Once Upon a Time Recap Season 6

Once Upon a Time Recap: Revenge Returns to ABC's Sunday Lineup

This week on ABC’s Once Upon a Time, a scheme that the Evil Queen set in motion a long, long time ago threatened to come to fruition — and take the Charmings’ lives with it!

As the townsfolk of Storybrooke try to help the refugees from the Land of Untold Stories, Regina addresses the eclectically costumed crew at Granny’s, saying they have nothing to be afraid of, that she is a good person now and she will help them all face it together. Afterward, Henry briefly meets a young man who leaves behind a wax-sealed envelope. Henry decided to wildly guess about the guy’s identity, until Charming simply opens the envelope to learn it was the Count of Monte Cristo. Regina promptly warns David and Snow that the Count aims to kill them — because she hired him to!

In flashback, we learn that just after the Count aka Edmond Dantès ran a sword through Baron Danglars, the man responsible for his wrongly imprisonment, the Evil Queen offered the lad a deal: a complete list of people involved in his bad run of fortune, for him to red Sharpie, in trade for him killing the Charmings for her. (As reminded during a Rumple visit, the Evil Queen is unable to harm the Charmings herself, and she’s not willing to wait for the Dark Curse to take effect and whisk them to Storybrooke.) Edmond, though, can’t go through with poisoning his employers, especially when their lovely handmaiden Charlotte, who reminds him of his dead fiancee, turns out to be at risk.

Rumple, however, can’t risk having Edmond out there and possibly able to kill the Charmings (since the Dark One needs them alive to procreate and such), so he gives Charlotte the poison anyway. Edmond is thus compelled to leave for the Land of Untold Stories, where Charlotte will stop short of dying from the poison, for now.

Back in Storybrooke, Emma aims to drive her parents out of town to keep save from their assailant, only to discover that a protection spell identical to the one Regina created back in the day again encases Storybrooke. Later, out in the woods with Henry, Regina finds Charlotte’s now-dead body and then comes face to face with her worse half, who cackles that she has been controlling the Count with his plucked heart.

The Charmings do battle out on the docks with Edmond, who explains that the Evil Queen is controlling him. After KOing the couple, Edmond goes in for the kill, only to get stopped by Regina. They thrust and parry a bit, as Regina labors to convince him to spare the Charmings. When she realizes he cannot be stopped, Regina heaves her sword through him, fatally. The Evil Queen then shows up to taunt her kinder counterpart, revealing that the plan was never for the Count to kill the Charmings, but for Regina to kill the Count — this spawning a tiny bit of darkness inside her, to grow anew. In the end, the Evil Queen teases, “We all have stories we dont want told,” and it is Regina who will destroy everyone’s happy endings.

What sort of stories might the heroes not want told? At episode’s end, David receives a “gift” from the Evil Queen, a coin his father was wearing around his wrist at the time he got into a drunken, fatal cart accident. “Are you suuuuuure it was an accident?” the sinister sorceress wonders aloud.

Elsewhere:

* Zelena unwittingly “proved herself” to the Evil Queen, by keeping mum about her arrival in Storybrooke.

* In a bid to atone for 1) trying to kill her, 2) laying a hand on her after that and C) once shooting her at the town line (!), Hook offers Belle harbor on the Jolly Roger, away from Rumple.

* It was Rumple who provided the coin to the Evil Queen, in trade for her keeping Belle and her unborn baby out of harm’s way.

* Emma continued to meet with Archie, in whom she confided her deadly vision. She decided she cannot yet tell anyone about what she saw, because she suspects that it could be Regina beneath the hood, as the one who ultimately kills her.

* Did I mention that Henry is an awful detective…?

What did you think of the episode “A Bitter Draught”?

1. Elle says:

Lana was amazing. The Evil Queen was deliciously evil! Her scene with Robert Carlyle was so creepy yet fantastic.

2. laurelnev says:

It’s getting a little better, but only because we’re back to character and had a week off from stunt cast member of the week.Not ready to give it up yet, but not ready to drop everything to watch it live while live tweeting like I used to either. Time shifted by a half hour tonight in fact.

• I gave it up a few episodes before mid-last season. I tried hard to keep going, but how they butchered King Arthur’s story just did it for me.

I LOVED Once Upon a Time when it started and it was a favorite. The first season was fantastic. But then they started with half-season arcs and it all went downhill :(

3. Steven says:

You made it sound like the show Revenge was coming back to TV.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The revenge-centered Count of Monte Cristo story featured in Once Upon a Time‘s flashbacks this week was the basis for the ABC series Revenge, starring Emily VanCamp.

