Fall TV Preview

Vampire Diaries Video: Ian Somerhalder Shares His Dream Ending For 'Delena' (and It's Not What You Think)

Matt Donovan would approve of Ian Somerhalder‘s proposed endgame for The Vampire Diaries.

While many fans of the long-running CW drama are hoping for a romantic reunion between Damon and Elena in the show’s upcoming final season (Oct. 21, 8/7c), Somerhalder isn’t necessarily married to that ideal.

“This poor young girl from this tiny town … she lost everyone she’s ever loved, she burned her house down, she’s now in a box,” Somerhalder tells TVLine. “These guys have ruined her life, yet everybody wants her to end up with one of them.”

(For the record, Nina Dobrev’s return has not been confirmed. The last official update, shared by CW president Mark Pedowitz in August, was that “there are discussions going on with Nina.”)

And what of Stefan, you ask? Somerhalder, who remains firmly on #TeamHuman, also has big plans for his on-screen brother.

We’ll have more interviews with the Vampire Diaries cast as the Season 8 premiere approaches. For now, hit PLAY on the video above to hear Somerhalder’s full plan for the series’ end, then drop a comment with your own below.

1. M says:

Ian’s ending is the ending no one wants lol

#SterolineJuneWedding

• Dmac says:

I think it’s a realistic and poetic ending to the show. Ian is right, they ruined Elena, her friends and Mystic Falls. They don’t deserve the happy ending.

• Becky says:

Ian’s ending is the ending his wife wants.. he probably just doesn’t want to deal with Nikki’s attitude when Nina’s back on set with her husband..

• Ermagherd says:

Yep, I’d say that’s the real truth behind it, it will be totally awkward for them both. What’s he gonna do though when the show finishes?

• Lee says:

he’ll be hard-pressed to find acting jobs, maybe he and Nikki will just seek out places that will pay for them to stand around and smile, you know “acting”.

• Ermagherd says:

Yeah well, I have to admit, I have a bad feeling that when TVD ends, it could be the last we see of him, of most of them actually. At least in another decent movie/show. TVD made them all who they are and they will most likely be lost without it. Even when Nina broke away from it, she really struggled to make a success of going solo. I thought it was terribly disappointing that as the star of the show she just walked out on it. She couldn’t really separate her emotions from her job while Ian was there it seems. I don’t like the sounds of the rumours regarding Nikki trying to get Kristen Stewart to be in the finale. I mean is she for real?! This is NOT Twilight and she is only married to one of the actors, she’s not even in it. If they do that, even as a joke, I will not be impressed. I will deeply miss TVD though and I know lots of people who are only getting into it now so it’s still fairly popular. At least we still have ‘The Originals’ thank goodness.

• elenas8 says:

i think that you are right about Ian’s tease Delena ending or better share his dream is exactly nikki’s words that she wants her husband to say about the finale s8 #TVD regarding delena reunion. i am fan of TVD ,i love them all and i love Delena so much ,they are endgame in the books. JP knows that so as Kevin W.

• Stop blaming Nikki, when it’s NIna the one who choose to leave and who might not even come back based off of what she wants to do.

• Syd says:

I wouldn’t waste my time Bamon Rocks, they are delusional. They don’t want to face that Nina didn’t want to play delena anymore.

• Lee says:

agree with your comment, maybe Ian and Nikki will ride off into the sunset and we’ll not need to hear about them any longer.

• Cricket says:

I agree, Becky. If you go back to before Nina left the show, Ian always said in interviews that he wanted Delena to be the end-game. I don’t blame Nikki, but it does have to do with her and whatever animosity is going on behind close doors between the three of them. I mean look at how he talks about Nina now in interviews. At the end of the day he can have his opinion as much as he wants, we all can, but we’re not Julie Plec. She knows how it’s going to end. So hopefully, he’ll be professional enough to do his job if Nina does return, and I hope she does.

• Sara says:

Amazing how you seem to know what his wife is thinking. You should take the show on the road

• Laura says:

LOL right?! Didn’t you know that the delena fandom knows everrryything about Ian, Nikki and Nina. They were in the relationship with them and had first hand knowledge of everything that went down.

2. Dani says:

I love what he is saying because it makes a lot of sense. I know you shippers don’t wanna hear it but Be realistic guys….Ian speaks the truth and I bet that is exactely the end we are getting. Human elena living her life and a defan endgame.

• Gena says:

I always liked the idea of Defan leaving together or turning human or dying tbh. If they end up with couples, it defeats the purpose of the show being about Defans journey, which it is. I want Caroline to be happy, and with someone who puts her first which is why I don’t want her with Stefan. It’ll always be Damon first, which is how it will always be for Stefan and how it SHOULD BE. Team #Defan.

• pamela says:

He does make perfect sense, i agree. although I highly doubt his ending will happen unless Nina doesn’t return for the finale.

