Chicago PD Spoilers

Chicago P.D. Star Jon Seda Shifts to Chicago Justice as Series Regular

Chicago P.D.‘s Intelligence unit is losing one of its members to spinoff Chicago Justice.

Jon Seda, who plays detective Antonio Dawson, will transition to the upcoming legal offshoot as a series regular, our sister site Deadline reports.

Seda’s Antonio will join the D.A.’s office as an investigator, partnered with Joelle Carter’s Lori Nagle, who was introduced in the backdoor pilot. As a result, Ryan-James Hatanaka’s investigator Daren Okada will no longer be part of the series moving forward.

The timing of Seda’s move to Justice, which debuts midseason on NBC, is to be determined. Until then, the actor will continue to star on P.D., where Antonio is set to enjoy a cross-show romance with Chicago Fire paramedic Sylvie Brett.

The Justice cast also includes Philip Winchester (Strike Back), Carl Weathers (Colony), Joelle Carter (Justified) and Monica Barbaro (UnREAL), while Law & Order vet Michael S. Chernuchin will serve as showrunner. (Nazneen Contractor, who played an ASA in the backdoor pilot, is not continuing with the series.)

Chicago fans, what do you think of Antonio’s move? Do you think he’ll be better served on Justice?

1. Kim says:

I certainly didn’t see that coming. I was planning on watching Chicago Justice anyway.

2. Staci says:

I don’t like this. I really like Antonio, but have no plans to watch Justice

3. JCPrime1 says:

Horrible news. I loved Antonio on PD. More manipulation by NBC and Wolf productions to try and get people to watch every Chicago show.

• Dysturbed says:

In fairness, it’s a pretty smart move on their part to try to entice people to watch as many shows as possible.

• PatriciaLee says:

Actually, it might be a brilliant plotting device because the husband was just saying he didn’t like Antonio doing investigative work against Voight, and for that reason he would not check into Justice. This might be a tightly written powerhouse, coming up. I’m on board, especially with Paul Winchester and Carl Weathers. Player, Robinson Caruso and Rocky alumnae, what’s not there to sigh over,

• CK says:

The only Chicago show I watch is Chicago PD. Never even heard of Chicago Justice.

• Tracia Liang says:

The episode titled “Justice” from the end of the previous season of Chicago PD was the backdoor pilot for Chicago Justice. The one where Burgess is put on trial for shooting a seemingly unarmed teenager.

4. Lola says:

As long as justice doesn’t get cancelled I’ll be fine with this. I love Jon/Antonio and will take anything I can get from them!

5. Interesting can’t wait to see him in the new role

6. Sarah says:

Hate it. Antonio is a favorite to me and I had zero plans on seeing justice. I thought med was already overkill and adding justice just seemed silly. I thought he was a good balance/ foil for Voight with more experience than the other members of the unit (besides Olinsky). Really wish they would reconsider.

• Sarah says:

I should also add that PD crosses over more naturally with Fire than I imagine Justice would and I would miss seeing Antonio on Fire. It stinks because I don’t see how Justice brings anything new to the table at all. It will lack the creativity of a new and innovative idea plus the action of shows like fire and PD. Makes no sense

• Jess says:

Ok but look how well law and order does with both the police and court side of the cases. SVU is into season 18 because that format works. If the Chicago pd and justice cross over it will be like law and order in Chicago with our favourite cops.

• CC says:

Exactly! I’m more interested in Justice as a result of this news. Could be interesting, could work really well.

• Tracia Liang says:

Yeah, but here’s the thing: The big three Law and Orders combined the police and court side into one series. The few times Law and Order tried to branch off into a show that focused only on the court side, it didn’t last long- Trial By Jury and Conviction (not the new one, the one from 2006 with Alex Cabot).

• JCPrime1 says:

Fire and PD are the only ones worth watching. MED is so mediocre and I won’t waste my time on Justice.

7. Jen says:

I love law shows and I love Antonio. Honestly we haven’t even seen the show yet and people are already writing it off. I’m going to definitely give this a chance to play out. I love all the others in the series so why not!

8. Lily says:

NO no no!!!!! I love Jon as Antonio on PD! He is such a great character and brings balance to the show with his portrayal of a Chicago cop. Is this because almost all of the focus now has to be on making the Linstead fans happy? Boo!!!!

