Exclusive
Lost in Space Remake

Lost in Space: Netflix Remake Casts Falling Skies Alum as Judy Robinson

Netflix’s Lost in Space remake has locked in its first cast member, tapping Falling Skies actress Taylor Russell to play daughter Judy, TVLine has learned exclusively.

The role of John and Maureen’s eldest child was originated by Marta Kristen in the ’60s series, and later played by Heather Graham in the 1998 feature film.

Russell’s other notable credit is Lifetime’s Unauthorized Saved by the Bell Story, in which she played Lark Voorhies.

The 10-episode, Legendary TV-produced family drama/sci-fi adventure, which was formally ordered in June and is set to premiere in 2018, will take its cues from the original series and follow the Robinson family as they are forced to come together in a time of crisis. Stranded light years from their intended destination, they find themselves battling a strange new alien environment and their own personal demons.

The project hails from writers Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless (Dracula Untold, Last Witch Hunter), with Zack Estrin (Prison Break) set as showrunner.

“The original series so deftly captured both drama and comedy, and that made it very appealing to a broad audience,” said Cindy Holland, Netflix’s VP of original content, back in June. “The current creative team’s reimagining of the series for Netflix is sure to appeal to both fans who fondly remember the original and to create a new generation of enthusiasts around the world.”

1. James J Forginton III says:

Black people…in space??? Huh?!?!?!

• Mary says:

Yeah, because there aren’t any black astronauts. /sarcasm

• johnhelvete says:

Also the show might be doing something even more interesting and having a (Gasp) interracial couple as John and Maureen, which will really make some people happy (sarcasm as well).

• REVERSE RACISM IS DISGUSTING JUST AS RACISM BUT NO ONE DOES ANYTHING says:

We dont need a Black and white interacial couple, They were interracial. One was Spanish…John Robinson. This affects Spanish people more than white. DISGUSTING.

• John Perry says:

It’s just a bad idea. here they go again trying to tweak what doesn’t need to be messed with. I’m not expecting anything because I don’t want to be disappointed…AGAIN

• liame says:

Who’s clueless? Pick up a book, it’s not too late to self educate.

2. Brock Hard says:

Oh, great… more blackwashing.

3. Mary says:

I’m still kind of unsure about the whole Lost in Space reboot. Maybe they’ll surprise me.

4. and I’m not shocked this is going to get very racial real fast TVLINE. But in any event I can’t wait to see the show

• johnhelvete says:

I dont get it either. From my perspective, it would make the show ten times more interesting if Lost in Space was about an interracial couple with mixed race children, there are not enough examples of interracial couples on TV. Look at KC Undercover which missed the golden opportunity to do just that based on the background of Zendaya.

• It does get ridiculous when they feel the need to be politically correct on every show. But a proper interracial couple would be somewhat different. Typically there’s a tendency to just make them all the same and they wind up making a black version remake of a white show, although it’s more common in movies.

When you look at the makeup of real families, even among white families there’s often a mix of ancestral origins (Greek, German, English, etc.)

• Mad Hobbit says:

maybe they will pull a page from FF and make her adopted.after all that help that movie so much

• REVERSE RACISM IS DISGUSTING JUST AS RACISM BUT NO ONE DOES ANYTHING says:

Gee well you are probably in the .2% of interracial couples, so yea but see they are supposed to make it interesting for the general majority. For me its just as interesting as being forced to hire someone HIV positive to cook at my Restaurant.

5. readenreply says:

Get Sean Hayes to play Dr. Smith

6. Lily says:

I predict this will be the first Netflix show not to get a second season.

7. Scribe says:

Perhaps the script doesn’t hinge on whether or not the Robinsons are black, white, purple, gay, transgender, or flipping Amish.

Maybe this actress was the best one for the job and only minor adjustments (wholly from a casting point of view) needs to be done to accomodate her playing the part. I mean how is getting lost in space going to be affected if Mr. Robinson was played by Tony Todd ( I mean seriously that would be cool) and Mrs. Robinson (unfortunately not the awesome Anne Bancroft) was played by Elizabeth Mitchell?

People need to chill and just enjoy the show without getting bent out of shape over silly things.

8. David Knowles says:

Season 1 actually paid it pretty straight, an so did most of season 2, season 3 went the comedy route and ended up in cancellation.

• Umm, 1st half of season 1 was mostly straight, except for the cowboy story. 2nd half had alien of the week and some farce stories
      2nd seson was broad comedy mostly
      3rd season was more like 2nd half of season 1, less comedy, more action adventure.

• Luminous Green Gas Trails from Mars says:

What happened with season 3 was because Irwin Allen was trying to compete with Batman.

9. Michelle says:

I’m so sick of blacks appropriating white culture. Or, as is so obvious — the blackwashing of American history.

• Jess says:

She’s being ironic…right? Please tell me she’s being ironic.

