American Horror Story Ratings

Ratings: American Horror Story: Roanoke Falls Shy of Hotel Opening

Did absence (of a known premise) make the TV viewer’s heart grow fonder? Or was it “(Concept) out of sight, out of mind”?

FX’s American Horror Story: Roanoke revealed itself on Wednesday night to 5.14 million total viewers while scoring a 2.8 demo rating — down 12 percent and two tenths from the Hotel edition’s season premiere.

FX, of course famously disowned itself last November of acknowledging same-day ratings, focusing only on Live+3 DVR playback totals once they come in. And Hotel, for example, did indeed more than double its premiere numbers once delayed viewing got factored in. But as it stands now, Roanoke’s opener is the third-most watched AHS premiere to date.

TVLine readers gave the Roanoke premiere an average grade of “B-.”

1. Linda Price says:

It definitely was intriguing and scary and I will most certainly come back for more!! The mystery is it coming from the house, their land or from the entire area?

2. Dave says:

Solid numbers. Nothing on FX comes close.

3. Matt Bomer says:

Mediocre premiere, and the switching back and forth between reenactors and actual people was really distracting. Also, where were all of the other stars?!?!?

4. Hellenic78 says:

It’ll start dropping and keep doing so.

5. Dave says:

…and still be renewed.

6. ChicagoDan says:

Overnight ratings will continue to dive. So to come that close bodes really well for the series. OC, by episode 6 or 7, the season will turn into the usual hot mess pushing viewers – like me – away by the masses. After being burned by Freakshow and Hotel, I’ll wait until the whole thing is done and binge watch. That being said, I’m still glad it’s around.

7. Amelia says:

Hotel also had the draw of Lady Gaga for viewers too.

8. This is the second series I have seen that seems to have political and racial under tones. Very apparent in the opening scene with a couple walking down the street in LA and the husband who is black was sucker punched by a gang of “white guys” playing the “knock out” game. This is a game that was invented by inner city blacks to randomly select a white person and sucker punch them with the goal of knocking them out. I have yet to see a news article or video of any white “gang” members playing the knock out game on blacks or any other people of color. Next scene with Angela Basset as a drug addicted cop who gets shot raiding a drug house and the occupants again are all white. Next scene Bassett is sitting in her squad car highly medicated on opiates and begins a car chase that ends in a crash with the driver being white and a serial rapist who she shoots. These racial under tones were evident in the series The Night Of as well. The series was well done but left a lot of unresolved issues, most of the suspects in the killing of the white girl were people of color and religion. One suspect was white who was the girls step father. I had a bet with other viewers that the killer according to the cops and detectives would be a white male, I predicted this after the first episode. I knew that no way Hollywood would ever and I mean ever end this series with a Muslim or Black person killing a white woman. The blow back from BLM and the progressive politically correct libtards would go ballistic. Hollywood’s attempt at demonizing white males in order to be politically correct in order to make up for perceived social injustice is pathetic to say the least, try not to be so obvious in the future by insulting our intelligence.

• blake says:

I thought the same thing Jeff. When have you ever seen white guys doing the knock out game? And the “rednecks” looked like characters out of a bad B movie. So all it was was whitey is bad, so I turned it after that. It’s sad that even AHS has to go down the PC and diversity route rather than great TV. I miss when AHS was scary with great twists and turns. So much for Roanoke being better than Hotel. Glad I have my early seasons of AHS on DVD to watch instead.

9. Bobby says:

The first episode of season 6 was better than the entire 5th season.

10. Temperance says:

I thought it was trite and tremendously dull. The ‘re-enactment’ choice pretty much cut any ongoing tension and pulled you out of both scenes.

11. Ezra Brooks says:

White people playing the knockout game and knocking out a black guy? Absurd. What is this, a make up call for social justice? Looks like political correctness has caught up to AHS. Makes me wonder if I even need to bother watching.

• blake says:

Yeah I thought that was stupid also. Ryan Murphy had all the bad characters as white guys. I hate that AHS now just seems to worry about winning awards and critics over. PC and mega diversity is killing AHS. Jessica Lange got out at the right time. Just like Hotel I’m not going to watch AHS, I had to turn it after all of that and being bored after half an hour.