The Tick Amazon Pilot

Amazon Orders The Tick, I Love Dick and Jean-Claude Van Johnson to Series

Amazon on Tuesday ordered to series three of its latest pilots: Jill Soloway’s I Love Dick, its remake of The Tick and Jean-Claude Van Johnson.

The Tick, starring Guardians of the Galaxy‘s Peter Serafinowicz, follows a strange blue superhero who is called to action when an underdog accountant (Vinyl‘s Griffin Newman) with zero powers comes to realize his city is owned by a global super villain long-thought dead.

I Love Dick, based on the best-selling book, follows a married couple (Transparent‘s Kathryn Hahn and House of Lies‘ Griffin Dunne) as their preconceptions about love and monogamy are challenged by an enigmatic writer (played by The Following‘s Kevin Bacon).

Last but not least, Jean-Claude Van Johnson stars Jean-Claude Van Damme as a retired action film star (heh!) who enters the covert contractor game. Kat Foster (Your Family or Mine), Moises Arias (The Middle) and Phylicia Rashad (Creed) also star.

All three of the aforementioned programs debuted as part of Amazon’s latest “pilot season” on Aug. 19, meaning each pilot is already available to Prime subscribers. Full-length seasons are expected to drop in 2017.

1. Steven says:

The only one I enjoyed was Jean-Claude Van Johnson. Looking forward to a full season.

2. Peachy says:

I really enjoyed “The Tick” with Patrick Warburton that aired (and wasn’t promoted at all) on FOX. That show was tongue-in-cheek, smart fun.

Mr. Warburton had stated to in the press that he still had his costumes, Nestor Carobonelli stated that “The Tick” was his favorite show he had done, even more than “Lost.”

Director Barry Sonnenfield stated the pilot was the best thing he ever directed.

This reboot may not be what fans had in mind.

3. lrdslvrhnd says:

I still think the picture above is actually Leonard & Sheldon from Big Bang Theory cosplaying.

4. Fido says:

Found Tick a bit meh, didn’t see dick, but kinda loved the JCVJ show.

5. evababy says:

Oh Dear Lord. They ordered I Love Dick to series? That show was insufferable.

6. Drew says:

With the news that Kat Foster’s new Amazon series is moving forward, does that mean “Your Family Or Mine” is officially dead? I like that show a lot but haven’t seen an official cancellation. (FutonCritic still lists it as “on hiatus/fate TBD”.)

7. Erica says:

Yay, The Tick

8. I felt like I needed a shower after watching I Love Dick. I appreciate that Kevin Bacon likes offbeat projects, and I love a good offbeat show, but this is not good. My wife and I kept looking at the clock, hoping it would be over, but it kept going on and on and on, or seemed to, anyway. Yecchh.