Diane Guerrero In the Country We Love Cast

OITNB Star to Lead Jane the Virgin Team's CBS Immigration Drama Pilot

For her next gig, Orange Is the New Black‘s Diane Guerrero will approach the legal system from the other side.

The actress, who plays inmate Maritza Ramos on the Netflix series, has signed on to portray a corporate attorney who begins defending undocumented immigrants for free in a drama in development at CBS, our sister site Deadline reports.

The drama pilot, titled In the Country We Love, is based on Guerrero’s recently published memoir of the same name, which chronicles her parents’ deportation to Colombia and the teenage Guerrero’s subsequent experience of having to live with and depend on friends. In the pilot, a family emergency outs Guerrero’s character as the child of deported parents.

Jane the Virgin‘s Jennie Snyder Urman, Paul Sciarrota and Ben Silverman will produce with CBS TV Studios. Sciarrota also will pen the script.

Guerrero plays Lina on Jane the Virgin; her TV resume also includes Blue Bloods and Person of Interest.

1. Big Mike says:

Oh boy, can’t wait to see what the Trump demographic has to say about this….

2. Phil says:

Always liked her on both Orange and Jane, so this is great news! Just remember to make the difficult topic entertaining! It’s still TV.

3. Jo k says:

Undocumented immigrant? So they came here legally but got kicked out just for losing their documents? That’s terrible! Just the other day I saw an undocumented shopper get arrested for walking out of a store without paying. I hope they make a tv show about that injustice as well!

4. Dani says:

So its kinda based on her parents. I actually do like her from Jane the Virgin even though she is barely on that show. Good to see that she finally has her own show

5. H says:

I used to wonder if she was transgender. I mean no disrespect but she gave me that impression. Anyone else?

6. kpflat says:

Undocumented? You mean ILLEGAL. If we want to call them “undocumented” then change the laws to make them all feel better in their safe spaces. But, until then, they are here, breaking our laws, so they are ILLEGALLY here. I don’t know why it is so difficult to do. We identify all criminals by the law they are breaking or have broken, yet we coddle these criminals. This isn’t the country my grandfather fought for in WWII or my father died fighting for in 1970 in Vietnam. It’s ok to call people criminals if that’s what they are. A show about a lawyer defending these criminals obviously panders to the liberal agenda in this country for sympathy for these criminals. I for one will never watch a moment of a show about someone who is guilty the moment they step foot in this country ILLEGALLY. Where is the defense? There is none. They are guilty. Enough already.

• Wee says:

Do you know what empathy is? If you don’t you should look up the term. I urge you to have a little empathy. It will help you go a long way.

7. unicornwasp says:

Nice to see such a small comment section that still manages to run the gambit from xenophobia to transphobia. Congratulations, everybody, on being as terrible as possible. You did it.

8. Wee says:

Stop, TVLine just stop right there. You had me at Diane Guerrero

9. Yarahi Ruano says:

I am very interested in sharing my story with the crew of the show. I also had my mom deported at the age of 14. June 5th, 2009. I’ve been on my own in this country ever since.

10. Cindy says: