The Strain Season 4

The Strain Renewed for 'Fantastic' Fourth and Final Season at FX

FX has set an end date for The Strain.

The cabler announced Tuesday that it has renewed the thriller for a fourth and final season, to air in Summer 2017. The decision comes halfway through the show’s third season.

“We sincerely thank Carlton Cuse, Guillermo del Toro, Chuck Hogan and their creative team as well as the fantastic cast for three exciting seasons of The Strain,” said Nick Grad and Eric Schrier, Presidents of Original Programming, FX Networks and FX Productions, in a joint statement “Though we’re sad to see it go, we fully support the way in which they are crafting the fourth season’s dramatic conclusion.”

“Our original plan was for the series to last three years,” said Cuse. “Once we began telling that story it expanded to be more. After finishing the writing on season three, Guillermo, Chuck and I looked at our remaining story and felt the best version could be told in one more season. We have a fantastic plan for an exciting and climatic season four. We are deeply grateful to FX for supporting our vision and for allowing us to end the show on our own timetable.”

Last month at the Television Critics Association summer press tour, Cuse told Matt Mitovich, “As we are beginning to work on Season 4, we’re in the process of trying to figure out how many episodes we have left…. [But] we are definitely moving towards an ending.”

1. Hopeful Harry says:

So a fourth season AND a final season…right???

2. Wordsmith says:

I feel like this past episode finally got to the point where this season was supposed to start, with the infestation spreading unchecked across the globe. It took them a bit longer than anticipated to get through the cat-and-mouse game with everybody chasing the Lumen and the Master.

3. TJ says:

Really excited to learn that this series is going to get a proper ending. I remember reading before it premiered that it was only going to last 3 seasons, but watching the current season I was fearing they were going to rush the story…

4. Walkie says:

Just an awful TV show that I keep watching for some reason.

5. Awe though I am glad they will get to end it properly, I will miss it when it’s gone! It’s one of my favorites, I am currently watching The Strain after Fear The Walking Dead, I watch everything On Demand online, and The Strain is a good companion for FTWD! This week I added Once Upon A Time too, but since it’s not scary, it’s more of a comfy companion of both, after watching the other two,lol!

6. debsisdead says:

Hmm I spose I shall endure it as long as there is a resolution one way or the other. I don’t much care whether the stregori get wiped out or take over the world since none of the humans lest are worth urinating upon. I’ve taken to FF’ing any scene with the Stoll character in it as his line in self pitying alcoholism is completely irritating while his Heath Robinson attempts at science with a capital S are pitiful fails.
    From what I can gather from the beginning and end bits of the scenes they share, the Stoll drunk is about to indulge in a horizontal drunken groping with the equally drunken town bike – won’t that be a joyful example of having ‘fun’ in the apocalypse! That is truly the most aggravating aspect of the show – that the writers are 100% prepared to have pointless soap diversions obscure the plot. If it isn’t a street thug letting his mommy issues lose an important battle against the stregori, it is a whining self entitled kid continually sabotaging the strategy.

Real people don’t behave like this – out there in the real world someone would have decided that the thousands of ordinary decent children who didn’t obsess over an insane parent and endanger everyone else had more right to live and quietly ended the spoilt one’s existence.
    So yeah I still (just) watch the show but I’m closer now than ever before to deciding to skip the rest of season 3 and most of season 4 & only watch the last couple of season 4.
    Maybe now the writers have an end date they will quit making so much filler by going down these pointless cul de sacs of who is up who and which one pays the rent – doing that would make the strain a much less frustrating watch – frustrating because the outcome is always so predictable.

7. Jim J. says:

Besides the story that remains in “The Strain”‘s run, I suppose Del Toro, Cuse, and Hogan must have looked at the ratings for “The Strain”‘s current season and saw that they were at record lows, so they’ll further constrain the story by ending at four seasons, since earlier reports said that “The Strain” would have five seasons.

8. Otown says:

More Zach!

9. This is how series are handled in the UK. They’re mapped out for a certain story arc and once its finished the show ends, ratings or not (like Downton Abbey). I like that. You don’t get bored with a “zombie” series that limps along for ten or more years long after its story has been told and the entire team understands the time frame involved.

10. Brenda says:

I very much appreciate a series that tells a complete story and has a proper ending. Wish all tv was that considerate. Strain writers, you have the opportunity, don’t suck!

11. Debbie says:

I love The Strain. I hate to see it go.

12. Still hoping season 5 says:

Awesome show. Already looking forward to season 4

13. Tina says:

Strain is so good it has to end and not get ridiculous

14. ludi66 says:

What a shame! I love The Strain. It could have gone on for a few more seasons!

15. Better Season says:

This was a good reason finale I’m glad the mother is FINALLY dead…..someone is going to have to kill Zach which i am going to assume the Master will take his body and be stronger than ever….so the doc will probably be the one that does so…or he’ll punk out and someone else in the group will do it.

16. i will be sad to see it end, i just hope its not a crap season like so many other shows did, they just gave up at the last season, so i hope they dont do that to this great show, will be sad but had good run and hope it gets replaced by something just as good.

17. Honestlytho says:

Was hoping for at least 5 seasons! this show is indeed better than any tranny vampire diaries or originals.. Finally vamps are shown as true strigois and not gay looking mans with too much red lipstick..

18. Ken says:

The fourth is the final season

19. Ken says:

I read the three novels and so should all of you then you will see and understand much more.

20. Traci Boyd says:

I hope the writers of this show will hand it over to Netflix to continue this epic series.

21. Cookie says:

Does anyone feel like me .. nooo do not end it i love it, the feeling of i don’t want to watch anymore of these shows because you are right into them and then they take them away i have trust issues now lol, I don’t want it to end 😪

22. larns_eye says:

I’m just sad about the news..it should have run for 7 seasons atleast

23. Phyllis Hall says:

Rats. How do I live without this? There are no other sow to even compare to this one. I’m doomed to never watch TV again.

24. katanaguy says:

Are we going to have some people holding up signs that say “Go Vamps”..or “Go Master”….like football fans do…..in an episode?….lol. Some people like to show support for the bad guys in things like this. I am not one of these. We all pretty much know how this is going to end….or do we? The writers may leave us scratching our heads with not knowing for sure if The Master has been finally destroyed or not and there are many ways they could do this. Some of my friends feel that The Master and his followers are the Democrats of the future. Oh my, now that is scary.

25. Morgan Patrick says:

I look forward to every Sunday night watching this show! I am very, very sad to see it go.