• Stacey says:

Gotta say, I agree. Esp. since KW is back and that supposedly was the endgame he had in mind. But whatever they decide, Nina though deserves a proper send off.

3. Mk says:

He only wants this ending because he and nina are no longer together…. he was all for delena in the past

4. KM says:

actually, he always loved bonnie and damon

5. Matt is an ass now. So no. I don,t really like him anymore.

6. Vampie says:

He does make sense. I mean Damon is a hunderd something years and Elena is just 18, if she ends up with him she be wasting a normal human life, wel I know she is a vampire now but taht can be reversed I guess. I mean Im starting to believe the ending will be just like the show pilot. Elena was human enjoying hernormal human mortal life with her friends where she had not met any vampires yet and Damon and Stefan were together as brothers being just vampires living isolated in some town.

• Caroline says:

Elena is human now. She took the cure before falling under the sleeping curse.

• Dandrea Dean says:

Elena is human again she took the cure in season 6 before her magic coma. Ian is right their relationship was wildly inappropriate from beginning and not just because she was with his brother but because of the age difference at least Stefan was Elena’s age when he became a vampire but Damon was 23 so him macking on a sixteen-year-old was disturbing on many levels, they are both are vampires that are over 100 years old and Elena was a human teenager. The closer she got to Damon the more selfish and unlikable Elena became, they had to completely ruin Elena’s character/morals to make them a couple in the first place, at this point I don’t Elena deserves a happy ending with either Salvatore, I want a Defan happy ending.where the brothers grow closer while they put Elena and her doppelgangers drama behind them forever.

7. Pam says:

Actually agree with Ian. When Stefan and Damon came to town, they basically ruined Elena’s and her friends lives. The brothers deserve each other. Let Elena live her human life.

8. Done says:

First of all, Ian shouldnt be asked these things. He cannot separate fiction from his real life. Wanna talk about age difference? How about he being almost ten years old than his wife? I cannot wait till the show is over and he gets divorced. Plus I wont have to deal with his nonsense anymore.

• Ian’s feelings regarding a #Delena endgame isn’t about his marriage.

The reason Ian hates Damon & Elena so much is because it destroyed Damon. In the beginning the public didn’t ignore the primary couple. Stefan & Elena were cute but Hollywood’s hottest critics loved Damon to death. In October 2009 Entertainment Weekly & Rolling Stone said Damon was one of the best characters Kevin had taken under his wing. Ranging from “Seasons 3 – 6” viewers and critics alike said they would fall asleep when Damon was in a scene because he was the most boring character on the show.

• Ermagherd says:

Maybe but I’d imagine that it has something to do with his marriage also. I’d say Nikki would be paranoid that Nina and Ian would bury the hatchet and end up getting close on set again. The scars from it all are definitely still present. In saying that, Elena always was the central character on the show and Nina was a vital part of it, playing both her and Katherine. I think it would be a very lame ending if she did not return to tie up loose ends. In saying that, I hope herself and Ian can just behave professionally about the whole thing. Must be awkward for Paul too I suppose, he is the friend of both of them and he wouldn’t want to be seen taking sides. I just love tvd though, brill show and I’m sad how these days, vampires are dying out and are being replaced by zombies, it’s nowhere near as gripping. Also believe it or not, there are actors out there who caused a lot more controversy than Nina did by walking out of the shows that made them. I still get angry when it happens though, you know, to invest all your time and energy into a show and a particular character only for the actor to discard it. It’s like as if they are spitting in your face and I detest whenever it happens.

• Wait what, the show didn’t stop winning commendations and awards in 2009. It was winning awards in 2010, 2011, 14, 15, etc all the way up to 2016 even it’s won things, something I saw recently. Infact apparently it’s when they tried to do something different and focus more primarly on the brothers without Elena that popularity dropped sharply. Damon and Stefan couldn’t carry the show on their own. I do find this sad because I enjoy Defan and wouldn’t have minded if they’d been able to do even more seasons with just the two if them as the leads but yeah.

9. Jasmin says:

Ian is right. Elaina should be compelled to forget them and live with Jeremy and her extended family in Denver like a normal person.

10. Stacey says:

I don’t care who Elena ends up with, as long as I get a Klaroline endgame either in TVD or TO, I’ll be happy!!

• Beth says:

Not going to happen.

• Laura says:

How do you know? Are you a writer for Plec now?

• Stacey says:

Let me guess Beth, you’re a Steroline fan, right? lol. Well you’re not a writer so I could not care less about your opinion. Plec, KW and the TO writers have been really kind to the KC fandom as of late. Plec talked about KC at CC and said it’s a possible endgame and talked about Klaus’s however long it takes comment to Care in S4. Plus, she’s been mentioning KC more on her Twitter account. Also, I even had a nice discusion about KC and TO in general with a new Originals writer on Twitter. They are totally open to it, as is Narducci, which he said in an interview at CC. So it’s a definite possibility. And as always I want Care to end up with someone who has always put her first, and that is definitely not Stefan. He will always choose Damon first, and that’s not fair to Care, as Klaus noted in the c/o.

