Once Upon Time Robin Hood Returns

Once Upon a Time: Sean Maguire to Return as Robin Hood — But How?

Despite being killed off toward the end of Season 5, Sean Maguire’s Robin Hood will resurface on ABC’s Once Upon a Time.

Want to know how? You Sherwood! Alas, the show bosses are mum on the nature of the improbable, multi-episode encore.

“[We] are excited for the audience to see what we have planned, which … we hope is unexpected and surprising,” cocreators Adam Horowitz and Eddy Kitsis said in a statement to EW.com.

At a recent premiere screening, Kitsis said, “Dead is dead” when asked about Robin Hood’s possible resurrection, adding: “A lot of this year is about Regina dealing with loss and moving on, because I think Regina has the most unfair luck of anybody.”

Robin Hood “was someone she did love and who she did lose,” Horowitz added, “and we hope that we deal with that grief and its aftermath in a real way.”

Meaning, Once will not “pull a Hook” and retrieve Robin from the Underworld, especially since the Season 6 opener suggested his soul is not in limbo but had blissfully moved on. “‘I don’t see that happening.’ That would be the respectful answer,” Kitsis said when pressed.

Want scoop on Once, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Ray says:

Death means nothing on fantasy shows anymore….The Vampire Diaries, Arrow and now OUAT.

2. This is a show known for its flashbacks to previous events. It’s highly likely that Robin isn’t being brought back from the dead so much as he’s appearing in someone’s flashback.

• Starbuck84 says:

I don’t think it’s a flashback. What kind of flashback would they need him for that stretches over “multiple episodes”? Unless he’s Aladdin’s cousin twice removed or something I don’t see it.

I think what they’re going to do is show what happened to his soul after it was crushed by Hades and give him a “happier” ending – sort of like Neal and all the others who died got shown as having a good after life last season. And they should do that too. The way they wrote Robin Hood’s story last season was absolutely shameful.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I agree, flashbacks are unlikely, for multiple episodes. No one is clamoring for his “missing” NYC days. I like Kate’s idea below, except it’s EQ who is gaslighting Regina into thinking he is “around.”

3. kate says:

Taking a wild guess here that they either a) try to call on his spirit in a way to confound the Evil Queen, b) Rumple and Belle’s son really is Morpheus and Hyde offered Regina a similar way to deal with something or c) the easy answer, flashbacks, heck, even Robin’s time in New York flashbacks.

4. Ronnie says:

I think it would be more like him appearing to her in dreams to guide her through her battle with the evil queen, reminding her of how love saved her.

5. Jennifer says:

I see the Evil Queen showing glimpses / bringing him back to torment Regina. Kind of a “see what you could have had, but “good guys” never win. That’s why you NEED me.”

6. I hope I am wrong but I see this as setting up for a final season (or in the final season). If you read CS Lewis, you maybe familiar with the book “The Last Battle”. I’ve advocated using this book as a guide for the finale/final season and it would make sense for Robin to be there waiting for Regina.

7. Stewart says:

Maybe it wont be him at all, maybe the evil queen will turn into him to fool Regina and then turn back to herslf once shes convinced?!

8. Huong Nguyen says:

They have to find ways to bring back Robin Hood just like hook came back to Emma. Robin is a hero. He does not deserve to die that way. Have to bring him back to Regina :). I felt bad for her and him for not being together. They are happy together. Why they took him away her?

• Huong Nguyen says:

Why they took him away from her?

• Huong Nguyen says:

They were happy together!!!

• Nicky Aiuto says:

Not going to happen. They did that sort of thing already in season 4 where they were forced to seperate, until they got back together near the end of the season. And in season 5, he’s gone.

That sort of act was similar to CS, and probably like former OQ, they might end the same way too. And since the prediction of one regular leaving the show, it seems to tie to Emma’s vision of her fate (which might lead to someone else major who dies before the winter finale). It might relate to OQ last season.

9. Grace says:

it’d be a lot more “unexpected and surprising” without press/a statement about it ;)

10. Azerty says:

Dead is dead? Are you kidding me? This applies only to Baelfire, every other dead characters came back someway…Glad to see Robin back but don’t pretend to say that when they clearly can’t stick with dead characters.

11. Butch says:

Hopefully it won’t be someone disguising themselves as Robin. That has been done too much on the show with Zelena pretending to be Marion and Hook pretending to be Henry as two examples.

12. Butch says:

How about the Evil Queen putting a sleeping curse on Regina so they she dreams of what her life would have been if Robin had lived. The heroes try to break the spell but Regina wants to stay in the dream world. Unfortunately I just realized that is too similar to the Superman story , “For the Man Who Has Everything”

13. Ece says:

I hope in S06 B A&E will say “Surprise!” and we’ll live happily ever after.

14. My theory is the Evil Queen will use Robin’s image to mess with Regina.

15. Ram510 says:

That sucks Sean Maguire deserves to be on the show. I liked Robin and Regina together

16. PropertyOf says:

I feel like OUAT writes themselves into corners sometimes. Robin was supposed to be the one for Regina; they put all this effort into setting it up! Then it seemed like they either ran out of ideas or simply didn’t want *yet another* happy couple alongside the Charmings AND Captain Swan, so they killed him off. Is there going to be yet *another* “true love” for Regina?

17. leejay29 says:

This is almost enough to get me watch cause I really liked Robin & Regina. But I’m sticking to my guns and dropping this once-fun, now-booooooring show.

18. Mark says:

Regina sees dead people.

19. Danielle says:

If anyone read comments in an interview made by sean megure (robin hood) himself he noted he actually came back at the end of season 5. The scene got cut. So sean himself accidentally reveals they already brought him back from the underworld and into the enchanted forest to see his son rolland. i quote, back from the underworld. So haydes is lying and Robin did infact get to go to the underworld. Im assuming these scenes were cut because theyd reveal too much baout next season? Im hoping so because knowing of a unseen heart warming hello goodbye between robin and his son, i feel like I missed out. Ive been digging but cant find the cut scenes anywhere online. Hoping theyll be in deleted scenes section of the dvd wen it releases.