4. Lindsey says:

What’s the deal with the sudden sexual tension with Rumpelstiltskin and The Evil Queen? It may have been there before, but it never reached this extent.

5. Steven says:

Charlotte looks like Tinkerbell

6. Kate says:

My first thought was, oh, so now that Revenge is gone we need to use the tale again. Then by the end I was like, english lit teachers across the world were cringing at what they did. The point is you should end the Count’s story recognizing he is not a good guy anymore and yes he was not guilty for what he was imprisoned for but he did worse things and ultimately for nothing because the fiancee was in on it and the true representation of the dig two graves when you set out on revenge. This might become an issue with the non Disney stories, heck, it happened with Frankenstein.

7. PatriciaLee says:

The husband asks, “Why was Robin Hood killed off, again?” I don’t know what to tell him, and bummed myself about that, but at least he’s happy everyone is back in Storybrooke.

8. Ram510 says:

Lana was on fire this episode!!! Truly amazing performance. Next week looks like fun with Cinderella story. This could be the start of one of their best seasons so far

9. ninergrl6 says:

This ep lacked the balance I enjoyed in the season premiere. I don’t need or want another Evil-Queen-wanting-to-kill-the-Charmings flashback EVER. Lana’s a great actress but I’ve been over the Evil Queen for a long time. She’s so one-note and uninteresting, just chewing scenery and vamping around in sequined gowns. If she’s the central focus of this season, it’ll be a snooze-fest for me.

• Starbuck84 says:

Funny how these things go sometimes because when I came here I was gonna say that I thought it was much better balanced than the premiere. But to me some of that is also rooted in nostalgia for the show Once Upon A Time used to be. It felt more like season 1 – season 2 OUAT and to me personally that was their best time. I’m not a huge fan of the later seasons, especially seasons 4 and 5. And I missed their focus on their original main characters.

• LeGal says:

Yes to all – thanks!

• ninergrl6 says:

That explains it all. I was relatively bored by seasons 1 and 2 — I’d record a month’s worth of eps before I made myself watch them — and kept tuning in more as a Disney fan than an OUAT fan. Since season 3, however, I’ve watched the show live every Sunday and enjoyed seasons 3-5A much more than 1-2. To each his own.

10. Barb says:

I was really disenchanted with this episode. Last week they told us Emma was slated to die, this week we hardly saw her. And while I found how the Count ended up in the ‘Land of Untold Stories’ interesting more Regina revenge backstory had me rolling my eyes. I also don’t understand why Belle didn’t just go back to the Library? Doesn’t it have a little apartment where she stayed when they were broke up? I mean she’s not ‘trying’ to hide from Gold if she’s going to Granny’s for a place first? I feel like sometimes this show ‘forgets’ it’s own story lines and back info to make things work. Also is Hook living with Emma or on the ship? Wasn’t the house picked out by him, for them? And who was watching Zelena’s baby while she was in the Cemetery with the EQ? And Emma was trying to help protect her parents and the conveniently was not around after they couldn’t get through the town line…?

• LeGal says:

To be fair, Emma’s premonitions for her own death are the end game. I imagaine they’re going to have a portion of whatever the hell that is in every episode. Also, it was well laid out in advance that at least this first half of S6 was going to be Regina/EQ-centric.

Not sure about the little apartment over the library, but I got zero sense that Belle was trying to hide from Rumple. Yeah no, she’s flying that flag – she left him & this time she’s not going back. A little room above a library would indicate they’re having a spat & she needs a place to cool her heels. She’s looking for a place to stay until she can get an apartment by herself.

I think Killian is (shudder) staying with Emma in that house. I wish that it weren’t true, but I think it is. (Still uncertain how either of them can start a romantic life together in a house that holds literally only bad memories for both of them. So strange.)

Aside from finding a way to show us the spell around Storybrooke, it was completely, utterly and insanely illogical for Emma to be driving her parents over the cityline to keep them safe. They might not have magic, but they’re certainly not helpless! Moreover, if they decided to leave themselves for safety’s sake, Emma would’ve thought less of them.

And cheers for noting that the show doen’t track their own storylines & histories! No need for quotations. I think they should have someone on the payroll to serve as show historian. Not only do they forget their own stories but also the characters & universe that they’ve created. Very frustrating.

• Nicky Aiuto says:

Reality check. Colin informed in a recent interview that just because he picked the house for Emma doesn’t mean it is his or that he lives there to. So he doesn’t live there.

