Chicago PD Justice Jon Seda

Chicago P.D.'s Jon Seda on His 'Unprecedented' Move to Justice

Chicago P.D.‘s Antonio is on the move to spinoff Chicago Justice — but he’s not leaving his old unit behind forever.

Even though the detective will shift to NBC’s legal offshoot as a series regular later this season, actor Jon Seda tells TVLine he’ll be visiting Intelligence plenty in the future. In fact, Antonio will be jumping between the franchise’s many dramas all season long.

“He’ll be crossing over. It’s really going to be seamless,” Seda says of the transition. “I’m shooting all three shows right now at the same time — [Chicago] Fire, P.D. and Justice.”

RELATED Chicago P.D. Preview: ‘Linstead’s’ Investment, Voight’s Grief, the Unit’s New Duo and More Season 4 Scoop

The juggling act comes courtesy of not only a job promotion for the character, but also new relationship and familial drama. In addition to exploring how Antonio’s budding courtship with paramedic Sylvie “affects his sister Gabby” on Fire (premiering Oct. 11), “there’s also some family issues that we’ll be looking at,” Seda previews.

Read on for Seda’s thoughts on Antonio’s big move to the State’s Attorney’s office, his unpredictable romance and more.

TVLINE | How did you find out that Antonio would be transitioning from Chicago P.D. to Justice?
It was [executive producer] Dick Wolf’s idea. He came to me and presented the situation to me of Antonio moving from P.D. to Justice. At first, it was kind of like, “What do you mean? I don’t understand.” It really is an incredible, incredible thing to do. It’s unprecedented to have a character start on Chicago Fire, then be spun off to Chicago P.D. and now be spun off again to Justice, and it’s all in the same franchise. It’s pretty amazing.

TVLINE | In terms of the timetable, when does Antonio go to being full-time on Justice?
I’ll be doing the first eight episodes on P.D. After that, it will be Justice from then on.

Chicago PD Justice Jon SedaTVLINE | What spurs the job change to investigator for Antonio?
It’s a promotion. He’s still a cop. He loves being a Chicago cop, and that’s something that he’s always wanted to be. So that’s going to factor in. But moving over to the State’s Attorney’s office and being a lead investigator, he has his own unit there. He still gets to bring down the bad guys and help his city, just on a wider range because he’ll now have state-wide jurisdiction, which he didn’t have before. It’s a different place. It’s something that he has to get used to. It’s a smaller cast. You have some great people there: Carl Weathers; Philip Winchester; Monica Barbaro; Joelle Carter, who’ll be playing Antonio’s partner. There are a lot of factors that will come into play as to why he does go over.

TVLINE | With the smaller cast, do you feel like the character has more space to breathe and grow on Justice?
There’s going to be more focus on the case, and how each one deals with that case. Antonio hasn’t had a partner since his partner was tragically killed in the first season. So now for him to have a partner, that’s a whole different dynamic. His being a single parent and dealing with that is going to be brought up, and that’s going to factor in a lot. It’s the right time for Antonio.

Chicago Fire Sylvie/AntonioTVLINE | What was your reaction when the producers told you they wanted to pair up Antonio with Sylvie?
[Laughs] I was like, “What?!” It was kind of like from left field. They’re not the two people you would think of right off the bat. But that’s what’s intriguing and interesting about it, because it’s not something predictable, and it’s not being played that way. It’s not like it’s an easy decision for the two of them. They play with that. It’s like in life: You have two people who never would have thought they’d find something in common with each other, and yet they find it and the stars align, and you give it a shot. Who knows? Maybe they’ll end up having 12 babies together. [Laughs] I have no idea. But it’s something that is definitely happening, and it’s going to be interesting to watch, especially having his sister see her brother in ways that she hasn’t seen him in a while.

TVLINE | It has been a while since Antonio last had a love interest. What does having that romance bring out in him?
Oh, watch out… you tap into that reservoir, forget about it! [Laughs] Antonio shut that part off for a while. He didn’t want his marriage to end. He really loves his family, and unfortunately, it just went the way it did. He’s focused on his job, his work and trying to be there as much as he can for his kids, and didn’t really think about having love in his life. It kind of hits him hard, like a left hook.

TVLINE | The Chicago shows are obviously very tightly intertwined, and you’re still working on P.D. But in the future, when you’re on Justice full-time, what are you going to miss about being on P.D.?
We were together for four years. You develop a chemistry, a bond. We developed friendships that are going to last beyond the show. That said, it’s not like Antonio’s leaving. He’s not leaving Chicago. He’s still going to be here and still will be going back. I’m sure there are going to be plenty of crossovers to and fro. We’ll all still be seeing each other. In one regard, it’s sad, but not really, because we’re still going to be together… It’s just adding more people to the family.