• Britt/Bratt says:

Is that sarcasm or are you being serious?

• Johnny says:

I get what you’re saying Michelle. I’m pretty sure that if there was a ‘reboot’ of The Cosby Show, no one would be white. Perhaps political correctness needs to stop when it comes to ‘art’. Just a thought.

• Jamie says:

It’s incredible how people throw out the term “political correctness” anytime diversity is present, but then Matt Damon can still make a movie where he saves the Great Wall of China and Scarlett Johansson and Emma Stone are playing Asian characters. Go figure.

And there wouldn’t be a white casted reboot of the Cosby Show because one of the most important aspects of that show was how they were a black upper middle class professional couple raising children outside of the projects. It was the first show to depict black people this way, and that’s one of the reasons it was so successful. Most other depictions of black families at this time had them living in poverty, and all other black people with any kind of money before this show fell upon it by circumstance – The Jeffersons, Diff’rent Strokes, etc. The Cosby Show (which really wasn’t that long ago) was when we started to see a shift in how minority families where depicted in the media. It would make zero sense to erase all of that with a white cast since this is what made the show so pervasive in our culture.

• Matthew b lawler says:

The Jeffersons did not come about their money by circumstance he owned a series of dry-cleaning businesses yes in different strokes the African-American children were adopted by a wealthy white man has in Webster he was adopted by a white couple but don’t discredit the Jeffersons and say they came by their money by chance

• Jamie says:

You’re right – I worded that wrong. What I should have said was The Cosby Show was the first show about black people who were educated upper middle class professionals, breaking the mold from depictions of black people who were either poor or started off in the working class – Cliff had an MD, Clair had a JD, and I believe their eldest daughter also had a JD. Not that I’m saying there is anything wrong with any of the other depictions of black families (or black children adopted into families), but this show was important because it was the first time a black family occupied this space usually designated for white families on television. The Jeffersons did work hard for their money, but a lot of the jokes on that show stemmed from the fact that they came from a working class background and didn’t always “fit it” to the world they moved into.

• Amira says:

Wrong, Jaime. The Cosby family rarely disguised ‘color’. They were accepted by viewers, and treasured, as an American family, period. Not a black family. That’s one of the features that set them apart from the other shows that focused on the ‘blackness’ of the characters. “What’s Happening”, “Sanford and Son”, etc., all focused on ‘the black condition’; poverty – ghetto – lack of education – and so on. When I was growing up, I loved Cosby. They looked like my family, and my mom and dad were both working professionals. And, not unlike my family, race was not an everyday subject — we just lived our lives like any other American family. The same struggles, the same joys. Sure, we knew that we were not the majority….but as my grandma always said to us when we were kids, no two snowflakes are alike. That’s what makes each one special. =)

• REVERSE RACISM IS DISGUSTING JUST AS RACISM BUT NO ONE DOES ANYTHING says:

WRong, they were a BLACK FAMILY

• Amira says:

[EDIT] *disgused*, not disguised. Spell correct drives me nuts!

• Chase says:

I think the word you’re looking for is ‘discussed’. It’s interesting that when everyone likes the family/characters suddenly it’s ‘oh they weren’t a black family. The Cosby’s were, just because a broad spectrum of people could relate to them doesn’t make them any less black. Instead it indicates that non black people can relate to black characters. Which makes a good deal of these comments on the re-boot beyond odd.

• jazzyt2u says:

Thank you Chase. I really wish they would add like buttons to people’s comments.

10. Matthew B Lawler says:

I remember watching this on the Syfy channel has a kid and I really couldn’t tell you much about Judy or most of the characters I remember Mostly Dr. Smith the boy will and the robot the all I can really tell you about the series is the robot always saying danger will Robinson danger

11. Zakkaari Rokkanno says:

1st castmember met with defo approval.

I just hope to whatever gods there may be that there is no blatant comedy, aside from natural humor moments from realistic situations

Its just GOT to be a serious action adventure survival show thats believable, no farce, comedy show whimsical stuff that doesn’t fit in a show that takes itself seriously.

We’ve had a slaptick in the original, it brought it down (alongside the limitations of when it was made)

And SMITH should be a serious character,. not a whining effeminate fool, same with the robot.

No space cowboys, hillbillies, circuses, zoos, miners, hermits, pirates etc etc, unless its completely removed in style from the earth cliche versions and stands up in a believable sense.

LOST in space means just that, “CUT OFF FROM EARTH AND ITS CULTURAL STYLE”

If any character says “aaarrrr matey” or “shiver me timbers” “Vittles” or any other earth cliche nonsense then the show has crashed and burned.

Alien MEANS alien, they don’t speak english (unless through translators) or drop around for coffee or to borrow seasoning.

The show can soar without the comical foolishness.

12. mburns says:

I think Hollywood got the message. You better not make any movie or show without including black actors or all the SJW will bitch and complain, stamp their feet and cry racism.

