on a main character being gay.
    Overall it looks like a promising season.

23. Donna Green says:

Are we going to see Lois Lane this season? Now that will be a hard role to fill. Teri Hatcher and Erica Durance nailed it!

• arianeb says:

Nothing against Teri Hatcher, but Erica Durance is the best fast talking sarcastic Lois Lane on any movie or TV show, and she would fit well with Hoechlin.
      Unfortunately, she is busy with Saving Hope which films in Toronto (at least she is in the same country). Would be a great bit of stunt casting if they could get her for an episode or two.

• Teri most certainly did. I didn’t enjoy Erica’s take on the character. Too abrasive and down right unpleasant. She needed to tone in down a couple notches in my opinion.

24. Joey Padron says:

Season premiere was really good. Like DEO’s new headquarters. Tyler is great as Clark/Superman. Hope he’ll come back for more episodes in season 2. It’s for best that Kara and James to stay friends. It’s great to have the show back. Can’t wait for next episode!

25. Caelinae says:

I need an A+ option on the poll.

26. Shaun says:

Guy who plays Jimmy was a poor love interest on True Blood too,maybe it’s a mercy for us.

27. A major improvement over the CBS version which I felt was very poor quality and borderline unwatchable at times; something quality-wise more akin to Agents of Shield than the other DC series. I found episode one of season two extremely enjoyable and finally inline with Flash and Arrow quality-wise. I know some people are upset by the changes but I absolutely hated the Cat Grant character, so her role being diminished was a welcomed change for me personally. Overall the show went from a D- to a solid B / B+ and a full season-pass on the DVR.

Tonally Supergirl also pairs quite nicely with NBC’s Timeline, making for a fun Monday night.

• Itachi The Solo King says:

I love all the Cw shows but Agents of Shield has become far and away better than them all. Hopefully your not judging the show having solely watched some of the terrible first season and based your judgement on that.

• malkavianseattle@gmail.com says:

I actually stopped watching Agents of Shield, I think it’s become unwatchable. I HATE Daisy/Skyler whatever her name is. They get rid of Bobby and Nick (I know they were trying for a spinoff)but Christ, they were awesome together and had chemistry.The only people I like are Fitz & Simmons and that was wearing thin.At this point, Gotham is better. This is a pile of “what the monkey flung”

• Itachi The Solo King says:

Fair enough..Personally i think Gotham is garbage but to each his own, opinions and all that. At least yours is informed as its sounds like you watched AoS until at least season 3.

• mRbandit0 says:

And then Ghost Rider happened and the show is better than it has been in a while, may I suggest you watch at least season 4 episode 1

28. ScottJ says:

I think Lena Luthor set up all the attacks herself and its nothing to do with Lex. There was never any serious threat to her, and then she took out the only person who would have known. Its all about her being seen as a good person while she gets a few evil plans moving.

29. Red Snapper says:

I think the move to the CW has definitely improved the show. Tyler Hoechlin was awesome as Clark/Superman. I loved how he did a bit of an updated version of the classic Clark Kent. Smallville is one of my all time favorite shows. Tom Welling was excellent as Clark on a journey to become Superman and figuring out who he was. However, he was never Clark pretending to be Superman or vice versa (depending on how you look at it) and he was never supposed to be. So it was nice to see this kind of Clark/Superman again. I don’t know how many episodes he’s in but I hope he’s around for awhile.

I am going to miss Cat Grant and hope her absences moving forward isn’t too noticeable. I’m glad that they’ve ended the relationship between Cara and James. They had no chemistry. I love Chris Wood and can’t wait to see him actually awake on the show. I also liked the addition of Lena Luthor and am curious where they are taking her character. I do hope that they integrate the universes somehow, like a Crisis event, but if they don’t there are still ways for the shows to interact.

30. George H. says:

Still kind of find it hard to believe that Tyler Hoechlin was the kid in the movie The Road to Perdition, lol. I mean, almost couldn’t recognize him and was surprised to find out who he was when it was announced he would play Superman. He made a great Clark Kent/Superman.

31. Polly says:

this is how Superman should be written. now please show this to Zack Snyder.

32. dancmh says:

Tyler did a fantastic job. I’m not ready to hope for a Superman show just yet but I definitely hope he shows up a lot more than planned for time with Kara this season.

33. Phun says:

Great start to the season!

