Exclusive
Chicago Fire Spoilers

Chicago Fire Premiere Sneak Peek: Will Gabby's Worst Nightmare Come True?

Chicago Fire‘s Gabby has worked hard to become a firefighter, but her new role as foster mom is causing her to second-guess that career choice.

In this exclusive video from next Tuesday’s Season 5 premiere (NBC, 10/9c), Gabby confides in Herrmann her fears about little Louie becoming an orphan again due to her and boyfriend Casey’s dangerous professions.

“Casey and I are running into the same burning building,” she muses, tearfully. “And sometimes, things go wrong, and if they do, then Louie’s… alone again.”

“You just discovered the hardest part of this job for any of us mothers [and] fathers,” Herrmann responds, before reassuring her, “You are a great firefighter, and you are a great mother. You got this.”

Press PLAY below to watch the emotional moment, then hit the comments with your thoughts on whether the firefighter is right to be worried.

1. sunshine says:

They keep writing larger parts for Dawson who I always disliked intensely. I’ll probably give the show up rather than watch some soap with her at the center of mommy issues. There are so many cool actors on the show yet they keep making her the center of plots that die because she’s in them.

• Nancy says:

If these are your feelings, I’m surprised you haven’t given up the show by now. 4 years in and I don’t see them changing the formula.

• wrstlgirl says:

This show has such a great cast of characters that are constantly background noise for the Gabby show. It’s ridiculous that everything has to include her in some way or another. I mean she literally told Casey, the supposed love of her life, that she was adopting Louie “on her own”, without him, whether he liked it or not. No discussion, nothing. And of course, he goes crawling to her because it’s all about Gabby all…the…time. Don’t get me wrong, I love Chicago Fire, but there is way to much Gabby groveling.

• Kel says:

Couldn’t have said it better! Why on earth would Matt go crawling back to her. She supposedly loves him and has since season 1 yet she won’t marry him and she flat out told him she was doing this without him. Time for Matt to move on and get a new love interest. So sick of the whole show revolving around Gabby and her drama.

• Vanessa says:

Yeah, I don’t get the complaints. Sure it’s a large cast but Casey Severide, and Gabby were always the three main leads imo, with Peter, Boden, and Shay completing the circle of focus characters and then everyone else.

If anything I would say that from season 1 to now the other characters (Cruz, Mouch, Otis etc.) have had increased airtime and focus from what they originally had so I don’t agree that they’re not using the rest of the cast enough. But the leads having more screentime and bigger stories is exactly how it’s supposed to work, so the complaint is odd to me.

• Nancy says:

I totally agree with this and couldn’t have said it better myself. This is the way the show has always been so I don’t get the complaints in season 5.

• mooshki says:

That’s why I stopped watching when they killed off Shay and it became The Dawson Hour. I still like to check in to see what’s happening, but nothing I’ve read makes me want to start watching again.

• Erin says:

I most definitely feel the same. I prefer it when show runners don’t listen to fans – they tend to end up in shippery messes, but in this case damnit they need to listen and go with what the show’s original formula.

Dawson’s been written more to the forefront every season and where it used to be Casey and Severide as the leads with a wonderfully utilized supporting cast of characters, now she gets more screen frontage and storylines over even the leads. TPTB even admitted that they killed Shay off because her death would have the most impact on people like Gabby. And she has become such a Mary Sue that can do no wrong – she wants to be a paramedic, she’s the best. Wants to be a doctor, sure. Before changing her mind where she wants to be a firefighter and of course she’s going to excel at that. Meanwhile everyone loves her, people leave her suicide notes even when they seemingly didn’t get along, she’s Hermann’s confidant after he’s injured even though the Chief, Mouch and even Casey have shown to be closer in the past. Ugh. The storyline with her pushing Casey towards being an Aldermann, then deciding she doesn’t really want to marry or him or necessarily have kids before randomly adopting a kid leaving Casey with no say and giving him two seconds to decide before she decides to go it alone and everyone supports her and they give her the kid even though she’s single, in a dangerous profession and is living in some brand new place where things are falling apart. Sure!

Ending my rant. I wouldn’t actually give up the show because of her (though I knew of people who have) as I adore it too much. I do feel like they did tamp down, a little, on how special snowflake her is and her screen time for most of last season. This article isn’t promising but… positive thinking!!! Plus there’s always the fwd option on my remote.

• Nancy says:

It’s completely false that they killed shay bc of the impact on Dawson. If anything they talked about its impact on severide. Also, they will never admit this but Lauren German wanted to leave the show.

• Erin says:

How is this false if there are written interviews where Hass or whoever said the most logical person to be killed off was Shay because of the impact on other characters – Severide AND Gabby and then they talked about it in detail re Gabby’s feelings. The TPTB didn’t help her character when they said that. Yet you somehow secretly know yet it’s never been said, that Lauren wanted to leave the show? Politics aside, it’s not her character vs her character (I really liked both) anyway nor some weird fandom war. The first seasons they were all on pretty even ground and then mostly season 3 Gabby got a huge amount of screen time probably partly in result of Shay’s absence as she used to get a decentish chunk.. and it’s been grossly uneven since.

• Mel says:

It’s interesting to see that the only people who thinks she is the best are anti-Dawson people and . I never thought she was portrayed too perfect, too badass or too something at least. If she got everything she wanted, at least she would have been married to Casey already, would still be on truck, having little babies right now.