Chicago P.D. airs Wednesdays at 10/9c on NBC; Justice premieres midseason.

1. wrstlgirl says:

“exploring how Antonio’s budding courtship with paramedic Sylvie “affects his sister Gabby” on Fire” please don’t tell me they are gonna make Antonio and Sylvie all about Gabby, ugh. I like the fact that we’ll see him on all three shows. The more Antonio the better IMO.

• Chloe says:

Agreed. We see way too much of Gabby as it is. But Gabby will probably make it all about Gabby. *rolls eyes*

• wrstlgirl says:

It’s all Gabby, all the time. I probably wouldn’t hate the character so much if they’d stop pushing her in every single story line. The love affair they have for her makes me nauseous, LOL!!!

• teacher4life says:

I agree the more Antonio the better! Sorry to see all the Gabby hate. I like her character and think Monica R is a fine actress. Do agree that they should dial back some on her screen time and make it more of an ensemble effort. Never will understand why women hate on other women but always give the cute guys a pass no matter how much screen time or story lines they are involved in. Would rather celebrate that she is a strong, independent, compassionate woman . . .

2. ScottJ says:

“unprecedented”? Sounds very similar to the regular-across-multiple-show deals a number of actors have for the CW’s comic book shows.

• Will Sanborn says:

I see your point. But I like the word Seda used. Seamless. That’s a real strength with Dick Wolf. I don’t always find comic book shows handle characters popping up as effectively. Just my take.

• I think the “unprecedented” part is how he’s gone from (I’m guessing) a supporting role on FIRE to a lead role in launching one spin-off, and now another.

It would have been like if, back in the day, O’Brien from ST:TNG had moved over to DEEP SPACE NINE (which he did), but then the powers that be had developed another Star Trek spin-off, and he’d moved over to that show as well.

Or if instead of an ailing Jerry Orbach leaving LAW & ORDER for the short-lived LAW & ORDER: TRIAL BY JURY, it had been Richard Belzer going from HOMICIDE to L&O: SVU and then leaving it to join TRIAL BY JURY.

(Which might have kept that show going … the cast change-up after Orbach’s death caused a lot of people to leave, I think)

I can’t even think of another comparable situation … most of the other spin-offs that come to my mind are so much about one or two characters (FRASIER or THE JEFFERSONS, for example) that it would be hard to imagine a third series.

• Sarah says:

And the even weirder aspect–he has played another character on L&O and L&O:SUV–Det. Paul Falcone from Homicide LOTS. King of the crossovers!

3. makparis says:

I’m not sure what I think of this change. I started watching PD for the Voight/Antonio dynamic. Sadly that has not been nearly as present as it deserved to be. I wasn’t going to watch Justice, but now I have to give it a try.

• Lily says:

Same here – I miss that component of the show. It was interesting to me how they found ways to work together to solve the case but still there was the internal conflict bubbling underneath. Don’t care much for the direction the show is going now. If you are not gaga over Lindstead (would NEVER be tolerated as they are partners in the same unit) or a fan of Voight’s “I am God and can do whatever I want” complex, then the show does not offer much any more to viewers like me.
      I think I may give up on PD and give Justice my time.

4. Cas says:

I love him :( But I have no time to watch another show. I like the ideanof Slyvie and him but only because it is odd and not expected. But I still hate that they divorced him just to give him more storylines with females.

5. JCPrime1 says:

Sorry Seda. Three Chicago shows are already too much. I have no time for four.

6. Karen C says:

Antonio is always the voice of reason on the show. He will definitely be missed on PD!! Such a great character . . . But glad to be able to see him on Chicago Justice and excited for the upcoming story lines!

7. Morgan Lee says:

Love Jon Seda and will watch whatever program he is on!

8. Jamie says:

Dick Wolf is doing a fantastic job manipulating viewers into watching all of his shows lmao. I don’t think anybody was considering committing to Chicago Justice as well until this announcement.

• wrstlgirl says:

That’s a pretty bold statement. I’m sure a lot of people are looking forward to watching Chicago Justice, it has a terrific cast without the addition of Seda. He is just icing on the cake.

• Jamie says:

I said “as well”, implying that if they were already viewing the other three, adding a fourth would be a lot. If you are just gonna watch the show as a fan of the cast, not as a fan of the Chicago shows, then I wasn’t referring to you. But for people who watch these shows as pieces of a larger work that fit together, four interweaving narratives like this are just too much. Those are the people that the producers are drawing over by moving a beloved established character to this show, so that’s who I was referring to.

