Quantico Recap Season 2 Premiere

Quantico Premiere Recap: Farm Team

Alex Parrish has a sleek new haircut, a young-professional pantsuit and a nagging suspicion that something very bad is about to happen: Yep, it’s time for Quantico‘s second season.

Sunday’s season premiere catches us up on what all of your favorite NATs have been up to since Simon’s Funeral of Sadness But Also Vindication (working title), and for the most part, everyone is thriving. Alex is a bored CIA analyst. Ryan is preparing to ask her to marry him. Even Caleb has found his equilibrium as a law student. But then those ol’ dual timelines kick in, and pretty soon we jump from ho-hum normalcy to First-Lady-about-to-be-beheaded-on-live-TV in the space of an hour.

How did we get here? Read on for the highlights of the Season 2 premiere, “Kudove.”

CIA YA REAL SOON | Immediately after Alex accepts Matthew Keyes’ offer to become part of the Central Intelligence Agency, we fast-forward to Alex walking around New York’s Financial District, looking worried. “I’ll be better when it’s over,” she tells Rayna on the phone. It turns out, she’s talking about meeting with Ryan — who’s now part of the President of the United States’ daily briefing team — to give him back an engagement ring. Wait, what? (For clarity’s sake, I’m going to refer to the Financial District siege as “the present” and Alex and Ryan’s time at the CIA as “the past.”)

The clearly no-longer-together pair are both there for a gathering of world leaders, who are meeting to consider putting an end to global surveillance. He’s working, she says she’s a civilian, but who even knows anymore? Alex and Ryan exchange some cryptic conversation, then he leaves to attend to POTUS. As Alex goes outside, she notices someone she thought was dead. How can she be sure, Shelby asks when Alex calls her (estranged? again?!) FBI pal? “I’m the one who killed him,” Parrish says.

NOT AGAIN | But even when the Bureau’s database says the guy is totally normal and really not dead, Alex’s spy senses won’t stop twitching — especially when a few unmarked white trucks enter the secure area near the summit. Just then, a series of what seem like coordinated explosions go off all around the Financial District’s perimeter, and a cadre of masked, armed people dressed in black swarm the summit and gas everyone — including Ryan, Rayna (who’s working as a translator), POTUS and FLOTUS — into unconsciousness.

The assailants call themselves the Citizens’ Liberation Front, they want pardons for global perpetrators of security crimes, and they’re prepared to unleash a biological agent if their demands aren’t met. Their masks are also scaring me for reasons I can’t quite pinpoint: They’re kinda Sleep No More meets Star Wars Captain Phasma, and I find them unsettling.

Alex finds them… in a trunk. Along with a bunch of other bad guy uniforms/voice changers/etc. But before she can figure it out any further, she’s attacked… by a very familiar face. (We’ll get back to this in a moment.)

Quantico Season 2 Russell Tovey PhotoWHO INFILTRATES THE INFILTRATORS? | Quick postcard from the past: Alex and Ryan are together. Alex is unchallenged by her boring gig in the CIA basement. Shelby is still at the FBI, and she and Alex are living together. Caleb is enrolled at Berkeley Law School. Nimah recently busted a cartel in Arizona. Iris is kicking butt in Miami. Ryan is about to propose to Alex, but she gets a mysterious blue Post-It… then an even more mysterious call exactly at the time listed on the Post-It. Turns out, she’s been selected to test to be a CIA agent, and she has to go to a specific location RIGHT NOW TELL NO ONE GO GO GO.

So she makes her excuses — and leaves a disappointed Ryan to put the ring back in his pocket — and drives to the secret location… where she finds Ryan. And a bunch of other people. But Ryan’s the one we care about the most right now, because he and Alex are yelling at each other about how they can’t trust each other. But Miranda and Matthew Keyes show up quickly and, in a cramped and not cute dark room, inform the pair (who are both still FBI, by the way) that they have to infiltrate the CIA to find a group of rogue agents “with their own nefarious agenda” who are thinking of pulling a Liam O’Connor… but on a much bigger scale.

