West Wing Reunion

The West Wing Cast to Reunite, Campaign for Hillary Clinton in Ohio

Start up the motorcade: The cast of The West Wing is reuniting… and this time, they’ve got a real-life candidate to elect.

Six stars of NBC’s Emmy-winning political drama — Allison Janney (C.J. Cregg), Bradley Whitford (Josh Lyman), Richard Schiff (Toby Ziegler), Dulé Hill (Charlie Young), Joshua Malina (Will Bailey), and Mary McCormack (Kate Harper) — will head to the battleground state of Ohio this weekend to campaign for Hillary Clinton. The Clinton campaign says the actors will attend several grassroots events across the state, encouraging residents to register to vote and explaining why they think Clinton is the right person for the job.

Throughout its seven-season run, The West Wing always stood as a beacon of high-minded political discourse amid all the partisan bickering in Washington. Maybe C.J., Josh, Toby, and the crew can bring a touch of civility to what’s been a very uncivil campaign so far.

Of course, Aaron Sorkin won’t be putting words into their mouths this time (we think), but he did make it very clear back in June how he felt about Clinton’s opponent Donald Trump: “I believe we’re in a terribly dangerous situation right now… he doesn’t know anything. Even if you don’t agree with Hillary Clinton, at least she’s a sober-thinking person.”

Despite being pictured in the tweet above, President Bartlet himself, Martin Sheen, isn’t expected to join his castmates in Ohio — but he did appear in Joss Whedon’s star-studded anti-Trump PSA that went viral on Wednesday. He even declared, in his booming Bartlet voice: “We cannot pretend both sides are equally unfavorable.”

So it looks like the Bartlet White House might be a clean sweep for Hillary. Does anyone know which way Rob Lowe is leaning?

Do you think President Bartlet would support Trump or Hillary? Pick a side — and be civil! — in the comments.

1. Demi says:

You don’t have to look far to know where Rob Lowe is leaning, his hate filled Twitter says it all.

2. Drew says:

This is awesome. Would love to see some ads from them in the battleground states. That said, now I’m going to sit back and wait for yet more ridiculous comments about how these celebrities should stay home and shut up. As I said in about the Joss Whedon campaign:
    I can’t help but laugh at those who take the time to come here to be upset that stars have the gall to have opinions about politics and also express them. Just like you have that right, so do celebrities! Shocker, I know!!!
    And then some are upset that celebrities are forming a super-PAC to support the other party and not the party they support? How dare they!! (If they were supporting your candidate, you’d be over the moon. But they’re not, so you’re bitter. That doesn’t make sense.)
    Here’s the thing, though: SCOTUS has said PACS and businesses can contribute whatever they want to a political party, so these celebrities are just following through and decided to create a PAC to publicly back a party. Business do it, unions do it, individuals do it. It’s the democratic process in the USA sine the turn of the century: money talks. But you’re not going to be upset about “capitalism”, are you?

3. Lysh says:

I am SO EXCITED for this! Not much awesome happens in Ohio and being a battleground state can be pretty annoying sometimes. I lowkey wish it weren’t getting so much press because I really hope I can get into one of these events (and hopefully it’s after I get off work). I’ve been pretty much refreshing pages for a few hours hoping for more details for my city.

4. SJ says:

Okay, even you Killary supporters have to admit this is a bit much, no?

• KeithH says:

Reeks of desperation. Pretentious, sanctimonious prats… I detest them.

• peterwdawson says:

Not really. Emotions have been running higher and higher every election, and now we’ve got two of possibly the most despised candidates in at least the last twenty years in an increasingly obstructionist political system, with people happily just referring to the candidates as names like Drumpf and Killary (I’d have used another example but hey, why not use what’s already there?) and many legitimately worried WWIII might happen under the candidate’s watch as President… Rolling out a bunch of actors from a popular TV show about a democrat-run White House is far from the biggest stretch that could happen here. Whedon’s anti-Trump video was more nuts than this.