13. Tootsie Nailher says:

Cindy Holland needs to change her VP title. This is NOT ORIGINAL programming.

14. Rozie says:

Dr. Smith should be Chinese. There aren’t enough Chinese people on TV, and if Lost in Space doesn’t do this, then they are very VERY racist.

15. Donald F Tanner says:

Why is it in every re-interpretation / remake, is it that white characters are reinagined as blacks? Case in point. Jimmy Olson on “Supergirl?”

And now Judy Robinson is black? Is the whole family going to be black now? For an interesting twist, keep Dr Smith as a white man, so the black Robinson family can always blame the white guy.

If the Robinson’s are black, that will alienate and really piss off all LOST IN SPACE purists and fans of the original show.

Ps: The 1990 S movie was ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE!

• Chase says:

Wait, there’s such a thing as a Lost In Space purist. Really? Are you of the impression that the only fans/watchers of the original show were white people?

16. John Lawton says:

The original Robinson family were Mid Western Caucasians with a probably Anglo/European descent. Anything that deviates from that and it will not be Lost In Space. To change something just to be politically correct or politically expedient is unacceptable. The road to hell is paved with political correctness.

17. Pennfield Shane says:

Your are alienating hordes of fans already and sending the reboot to a quick cancellation. PLEASE reconsider and have the ROBINSONS as white characters. Don’t change the canon. You would not reboot Cosbys/Jeffersons/Pory & Bess with whites. Don’t go PC on us. WE WILL NOT WATCH THIS SERIES if it is drastically changed! The series also must not have screaming queen Dr. Smith or psychedelic silly aliens–make it a sci fi drama with a hint of humor. You DO NOT even need Dr. Smith. I was so looking forward to this, but now, no, just no. I repeat, the Robinsons must be white. Have black guest stars or even a new character. There are great black actors and great series (Everybody Hates Chris is the best black sitcom and the long forgotten Frank’s Place was superb…too good for TV, as Miss Oprah said. Don’t destroy this series before it even starts! AND Marta Kristen is a fine actress…she was given little to do and Irwin Allen was not much of a director. I have met the entire cast of the original (except Mr. Williams) and they ALL are great people; Angela, Marta and Mark especially.

18. Well I’m excited about this! As far as them having it a mixed race couple, rather than all white, what’s the big deal? I mean this is going to be set in the future, where by then I would hope we all will have gotten past acting like there is something wrong with it! But another thing that would be nice, would be if they would have her spouse be another women, instead of a man, but I doubt that will happen! Especially since they will be lucky if people don’t boycott it for having a mixed race family, instead of all white!

I wish we didn’t have to wait so long to see it though! Too bad they hadn’t spent more time on getting it made, instead of stupid Fuller House or a few other shows they have put on there! But as someone else said on here, I would love to see Elizabeth Mitchell playing the mom, but I don’t see them picking Tony Todd for the father, since he’s a bit old for the role! But how about Idris Elba as the dad? I mean I know he’s on Luther, but, allot of actors/actresses are doing both network shows and streaming shows! Like Gillian Anderson doing The X Files, but apparently she is still doing the show The Fall, which is on Netflix, and done in the UK! I just hope they come up with some good actors and actresses to play the other roles! I don’t know much about this girl, I do know who she was on Falling Skies, but her role wasn’t big enough to give me any idea of whether she is any good or not! I guess we’ll find out sometime in 2018!lol!

19. REVERSE RACISM IS DISGUSTING JUST AS RACISM BUT NO ONE DOES ANYTHING says:

Would you like an all white “Good Times”. I already had to deal with years of Irvin Allen’s destroying the first show because of his jealousy and ego toward Mark Goddard. I wont watch this crap. If white people did this Black people would riot.

20. Galactus99 says:

Politically Correct casting. Maybe we can make Will and Dr Smith gay. The robot could be both male and female. Did I miss anything?

21. mia link says:

I am not happy about this. They are already screwing it up. Why does everything have to be politically correct? I shudder to think how the robot will look!

22. kevin kemp says:

Great to see Lost In Space series is being remade. The original version is a flawed classic. A new non camp version which has the charm of the original with all the weird and wonderful elements would be fantastic! They’ve got to have a saucer shaped spacecraft. Albeit a contemporary more sophisticated version.

23. John Perry says:

I hope they don’t make the same mistake as the movie. I am a long time fan of the show, so please have a recognizable Jupiter 2 and robot. The movie veered so off course it was no wonder they were lost in space

24. Dave Hewitt says:

Once again, another epic fail at rebooting this show.
    It is as I have said all along, the Robinsons are iconic…The show needed to be a different family in order for old and new audiences to relate. Look at the train wreck movie the Honeymooners, I think 5 people went to see it?
    I have NetFlix, I won’t watch this show, simply because it would b another disappointment.

25. Dean Sinclair-Paton says:

Can’t wait to watch it, cast looks great.