11. Lizzy says:

Luckily Ian isn’t the writer bc his ideas are terrible. Julie said she is working in happy endings and Delena are each other’s happy ending. Not the brothers dying. Besides, having a terrible ending will make the fans feel like they waisted 7 years. We rooted so hard for these characters to be happy. Nothing but an happy ending will suffice.

• Rachel says:

Well I can tell you that NOT everyone rooted for dullena and certainly don’t want them to end up together. Ian has a very good handle of what the ending should be and hopefully Kevin listens to him.

• Kelsey says:

happy ending for me is defan riding off into the sunset and elena living as a human.

12. Scarleth says:

Ian is right as usual, but i prefer to Stefan and Damon leaving MF together and looking for a new begining in another place. They must leave to the boring Elenina live his boring human life .

13. Reminder to Ian.

*Elena is in a box because of Bonnie, because of Kai

*Klaus killed Jenna, John and Isobel are also dead because of Klaus.

*Rebekah killed Elena, Damon was not responsible for turning Elena into a vampire, he didn,t want to do that, at the time he had not given her blood at that time, it was actually Meridith a human doctor who made Elena a vampire.

*Katherine made Caroline a vampire.

*Katherine killed Jeremy when Elena was going to burn her house down, Elena was going to burn it before turning off her emotions.

*The Traveller,s, Marcus had a spell which drew Stefan to Mystic Falls, a spell which would be responsible for drawing Stefan towards Elena.

*Bonnie would always have been a witch and Tyler could have always become a werewolf.

*Elena has killed

*Elena has hurt people

*Elena,s life was a mess before the Salvatores came to town, her adoptive parents dead, turns out her adoptive dad had some shady practices anyway, her brother a drug dealer, then even before Elena wasn,t a saint, she blew off family night for some party, and argued with Matt.Oh and her real father got a teen girl pregnant.

-So Elena is no special snowflake who deserves a happy ending above and aboard all else.

Stefan and Damon dying isn,t right especially when they aren,t responsible for the above.

• Michelle says:

Disagree with one point that Elena is in a box because of Bonnie. Kai is the one responsible because he’s a psycho. Don’t use the excuse of Bonnie leaving him in the prison world with Lily’s family because Bonnie (I noticed you left out Damon in this when he had a hand in it too) had every right to do what she did to Kai, he was her abuser. Stop victim blaming. That’s one thing I hate about this show ppl stick up for the abusers and it’s sickening!

• No, no I just meant shorthand because of Bonnie, because of Kai (i.e because of what Kai did linking Elena to Bonnie), certainly not that it was Bonnie,s fault or she did it on purpose or anything like that. I don,t know what you mean leaving Damon out, he sacrifice Elena so Bonnie can live, again not blaming Bonnie or anything, what would have been wrong for Elena not to be in box because Damon killed Bonnie or did what Kai wanted. Basically is all Kai,s fault.

• Preach it!!!…Though I do love Ian! I think that he is trying to get dullena fans which are obsessed beyond reason to actually get them to see things in a different light. He wanted Bonnie and Damon to explore their insane chemistry but the obsessed writing girls couldn’t or wouldn’t see anything but dullena. They made it so the show couldn’t function without the 2 being together. It got even worst when Ian and Nina broke up because nian fans were falling apart. They ruined the show to the point an ending without dullena would create a worst reaction then the Bleach ending made.

14. Jason says:

Thank god he isn’t writing the show. It’s more Damon’s fault that all this trouble started for Mystic Falls than Stefan’s. I believe Damon will give up his immortatility to be with Elena and they’ll live out a mortal life. And ironically, Stefan, the guy who always longed to be human, will find peace in immortality with Caroline. The conclusion will be more about Stefan finally letting go of his brother than some self imposed suicide. The end will be bittersweet because we know there time together will be finite but well lived just the same.

• Mari says:

Unfortunately I can see Julie and Kevin doing something like this. Rewriting the whole show to fit Damon’s character. Stefan, the one who should be human and who has always wanted to be because he’s addicted to blood will turn out to be happy as being the thing he despises. – Hate that ending but can totally see it since Julie has been hoping that some of the cast goes to TO and this would give Stefan and Caroline a reason to go.

• Jason says:

It wouldn’t be rewriting anything. That’s the ending the show has been working towards for years. And Stefan’s feelings about being a Vampire have evolved because of Caroline. She helps center him. And she doesn’t want to be human again because she became her best self after the transformation. The biggest shift would be for Damon because he loves being a Vampire. But at the end of season 6 he came to terms with it. If Kai hadn’t gotten involved, they would have already gone through with it. There are people who will always want Stefan and Elena together but that ship has sailed. And in my opinion, the story has been more interesting for it.