• SJ says:

All of it is kind of nuts if you ask me, especially the hyperbolic “WWIII is gonna happen if candidate X gets elected”. No country in the world has the pull that Nazi Germany had back in the 1930s and 40s to make something like that happen. And if ppl actually took the time to listen to Trump and what he’s promising, they would be singing a different tune.

• peterwdawson says:

There’s enough loose-knit alliances that if a line was crossed we could see some kind war break out, easy. Turkey, North Korea, Syria of course, these places could, without too much of an effort, definitely cause a nasty conflict to break out. Maybe not an actual WWIII but worse than what’s already going on.

• Joann Bair says:

Seriously? You lunatics have Trump,the worst candidate in the history of this country and you are going to call her names and say it’s a “bit much”? Trump has insulted every segment of this society EXCEPT WHITE MEN,has incited violence through his hatemongering,said he could shoot someone then ppl like you continue to support him? Maybe there should be a test before citizens vote! Insanity on parade!

• Lola says:

Yes, a man who is not the sharpest tool in the shed and is blatantly misogynist, racist and disrespectful overall…this is the leader these folks want to be a role model for children everywhere. We are living in bizarro world for sure.

• Dawn says:

This same group has been to Ohio many times fundraising and doing events for the Clintons. I remember meeting most of them at Bill Clinton’s 50th birthday party in Dayton, OH. This isn’t new, weird, or wrong. It is fun and effective.

5. Liz985 says:

Nooooo, Hollywood isn’t politicized to the left at all….

• Simon Jester says:

Sure – how DARE actors have opinions! Don’t they know only country music stars have that privilege? ;-)

• Babygate says:

I say, they should do as many of these as they can. But let’s be honest, this is not having an opinion. This is political campaigning and as they choose to enter the political arena, they become subject to the same scrutiny, commentary and criticism as any other political operative does.

• quang says:

This is sooo not about people having the right to scrutinize and criticize. Read these comments? Trump supporter aren’t telling people that they disagree, they want them to stay silent altogether.

• Joann Bair says:

Exactly! But this is typical of right-wing extremists. They DEMAND their rights ti free speech,guns,religion. Then try to take those rights away from others. Their hate and racism knows no bounds. How dare a Liberal expect the same rights they have? NEWSFLASH,folks,the Constitution has no qualifiers in regarding our rights! It states all citizens are guaranteed these rights.

• dan says:

The problem I have with these is that I see people I really admire coming out in favor of a war mongerer with rivers of blood at her feet and they tell me I MUST vote for her because a moron who runs his mouth and says things he doesn’t mean to fire up his ‘Murica base is the evil one. Hillary Clinton is a god damn horror show, we will never know her full body count and these videos are people I love kissing the arse of a murderer imho. That’s my problem. I look at these candidates and I scratch my head. Every problem in the world seems to come down to Democrats and Republicans and their piss poor lack of common sense.

Johnson/Weld 2016

And before some fool brings up Aleppo…had Johnson or Sanders been President, NOBODY would know where it is or have heard of it because we wouldn’t have done what we did and made things so much worse.

• bobbie says:

Republicans and democrats both fund raise in Hollywood.

• jacksays says:

Six actors are “Hollywood”? All of Hollywood?? C”mon.

6. Babygate says:

I loved the West Wing and this cast is amazing. However, all these celebrity activities on behalf of Hillary leads me to believe that they are desperate. Hillary is out spending Trump 5 to 1. She has every celebrity, hedge fund manager and sports icon supporting her. In every Hollywood event, entertainment blog and award show the name of Trump is invoked with hatred and contempt, and yet, Trump’s numbers are actually going up. Whatever Hollywood, TV LAND and every other outlet is doing, keep it up. It’s working. Lol.

• rebecca says:

She’s outspending Trump because she’s raised a lot more than he has.