SECRET LOVERS THAT’S WHAT WE ARE | Of course, all this cloak-and-dagger stuff means that Ryan and Alex can’t let on that they’re dating. So when they meet the rest of the potential agents — a group that includes a brooding photojournalist named León, a pompous novelist named Jeremy, a jocular Brit named Harry and an eager actuary named Lydia — they merely cop to being former co-workers. Lying to people who have been noted for their abilities to finely read human behavior? What could be problematic about that?!

A man named Owen Hall leads the program, and he’s played by Blair Underwood, so there’s a good chance you either inherently trust him or want to sleep with him, or a little bit from Column A and B. He leads the group through a series of tests, including one where they’re supposed to drink, another where they’re supposed to lie — and Ryan does so a little too well for Alex’s tastes — one where they’re supposed to take off all their clothes (mourn not the locker-room scenes) and one where they have to jump out of a plane.

In the end, both Alex and Ryan make it through — him at the top of the group, her at the bottom, thanks to some heroics she tried to pull to save Lydia’s life during the skydiving task. But as it turns out, Lydia actually works for Owen (she’s already an agent), and none of them like Alex’s tendency to want to be the hero. Also? Owen is Lydia’s dad, but no one but us knows that right now. Oh, and if Alex winds up at the bottom of the “murder board” (way not to be dramatic, guys) one more time, she’ll be bounced from the program.

In their hovel of love later that night, Ryan and Alex bemoan that they can’t be together for the following six months, which they’ll spend at the CIA training facility known as The Farm. He shows her the ring and starts to pop the question, but she stops him, and who can blame her? That room looks like it’s two microbes away from a black mold outbreak. No girl wants a moldy proposal. “This’ll be the one place we tell each other the truth,” they promise. “And shag,” I add.

Later, all of the Farm newbies head to their dorms. Ryan and León are paired up, as are Harry and a new guy who’s religious. Alex’s roommate — who, like Harry’s bunkmate, is presumably from one of the two other groups who passed the test earlier that evening — is already in bed, and she’s weeping quietly.

WELL, THAT ESCALATED QUICKLY | Back in the present, Alex unmasks her attacker and realizes it’s Jeremy, the “millennial Tom Clancy” from her program. “You’re wrong about a lot of things, aren’t you?” he says, mentioning that she can’t stop what’s begun. Then he jumps out of a window, presumably to his death.

Back in the room full of hostages, POTUS pardons the first criminal and thinks things will be totally fine in the aftermath. Seriously, dude? The terrorists reveal that they have undercover operatives in the crowd, then move forward with their next objective: to behead the First Lady on camera. Just as the blade is about to fall, the screen cuts to black.

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of the premiere? Grade the episode via the poll below, then hit the comments to elaborate on your thoughts!

1. Dave says:

Good grief, just as awful as the second half of season one. I mean, come on. We are basically exactly where we were with this show. Two timelines, both confusing as all get out. A new group of people to follow, each with secrets, but each who look like they just stepped out of a Calvin Klein ad. Same back and forth Alex/Ryan crap. Same ridiculous training exercises that never amount to anything important. Just ugh. Talk about continuing mediocrity. I’m out. Good luck to all those planning on following this.

• Sheila says:

I really hoped they’d calm down with nonstop time changes – nope!

• dan says:

Me too. Turned it off at the 40 minute mark, too much of my time wasted on this show (again).

• Jim says:

I couldn’t believe I tuned in after the mess Season 1 devolved into . . . and then Alex went into the locker room and I remembered why. Seriously though just cancel this and put Priyanka in a better show. Please?

• JMark (formerly JM) says:

Just finished watching (as it wasn’t a priority) and promptly removed it from my recording list. Absolute garbage. I’m done.

2. Nikki says:

I barely made it through last season but watched to give it a chance again. Turned it off halfway through; its awful. I’m done. I cannot recall a show I liked so much in the beginning that fell so hard.

