Secrets And Lies Recap

Secrets and Lies Recap: Damage Control

You know you’re in for a memorable meeting at work when your boss begins by saying, “Some of you overheard that I killed someone…”

Eric attempted to assuage his co-worker’s fears on Sunday’s Secrets and Lies, taking full responsibility for “accidentally” killing one of his high school classmates before leading into this A+ argument: “But my wife’s a different story. Someone murdered her.” (Yeah, OK, whatever you say.) And another thing: For a guy who really wants us to think he didn’t push his wife off a roof, Eric sure does love challenging Detective Cornell to prove his guilt. I swear that’s how every single one of their interactions end.

And because it would be too much for this show to let Kate rest in peace, Sunday’s episode once again put Jordana Brewster’s character on blast: We learned that she gave up a baby boy (from an undisclosed father) for adoption when she was 16, that she’d been seeing her ex behind Eric’s back, and that she withdrew $100,000 from his checking account without… well, checking with him.

An attempted mugging put Neil on Cornell’s hit list — but only briefly, and still below Eric, naturally — prompting him to share his alibi from the night of Kate’s murder: He was off getting stoned, courtesy of a joint from Liam, one of the firm’s assistants. (Speaking of Liam, Eric visited him at the end of the hour, only to find… the man who attacked Neil!)

Then it was immediately back to Eric, who was apparently being blackmailed at the time of Kate’s fatal swan dive. Someone was threatening to expose his juvenile record, and it turns out Kate already did most of the leg work in finding out who it was. He nearly turned the letters over to Cornell — until he noticed that one of his ex-girlfriends, a particularly frightened-looking woman named Tina Sawyer, was being questioned, and she’ll say “exactly what [Cornell] wants to hear.”

I’m not really sure what that means, but just like Eric’s ability to appear innocent, it probably isn’t very good.

Stray Observations:

* I’m all for Cornell getting knocked down a peg, so I appreciated Amanda reminding her about Ben: “You already sent one innocent man to prison. Don’t be a repeat offender.”

* Speaking of Cornell, is she a spectre or something? It’s almost comical how she keeps showing up wherever Eric goes.

Your thoughts on this week’s episode? Any new additions to your list of suspects? Whatever’s on your mind, drop it in a comment below.

1. It’s probably way too early to do so but I’m calling it now anyway – about 80% sure the father is the murderer.

• MissEllys says:

He’s basically the least shadiest person right now. But the secretary is even less shady so my money’s on her. Although Patrick and Melanie are so airheaded there has to be something up with them

• Annie Sisk says:

My original theory – that Neil is actually the brother of the guy Eric “killed” in high school who wants revenge – is probably toast at this point, and yeah, “Dad did it” is my fallback.

2. I do not get the appeal of this show. Cornell may be the single most annoying adult* character on television. Every time she’s on the screen I just want to scream. Normally I love mystery shows like this one, but this is just painful to watch.
    *Excluding Maddie from Nashville, who may think she’s an adult, but well, how she conned a judge into agreeing I don’t know.

3. msstargate says:

Why have David James Elliott as a guest star and give him one line? I was hoping he was joining the cast.

4. C schaffer says:

I love this season! Great cast! I was curious though bc the sister mentioned that Ben died in prison. I didn’t remember that. Oh well. Looking forward to more twists and turns.

• Dysturbed says:

After season 1 ended, there was a special few minute segment that was immediately available to view online. Ben’s friend was out to eat with his daughter and they referenced it. Really, it should have just been part of the actual show.

5. N says:

Still loving the show! J Lewis is great

6. Heidi says:

Love the show. It’s amazing and so glad it’s back for season 2! Love the cast and the plot is leaving us all on the edge of our seats like season 1. I have a feeling there was something much bigger going on that Kate may have stumbled unto and that’s why she was killed. In season 1 it was never really clear til the end and I think it will be the same this season. Can’t wait for next week and hope the seasons keep coming. Was sad to hear that Ben was killed in prison in season 2 episode 2. Hopefully one day detective Cornell will get Abby to pay for what she did! Until then please keep the show coming! ♡

7. Sarah says:

Not that there aren’t other strange things on this show, but I found it especially bizarre that Neil needed a doctor and Eric could barely hold him up, then as soon as Cornell showed up he straightened up and was perfectly fine without as much as a limp or slur (even when Cornell wasn’t looking, and after she left). I would understand him trying to pull himself together and look fine for her, but his miraculous recovery was a bit of a head-scratcher.

8. Connie pinto says:

I just love this show this is my 1st season watching but wow the cast is stunning the story line just keeps you at that omg
    So happy I’m watching congratulations to the actors /actress & of course the creator

9. shadester says:

she did a pretty good impression of cornell too lol