Sherlock Season 4

Benedict Cumberbatch: Sherlock Might End After 'Very Complete' Season 4

For all you Sherlock fans waiting impatiently for the show to return next year, savor those episodes. Because they may be the last ones you get.

Benedict Cumberbatch, who stars as the titular sleuth in PBS’s modern-day reboot, tells the UK edition of GQ magazine that the upcoming fourth season of the show might be the final one.

“It feels like the end of an era, to be honest,” he says, adding that Season 4 “goes to a place where it will be pretty hard to follow on immediately.”

This isn’t completely unexpected: With both Cumberbatch and co-star Martin Freeman starring in big-budget blockbusters and showrunner Steven Moffat busy with a little show called Doctor Who, it’s always been tough to find time to film Sherlock. The last regular episode, not counting January’s holiday special “The Abominable Bride,” aired nearly three years ago.

But before you burst into tears and start burning your Sherlock scarves in anger, know that Cumberbatch hasn’t completely closed the door on the role: “We never say never on the show. I’d love to keep revisiting it. But in the immediate future, we all have things that we want to crack on with, and we’ve made something very complete as it is, so I think we’ll just wait and see.”

You hear that, Sherlock fans? Just wait. You’re used to that by now, right?

Are you shattered to hear Sherlock might be ending? Or is it time for him to hang up his deerstalker cap? Hit the comments and share your thoughts.

1. T H says:

I’m actually ok with with this; a few years ago he mentioned that he’d kinda like to one day be Old Man Holmes, so it would be really cool if we got a special every few years checking in on how he and John are doing with their lives as a sort of compromise.

2. Lisa Pritchett says:

Do we know when the next 3 (last 3?) will air?

• Brian says:

The UK premiere is January 1 (which was also the premiere date of seasons 2, 3, and The Abominable Bride). I don’t know if PBS here in America will premiere it the same day, but if not it likely won’t be more than a few weeks later.

3. J.Norman says:

He’ll do more sooner rather than later when his movie career stalls or if they give him a “little extra” to convince him to do more of these now.
    Amazing how they will find the time then.

It’s good to have leverage.

• BoomKing says:

British television doesn’t pay the type of money American television pays. Look at Matt Smith’s deal for Dr. Who: 200,000 Pounds a year for a 5 year contact. There are many American actors making that for a single episode of their TV show. Benedict made more for Dr. Strange then he was paid for every episode of Sherlock combined.

• No country pays the wages American TV does. Even the CW tends to pay better.

• ScottJ says:

Exactly right BoomKing. And the BBC doesn’t deal with “extras” and “leverage” either. They don’t have advertising dollars they can milk, although sometimes there are merchandising revenues. But generally if costs go up then shows get cancelled – regardless of how popular they might be.

4. I don’t mind them ending it. It’s better than getting a few episodes every couple years.

5. Anna says:

I might be in the minority, but I really am fine with it ending and frankly think it’s lost its sheen. For a couple reasons: firstly, that Series 3 was much worse than the previous two (possibly b/c of the hype, or just worse writing, IMO). But mainly, the huge gap between seasons means that there is a ton of time to just sit around and think about the previous season, making all the flaws more apparent than with an ordinary series, where the pace keeps you hooked in. I fell out of love with Sherlock a while back, but will at least keep up til the end.

6. Alichat says:

Noooooooooooooooooo…….

although I can completely understand but……

nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

7. garmain says:

First two seasons were fantastic, third was nothing memorable, the ‘flashback’ special sucked.
    Stick a fork it in have no interest in Daddy Watson story like, they are done.

• Arien says:

The writing has gone downhill after series 2. The acting is still good, but I won’t miss the show unless the stories improve massively in series 4.

Isn’t Moffatt done with Dr. Who after the next season?

8. garmain says:

Stick a fork it in have no interest in Daddy Watson story like, they are done.

9. Sharona says:

I would love it if they occasionally revisited the show through the occasional movie/Christmas special, but if the series itself ended here that would be fine. There were things I enjoyed about S3 but I think it’s harder for the writers to get back into it than the actors…who have to be nearly impossible to schedule.

10. jill long says:

I’ll wait and keep wait…
    And see 4 ……then wait….

11. Christina Keenan says:

I have enjoyed Sherlock when it’s been aired. I watched episodes many times. The Abominable Bride was great. If season four is the end, it would sad. Of course it is good to go out on a high note.It is also good to keep it classy.

12. daddyhulec says:

First we lose “Jekyll”, now “Sherlock”. I get it, Cumberpatch & Freeman are really good actors, but together they are great. BBC really has good TV. There is a reason its show are copied so much. I’ll miss another great show, but refuse to watch “Elementary” as a substitute.

13. dman6015 says:

No problem. I’ll take a new 3-episode season of Sherlock any time they want to do one. That’s better than noSherlock ever again.

14. Cindy Barth Silberblatt says:

BC is one of the very best Sherlocks and a marvelous actor. I look forward to seeing any future Sherlocks and also any movies BC may make. But, it’s such a good series I do wish it would continue as long as possible. Thanks to those who have entertained and intrigued us.