• Steph says:

In a lot of other opinions, fans do want Stefan and Elena together and have their human life together. Both Julie and Kevin have stated that this show is about them. You can see how the show was progressing towards their restoration UNTIL Nina told Julie she was leaving in season 6. Julie already said it was heading back to them and the reason Elena ended up with Damon was because when Nina left Elena was still shackled to Damon. So of course Julie has to stick with the decision she made in season 6 (DE/SC) because I highly doubt Nina will be coming back for more than the finale. You can bet if Nina would’ve stayed or if she would consent to more episodes your little DE/SC ending wouldn’t be happening. So congrats I guess on the fake pairings.

15. Regina Hann says:

Damon & Elena should end up together. It’s an epic romance!

• They are not epic they are tragic and unhealthy. They bring out the worst in each other. They should have stayed as friends.

• You’re so on it. I’m going to let you in on something:

Julie Plec & Caroline Dries wanted to extend the love triangle beyond S2.

Kevin didn’t.

In the episode “Rose” (2×08) Kevin closed that chapter. Stefan & Damon grew a great deal when they embarked on a road trip to save Elena who had been kidnapped. After returning to the boarding house Stefan revealed why he forced Damon to complete his transition. Damon realized something: He needed Stefan more than he needed Elena. That’s why Damon compelled Elena to forget he told her he loved her. Julie & Caroline had other plans. When they saw the direction Damon was heading with Rose (Katherine’s sire) on paper that didn’t sit well with them. Because in their eyes Damon was only supposed to have feelings for Elena and only Elena. Julie & Caroline cut their losses by getting rid of Rose so they could re-construct the love triangle and the feud between Stefan & Damon. But they didn’t stop there. In the episode “The Last Day” (2×20) Julie & Caroline had Damon release Tyler from the tomb so Damon could get infected. The sequence when Klaus wanted Stefan to sacrifice his humanity to save Damon’s life was written entirely by Julie Plec & Caroline Dries. Now let’s get to S3. Julie & Caroline did not want Stefan to return to normal too soon. They wanted Stefan to be reckless throughout S3 so they could continue bringing Damon & Elena closer together. S4 was beyond terrible. TVD would have been irresistible if Julie & Caroline had kept Elena human and made Alaric the primary villain. But instead they chose to kill him off just so they could satisfy their obsession with Damon & Elena.

• Well they needed a way to bring in The Originals and make more money after all so lets give them a break. Lol…It has always been an obsession with those two girls concerning dullena. They ruined the show and made it so that dullena fans wouldn’t watch without them together. Why chain the brothers to the face of the woman that ruined them? Why not be original and have them find true love outside of the doppleganger curse? Cause that would make too much sense! Have them grow and find happiness without Elena aka Katherine 2.0? Never! lol…If they can explore Steroline why not Bamon? (Sorry if you’re not a Bamon fan ^^’) A witch and a vampire who have had to literally die in order to find each other. There were scenes those 2 had together purposely left out so that it couldn’t be developed.They always worked together to get the job done, both putting everything on the line for those they love even if no one else agrees with the method or wants to do it. They are the meaning of true love to me. Damon finally chose to have Bonnie live and, I know it’s not for Elena But, for himself. When he chose to do the 3 year time skip I knew the 2 obsessed dullena writers were going to keep Damon chained to Katherine 2.0 coffin. Once again they find ways for Damon to regress because this unhealthy pain riddled lie of an “epic romance” is far more important than his or her growth and happiness. For Bonnie they give her Enzo, the vampire whom she has really no chemistry or past with. Of course that makes more sense for her to brake her moral code with! lol These writers have treated these characters like dirt and its a shame they didn’t explore avenues that made more sense and had passion but, whatever its the last season. I don’t really think Kevin coming back will make much difference since one obsessed girl remains…besides they invested way too much in dullena fans to live outside of the lie they whole heartedly created and brake the curse (even if the actors themselves did not want to continue with the farce of a romance)…P.s I call them girls because they refused to have the cast truly grow and be better. Plec and Dries are fangilrs that only see dullena…P.s #2 My favorite character is Damon because he is heavily flawed, the perfect anti hero that still has the hero charm and dabbles quite a lot with it. The constant fight within himself to be who he believes he should be and who he truly is. He’s grey with a bit more black than white. That is why I want his true happiness and love without Katherine 2.0. Seeing the brothers leave finally at peace with each other and without the curse constantly shadowing them is fine by me! Especially since I know Bamon won’t happen.

• Max says:

LMAO…what in the world is epic about them? The fact that he kills her friends and family if she doesn’t play his girlfriend or the fact that she and all the other characters devolved so fan girls could get what they want? Let’s not forget how the history, mythology and plot was rewritten all for this ‘epic’ toxic ‘romance’. Julie and the actors have called what they have toxic people can like whatever they want just don’t lie about what the actual relationship was. I’m glad Elena’s gone and if Nina comes back I hope it’s in the form of Katherine.

