Nashville Season 5

Nashville Season 5: Looking Fave Joins Cast... as Will's New Love?

Is Nashville eyeing a love triangle for the out-and- (finally) proud Will?

Presenting Exhibit A: Looking‘s Murray Bartlett is joining the CMT series’ upcoming fifth season in a major recurring role, TVLine has learned. Exhibit B: His character, named (for real) Jakob Fine, is described as “a very handsome, charismatic and successful men’s fashion designer.” Exhibit C: See Exhibit A and B and smush them together.

A Nashville source declined to say if Bartlett is being introduced as a love interest for Chris Carmack’s Will, but the insider confirms that the two characters will cross paths. Keep in mind that in the then-ABC drama’s Season 4 finale, Will reunited with Kevin (played by Kyle Dean Massey, who is expected to return in some capacity.)

The Lionsgate-produced Nashville will make its CMT debut with a special two-hour episode on Thursday, Jan. 5 at 9/8c.

Press PLAY below to find out what Connie Britton had to say about all those Nashville exit rumors.

1. Czerny says:

“Fewer characters,” they said. I hope these new hires are for minor roles.

2. abz says:

If that’s true, it’s so unnecessary. Will and Kevin barely got a real shot together like other couples on the show have. I want to see their relationship grow and develop. I liked them together.

• Kait says:

I’m with you. I loathe love triangles to begin with, and I’m not interested in a bunch of new characters who have no purpose except to mess with the characters we care about. Let us see Will and Kevin out and happy and the career impacts.

• abz says:

Agreed. Especially now that Will is finally out and they reunited in the finale. And all of a sudden it looks like they want to bring some outside drama to this relationship. Will barely gets much screentime and to waste it on another love interest. Nope. Give Will and Kevin a real shot.

• Ian says:

For gods sake, and let them sing together. Kyle has the voice of an angel. YouTube him. Like, why are these things we even have to ask for

• abz says:

I have come across some of Kyle’s singing on YouTube. I was pretty annoyed last season that Will and Kevin just never did a duet together on the show. They have to this season.

• Ian says:

With Will’s severely limited screentime, they thought it was cute last season to just write them off in the finale as a happy ending, but so now why can’t we see them actually write these songs together? Deal with being a gay couple and creative partnership on the country music scene?
          I know this is really just a clickbait article (MICHAEL!), but I seriously will just have to be done if there’s no point to investing in any of the romantic relationships.

• JKR says:

Exactly! Especially since in the real life Nashville music scene, there’s a very successful gay writer/producer who is married to someone in the industry… his music has even been featured ON “Nashville”!

• Emily says:

I saw Kyle in Wicked several years ago, and, yep, he has the loveliest voice! And is a really lovely, gracious person as well. I bet he and Chris would sound amazing on a duet!

• skyebright8 says:

Agree I’m fine if he’s a character from the LGBT community that Will and Kevin are friends with, but I don’t want him getting in the middle of their relationship. I like them as a couple and we haven’t seen much of the two of them just being happy together.

3. Ian says:

I will quit you, Nashville. Test me. Do it.

4. Mika says:

It seems kind of like Michael is stereotyping. Where did it say Murray’s character was gay. Just because Murray is gay in real life, was last on a show about gays, and is a character whose job is fashion designer doesn’t mean his character is gay.

5. Chris says:

The fact that Kyle Dean Massey will return to the fifth season of “Nashville” “in some capacity” makes me think we won’t see much of him and his relationship with Will! :-(