DWTS Season 23

Dancing With the Stars Week 4 Recap: Did the Right Couples Go Home?

Dancing With the Stars certainly knows how to lighten the mood.

Despite the fact that Tuesday’s results show would ultimately send two couples packing, the hour-long broadcast was quite the festive affair — complete with a wedding proposal!

As the show returned from its second commercial break, pros Sasha Farber and Emma Slater — who have been dating for some time — performed a lovely contemporary routine, before host Tom Bergeron gave Farber the floor to propose to Slater. (Thankfully, in front of millions of people, she said yes.)

Full disclosure: I’m thrilled for the happy couple, but I may or may not have been more emotionally invested in that steamy all-male routine that took place halfway through the show. I mean, come on.

Before we get to the results, let’s break down Monday’s strongest and weakest performances:

BEST OF THE NIGHT
Laurie Hernandez and pro Val Chmerkovskiy (Jazz) — I know, I know — broken record, party of one. But Laurie and Val were just so dang good, prowling around the dance floor with ease and off-the-wall chemistry. Given that Laurie is only 16, her ability to be sensual and playful with Val — and not in a way that made viewers’ skin crawl — was an admirable feat, as was her fabulous footwork and unwavering energy. Judges’ Score: 30/30

BEST OF THE NIGHT (RUNNER-UP)
Terra Jolé and pro Sasha Farber (Samba) — The reality star may not have scored as high as James and Sharna or Laurie and Val, when all was said and done. But considering how unsexy and uncoordinated Terra felt in rehearsal, her samba — which was not only technically proficient, but hot, as well — remained one of the evening’s most memorable numbers. Judges’ Score: 25/30

MOST IMPROVED
Amber Rose and pro Maksim Chmerkovskiy (Argentine Tango) — As it turns out, the perfect ammunition for a sexy, captivating performance is an awkward miscommunication with Julianne Hough. After last week’s bootylicious salsa — which Hough said made her feel “a little uncomfortable” — Amber put aside any sheepishness about her curves and turned in the evening’s steamiest routine. Not every dance style will allow the TV personality to flaunt her assets, but the time was right on Monday evening, and boy, did she take advantage of it. Judges’ Score: 24/30

WORST OF THE NIGHT
Babyface and pro Allison Holker (Tango) — You know those miserable noises that Bruno Tonioli makes when he sees a contestant botching his or her routine? That’s exactly how I sounded on my couch Monday night, as Babyface and Allison’s tango completely fell apart. Not only did the duo fail to stay in their proper spotlights, but Babyface never recovered from a footwork slip-up early in the number, forcing him to essentially be dragged across the floor by his partner for the rest of the performance. Judges’ Score: 18/30

And now, your results:

ELIMINATED
Babyface and pro Allison Holker
Vanilla Ice and pro Witney Carson

Your turn, Dancing fans! Were Babyface and Vanilla Ice the right choices for elimination? Hit the comments with all of your thoughts on Tuesday’s results show.

1. Ash says:

Shocked by Vanilla Ice being eliminated. I like Amber, but I thought she’d go first. Or Maureen.

2. Jill says:

Maureen, Amber & Marilu should have gone before Vanilla Ice

3. AngelWasHere says:

Nope. Surprised Vanilla Ice git eliminated. Amber should have been in his place, but her “oh I’m being s*** shamed so don’t look at my lack of dancing” pity party earned her another week.

4. June says:

Vanilla Ice should not have been eliminated. no longer watching show

5. AngelWasHere says:

B/w I had no idea Emma and Sasha were dating. Quite a few relationships have come out of this show. Well congrats to them!

6. Louise says:

Sorry to see Vanilla Ice go. Amber should have gone before he did. He is a good dancer.

7. Arlene Lewis says:

Tara should go home.She looks rediculious out there & the only reason baby face went home is because Alison doesn’t know how to teach anyone

8. Sherry says:

I think Terra should have gone home. She’s a nasty, foul-mouthed little bully who is getting special treatment because she’s a little person. Besides, she should be home with her newborn baby.

• Tamara says:

I didn’t catch any of that behavior. Must be from her other show. I thought she was doing a good job on DWTS.

• ncmacasl says:

she is also a PRODUCER on those shows and the whole point of that genre of reality shows is to have DRAMA which equals RATINGS. Most of which is about as “REAL” as Pro-Wrestling!! Never seen her shows but her “package” on DWTS has been very postive as has her behavior and demeanor.