• wrstlgirl says:

Hmmm, I most definitely watch the current three and am really looking forward to number four. That was always the plan, adding Seda is just icing.

• Jamie says:

Alright, but I think you’re in the minority here. All I’ve heard from people I know who already watch the other shows and from people online is that this is too much, especially since Fire just premiered 4 years ago. Most people only have so much time in the week for TV, so four interweaving Chicago shows along with other shows they watch might start to feel like a chore to keep up with.

• Lindsay says:

I’m super excited for all four!

9. Dominique says:

… why do we need to see how antonio’s relationship with sylvie affects gabby? how does she get involved in this, other than her finding out about it and being happy cause he’s her brother? does it really need to be drama again with her? pfft.
    i’m still not sure about antonio moving to justice, i like him on PD.

10. Rachel says:

I’m looking forward to the Antonio Dawson character development. I know people are going to hate me but the Gabby part make me want to barf. I don’t like her. She is so selfish and Matt is too good for her….there I said it

11. John Moberly says:

Seda is a good guy and a good actor. I hope they’re not going to far with this chicago med/fire/PD and justice franchises. NBC is so hungry for legitimate hits they’ll allow Dick Wolf a lot of latitude.

• Why not? So far all of the Chicago franchise shows have been well done. I think Wolf has done a brilliant job in building a new franchise for NBC. The network does not have much else to cling to. I am excited to see what this brings us.

12. AJ says:

Jon Seda has been severely underused on Chicago PD. I think it’s definitely a good move for him as an actor.

13. Melanie says:

Why??? I do agree there hasnt been as much of Antonio focus since last season so its good that he will get more but I so didnt want to watch Justice. I got so mad at how they handled their case on PD. But now with Antonio moving there its a must watch. BTW Sylvie? God I really dont like her and the wishy washy ways she has with guys. I give their romance a few epis before she moves to another guy.

• Jen says:

I agree! Sylvie ditched her fiancée, was with Cruz and then has Otis pining for her and Jimmy seems to be attracted to her too. I feel bad for Otis. Sylvie and Severide could both stand a time out from the opposite sex occasionally.

I love Antonio and want more if him, but would rather see him with someone else. Really don’t want to see Gabby involved in it either. Her character is overused.

14. Nancy Behen says:

I LOVE all the Chicago shows; however, I feel we have enough . And we are getting another one?????????? There are other shows people like to watch also.

• John Moberly says:

There’s such a thing as oversaturation with four of Wolf’s shows all dealing with Chicago.Time will tell but I agree with some people on this thread that I’m really sick of Gabby. They’ve written her up to be a drama queen and its old real quick.

15. wrstlgirl says:

I don’t think I’ve ever used the word “hate”. I don’t like Gabby and the way they always have to prop the character into every story line on the show. I don’t see them doing that with Matt or Severide, the two main male characters, therefore, yes, they get a pass.

• teacher4life says:

I believe you did state that you hated the character. And, of course, you have every right to your opinion. Maybe this season they will listen to fans and make it more balanced. I still like to see women portrayed as strong, intelligent individuals and hope they continue with that.

• wrstlgirl says:

You are right, I went back thru my posts and I did say I hated Gabby, my bad, I love that you called me on it. But it’s not directed at women in general. I bet Sylvie could be strong, compassionate also if they’d just let her.

16. GoCubs2016 says:

Well, PD’s loss is Justice’s gain. To me, the character of Antonio Dawson is the most realistic as a Chi-town cop. He is a great cop who just does his job and does it well. I could actually see him on the streets as the genuine thing. Nothing against the other actors, but I have a harder time picturing them:
    Voight – so over the top with no consequences. Not a great message they’re promoting but I guess it makes his fans happy and not surprised since “over the top” seems to be in this year :-)
    Lindsey – Really? She was casted for her followers not because she is believable as a tough cop.
    Halstead – now delegated to Erin’s toy boy and another follower
    Atwood – like him but they need to give some depth to his part; also please slow down when you speak so I can understand
    Ruzek – so much potential at first when he was the cocky newcomer but then simply portrayed as a$$hole boyfriend (guess they wanted to devote all promotion to one couple)
    Platt – actually like her as she is the most believable of all the female officers; however, her sarcasm can be overdone.
    Anyway, I will miss Antonio on PD but sure Jon Seda will bring his A-game to Justice.

17. kay wilson says:

hate it don’t want Antonio to leave new show looks lame