So what should have she done as for your aprove? Forget about her dream for becoming a firefighter o a mother? So what if she chased her dreams? Thank God, our Casey is not an old minded person and let Dawson be herself instead of putting his wish first. It doesn’t make her bad and make Casey weak, actually the opposite. He is stronger than ever in my eyes right now. His character development since s 1 is amazing but you just can’t see it because I still don’t get the logic behind it but in your eyes everything seems about Dawson.
        I would never imagine Casey in s 1 opening himself to the people around him. He was a great leader but also was a closed box. Now he is an alderman and committed, still a great lieutenant.
        It’s no secret that Dawson sometimes acts without thinking and try to rush things ( she is not being portrayed perfect at all) but Casey didn’t want to marry her just because she wanted. He didn’t became the alderman just because she bought sexy clothes, like some people think or he didn’t come crawling back to her in the season 4 finale. He wanted a family since season 1 and finally it’s the right time for them both. Yeah they had their ups and downs like every normal couple. But putting all the blame on Dawson is not realistic at all. Also I couldn’t blame neither Dawson or Casey having doubts for the future after the loss of their baby. Who wouldn’t?

Everything you said about Gabby fits every other character at some point but again you just can’t see it.

About the screen time she gets… Lets’s take a look at s4. The only decent storyline Dawson had was the Louie thing. All the other little things didn’t even take longer than 2-3 minutes in per episode. There was so many other stories not related to Dawson and Dawsey, that took much longer screen time. Remember Casey and Stiletto? Herman’s stabbing and Cruz feeling guilty? Severide demoted? Jimmy and Boden? Otis’s illness? Mouch getting married? Casey dealing with the dirty politicians? The whole house supporting the little kid who lost his mother? Chili losing her twin sister? What about all the interactions these characters had? Remember? Which show do you watch?

Just because some character (or characters) isn’t acting like how you fantasized and idealized them in your mind, doesn’t make Dawson and Dawsey bad. Simple as that.

2. wrstlgirl says:

Gabby Gabby Gabby Gabby Gabby…….are there any other characters on this show??

• Chloe says:

They should rename it “The Gabby Hour”. I really was hoping that at the end of last season, when she was trapped in the burning building, that she wouldn’t survive. I’d never wish that on a real person, but on a TV character, especially a PITA one, no problem.

3. Nancy says:

Can’t wait for her to be back on ambo!

4. Wendy says:

Gabby wants to be a doctor! No, a paramedic! No wait, a firefighter! No, wait… For the love of God, have her pick a freaking career and stick with it. But then Gabby annoys me on a good day, anyway.

5. pat says:

I feel the same way about Gabby,in fact I didn’t watch the last two episodes from last year. They just sat on my DVR until I finally erased them. Will try the first episode and if it continues
    to be the Gabby hour I will try one of the new shows

6. a CF fan says:

Oh my god… This show is one of the most balanced storylines I have ever seen on tv. Sometimes it’s about Gabby, sometimes it’s about Casey, sometimes it’s about Severide, Boden, Herrmann or Brett… It’s been foue season like that and never changed. It’s a show about multi-characters and telling it’s all about Gabby is so stupid and sounds like a selective perception. Just because you don’t like her for a reason, you can’t be objective. If you don’t like a character just tell you don’t like her/him, you don’t have to find stupid excuses.

• Erin says:

I used to feel the same and think it was incredible how they managed the cast and storylines however it has changed the past few seasons. It’s nothing to do about objectivity. The two lieutenants used to be the leads but Gabby has most definitely been promoted above the rest of the characters, the story lines aren’t as effectively shared now as they once were. Even the promo photos show it – look at this season’s promo photos. It used to be Casey and Severide by themselves or in the forefront, now it has her (along with Brett) evenly placed alongside the two leads.

I think it’s extra jarring because there’s this progression alongside the fact they everything they do with her has people (onscreen) loving her. She solves the arson issue, she’s the shoulder to cry on, she’s the love interest of many, she’s an amazing fire fighter, an amazing mother. That with the extra screentime has fans whinging.

• a CF fan says:

But if we look at that way, for example, the show is Severide show at many points because as you said about Gabby, he helpes the arsons, he crossovers most, his father keeps coming, his friends everywhere, him losing Shay, he always saves everyone, always hero, every women likes him… Even he makes a mistake, the fans act like “awww poor him”… I can count you many more like this. I haven’t seen one single person complaining about him. Is it just because he is a lead, too handsome? No idea…

If he is one of the leads, Gabby is the female lead of the show and it has been like that since begining. That’s what I am trying to say about objectivity. Don’t get me wrong, I love Severide and I am ok with the way he is, like I am ok with Gabby. Just mention him to explain my point.

7. Yella says:

Good God, people! Chicago Fire certainly does not revolve around Gabriela Dawson, but if her character bothers you THAT much, then don’t watch the show!! If you’re so unhappy as a viewer, why continue to subject yourself to something you don’t like? So annoying.

8. Yolo says:

I’m so sick of Dawson and her always changing her mind. She’s my least favorite character of all three shows with Jay Halstead being a close second.

9. Jessica Diaz says:

Love her.

10. Alfonza says:

I’m watching for Louie. He’s so freaking cute. And Louie is played but The Cohen Twins so it’s fun to try and guess them apart.

11. macy says:

I wish for once they would have older actresses on these shows. And now we are going to have a romantic realtionship between brett and antonio???if the ages were reversed that would never happen

12. I LOOOOOOOOVE Monica Raymund. And she’s absolutely slaying Gabby Dawson!! What a show! I can’t wait for S5.

• sunshine says:

Pretty much every female has out shined Dawson in every way. Even those in minor roles had more interest than Dawson who is fairly blank most of the time.

13. Rebecca says:

This makes me cry. Can’t wait intill the first episode. The season finale of season 4 made me cry and I used a whole 2 boxes of Kleenexs by the end. I don’t know what I’m going to do for the Season premiere in 3 days.

14. liz says:

i love gabby,think shes great and if you dont like her,maybe you need to watch another show and quit complaining.