34. Michael berry says:

I luv this show! You can really see how much work has gone into season 2!

35. Paula says:

Excellent season premiere! I will miss Calista as Cat Grant.

36. Dominique says:

it was a great first episode back. a little messy sometimes but i can live with that. tylerhoechlin is absolutely perfect in this, he’s exactly the clark kent and superman i’ve been waiting for for years. him and melissa had great chemistry together!!

37. clark says:

What about Miss Tessmacher??? Either it was a nod to the Christover Reeve films or she’s involved with the Luthor storyline

38. Rick Katze says:

I see a lot of this season being James/Kara doing it’s on and it’s off. And, of course, Clark shows up and then Superman appears. Funny how no one can add 2 + 2 and get 4.

39. MarcNYY618 says:

I’m glad they got rid of the Kara Jimmy thing. It’s a little unrealistic though since she spent all that time pining for him, and then dumps him the second he returns the feelings.

Anyway, this does leave room for Brainiac 5 at some point.

A lot of people were worried the show would turn into the Superman show. The writers are too smart for that. But that said, I would love to see this Superman’s world.

40. Gerri says:

I’m curious about Chris Wood’s character. Maybe I’ll be shipping him and Kara.. Hope he’s good.

41. Luis Roman says:

I’ve always believed that Superman is easy for an actor, but Clark Kent is hard. Nobody did it better than Christopher Reeve, but Hoechlin showed some real chops.

42. Ms Thang says:

The series is off to good start. The only letdown is the casting of Clark/Superman. Physically, he looks underwhelming.

• tvloverSA says:

You are the only person to complain about that he is perfect if you are looking for bulky check dc cinema verse as they always go big and dark. …

Tv takes the lighter and relatable root

43. Azerty says:

Too bad Arrow killed Amanda Waller, she would have fit right in the Cadmus story. Maybe the fact that Supergirl is on another Earth than Flarrow will help bring back the character (with the same actress than in Arrow)? The Cadmus Project with Waller, Maxwell Lord,(if possible Lex Luthor) and other villains from Flash/Arrow would be the perfect plot for a 3-4 episodes cross over.

44. Mai says:

I really enjoyed the Supergirl season 2 premiere on CW. Visually it didn’t look too different for me. Same bright show as it was on CBS. The premiere also addressed some issues from season one.

(1) Kara is finally going to concentrate on heading somewhere career-wise.
    (2) I’m glad they got rid of that awful James and Kara relationship and had Kara friend-zone James. The two have no chemistry, and James’ character really needs some major development on his own before any relationships anyways.
    (3) The show’s Superman is doing well so far, acting-wise and character-wise. He really seems to fit the part. Although I keep thinking of American Dad when I see his jawline, instead of Superman first.

I’m also glad the new character in the pod is played by Chris Woods. He did a great job in the clips I saw of him on Vampire Diaries, and he’s super hot. Hoping he has good chemistry with Kara, and that Kara finally has an actual relationship that lasts longer than part of an episode.

CW Supergirl team did a great job. I’ll be sticking around and hoping for a season full of great entertainment.

45. Very good episode. I didn’t like Tyler in the role but I’ve known that since they announced he was hired. From the costume to the guy, this Superman didn’t work for me.
    I however loved Lena Luthor, my goodness, great casting there. Cat remains fabulous and a joy to watch. I was never a fan of Karolsen because I didn’t see the chemistry but whatever at them deciding not to go forward with a romantic relationship.
    As always, great to see Martian Manhunter in action as well as Hank, managing the DEO. A fun, enjoyable episode and a great addition to the cast in the form of Lena Luthor.
    Lol. Anybody else thinks of Tess (Lutessa Lena Luthor) Mercer when Cat screams out her new assistant’s name?

46. Dj says:

The only problem i had with the episode is they made her a reporter. It feels to much like we dont have an identity for her so lets make her as close to superman as we can.

47. Jay says:

Let’s be honest here. There is no way the networks or D.C. was going to allow a black man to stay the love interest of the #1 white female super heroine on T.V.

He was never even her lover! No. Now acceptable, is a black woman and a white man. That harkens back to true respectably. Like slavery days. White men / black women.

Now the Flash has it right! Totally correct. You have it all: “diversity”, an actual “inter-racial” sexual relationship that is palatable. It pleases the fan base.