3. Dave says:

Later, all of the Farm newbies head to their dorms. Ryan and León are paired up, as are Harry and Jeremy.
    Jeremy? Thought he was kicked outta The Farm when he refused to jump out of the plane.

4. Cobra says:

It basically seems like they hit a giant ol’ reset button. Everything is exactly the same as it was last year except that now they’re at The Farm instead of Quantico (meaning the title really holds no relevance anymore). I stuck out Season 1, but I don’t know if I have the energy for Season 2…especially when it feels like I’ve already seen it.

5. Drew says:

One recruit is in San Francisco (Russell Tovey), another in Chicago, another in DC, others in NY, etc., yet when they each get their call they all make it to the CA test area at the same time? This show defies logic. Yet I watch it. I think I need help…

• Alichat says:

They all had different times on their post-its. And we don’t know if they were called on the same day.

• "A" says:

Since they all were in different time zones they likely had 12 to 24 hours to get to town and then were instructed to all meet at the same time at a certain location

Jeremy Miller – 1:37 ( Chicago, IL )
      Léon Velez – 12:46 ( Washington D.C. )
      Dayana Mampasi – 8:10 ( Boston, MA )
      Lydia Bates – 9:25 ( Seattle, WA )
      Harry Doyle – 2:11 ( San Francisco, CA )
      Alex Parrish – 8:18 PM ( Langley)

6. Drew says:

And oh, the title credits had the title as Quan2ico. Really?!

7. Lola says:

No Simon, though that was likely. And no Caleb? I found those to be two of the most interesting characters last season.

8. Drew says:

BTW,Harry isn’t rooming with Jeremy. Jeremy was kicked out for not jumping from the plane. Harry’s roomie is from the alternate group of recruits. He was of Asian heritage and was sitting next to the girl who we later saw crying in Alex’s room.

9. dan says:

Was Blair Underwood speaking with an English accent for part of his opening lines? I used to like him as an actor, but he the bugged me tonight. What was that bizarre scene with Alex, Ryan, Miranda (wasn’t she fired from the FBI a few times last season?) and the CIA guy? I couldn’t figure out what they were talking about. Alex still works for the FBI? Then when Alex jumped to help Lydia I realized that I didn’t care what happened next so I jumped to turn off the tv. Done.

10. Ricky23 says:

Had to watch the first season because I had started watching it even though the acting was just horrendous. Nearly started watching the second season but I’m glad I didn’t get sucked in this time.

11. Cassie O says:

Okay, seriously with breaking up Ryan and Alex AGAIN! When she asked “How is she?” I screamed at the tv. Are they really expecting us to watch/suffer through that again? Oh, and Alex not talking to Shelby AGAIN! We’ve been there and done all that.

12. Amberly says:

I don’t really keep up with who writes what, other than Ausiello, but Ms. Roots is a great read! I laughed out loud a few times, which is super rare in an ep recap. Kudos to her and to Quantico for a good open to the season.

13. yvonne says:

Boringgggg..i decided to stop watch this series after season 1 ended..2 timeline stories and too much talking sh*t..and now they repeat the same in this season 2..i wondered how can they get renewal for season 2 *sigh

14. parstl says:

The two time lines gets tedious. I still like the diversity of the cast but everyone does look like a model not that mind the beautiful women. Alex is pretty but I still think NI’m ah and Lydia have more lasting real beauty.
    The story just didn’t interest me. Oh…hate to be political but do you really think America would elect an interracial president and first lady…especially a black man with a white wife? You could eliminate 40 percent of the state electoral college with that alone. The rednecks would go crazy and the sisters would be pissed.

15. westwingwolf says:

Are the people of the Farm being watched so much that Lydia had to receive a mysterious post-it as well even though she was already in on it? No one presumably knows the post-its are happening or what they are for until they get the call. Do her and her dad set this up every time on the off chance someone figures it out and might be watching her to find out if she’s operating in some secret mission to get secretly recruited by a secret part of a secret agency that already knows she is a member just to test fellow recruits who would already assume she got the post-it if she was there with them and therefore wouldn’t question how she is involved? That part was just to throw off the audience to keep them surprised by the reveal. It’s bad storytelling when the characters have no reason to get a post-it if they were always in on it from the beginning and no one other than the audience is watching to see them get recruited.

