Designated Survivor, Speechless Snag Full-Season Pickups at ABC

ABC is giving two of its rookie series a big vote of confidence: The Alphabet network has picked up the Kiefer Sutherland thriller Designated Survivor and the Minnie Driver comedy Speechless for full, 22-episode seasons.

The news comes after both series held up relatively well in their second airings Wednesday night, with Designated Survivor slipping 18 percent and Speechless dipping 10 percent from their strong debuts. The jury is still out on ABC’s other rookie entry, Thursday-night drama Notorious, which limped out of the gate last week.

On Tuesday, NBC’s This Is Us became the first freshman series of the 2016-17 TV season to snag a full-season order.

1. Neemo says:

Yasssss for both! :)

2. Cactus Rose says:

YAY! Great to have Keifer back on TV! DVR’d Speechless so no comment yet. This is Us was fabulous. They deserve a full ride. I also like Bull and Notorious. Hope they stick around for a while.

3. Brian says:

Happy for Speechless.

4. Leanne says:

good for DS. Like Minnie Driver but not sure about this show. Love Notorious. Like this is US too. Last series Minnie was in was better I think. I liked it.

• PatriciaLee says:

Hmmm…I’ll give Nortorious a look then, in case it gets the cut. I’ve enjoyed so many shows that only did the short run, it’s worth it, folks.

5. Marco Piazzo says:

Great! Now for Lethal Weapon and The Exorcist…

6. Ally Oop says:

So far, Designated Survivor and This is Us are the only two new series to make it onto my permanent watch list. The jury is still out for me on Pitch.

7. Anne Normandin says:

Designated Survivor is a winner – Keifer Sutherland is perfect.

8. Anne says:

Oh wonderful! I’m very much enjoying both. Speechless has been particularly surprising – clearly the show is being written by people who have lived the show’s experience.

9. kmw says:

Good for both shows I am looking forward to what Designated Survivor does next

10. Kevin K says:

Very happy for both Designated Survivor and Speechless.

• PatriciaLee says:

I’ve only seen the first 15 minutes of Designated Survivor, so far, but it was so fantastic in capturing my attention with dropped mouth, I decided to wait until I have the time to enjoy it in full. (And I was not even a 24 fan.)

11. RichieS says:

Definitely had flashbacks last night when Kiefer’s character received bad news and immediately reacted with his trademark “Dammit !”

12. Al says:

I thought that Designated Survivor was only supposed to have 13 episodes?? Oooh I hope a full 22 season doesn’t dilute the quality of the show because now there’ll be inevitably filler episodes……

13. J.Norman says:

Speechless seems to be a combination Malcolm in the Middle with a touch of the Middle’s family unity / loyalty thrown in.

Without trying to seem insensitive, and I’m sure some will scream, but I have some doubts about whether – or how long – the disabled kid needs can be played out. At least as far as being the centerpiece of the show. It could get old after several weeks.

14. altos says:

I don’t see how Designated can make it. The concept is better suited to a 2-3 hour program. As it is, the audience wants to know “who did it” and “what did we do about it”. How you stretch that out episode after episode after episode without losing audience interest is tenuous at best.

15. ReneCat says:

Yay for Designated Survivor! It deserves a full season pickup. Now if only FOX does the same for Lethal Weapon and The Exorcist.

16. Bella says:

love designated survivor, speechless and american housewife, please keep them on! although i can’t find designated survivor anymore after the first 3 or 4 episodes? adore katy mixon in american housewife and minnie driver is another favorite in speechless. i even like keifer sutherland very much, hadn’t watched him before. his character drew me right in.

17. Catheine WILKERSON says:

Just wondering where has Designated Survivor gone?

18. Abeer Kayali says:

Designated survivor is one the best tv shows I’ve ever seen! Keifer is awesome as usual .. very believable ! I was at the edge of my seat the whole time .. please keep up the amazing work