• c-mo says:

She’s not necessarily raised more, she’s just stolen more from her lower dollar contributors. But regardless, it’s hilarious because she’s still not winning in the polls.

• Simon Jester says:

Tinfoil hat alert! Tell us, how has she ‘stolen’ from people who voluntarily elected to give to her campaign? And is it anything like taking charitable donations and using them to pay down unrelated legal fees, as Trump has done?

• Katherine215 says:

What polls are you reading? 538 has her odds of winning at 57%

• quang says:

Trump’s whole campaign is based on contempt and hate by riling up support from a white majority who is agrees with his racist views on blacks, muslims and mexicans. You being sooo happy that “un-PC” (racist) rhetoric only makes him more popular is actually a BAD thing. And it’s this notion that Hollywood only makes his polls go up is blatantly untrue. Hillary default position is to lead Trump, and only dips after incidents like the health scare, thus she is going back up again.

• Joann Bair says:

Trump’s numbers are going up because of the ignorance of the American voter. Ppl are buying into his hatred and anger. What y’all don’t get is this fool is not QUALIFIED to be the POTUS! He is a reality T.V. star for Chris’s sake! He has ruined every business he has. He has no class. He insults anyone who has the nerve to call him on his BS even vets! He represents NOTHING this country is SUPPOSED to stand for,he is absolutely the worst candidate in the history of this nation. Yet ppl are embracing this nonsense! We will be the laughingstock of the world if he is elected which I highly doubt! I have more faith in most of my fellow citizens than that. How can we turn our country over to a buffoon after President Obama?

7. Jason says:

Why can’t these stupid celebrities keep their opinions to themselves!!! I’m voting for Donald Trump!

• bobbie says:

Trump is endorsed by white supremacists and ignores the constitution, so yeay on you!

• dean says:

Your solution to stupid celebrities not shutting up is to vote for one?

• Katherine215 says:

Stupid celebrities like Donald Trump with that dumb TV show of his, amirite?! He should keep his opinions to himself!

• Joann Bair says:

• Joann Bair says:

Because,Jason,the CONSTITUTION gives them the RIGHT to say what they wantbto say. You know tha first 10 Amendments that are known as The Bill of Rights? They are NOT ONLY for lunatics BUT ALSO for all citizens! Now Ibrealize that is difficult for y’all to understand but it is a FACT.

8. There is a news flash! Next you will tell me water is wet or there is climate change!

9. Davis says:

Sorry, but these people should realize their “fame from TV” makes them different. If they do not like that, they should get out of the profession, but then who would pay any attention to them which is exactly my point. Sorry Allison, but “Bye yo MOM.” Long time consistent watcher too

10. texmike says:

I wish Hollywood would give me a major break!

11. Leia says:

Honestly who cares who these people want, limo living actors, are not in touch with any reality the rest of us live in. Go home folks you have nothing to say to us. We’re not stupid and we sure don’t need, actors, folks who fool many into believing their fictional world is reality selling us a candidate.

12. joanne rysak says:

Great news, We are stronger together.

13. quang says:

I find it so funny when right-winger suddenly realises that Hollywood leans left. Just like with science, these areas will always lean left because facts and ideas are inherently liberal, just like how religion leans conservative.

14. Deena says:

West Wing was a show about a Democratic administration so it kind of makes sense that they support Hillary. I have no problem with that.

15. Patricia Donohue says:

No question that Bartlett would support Sen.Clinton. Bartlett was too intelligent, educated and too caring to support Orange Donald who admits he doesn’t like to read, who’s a racist and misogynist and knows little about either domestic or foreign affairs and doesn’t appear concerned about learning anything. (He’ll “have advisors” to think for him!)

• DJ Doena says:

And yet Jimmy Smits’ presidential candidate abhored the idea of attack ads. But Trump is always the “orange with a toupet” when he comes up in left discussions.

