The Gong Show Reboot

The Gong Show Reboot a Go at ABC

Stop us if this has a familiar clang to it.

ABC is rebooting another classic game show, this time the cheesy ’70s competition series The Gong Show, TVLine has confirmed. The network— already home to revitalized throwbacks $100,000 Pyramid, Celebrity Family Feud, Match Game and To Tell The Truth — has placed a 10-episode order for a new version of the ’70s favorite, which is being exec produced by Will Arnett.

“ABC has tapped into the nostalgia and excitement of primetime game shows,” said Rob Mills, SVP, Alternative Series, Specials & Late-Night Programming, in a statement. “We are thrilled to add The Gong Show to ABC’s schedule spearheaded by the incomparable Will Arnett.”

According to Deadline, which first broke the news, every episode will feature “non-traditionally talented performers” plucked from the internet and put in front of a revolving panel of Hollywood judges. ABC has not announced who will succeed Chuck Barris (who emceed the original ’70s version) as host.

1. Lange says:

The recent reboots have been meh due to poor choices of hosts. What made the Gong show a hit was the creepy magnetism of Chuck Barris. They missed the mark with Alec baldwin who is no Gene Rayburn. Being a game show host is a special niche and they aren’t doing well in the replacement area. Likability is key [see Pat Sajak and Alex Trebek].

• Pat says:

I disagree. Alec Baldwin is terrific as host of “Match Game”. Never liked him before this, but now I do. The best host out of all the recent game show reboots, in my opinion.

2. N says:

I have a gut feeling Will Arnett, since hes already producing it, just ends up hosting it himself, which wouldn’t be bad thing.

3. :-) says:

I’m enjoying the reboots. They seem more tame than the originals though

4. Tom says:

Yeah. No.

5. Kim R says:

Alec Baldwin cracks me up as Match Game host. He would be great at the Gong Show as well.

• Lange says:

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I enjoy Craig Ferguson on Celebrity Name Game. For me AB still comes across as a bully. For the Gong Show, I could see Ben Gleib, Rick Fox, Michael DeLouise or Ryan Seacrest as host.

• Will says:

Me: Alex…I’ll take “two words that destroy all credibility when speaking of good game show hosts” for 1000 please.
        Alex: He Hosted American Idol and almost every soul killing thing from this millennium and has zero personality…
        Me: Who is Ryan Seacrest?

6. ToyCannon says:

They must get French Stewart to host this show. Only he can do the “eye squint” like Chuck Barris.

7. Iakovos says:

ABC crossed the line with this project. This concept seems wrong for me in this age of YouTube and social media. Everyone has an audience. This is one reboot too many for the Alphabet.

8. Cranky says:

I loved this summer’s game show lineup, particularly Match Game. However, I’ve never enjoyed The Gong Show, I’ve always found it to be quite mean spirited. It’s likely one I’ll skip.

9. Rob Horine says:

They must have a (video taped) apperance of GENE GENE THE DANCING MACHINE!

10. Justsayin says:

Isn’t this just America’s got talent?

11. readenreply says:

So will it look like the old American Idol audition rounds that purposely features the inane, the stupid and the just plain bad?

• Peachy says:

Well said.

Of course, they’ll also put through the deluded and delusional, just for the sake of “good tv.”

12. MMD says:

Please no more reboots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the powers that be wonder why people are not watching network tv anymore.

13. Ro says:

I’m surprised to see that Chuck Barris is still alive!

14. c-mo says:

I only ever watched the original Gong Show to see the terrible acts…not sure that will fly in this day and age of excessive PC. I will not be watching.

15. There’s only one person I can think of who would work as the host of this show: Weird Al.

• Lange says:

A bit too frenetic to keep things running smoothly IMO. Of current game show hosts, naturally Pat Sajak and Alex Trebek are ideal, but I’d add Craig Ferguson as being exemplary.

16. TJ. Church says:

If you need someone, how about Grammy-winner, Billboard-topper (& history-maker), admitted “Gong Show” reject who claims to be done touring “Weird Al” Yankovic?!

He’s proven he can interact with a ton of different famous folks with different personalities!