• Amen to that. Julie Plec & Caroline Dries are the worst thing to happen to “The Vampire Diaries”. Their nonstop obsession with Damon & Elena destroyed TVD to the core and S4 is a perfect example. Julie & Caroline should have used common sense and crossed Alaric over into S4. That would have made the show irresistible. You have villain who’s not just a threat to the primary characters he’s a threat to the entire vampire race. For Julie & Caroline to kill off Alaric just so they could satisfy their obsession with Damon & Elena was beyond stupid. And don’t get me started on how they incorporated Candice’s pregnancy into the show. That was the most retarded storyline I’ve ever seen on Primetime.

Anyway Caroline Dries is gone and Kevin is back on as the executive prodcuer/screenwriter. That has been the miracle TVD has desperately needed since “The CW” renewed the show for a second season because Julie Plec has done enough damage to “The Vampire Diaries” & “The Originals” to last a lifetime.

16. I love vampire diaries 😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😘😍😘

17. I rather there would be a Bamon ending! But the brothers leaving town together alone would be cool not die though Ian. See, I am a more of a supernatural girl than a humanity girl. Humanity to me is questionable at best and gross right now. I agree, leave Elena without the brothers but not because I see her as a victim but because to me she’s the true guilty one. She got between the two brothers knowing the history and I see her as selfish too. She is a doppleganger anyway so she never was just a sweet innocent girl. Her life was already not normal just for that. Everyone else a witch, a warewolf, a vampire killer, etc…LIfe for that crew was never going to be normal. The brothers just got the ball rolling…I know I won’t get my Bamon ending, which Ian was for before, but neither ending up with Elena would be just fine. Dullena was never healthy as more than friendship.

18. Anshika says:

19. Anshika says:

I absolutely agree with him…I think both the brothers dying in the end or choosing one other will be a bitter-sweet ending..I hope Elena lives a normal human life and Mystic Falls turns into a normal happy town again….I don’t want DELENA, STELENA OR STEROLINE….TEAM SALVATORE

20. It’s not so much Delena but that Stefan and Damon are responsible and to blame for everything and should die. Like wth.

21. Maurice says:

I love the vampire diaries and I want the series finale to be about the salvatore brothers I think in the end all they really need is each other not elena. I also hate how the show runners are trying to get nina back ane kill off Bonnie just to give dullena fans the ending they want. I will always favor the first 3 seasons over seasons 4,5 and 6 because the early seasons the writers actually focused on good story telling and not about what dullena fans wanted. They ruined Elena’s character after getting her with damon and its a shame because Elena used to be one of my favorite characters but now I can’t stand her. I want the last season to be epic and the series finale to be about stefan and damon not an hour of dullena sex.

• Zed says:

So agree. The toxic abusive Dellena relationship ruined the show after season 3- and in the end they should show that this kind of relationship is not love and not a healthy relationshup at all- let Elena have an epiphany and open her eyes and remove herself from it. This show is about a journey for all the characters – and it shows a really messed up winding road for all of them- and in the end it should show how pitfalls and bad decisions can in the end make you stronger and that you can rise above the darkness withun you and around you and go forward into something new and better.There is so much more out there- #ElenaPhoenix!

• Caroline Dries & Julie Plec is the worst thing to ever happen to “The Vampire Diaries”. Their nonstop obsession with Damon & Elena destroyed TVD to the core and S4 is a perfect example. They should have used common sense and crossed Alaric over into S4. That would have made the show irresistible. You have a villain who’s not just a threat to the primary characters he’s a threat to the entire vampire race. For Julie & Caroline to kill off Alaric just so they could satisfy their obsession with Damon & Elena was beyond stupid. And don’t get me started on how they incorporated Candice’s pregnancy into the show. That was the most retarded storyline I’ve ever seen on Primetime. Anyway Caroline Dries is gone and Kevin Williamson is back on as the executive producer/screenwriter. That has been the miracle TVD has desperately needed since “The CW” renewed the show for a second season because Julie Plec has done enough damage to “The Vampire Diaries” & “The Originals” to last a lifetime.

22. Zed says:

Ian makes super sense! I would like to see Elena get her life back- away from all the vampire darkness and go explore what is out there in the world and find herself, her true self!!! Both Salvatores should let her go if they love her so much!

23. People always bang on about the brothers ‘ruining’ Elena. Fact is Elena was never great, she was always selfish and hurt people. Being a vamp only ampliflies who you were as a human and Elena was always selfish and got what she wanted (hence Caroline’s resentment) Nothing to do with the Salvatore brothers. I can’t be the only one who actually preferred vamp Elena (humanity switch on) It was about her accepting all sides of herself and not pretending to be perfect or a ‘saint’ which she wasn’t. Flawed Elena is best Elena. Nobody wants to see a bland, sinless perfect Mary Sue who can do no wrong or that pretends she is while hypocritically still being selfish and getting what she wants, etc.

