Agnes Nixon Dead

Agnes Nixon, Creator of All My Children and One Life to Live, Dead at 93

Agnes Nixon, creator of long-running soap operas All My Children and One Life to Live, died Wednesday morning. She was 93.

Nixon’s daytime-television writing/producing credits include stints at As the World TurnsSearch for TomorrowAnother World and Guiding Light. The first soap she created, ABC’s One Life to Live, premiered in 1968. Two years later, her All My Children also bowed on ABC. Both AMC and OLTL would run until 2011 on ABC (and then for a brief time after online).

Nixon also co-created Loving and was involved in that series’ spinoff, The City. She was a multiple Daytime Emmy winner and took home the Lifetime Achievement Award in 2010.

Nixon’s son, Bob Nixon, told the Associated Press that his mother had just finished her memoir, My Life to Live, and had checked into a Philadelphia physical rehabilitation facility in order to gain strength for an upcoming book tour.

As news of Nixon’s death spread Wednesday, those who worked with her her shared their memories.

Susan Lucci played AMC‘s Erica Kane for the soap’s entire ABC run. On Wednesday, via her Instagram account, she said she was “forever grateful” to Nixon.

Cameron Mathison, who played AMC‘s Ryan for the better part of 13 years, tells TVLine, “Most of my memories of her are from when I had the opportunity to travel with her for different events and appearances. I just remember how incredibly sharp and witty she was for being in her 80s. She constantly cracked me up and yet at the same time so elegant and sweet. She will be missed.”

Alicia Minshew portrayed AMC‘s Kendall Hart Slater from 2002 to 2011. “I would like to say that she was always such a beautiful class act when I saw her, with a great sense of humor!” the actress tells TVLine. “I think she put all of that into her stories. I was honored to be able to tell her stories for 10 years and am grateful for the time I got to spend with her.”

1. Ralph says:

Thank you so much for the memories Ms Nixon. I watched OLTL all the way through. Condolences to her family and friends. What a shame that her legacy shows could not have outlived her. ABC should be ashamed.

• Goldsanti says:

I’m not a soap opera viewer, but I agree with you.

How could ABC cancel virtually all its soaps in favor of their ridiculous talk shows?

• Jennifer Crane says:

I totally agree 200 percent. They should have never taken those soaps off the air. What a bunch of buffoons. Seriously. I will be forever grateful for OLTL, it saved my life. My friends at work got me watching it on my lunch hour one day when I was in a daze from losing my beloved mom few weeks before. I never stopped. It brought me a lot of joy. I appreciated it. I liked AMC too, but OLTL was my fave.

2. kmayne says:

In the daytime world she is a legend creating many soap icons. She will always be remembered as a woman who was created such great daytime. RIP Agnes

3. andrew hass says:

My deepest condolences to her family and Agnes Nixon will be remembered forever,

4. dan says:

RIP Agnes! AMC was the one show that I watched from high school, through college, graduate school and on to professional life (thanks to the VCR). Even my own kids started watching the show when appropriate (they grew up hearing my wife and me figure out what time we’d watch that day’s episode once they went to bed). Thanks for creating the town of Pine Valley and all its characters (Erica, Palmer, Opal, Adam, Phoebe, Ruth and Joe just to name a few).

5. Rand Bookman says:

During the era when the U.S. was being rocked by news of Vietnam and Watergate, Agnes Nixon’s superbly written storylines for OLTL and AMC helped to get us through. Rest in Eternal Peace, Miss Nixon. You will always be loved and remembered.

6. J.B. says:

This is a very sad day. The end of an era has truly been cemented. I will cherish the memories and be ever greatful that you were here to create them.

7. Kim Barron says:

Rest In Peace, Agnes.

8. cheryl says:

rest in peace sweet lady u had onle life to live and u lived it to the fullest and u have all ur children who will miss u dearly

9. Eran says:

The woman poured heart, substance and depth into an otherwise sneered-upon genre and I would go as far to say, inspired generations of actors and writers to cut their teeth and/or grow into veritable powerhouses in daytime drama. May she rest in peace and her legacy, live on.

10. Angela says:

So sad to hear this news. My mom and I watched “All My Children” together constantly.

11. kmw says:

May she rest in peace. She gave daytime some of the best shows around

12. Mary Mason says:

Agnes Nixon was absolutely brilliant! Thank you so much for creating Pine Valley and Erica Kane.

13. Pat Ennen says:

Hers were the only two soaps I watched regularly when I was workings nights or 12 hr 6p to 6a shift.Since they ran consecutively I planned my sleep around them. My deepest condolences to her family. RIP Agnes Nixon.

14. Mary says:

VERY TALENTED WOMAN. R.I.P. AGNES

15. Judiwb says:

Thanks for bringing soaps to tv. I watched OLTL, AMC, & Loving even The City. Condolences to her family. I wished they had continued because it was great television. Shame on ABC. RIP Agnes!!

16. Jennifer Crane says:

Oh, what a class act. I LOVED her soaps, OLTL and AMC. Her humor went into those, especially I’m more familiar with OLTL, I watched that soap for years and miss it. What a great career and great lady. Thank you Agnes Nixon, for the great contributions to television and to life, you made.

17. Jennifer Crane says:

Oh, what a class act. I LOVED her soaps, OLTL and AMC. Her humor went into those, especially I’m more familiar with OLTL, I watched that soap for years and miss it. What a great career and great lady. Thank you Agnes Nixon, for the great contributions to television and tOh, what a class act.