• Freetofly88 says:

It’s always been boring linstead on the focus for PD and boring dawsey on the focus for Fire… that’s why I stopped watching CF after season 3 ep 2 and PD after episode 12 of season 1… romance have ruined to great shows IMO… have a nice day you all!

• Lily says:

PD started out with so much promise as a gritty police drama and now is becoming a farce. Two people working as partners in the same unit having an open relationship? Really?? Would never be tolerated . . ., And sorry Voight fans, but the head of this unit has become a Rambo caricature. I know, I know . . . it is only tv but I think there could at least be an attempt to make it more realistic and still provide good drama all could enjoy.

9. JJ says:

Well hopefully with him joining a smaller cast will mean that he gets some storylines. I was never really a fan of his character but for those that are, I guess you’ll see his character develop a little more and flesh out.

10. Disneybelle says:

I’m so excited to see Jon move. While I enjoy him on P.D. it’s a bit crowded over there and I’ve always thought he was not being utilized. I was looking forward to Justice as I love Philip Winchester and this makes it even better.

11. V.J. says:

That´s a bummer, because I like Antonio on CPD. I didn´t plan on watching Justice because I think the premise is not that interesting and the backdoor pilot was boring. And I am not convinced I will like it any more just because they add a character I like on another show.
    In general I don´t like it if shows shake thinks up to much. I think CPD is just fine right now with the characters they have and I am a little bit concerned about the direction it will take over the next few episodes. Especially if they write out the other character I like in episode 4. -.-
    @TVline: Your mobile version crashes every time some video add is loading (at least with my phone).

12. Chiraq says:

Booooooo!!!

13. BM says:

I think it makes sense. Antonio really took a backseat compared to the other characters, so moving him sounds like a smart decision. I wonder if they’re going to fill his position because I don’t think they need to. If they needed to replace Antonio then he would have had a bigger role last season to begin with, in my opinion.

• Sarah says:

Personally I think the smarter thing would have been to just give him a bigger role on PD to begin with. After all he was one of the original cast members – the show was build around him and Voight from the start. The other characters are fine but it just seems like everything lately revolves around Linday, Voight and Lindsay/Halstead. It just seems a little disrespectful to ship off Jon Seda to a new show that may or may not stay afloat.

14. MJ says:

I was hoping they would get rid of Voight and put Antonio in charge.

15. Daniel says:

Hm…. Okay he is getting around

16. Can’t blame him, since Sophia Bush has sucked up all the screen time on CPD. I was looking forward to Justice for Philip Winchester. With Jon Seda, it’ll be even better.

17. Sarah says:

I don’t like this news. It saddens me :(

18. Tomeka says:

I love Jon Seda on Chicago PD but I loved him in Chicago Fire as well. I guess time will tell, he is a great actor and I ray the show does well for him. He will be truly missed on PD, I am sad knowing that he is leaving I just tweeted where is Antonio?

19. S F Nevitt says:

I really like him in Chicago PD, I’m sorry to see him move. I was hoping to get to see more of the rest of the cast beyond Sophia and Voight. I like them but it’s the rest of the cast that I really like. I am not excited about Chicago Justice.

• Chloe says:

Same here. I probably will watch Justice, mainly because I’m sure characters from the other shows will be crossing over but I’m not that excited about the show. I wish he’d stay on CPD & they’d give him more air time.

20. Alysha says:

I’m curious to see who is going to take his spot…Burgess? Or I wonder if they are going to use this as a way to make Mouse officially part of the team so he doesn’t leave for the Rangers again. Going to miss Antonio!

• Lily S says:

Mouse is not qualified as a cop. As he said in the last episode, he didn’t want to go the academy at his age and then begin as a beat cop.

21. MzTeaze says:

Antonio hasn’t had much of a storyline on Chicago PD anyway, so why not. Lately he’s been window dressing.

• Lily S says:

Jon Seda is too good of an actor to not be better utilized. I think he makes an outstanding cop and could contribute so much more to PD but if this is how they want to use him . . . ?? Maybe he should go back to doing movies.

• Iris says:

ITA, when I was still watching CPD it truly annoyed me that they didn’t give him storylines.

22. Trevor Ennis says:

Why do people think Jon’s character, Antonio, is going away? The role he started on Fire transitioned to PD, quite well I might add. This is simply a second transition over to Justice.