• Max says:

Yes Elena is a flawed character and was before becoming a vamp I don’t know anyone who thinks otherwise. The problem is they made Elena lose her agency after becoming a vamp and it’s due with them putting her with Damon. It would be different if she was actually independent and dating him but she is no one outside of him and that’s where ppl have the problem. She became a thoughtless brainless female all for a guy, they even had Caroline call her Damon’s lap dog. The writers did a terrible job with vamp Elena whether intentional or not. I know you’re pro Defan and that’s fine but why can’t they have a happy ending without Elena, who says them being happy can’t be without her?

• I wouldn’t mind Defan and them having a happy ending without Elena. The problem is they only have one season left so they have to wrap up everything properly without it feeling forced.Same reason as I’m not up for a rushed Bamon. Though I thought it great Damon has moved beyond Elena in Bonnie (not necessary meaning romantic here but caring about her in general) Also enjoyed his relationships with Alaric, and of course Stefan. Regardless of what one thinks about Delena though they have been through a lot, so much, ever since the start, they had been building towards that from the beginning, even since before Stefan, since Elena and Damon met first, and they had seasons and seasons. In the end they resolved everything, Damon gave Elena the cure, he was going to become human and they were going to have a human life and family together. As a female I’m not one to think being in love makes you any less or being with someone and in a family whether you are male or female lessens you. You can have all that and be independent or not, it’s not my place to judge (I sometimes think there is too much pressure on people to do everything though, like you are expected to have a job, work, run a house, raise a family, be fit, and look good, as well as everything that entails, not everyone is that strong, personally I don’t look down in those who have less or do less than I do) Huuh, I don’t see it that way personally, at least not all that way. Elena still went to college, and she still had her own thing with the med work and being medical student and helping at the infirmary with Dr Jo and the patients, etc. Maybe I just always try to look for any positivity in things or that just means more for me, but yeah I just don’t see Elena the same as others might do, I still find things to enjoy or respect about her. All for a man I guess I just don’t see it as all black or white as that. One could easily say for Damon or Stefan it was all for a woman it that case, and it was a woman who ruined them (Katherine) but yeah it’s not so simple and there is more to the story. So yeah though I’m pro Delena, pro Defan, and would be pro Bamon if they had enough time to do that justice.

• Also as an idea the Delena ending I would like to see would have Elena independent while still and love and raising a family. They would have everything, jobs, work, beautiful house, garden, the kids, everything they dreamed of, etc. Which is p unrealistic yeah but hey it’s just a tv show and those are meant to make dreams come true, those of us who can’t have everything have TV. They would share roles, sometimes Damon would cook, sometimes Elena, share chores, share looking after the kids, etc. Damon would be encouraged to spend time with non Elena people, prerusing and deepening his friendships with Bonnie, Alaric, etc. They would grow and learn together as humans, make human mistakes, have human arguments, etc, get through it all together and end up old with a life well lived. Damon would get the human life he was so scared of, but he’ll know he’s not alone, and has people who care and he can rely on, Elena would get passion, adventure, and get to fulfill her personal dreams too. Defan now, Defan is fine, just not with them dead ;P

• Laura says:

Whatever YOU think of DE they were not building anything from the start “even before Stefan”. It was plain as day that Elena was and is the Katherine Damon wanted. There are so many scene parallels of the four of them, I’m talking exact scenes of DK and DE where Katherine and Elena are doing and saying the same things. They had Damon say it over and over again that he “finally got the girl”. That’s been the theme of their entire relationship. Julie Plec, you know the writer and creator, has said numerous times that DE is all about Damon. Until they retconned and inserted scenes in s6 they had nothing in regards to a relationship. It was even hinted that she was still sired bonded to him in 6×7 when the writers had Damon say I’m letting you go. I’m not sure you were getting the above posters comment either about Elena not having agency, there’s nothing wrong with sharing your life with someone it’s when you make them your whole life without regards for yourself is when it’s destructive. I don’t know how Plec and Williamson plan on ending the series but I certainly hope whatever they decide on makes sense because the last four seasons hasn’t made any. Anyway happy shipping!

• It’s not about what I think but JP said Elena has been touched in the soul by Damon from the start. Based on the fact of the scene where Damon met Elena first and wished her a great life. That’s what I meant by that, they were already setting the stage for that. I know there is a novel series which the show is based off and I forgot exactly what happens in it but I think Elena winded up in a relationship with Damon in it too. Basically it’s more regardless of what we think, which I or anyone might think that already happened I think. This is why I don’t rag on JP, if Damon and Elena did already happen she just took it from the source material. She didn’t just pull it out of her ass. There was backstory, history they were working from and building to (regardless of the quality, people didn’t just get it from nowhere. Things like their first meeting, Damon finding Elena’s necklace and returning it to her as a symbol of hope for her and Stefan when they were trying to find Stefan, Elena being there for Damon when he had the werewolf bite, Damon being there for Elena at the Mystic falls dance, Elena saying you have lost things and showing support, etc, all from the earliest seasons,all of these events and so on happen and exist, people didn’t just make them up. Also thanks, same goes :)

• TJ says:

Wow you really are DElusional if you believe any of what you said @ M funtimedancer. You obviously haven’t been watching tvd nor listening to the creators.