9. Jerry says:

I feel like James gonna be the Surprise elimination this season (The Sabrina Bryan of this season). Which sucks cause hes the only huge threat to Laurie. And wow Derek this is definitely your worse partner ever, wouldn’t be surprised if she ends your streak of making the quater-finals or higher….Amber with that “slut shaming” crap earned her another week…well played….and why did Maureen and Ryan not go home before Vanilla Ice ?? smh

• Anita says:

What if James get eliminated week 6 like Sabrina lol if that happened, that’s proof this show might be rigged

• ncmacasl says:

Maureen got ALL 22 of my votes this week (I dont do the phone thing) since she was one of my first TV crushes and she is just awesome. Plus she has improved A LOT!! The best Mid-Pack-er this week!! Folks forget the power of former latch key kids who grew up watching the Brady Bunch and are now DWTS’s key demographic!!

10. Jerry L says:

11. Anita says:

Come On james and sharna fans !!! Amber got the pity vote this week she will be gone by week 6…I feel like the producers keeping ryan cause this his second chance. If ryan beats Laurie, James, and Calvin this show rigged. Vanilla Ice was such a gentlemen, but I rather him go than Jana. GET RID OF MAUREEN !!! she be making artem mad lol

12. Chris says:

Kudos to Julianne for not apologizing when Amber went on a uh… Body shamming tangent (seriously Amber is a hypocrite shaming the ‘half naked’ girls that doesn’t get called out for dressing like that… but hey, twerking and full booty shaking is entertainment for the ‘whole family’ right?)

13. Sara says:

Maureen and Marilu should have gone before Vanilla Ice or Babyface. Maureen seems like a loose cannon. Seriously, is she drunk all the time? Her behavior is quite frankly bizarre. And I for one am super happy that Ryan and Cheryl are still in it. They were so good this week and he is clearly taking the advice and trying so hard to improve.

14. Trenda says:

No Amber Rose should have went home along with Maureen or lying Ryan not interested in seeing them

15. Tamara says:

I hated to see Babyface go. I’ve never watched the show before and was only watching to see him. It looks like a great group though; no obvious divas, at least not that I noticed. Vanilla Ice was fun to watch as well. Still, I think I’ll just watch the highlights on youtube since Babyface is gone.

16. Janet says:

Vanilla ice should not of went home Ryan should have not because of what he did. I just think vanilla ice did much better

17. Janet says:

I was shocked vanilla ice was voted off Ryan should of went home not because of what he did I just thought vanilla ice did so much better and his personality is so much better going to miss him

18. LaDonna says:

While I don’t think Vanilla Ice was the worst dance to go, I do feel like his elimination was appropriate. Someone made a similar comment yesterday on the performance show article, but it bears repeating…I’m really tired of celebs (particularly the musicians) who are in the middle of multi-date, cross country tours committing to this show and then going on and on about how “busy” they are. Everyone is busy, including the pros. If you don’t know your tour dates and whether they’re going to conflict with DRESS REHEARSAL (UGH!) then maybe it’s time to get a new manager or even just update the calendar app on your phone. I just think that if the celebs can’t commit to the schedule, they shouldn’t commit to the show. It’s not fair to their pro, it’s disrespectful of the other competitors and the production staff, and it’s especially unfair to their fellow competitors when they start doing the group dances later.

19. ncmacasl says:

Happy with the choices. both were mid-pack-ers. Amber must have many voters to keep her in this long. Vanilla was conflicted with all of his touring so was constantly behind where he should be at this point. If you want to win, this should be hte MAIN if not ONLY thing on your schedule (unless you already have good basic skills & energy like Laurie that just need to be tweaked, giving her time to do Olympic pressers and Presidential Meet-ups)

20. Leesa says:

I don’t think Vanilla Ice should have gone home.. I thought he danced better than some of the other celebrities… His personality is fabulous… As for Amber , I thought that she or Ryan should have gone… I really like Maureen.. Laurie is just too good, but she is adorable.. Congrats to the newly engaged couple…

21. ChellemaBelle says:

I was really surprised that Calvin didn’t score higher. Thought he deserved to be in Top 3 (Laurie-1, James-2).