And it wont be the last we see of him crossing over. His sister is still on Fire, and apparently his new love interest is on Fire too.

I am sure there will still be glimpses of him on PD with a possible continuing investigation (yet again) into Voight’s part in the disappearance of his son’s killer.

See you on Justice Jon.

• Tracia Liang says:

Exactly! People are reacting like he’s leaving the franchise altogether. I may not be that interested in Justice, but I’m happy that he’ll still be around, and he’ll certainly still pop up in PD and Fire.

23. sarah j says:

Antonio hasn’t gotten lots of screen time lately so I am sure Jon asked for the move in order to get more screen time! I watch all the Chicago’s and was going to watch Justice no matter who was on it.

24. Cas says:

Noooo! I don’t have enough time for another show!

25. Dean says:

Absolutely disappointing. Going to miss him on PD. But I wish him all the very best. Dont be scarce, Antonio!!

26. andrew hass says:

However it wouldn’t surprise me if he still shows up in Chicago P.D. from time to time when cases overlap.Plus the character now working for the D.A.’s office could cause conflict with his former teammates.

27. Jenny Wine says:

Antonio has nowhere to go- he can’t get promoted to voight’s position and if he were in charge of a different department it wouldn’t work- ala lindsey’s “new job”. I think technically he could head up his own task force- police ranking wise. It makes sense that he would go to justice.

28. Rachel says:

I am pretty sure they paid him some extra money and told him he could go back to p.d. when it is canceled to appear on that show. I remember fast forwarding through the back door pilot. Now I have to watch! Smart move, Mr. Wolf

29. amurp says:

This is a good move for Antonio since he basically gets forgotten about on PD. Maybe this way he will get some good storylines.

30. Jake says:

Time will tell…I hope they leave an opening on Chicago P D

31. Shirley Owen says:

Wish he could do both shows.

32. Iris says:

I’m happy for the move since I love Jon Seda as a actor as well as the character of Antonio but I had to stop watching CPD (Can’t. Stand. Halstead). A fourth franchise is overkill at this point but what the hell, I’m in for this one now.

33. valerie tower says:

Totally excited about CJ and this makes it even better. Love all the Chicago shows

34. Wendy says:

Absolutely not!!! I did not see this coming but if it is going to further his career than I wish him the best.

I have been watching all the shows Chicago PD, Chicago Med, Chicago Fire from the beginning and I never never miss one episode.

I don’t like when the characters leave😞

35. Antonio and Brett? What da hell??? After all this time I’ve still not warmed up to her.

36. Tracia Liang says:

Up until finding out about this, I didn’t have any plane to watch Chicago Justice regularly. Sure every now and then for continuity, but….
    Now with Jon Seda moving, I may have to watch it on the regular for my Antonio fix.

I mean, it’s not like he’s leaving One Chicago altogether, but still, Justice is the show I’m least interested in.

37. Jessica says:

So just saw Antonio moving to justice? Gonna suck he is not with Voight and the rest but, we aren’t losing him, we are just getting a new piece of the pie with Justice. I watch the 3 Chicago shows and have justice set in my dvr, and I have bought all of the shows up to this season on DVDs, I say keep them coming!!!

38. Ruby says:

Seda is the reason I watch PD. When he leaves, so do I :-(

39. Tiana says:

Antonio is such a strong character and seemingly always at odds with Voight. Also, he’s been through so much in the intelligence unit. I think it makes sense for him to want/need a change of pace. This is a good move. I just wish the show would start already. ☺️

40. Jann says:

I will miss him on Chicago PD which is one of my favorite TV shows. Couldn’t they have taken a less popular star for Chicago Justice?

41. EMILY BETCHER says:

Really sad about it

42. Kinchert says:

i had no plans to watch justice but will watch and see how it goes . The other 2 spinoffs to chicago fire have been excellent

43. Katie says:

Wherever John Seda goes that’s where I will watch. I will still watch Chicago PD it’s a great show but I will also watch the new show that John Seda is in. I have waited so long for him to come back on TV .

44. Bonnie Bertrand says:

I really hate Antonio leaving! He was my favorite character on the show.I have watched all 3 Chicago series from the very beginning… He will be missed gr8ly!!!!! I WILL watch Chicago Justice though…