• For Defan though I’m not entirely sure what kind of ending I’d want for them, should they ride off into the sunshine together or no. Part of me thinks that might be kind of selfish and more like running away from everything. Maybe they should stay and deal and help with everything and ensure Mystic Falls and it’s people prosper. Perhaps as humans, but single but happy, still with the ones they love but not coupled up. I’ve entertained the idea before all of the cast ends up single, everyone still loves each other because there are different kinds of love, but yeah they’ve all formed strong bonds and work together for the greater good. If the guys stay, as humans, and help out,that would be what serperates them from Katherine and others.

• Ah I was wondering if I was going to get attacked sooner or later. Congrats on outing yourself for what you are. I’d rather be what I am than name call abuse others for taking everything into account and not ignoring physical scenes which literally exist. Don’t care call me delusional when those scenes do exist, you have no right to tell anyone they obviously haven’t been watching or listening to anything when those scenes exist in actuality and physically. Anyone can post the proof of the footage of and links to those scenes but what is sad that anyone should have to do that because anyone who would deny their existence would attack others just because of what they saw in reality, what was physically screen. Attacking others and trying to question or warp their sanity is the lowest of the low and I’m glad I’ve managed to stay out of this fandom and away from such people on the whole.

24. Lee says:

Funny how Ian has changed since he and Nina broke up. The show suffered because they could not keep their personal life separate from their professional life. Maybe if they had both been focused on their acting and not their “acting” it would have been better all around. When it became the “Ian diaries” the show stopped being good. It’s been on a slow burn since season 3. I just hope that everyone has been wise with their savings and laid back money to live on. Can’t see them really getting work after this show ends. No one will know who they are. Ian will not draw the fandom that he once had when this show ends. Good luck to everyone in the cast.

25. Also Stefan already let her go and Damon tried to but she kept on coming back, why? Because she’s selfish and gets what she want. Damon already managed to let her go in the end and made that sacrifice by choosing to save Bonnie anyway. Don’t get me wrong Elena does have positive qualities, but tired of when people act like or think she is the only one.

26. Cas says:

I am not watching until I know the ending :) But seriously I would love it if they got together. And I can’t help but this his past relationship with Nina is what is causing his reasoning. Also, while they may have caused chaos in her life eventually it would have happened. She was a doppleganger and someone would have figured it out and then she would probably have just died.

27. Kelsey says:

i hope they don’t end up together.

28. Ostra says:

Even if I liked Delena relationship as Elena and Damon looked both sexy together as a couple. Elena did have an important role on the show like most characters, but since she was the main start they have to focus more on her and her life than the other characters. But something along the way happened that made her character not tolerable anymore as it was focus more on her the stories and the other characters were degrated to like secondary characters. They should had all the character have an equal performance and stories but that never happened and the show became a pile of stupid lame, stories.

Now that the show ends this season. I think Elena character has to return to the way she was when she was likeable and tolerable, now that she is human now, in case the EP would want Nina to return, enjoying her time with her friends, even if they are now vampires but her. Damon and Stefan will always be brothers no matter what, and as you could see even with all the obstacles they both had respectively in their lives, they always stick to each other, they love each other so much and the link between them is so strong as brothers, that since the show began 6 or 7 yrs ago, their characters always are helping each other trying to get each other out of dangerous and risky situations, they are always there for each other no matter how mean, murderer or villanous either one is, they are there for each other always.

So I guess the show should end with Stephan and Damon to be the brothers they are always had been, sure their presence in Mystic Falls had runined everyone lives and one responsible for that was Katherine, that woman was the beginning of all the bad things that happened in Mystic Falls and that had ramifications in the following seasons since they first came to that city.

They could both leave town and be vampires in other town or tey could become human again and the rst of the characters become human again and return to the Mystc Falls they once love and when they had normal lives.

29. dale Sliffe says:

TBH, i liked the books, the original books, the show was okay, before the writers caved under per pressure and put E with D, never liked that, D was a murder..oh!! but it wasnt his fault!! it’s his nature!!,,,yeah, a murderer regardless, so after season.. after they killed the aunt, i stopped watching it, to far off the books for me.

30. Amber says:

I fell in love with the show because of damons love for elena! !!!!!!!!!!! hear him say that breaks my heart because it was always supposed to be Elena and Damon….. that’s what’s kept the story going for so long it would be such a bad ending and let down if that didn’t happen. #delena

• Mari says:

How was this always suppose to be Elena and Dmaon? Have you heard KW talk about what this show was about, I can tell you it had nothing to do with E and D being together. Go watch the tvd goodbye video.