16. Wendy says:

I’m an independent who hates both main party candidates. That being said, I get using celebrity to get a crowd, but I’m sick of some Hollywood idiot telling me who to vote for. Don’t care if you are a republican or democrat, stop using side shot tactics and actually talk about issues and strategies to reach solutions.

17. Kathy christensen says:

Of course it would be Hillary Clinton.
    West Wing was my favorite TV show and I still miss it.
    Newsroom was also excellent.
    I hope Aaron Sorkin comes up with something new. He creates the best of the best.

18. Nancy says:

Celebrities were not born famous. They lived regular lives just like the rest of us. They are citizens of the United States and have opinions, just like us. Why should corporations and politicians have more say so than celebrities? Country singers have opinions. Actors have opinions.

19. CINDY OHANIAN says:

THIS IS THE BEST EVER !!. GO WEST WING CAST!!. WIN OHIO FOR US, AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!. WOO HOO !!. SAFE TRAVELS!!!

20. Cindy says:

The first of its kind where the cast of a well-written, intelligent tv series that dealt with the inner workings in the WH and Washington politics will campaign for the most consequential presidential election in U.S. history. Kudos to this brilliant cast of The West Wing for going out there to campaign for Hillary Clinton. It’s a very commendable position each of you had taken….GREAT WORK.

21. rockingjamboree says:

I think Rob Lowe parts to the left (if you know what I mean).

22. JScout says:

I love politics and I loved this show. I’ve also been a Hillary fan for years. Way to go West Wing cast, good luck.

23. Sissy brown says:

Great news. Thank all of you sooooo much for doing this. We need it. Go Hillary

24. Arlene Lieberman says:

President Bartlett – President Clinton.

25. victoria G Markell says:

Seriously, you have to ask. All the way with Hillary.

26. Brad says:

Desperation at it’s absolute finest. Disgusting. Good call Rob Lowe!

27. Murl Deaton says:

This is good news!! I don’t think it will reach the right voters though. Loved West Wing!’

28. You link to the Josh Whedon video but then ask about Rob Lowe’s support? Please review the video. He has a rather large role in it.

“So it looks like the Bartlet White House might be a clean sweep for Hillary. Does anyone know which way Rob Lowe is leaning?”

29. Dawn says:

Rob Lowe is a Democrat from Dayton, OH. I’d guess he isn’t joining them because of bad feelings left over from the show. He was not included in the group negotiations for salaries. None of us know why there was division in the cast, but their clearly was.

30. Manya Lynch says:

Thank you from my heart and soul! Best news! “Don’t tell me ; show me” You all are the Real Deal!

31. Dr Merrilyn Wasson says:

Have always been convinced that Jeb Bartlett was a Democratic President so no question these lovely folks are there for President Hillary Rodham

32. Be interesting to hear what Leo has to say.

33. Mari Pont says:

I think the President, like me, was a Bernie supporter and will vote against Trump and for protecting and improving the SCOTUS.

34. Lisa Tannenbaum says:

President Bartlett would have hand picked Hillary for the White House when he left office. Wish I could be in Ohio to attend an event! Thank you West Wing cast for helping save the United States. The West Wing is my favorite TV show, after the election I’m going to binge watch every season as a tribute to your efforts!

35. ginar369 says:

I think Barlett would have liked Bernie.

36. Lily Holden says:

I truly hope that “President Bartlett” will agree that both candidates are not fit to be President. They both are liars and are untrustworthy.
    Loved all seasons of West Wing.
    Power of media raises its head.

37. Brett says:

How fitting that a president with MS is campaigning for a candidate with Parkinson’s.

38. Trump must be paying millions for this. How embarrassing to Reality.

39. LolaHaze says:

I love the West Wing and recently have started re-watching the series to distract me from the disaster of this election. That said, good lord. With this and the recent Joss Whedon commercial, if Americans are only going to vote because some celebrity told them too, I think we deserve whatever crap we get.