Exclusive
24 Legacy Carlos Bernard

24: Legacy: Carlos Bernard to Reprise His Role as Tony Almeida in Fox Reboot

Tick, tock, tick, tock… Tony!

Carlos Bernard has signed on to reprise his signature role as Tony Almeida on a recurring basis in Fox’s forthcoming 24: Legacy reboot, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Tony was killed off in Season 5, only to be resurrected — and rebranded as a villain — at the start of Season 7. He was last seen being carted off to jail in the Season 7 finale, although he popped up two years ago in a special feature in the Live Another Day Blu-Ray set. The quasi-short film, 24: Solitary, chronicled Tony’s life in prison, including his efforts to break out.

“Tony Almeida is one of the most indelible personalities in the 24 universe, at times loyal and loving, 24-solitary-tony-almeida_11other times an utterly amoral, ruthless mercenary,” said Legacy‘s co-showrunners Manny Coto and Evan Katz in a statement. “Carlos Bernard has done an amazing job portraying this dark and conflicted character, and we couldn’t be more thrilled with his return to the show.”

Bernard is the first (but probably not the last) 24 vet to make time for Legacy, which centers on a former Army Ranger (played by The Walking Dead‘s Corey Hawkins) who, upon returning to the U.S., turns to the CTU for help in saving his life. “The premise of the season is based on a real story about the guys who took out Osama bin Laden,” Coto previously explained to TVLine. “It struck us as a fascinating [introduction] for a character who participated in a huge mission to take out a terrorist leader and then had to go back to his normal life. And then what would happen if [someone] started killing off the members of his team one by one?

“It was a way to start fresh [with a] brand new character — a character that is not Jack Bauer,” Coto added. “Jack Bauer was a seasoned agent. This character is not. This character is soldier who is not used to this world of espionage.”

24: Legacy will debut after Super Bowl 51 on Sunday, Feb. 5, before settling into its regular Monday-at-8 pm time slot the following night.

1. Joey says:

This is great news. Plenty of people were excited for this new series, but I’m sure there are just as many that were annoyed it would seemingly drop or ignore the still-hanging threads from Live Another Day. While it’s impossible to get Jack Bauer back right now, getting Tony back is a great thing. Hopefully eventually it’ll resolve the whole Jack going to Russian prison thing, without just quickly saying he died sometime after turning himself over.

2. Shaun says:

They trying to draw us in,but i’m no rabbit!

3. andrew hass says:

I think this is great news and i think for the 24 reboot to work there has to be characters in it that viewers already know and care about and not just all new characters.

4. Great news. We might not have Jack, but we’ll have Tony! Now we need Chloe!!

5. Pat says:

Best news about the whole thing so far! Hopefully they don’t just bring him back to kill him like Palmer and Michelle in Season 5 though.

6. The Cougar says:

So after months of the producers saying that this is a “reboot” and the real-time is the true star, they’re going to bring back as many fan favorites as possible to get fans to watch.

7. Samuel says:

I might actually have some reason to watch this now.

8. I always loved Tony, can’t wait to see him back. If we can’t have Jack (as he’s now the Pres ;)) then Tony is the next best thing.

9. David says:

24 without Jack Bauer is like, the Jason Borne Series without Jason Borne. It’s stupid.

10. Karen says:

If your bringing Tony back I’m up for watching, love his character and if you bring Chloe awesome as well, how about Morris too. These characters back would definitely get me watching again

11. Ralph says:

I thank the lord that prayers have been answerd and 24 is back again. I can’t hardly wait for it to show. Every good timing after S Bowl perfect. Bring it on now.

12. Tony Almeida is ruined for me. His resurrection cheapened their best season just so they can play with an actor they missed. Single-minded angry revenge Tony isn’t really Tony, he’s just the thousandth generic vengeful secondary villain that just happens to be played by Carlos Bernard.

• The Cougar says:

Yeah they totally ruined his character in season 7.

• Eleftherios Rizos says:

No they didnt. Season 7 was awesome because of Tonys character.At least for me and many other people. If you didnt like him turning vilain that doesnt mean they ruined the character

13. J says:

Finally. Now I’ll watch 24. This is the news I’ve been waiting for.

14. Kevin K says:

Happy about the news that Tony Almeida is coming back for 24: Legacy. Wonder if he’s still the “bad guy” after we last saw him at the end of Season 7. Still hoping for a Chloe O’Brian return.

15. Djdn says:

Yes! Forget chloe tony is where its at. I WILL now be watching this show… Hopefully he shows up early on and isnt a straight up villain.

16. Toni Avery says:

tony is the 2nd best to jack.

• Maybe after Chloe O’Brian, David Palmer, Nina Myers, George Mason, Mandy, Kate Morgan, Renee Walker, Bill Buchanan, Theo Stoller, Aaron Pierce, Martha Logan, Charles Logan, Sherry Palmer, Lynn McGill, Ira Gaines and Victor Drazen. But hey, at least he’s better than Kim.

• Chloe says:

Even that cougar was better than Kim. LOL

I loved Tony! I may watch this show after all. And if Chloe comes back, I will definitely watch!!

17. kmw says:

Still not 24 without Jack however for fans wanting to watch I am glad they have him back. I am interested to see how this re boot does after the Super Bowl

18. KM13 says:

I guess I’ll really have to check this out now. Wow, Tony Almeida.

19. Geraldine says:

Sorry, love love love 24 but without jack it’s just another poor man’s James Bond. Tony and Chloe are fantastic but it’s like Abbot without Castillo. And laurel without Hardy don’t even try you have to get Mister Sutherland no one else will do.

20. kortkat says:

While I loved all the shows and sequels, it still won’t be “24” without Kiefer Sutherland. I’ll tune in, and see if it keeps me interested.

21. WHOPEE, best news yet. If we can’t have Jack, then so happy to get Tony! YES YES YES!

22. CartoonCoyote says:

I guess it’s not a “reboot’, then. Seriously–people need to learn what the term means w.r.t. fiction.

• Normandy says:

I suspect there are websites that use the word reboot incorrectly because it gets more hits. But for the rest, they’re just idiots.

23. Daniel says:

This is the best news of the year….Almeida is back…..Almeida is back……can’t wait for 24 legacy….I was already super excited the show is back I mean 24 is one of the greatest TV shows of all time ….They transformed TV and introduced the world to real time….It makes sense to do something fresh after 15 years….Jack Bauer will someday be back but for now let us get to know our new characters. ..of course the news of Almeida return only makes my excitement fever pitch. …Always loved his character even after he went on a revenge spree to avenge Michelle. ..I simply can’t wait to see what the writers have in store for us…..

• Otika says:

Me I know 24 as Jack Bauer why is he not there in this 24_legacy? Good news Almeida is back we want Chloe to be there to run comm

24. thomas mcconnell says:

Call it 12 for goodness sake ……. Its only ½ the program it was.

25. Sylvia Ann says:

Besides Jack, Tony has always been one of my favorite characters. I’m all for the new 24 reboot; I’d like to keep an open mind about the new show.

26. Abiama victor says:

Great news that Tony is back, if 24 without Jack is like nothing to me.Bring back Jack and chloe and make 24 the best.

27. connorbehan says:

I was swearing up and down that I wouldn’t watch this but now I will. Those clever bastards knew exactly what I wanted and I stood no chance against them.