This Is Us Scores Full-Season Pickup

That was fast: After just one airing, This Is Us has snagged a full(ish)-season pickup of 18 episodes, NBC announced Tuesday.

Enthused executive producer Dan Fogelman in a statement: “This order for a complete first season of 18 episodes is exactly what we’d wanted and hoped for. We’d carefully mapped out an 18-chapter story for the first year of the show, and this allows us to follow through with our exact initial intent. And to get the order so early on is a tremendous show of confidence and a boost for our entire cast and crew.”

The twisty family drama debuted last Tuesday to 10.1 million total viewers and a 2.8 demo rating, delivering the Big 4’s highest-rated drama debut since last fall’s Supergirl. It also marked NBC’s highest-rated scripted program in the time slot in more than six years, since an April 2010 episode of Parenthood.

TVLine readers gave the premiere an average grade of “A-.”

1. 18 episodes is not a full season.

2. Linda Beasley says:

“This is Us ” Must see TV on NBC
    I love it and can’t wait until it comes on Tonight 💜

3. Ted says:

Full season? That used to be 22 episodes!

4. Shaun says:

I think the worst thing to do is renew after the pilot,ratings haven’t even settled yet!

5. webly3 says:

I’m actually glad the season is 18 episodes. The only shows these days that should have full seasons are procedurals and half-hour sitcoms.

6. S says:

Have none of you actually read and understood the story? An 18-episode season is exactly what the creators envisioned and intended for the first season. We should be applauding NBC for giving the creators what they wanted, rather than forcing them to come up with 4 additional unplanned hours. Network TV should more often embrace season lengths that fit the show, rather than producing 22 simply because it’s what’s always been done. As we’ve seen with cable for years now, 22 episodes almost always results in a swath of filler that goes nowhere and, overall, damages the quality/pace of the season.

• Gospino says:

I read and understood it, and I still want more than a chintzy 18 episodes. Even 22 is still a crappy low number. Why would I want less of a show I like?!?

• Christy says:

I agree! I’m so happy they got the exact number they wanted and can’t wait to see what happens with everyone.

7. Kevin K says:

18 instead of 22 for This Is Us. That’s something. No complaining

8. wrstlgirl says:

I’m happy with the shorter seasons. I actually wish they were even less. To many good shows have been ruined by filler episodes and/or story arcs that dragged on to long.

9. c-mo says:

Don’t care if it’s 18 or 22, it will be on my TV until Spring which makes me immensely happy!

10. Lala says:

I like these shorter seasons…like HTGAWM & Empire. The season is over & done with when the audience still wants more.

11. Susan Moore says:

Had heard nothing but raves about this show as a family friendly show. So I sat my 90 year old mother down to watch it and in the first 5 minutes we see a man’s bare ass and sexy dance from a pregnant woman…..so much for family friendly. Off it went. So sad, you had to add just enough to put this off limits for so many.

12. K says:

I find 15-18 episodes max a season is perfect. I don’t get why shows need 20 plus a season (heck Grey’s still does 24 which is ridiculous).I really enjoy this show and hope the quality keeps up. I’ve been wanting a good network family drama to watch since Parenthood ended and this fits the bill.

13. Tammie says:

Luckily it replayed Saturday night so I got to watch it.. Staying up till 11 on a Tuesday is hard for me.. I’m a single mother who works 10 hours a day Monday -Friday.. Anyway I loved the show & hope it gets an earlier spot then 10 through the week .

14. ScrubsGuy says:

I didn’t realize Dan Fogelman was doing this – The Neighbors and Galavant were great! Would someone who enjoyed those shows find something similar in this?

• c-mo says:

I didn’t watch The Neighbors but This Is Us is nothing like Galavant, its more like Parenthood, in that it centers around a family. The place it diverges from Parenthood is that there are a lot of flashbacks to when the kids were little. This is a fantastic show and you need to give it a try, I think you’d like it.

15. GLO says:

Glad to hear it. Hope it continues to be entertaining and that we actually see Man-ny’s sister lose some weight. She will be so much happier. She is already beautiful. The triplets story was amazing too, loved it!

16. Joey Padron says:

Great news the show got a full season order! 18 episodes is a good number of episodes for their first season.

17. Jim J. says:

18 episodes. A “full season” for a series that’ll ONLY be working abbreviated seasons. It is true that there is a growing number of “abbreviated-seasons-only” scripted series on U.S. broadcast TV.

I remember Kevin Reilly state that there was “no standard full-season order for a show on broacast TV anymore” while commenting on the final season of Fox Network’s “Glee” in May 2014 just before leaving the network.

18. Shib Neddeff says:

turned off half way through sorry boring

19. hornacek says:

Good move NBC! Because a show’s ratings never go down in the episodes after the pilot!

20. Roe says:

Awesome news!!!!

21. nadia simmons says:

This is Us is a brillant, awsome, amazing show, Keep up the great story line. love it love it

22. KayCeeCee says:

Deservedly so.

23. zeelustansmom says:

I was as gutted as anyone else that she showed up in later life with Miguel and not jack.
    here are my 2 possibilities for what may have happened:
    1. he drank himself to death or had a death related to alcohol
    2. she followed through on her ultimatum to clean up his act with regards to his drinking
    3. jack is there with them but just not at the door yet with Rebecca and Miguel (he may just be getting something from the car kind of delay)
    So I did a little reading and lo and behold on IMDB.com it reveals that Jack is not out of the picture at all. Hes in 8 episodes and Miguel is in only 1 episode.
    We can stop worrying. I’m a big JAck and Rebecca fan.