I for one enjoyed seeing more focus on the Charmings and Regina.

And for the record, we seem to be informed that the Regina/Evil Queen centric was going to be for the whole episode, not the first ten. The Emma dying vision centric seems to be the one for the first 10. Because Adam informed that we will see who the hooded figure is before winter break. And since we were predicted that a regular will leave the show before winter break and feb sweeps, the death vision and what we are about to see seems to relate to the prediction. But we know for a fact that Emma will not be the one who dies off.

And since this season seems more like season 1 – season 2, there are clues that seems so:

1. A Cinderella centric will appear in ep 3 like like from ep 3 of S1.

2. The Evil Queen will bring chaos and try to destroy happiness of others, including trying to kill Snow.

3. There is an operation cobra act.

4. Jiminy Cricket/Archie is back as a Psychiatrist earning alot more focus, but this time for Emma like he was for Henry in first season.

5. This is the year of Snowing, just like for season 1 to 2.

6. A friend (Aladdin) will help Emma, like Pinocchio/August did for her first season.

7. We may probably lose a regular like from season 1, since we were somehow spoiled about the prediction.

8. Charming will try to search for answers about his father, just like how Graham starts trying to find out who he really was after he kissed Emma and later on being the first freed from the curse after kissing her more.

9. We got to see the venom of the Agrabahn Viper in action again just like in season 1 where Snow’s father got murdered.

10. Like when Rumple/Gold owned the town in season 1 before the curse broke, Hyde claimed it and is like the new Mr. Gold in town.

11. Joe-77 says:

I thought it was stupid to kill off the Count of Monte Cristo after just one episode. He’s a major literary character. There was so much more they could have used him in. Other than that, it was a good episode.
    I’m seriously hoping they don’t do the same thing to Captain Nemo in episode 6: Dark Waters!

• Can he really be dead of the Evil Queen took out his heart? You can’t be stabbed through the heart if you don’t have one… just a thought.

• LeGal says:

Agreed, but so many characters came back from the Land of Ubtold/Unfinished stories. It’s the UW all over again – one episode devoted to each character they’re trying to help out. If they only had the EQ’s storyline alongside this they would have more time, but it seems they’re going to devote a decent chunk of time to Emma’s therapy, premotions, etc.

• ninergrl6 says:

That was one of my main gripes about 5B, too many one-off characters/eps without depth. Milah in particular should’ve stuck around longer given her connection to so many Storybrooke residents.

12. So far it hasn’t really been enjoyable to watch this season. It pales in comparison to the show it used to be. I’m so disappointed.

13. Jennifer says:

I thought this episode was fantastic. Lana and Robert have amazing chemistry and Lana playing opposite herself is just mesmerizing. The tease of conflict within team heroes has me eagerly anticipating the rest of the season. Deep wounds and old grudges may linger and could be a bigger and more compelling threat than any villain of the moment.

14. Penny says:

I love Lana, don’t get me wrong, but I think I’m just over the EQ story. Flashbacks in episodes from when she was the EQ is one thing but to completely bring here back tells me the writers are stumped for story. Also Belle living on Hook’s ship makes zero sense. Literally nobody makes an income in Storybrooke and everyone seems to live just fine. I’m sure she could find an apartment on her own and actually have a storyline that doesn’t involve Hook.

15. Candace says:

Zelena keeping her promise to the evil Queen and Regina always blaming zelena for everything

16. kris says:

Lana was great, 1st episode I have enjoyed in a long time. After the premier last week I was worried that since it was so bad that the eps following might be just as bad. Nope, last nights was extremely enjoyable. Now if we can just keep Hook off with Belle, and have some interaction with Regina/EQ and Emma all would be good. I really could care less about all of these untold story characters in Storybrook, I hope they concentrate primarily on the original characters. Last season was so awful and brought the ratings down so badly, I just hope they are able to correct themselves and stay afloat.

17. Kelly says:

I miss what this show was in season one and two. Too many new characters, too little for the season one and two characters. Not enough Belle. ONCe is getting as convulted as Lost did.

18. dilizzzy says:

I hope the Count story continues. He was killed in Storybrooke but perhaps his life in Untold Stories can continue? Craig Horner is a great talent! I’d like to see more of him as the Count.

19. GJ says:

Matt — don’t know if you had followed/reviewed Once Upon a Time in Wonderland because I got uninterested after a few episodes. But!!! Wasn’t the Red Queen/Anastasia originally set up as one of Cinderella’s stepsister? How will this be addressed with Sunday’s (Oct 9) episode?