• jazzyt2u says:

Maybe she doesn’t know when the next time she’ll be involved and that just let’s her know it’s time and she can create the story of where she was when she got the post-it.

16. I obviously disagree with most people, because I like two timelines. What I really don’t like is how unstable are these relationships. We just binged season one, and often refered to them as middle schoolers with their on again off again friendships and backstabbing. Geez, grow up, much?

17. Max says:

Two time lines again? Nope. Might’ve worked as the hook for the first season, not going to work for me this time. Officially off my viewing list and off my DVR schedule.

18. Anonymous says:

Can anyone tell me why it doesn’t seem like Caleb’s going to be in it anymore?

19. "A" says:

Harry’s roommate wasn’t Jeremy it was new recruit Sebastian Chen.
    Alex’s roommate is Dayana Mampasi.
    ( both are from one of the two other teams )

20. Red Snapper says:

It was okay. I was a little disappointed that it wasn’t as good as last year’s premiere which grabbed me from the get go. Hopefully, they will stop with all the rehashing of similar story lines like pointless training exercises and relationship drama. I just want it to be better than the awful mess that the second half of last season was. I’ll stick with it for now but if it doesn’t get a bit more compelling than it’ll probably turn into a background noise show again.

21. Coal says:

I remember thinking last seen, if this show could be divided into two parts, first half only deal with the past until the midseason and brake and when it returns deal with the future. Anyway good luck Pearl Thusi.

22. A. D. says:

Feels like the same crap storyline from s1…tired of the time jumps…too confusing for this show.

23. Denise Saul says:

I thought the plot so far has been set up nicely for the rest of the season to unfold. I don’t mind the 2 timelines. What annoys me the most is the relationship between Alex Parrish and Ryan Booth,neither one of them seem to know what it takes to be in a relationship and make it work, perhaps they had better call it a day for good and move on!!! Life is too short for all that pussy footing around, ‘we are a couple’, we are not a couple’, for god sake ‘get a grip’.

24. Jennifer says:

I don’t understand how Alex was dinged for helping Lydia but Ryan wasn’t. He shouldn’t have been in first place even with his awesome lie detector score. Also Lydia shouldn’t have received a post-it note. That’s just stupid.

25. So…..there is a bomb in NYC….and training to work for a government agency…..and the Ryan/Alex lack of trust drama…..Alex has immediate tension with her instructors… even a bad guy jumping out a window.

The only S1 element missing is Alex’s magic hoodie that makes her invisible. But it’s still early.

26. wrstlgirl says:

I quit watching s1 because it was just to ridiculous and difficult to watch. Came back to s2 because they cast Russell Tovey but sorry Russell. Not even you can get me to watch this dreck.

27. Jojo Kracko says:

Uggh, the producers see every other new show being about time travel, and Quantico just has to start doing even more flashbacks every 30 seconds to ‘keep up’ with the trend. Worst part about the show. Very, very close to giving up on it at this point.

28. safia gidado says:

I’m really hating these time jumps
    And the back and forth with Ryan Why. And while we are on them who the hell is she??

29. allie says:

How about telling a story with a straight forward timeline! Tired of flashbacks and who’s screwing who and the confusing plot lines.

30. Brian says:

She can’t work for undercover for the FBI b/c of she’s been on TV, newspapers and mags, but she can work for cia? This is the premise for season 2. Seriously? Maybe season 3 will have Alex undercover in the Miss America Pageant. With Sandra Bullock.

31. lena says:

i gave it two minutes. “how is she, Ryan?” and i was out. i’m not interested in watching the same season all over again.

32. Rob Raff says:

Sooo laim, with the back to the CIA training nonsense, I had to skip ahead to keep watching, If they don’t stop the time loop everybody is going to stop watching.