• Kat says:

Do you mean Damon’s love for Katherine?

31. Shawnda Phillips says:

Obviously a lot of us are in love with a sinking ship… Delena was on fire… They were smoking hot, but maybe they went down in flames “graveyard love” I’m still all for a Delena endgame, but maybe I’m just Delena Delusional when the actors that make up the Passionate duo seems to have jumped shipped themselves… Just end the show in a respectful way don’t insult your fans intelligence!

• Kat says:

The only respectful way is either let Elena live her life away from the brothers or she really died on the bridge.

• TJ says:

A lot of us only saw fire between de when Damon set Elena’s coffin on fire. A lot of us are happy that Nina ended de. Thank you Nina!

32. Nichole says:

The show is Vampire Diaries and it started with Elena writing about her experiences and when she went off the show how do you continue with Vampire Diaries if nobody’s writing them so Elena needs to come back to finish the story even if it means losing Damon and ending up alone to find herself as a vampire

• Ermagherd says:

Yeah I noticed that too, the whole diary thing went out the window quite quickly. Oh well, I suppose when you start to mature, that kinda thing stops naturally. Unless you’re an immortal who just finds a better hobby in skulking after ancient doppelganger looka likeys!

33. Hurley says:

Since Elena is a doppelganger, (per the story line:)her life would almost inevitably have been dramatically affected one way or another, by Klaus or otherwise. Having Stefan and Damon gave her “protectors.” We watched and fell in love with the love story and the main characters. I hope we can see an ending that still keeps the love!

34. Stacey says:

TVD seasons 1 -3 will always be the best in my book. Excellent plots, twists, character development, and compelling storylines. Once KW left, it went downhill. DE could have been epic, but Plec handled it badly, especially with that sire bond nonsence. I don’t dislike DE but I find it kinda flat due to the writing, it wasn’t handled properly. The worst was S5, that finale still makes me cringe. Hoping for a satisfying ending regardless.

35. Maria says:

Call me crazy but i still have hopes for elena to come back and finaly be with stefan again !!! I loved the show because of them!! I totaly would love claus and caroline to end up together and damon with bonnie

36. Amanda says:

Ok this might be long please read it. This might make the fans happy if u think about this ending I have in mind.
    Well I think Damon shouldnt end up with Elena in the end. I think Damon should have a happy ending with his bother. Like not feeling hate with one other. Taking there rings off and dying together. And carline having a sad death scene. And Bonnie and Matt and also Jeremy death 60 or so years later. After that Elena wakes up and goes to the house to find her love but dosent Damon left her a note explaining his death and telling her to live her life being happy a life she deserves and she also finds everyone’s journals they left for her. I think Elena deserve a ending to.

• Amanda says:

Oh I forgot to say carline has a death scene or end up with klous happy I think that’s how u spell his name lol

• Jessie says:

I don’t think a lot of people would be happy if the brothers died. If they live, at least they can pop over to the Originals now and again…if not permanently….

37. Laurie r says:

Damon and Elena

38. Youngmir says:

I think his optimistic view is absolute bs look we get it you and forever can’t stand each other we’re good with that we get but don’t give us that load Ian please! If you don’t want to work with her or the wife is against it so be it but don’t jive us with niceties humanity sucks that’s why just about everyone choose to turn whether not given the initial choice or full on lets do it turn me! Nobody in my opinion watches to see the boring human day to day it’s called the vampire diaries for peets sake! I think dobrev should finish the show only since it’s ending and she was a major focal point I the story but other than that I could happily do without her whiny character (no slight to nina I’d marry you in a heartbeat!) I agree neither of them should get the girl only because she needs a solid guy not in immortal pansy… bring old Damon back and I’d reconsider…not being a hater Ive watched and loved since day one just my peace.

39. It’s impossible to know how much Ian’s preferred ending has to do with his perhaps not wanting Nina back. I, however, have always thought that the show IS first and foremost about the Salvatore brothers. And I’ve always thought that Damon will die – heroically of course – in the season finale.

40. MelissaAluisio says:

I love Damon and Eleana together ,but I think that Damon needs to get his emotional self in check before Eleana is set to wake from casket ,or he might as well just join her as they would never survive….

41. Lisa says:

I can’t stand the thoughts of elana and Damon not reuniting. From the moment she left it’s what I’ve held out for. Their love seems so real. I would be very disappointed if anything else occurred. Yes Damon has been the devil at times, but he didn’t ask for it either.

42. Hannah says:

The only reason he’s even saying this is because him and Nina aren’t together and now he’s married to a control freak who can’t even let him do his job and give his fans what they want and what the whole show was built around.

43. cat says:

As long as Damon finds happiness I don’t really care how it ends. I like this ending.