Imaginary Mary ABC Jenna Elfman

ABC Trims Episode Order for New Midseason Comedy Imaginary Mary

You’ll be seeing less of Jenna Elfman and her imaginary friend: ABC has cut the episode order for its new midseason comedy Imaginary Mary from 13 episodes to 9.

This news, confirmed by our sister site Variety, is a bad omen for Mary, which stars Dharma & Greg veteran Elfman as a single career woman whose furry imaginary friend from childhood (a CGI creature voiced by Rachel Dratch) pops back into her life. In fact, without a premiere date scheduled, it’s not even certain Imaginary Mary will ever air; it’s one of two ABC midseason comedies, along with Downward Dog.

Mary is the brainchild of The Goldbergs executive producers Adam F. Goldberg and David Guarascio, so it has a decent pedigree. But when the show’s official trailer came out back in May — and featured “Mary” the creature doing the Macarena — the online response was, shall we say, not kind.

Plus, ABC’s new comedy Speechless debuted well last week, so there may not be many timeslots for Mary to fill in the spring. Whatever happens, Imaginary Mary now has the dubious distinction of being the first new TV show of the 2016-17 season to have its episode order reduced… before it’s even aired.

Does Imaginary Mary look like a fun romp to you? Or are you as terrified of it as we are? Hit the comments and share your thoughts.

1. Data1001 says:

No surprise here. As much as I like Jenna Elfman, this looked absolutely awful.

2. Btm says:

It looks like a, um, reimagining of Drop Dead Fred, easily one of the most awful movies of the 1990s. I wouldn’t be in the show’s target audience.

3. Anne says:

Oddly, the show has promise without that imaginary friend stuff. I was intrigued by the set up (woman marrying into a family and not sure if she even wanted to be a mom) and I quite like Jenna Elfman, but the whole imaginary friend thing seems stupid.

4. Jeff says:

I thought this had promise, though I can see the idea getting old. I really like Jenna Elfman though, hope she finds a spot on TV soon so I can watch :). Would also love to see Lauren Graham and Jenna Elfman do a movie together.

5. Spence says:

I’ve never heard of this show until now and i really want to watch it!

6. Tracey says:

I thought it sounded so dumb, but the promo actually looked good. I must say I will check it out. I hope they didn’t only show the good scenes in the promo.

7. Writerpatrick says:

If they’re going to reduce the order they might as well not even air it. People aren’t going to want to invest themselves in something they know will be cancelled.

8. Imzadi says:

Ok, so DOA.

9. Eli says:

I’m too afraid to ask why people hate this? The trailer is heart-warming and I love that creature. I also laughed, this thing looks funny!

10. Brigid says:

That’s a sin, the show looks really cute. I’d watch it over another laugh track infused CBS Crapedy, I mean “comedy” and cop or medical show.

11. Kay says:

I actually think this looks really cute. I love Jenna Elfman, and while the concept is a little strange, the trailer seemed promising. Cutting the episodes and a lack of a premier date, though….

12. Jared says:

This show looks awful I couldn’t even make it through the entire trailer. ABC should just quit while their ahead and cancel it altogether.

13. Phil says:

That’s too bad, I always appreciate shows that take risks.
    But the character design of the imaginary friend I find REALLY unappealing. As a backpack, okay. As the lead character in a sitcom, not really a face I wanna spend time with every week.
    Also, Jenna Elfman is too safe a casting choice.

14. Chris Gordon says:

It’s difficult to tell from the trailer how bad this is. The writer(s) obviously looked to Elfman’s previous incarnation as Dharma Finkelstein-Montgomery for inspiration and she reciprocated by bringing some of her Dharma ‘persona’ into portraying Alice. I don’t think it has the charm or the integrity of Dharma and Greg, or D + G’s ‘innocence’. D + G is a moderately hard act to follow and it just occurred to me that this vehicle lacks the honesty that was part of Dharma’s charm. This is all off the top of my head and, as I said, all I have seen is the trailer. The physical appearance of the imaginary character is hideous! That doesn’t help much.

15. dman6015 says:

Why does Elfman keep attaching herself to lost causes? Courting Alex, Accidentally on Purpose, Matumbo Goldberg, 1600 Penn, and Growing up Fisher. All one-season (or less) wonders. That’s a pretty long losing streak.

16. Lou says:

Who’s the idiot at ABC that greenlight this and Downward Dog. Seriously….

17. person says:

Looks awful.

18. Mary Stow says:

I sure hope this sitcom is given a chance. Jenna is an incredibly talented actress! My husband and I have enjoyed everything she has ever been on! We can’t wait for imaginary mary to air! Please don’t cancel it!!! Sincerely, Mary

19. Vera E Marrs says:

I think that this will be a refreshing change. From all of the serious shows on today. Please don’the take away another reason to make us smile.

20. I’ve seen the tv ads and it creeps me out every single time. Can’t wait for it to be cancelled and everyone connected with it jobless, their homes burned to ground and the earth salted so nothing will grow there ever again to sounds of women lamantating, etc…

21. Anne Holford says:

oh my god – it looks horrendous. so stupid. who watches this stuff? oh yeah, i guess i know who….

22. Samie thurnau says:

I will not watch because she’s in Scientology and my money will not go to that occult

23. Samie thurnau says:

I will not watch because she is a Scientology and I will not put my money where it will go to that a cult

24. Elizabeth says:

It was totally awful
    I would rather have watched Rachel Dratch and ditched Jenna Elfman totally
    Please get this disaster off the air now and forever !!!!!!

25. Loved Jenna Elfman but “Mary” was extremely annoying. The CGI was too large, overdrawn, intrusive, and too loud. I think there had to have been a way it could have been done in a more believable and subtle way. I don’t think the show will survive. A shame because it was great to see Jenna back on TV!

26. maureen lorenzo says:

No one seems to be addressing what is really wrong with this sitcom , (My opinion – we could do without the halfies , the smartass kids and drug references ! It’s supposed to be a romantic comedy I guess but we failed to see the humor in it !!! Maybe that is what’s happening out there but I don’t want to watch it on tv ,

27. Wow404 says:

Now we finally know what Scientology’s Xenu looks like?

28. Jason says:

At least it’s better than another reality show.

29. Cathy DuBose says:

Never fails when they have a good show and my family lives it, they cancel it. I getting ready to stop watching this network!

30. Kimberly Ford says:

how can they cancel imaginary Mary that was a great family show and me and my children enjoyed watching it and look forward to it every week they gotta bring it back

• Amber Alyse says:

Thank you Kimberly. I totally agree. Its one of a kind, and I think Mary is the most adorable thing ever. I find nothing offensive about the show and its not harming anyone so it would be nice if for once, a cute and sweet show would stay on the air. I’m sure the majority of the disdain for​this show comes from men but…it will be a real shame if this gets cancelled. Best case scenario if it does would be it netflix or Hulu picks it up. This is my new go-to whenever I’m depressed or panicked and just need some comfort!