Ratings: Madam Secretary Premiere Down, But on Par With Good Wife

CBS’ Madam Secretary christened its new, later time slot on Sunday with 9.4 million total viewers and a 1.1 demo rating (pending any NFL-delayed adjustment), down from its previous premiere (11.8 mil/1.4) but up from its May finale (10 mil/1.0) and on par with The Good Wife‘s year-ago opener in the 9 o’clock slot (9.3 mil/1.2).

Opening the Eye’s night, NCIS: LA (11.5 mil/1.5) matched its premiere. At 10 pm, Elementary returned to 6.3 mil and a 0.8, down from its previous (Thursday) opener (5.6 mil/1.1) but up versus its May finale (5.5 mil/0.7, on a Sunday).

Elsewhere….

ABC | Once Upon a Time (3.7 mil/1.1) slipped two tenths, Secrets and Lies (3.7 mil/0.9) dipped one tenth and Quantico (3.6 mil/1.0) was steady.

FOX | The Simpsons (6 mil/2.6), Son of Zorn (3.6 mil/1.6) and Family Guy (3.5 mil/1.6) all enjoyed meaty NFL boosts, while Last Man on Earth (2.5 mil/1.) ticked up one tenth.

NBC | Sunday Night Football (16.7 mil/6.1) is currently down 10 percent from last week’s fast nats.

Cable ratings (e.g. Westworld, Fear TWD finale) famously come in much, much later and as warranted are reported under separate cover.

1. JenE says:

Hmm. Once Upon a Time down again? Perhaps not everyone wants all the Regina overkill after all. I can barely take one Regina but two is way too much. So if the Regina sycophants are saying its such a great episode then where are the eyeballs? Balance would be nice. So would Emma getting her head out of her ass and filling her family in on her secret. More David and Snow too(especially if they remember that Emma is their daughter and not Regina)

2. wrstlgirl says:

Not thrilled with the move to a later time for Madam Secretary but I’ll deal :-) Thought it was a great episode and I like the direction this season seems to be taking.

3. Boiler says:

Too bad for Elementary demo but would think smart advertisers would rather have CBS viewers rather than ABC. Perhaps ABC should have moved Nashville to Sunday

4. JDaig says:

The 1st 2 seasons were so well-written and acted. This 3rd season opener seemed quite different. The acting was still strong, but the story line had more liberal ties. The main 3 characters used to be quite pragmatic, but in this episode they changed on a dime, turning quite emotional. I found it disappointing and I wonder if they changed writers. Let’s see what the next couple of shows come up with.

5. Gail L says:

I definitely do not understand the move to Sundays at 8 for NCIS LA. First, the subject matter can be rather rough for children and second, football overruns. I like to dvd and keep the episodes. But if I’m not there to start it when it finally starts and stop it I have a ton of space used for overrun and the second half is under a different title…thanks Time Warner :(!

6. Peachy says:

Yay for “The Simpsons”! Six million viewers!

Football overrun or not, that’s awesome.

7. MdaVT says:

Sadly the Madam jumped the shark with its over-the-top wet kiss to the climate change BS. I’ve been a regular viewer, but I’m on to something else now.

8. John NYC says:

I watched it with a lack of enthusiasm and the hour changed my mind. It stays.

9. IDK says:

Son Of Zorn is rating well?! I did not see that coming.

10. rose says:

Shows coming on too late. I guess football reigns.