American Horror Story Season 6 Trailer Answers Another Big Question

The return of American Horror Story on Wednesday revealed that Season 6 of the anthology series would be framed as being part of an apparent documentary called My Roanoke Nightmare. What we still didn’t know was whether each episode would revolve around a different ghost story — until now.

The new trailer released following the West Coast airing of “Chapter 1” indicates that subsequent installments will continue to follow reenactors Matt (Cuba Gooding Jr.) and Shelby (Sarah Paulson) as they encounter nightmarish scenes involving human sacrifice, a bloodied Kathy Bates and an ax-wielding Denis O’Hare in rural North Carolina.

Watch the trailer above, then let us know if it makes you more or less excited for additional “chapters” of AHS Season 6.

1. Jerry says:

Yeah, no. I don’t like this framing structure, it makes me feel detached from what’s going on because it’s on a “reenactment” of what happened, so what we are watching isn’t “real”. Disappointing because I think if you took away the documentary framing it’s actually a good concept for the season.

• Ryan says:

I agree 100% I enjoyed the first episode but it takes something away knowing that the characters are all safe because the “real” people are telling the story. I am hoping there is some twist that makes it a little more exciting.

• RSB says:

AHS jumps forward into the future almost every season. Just because they’re currently safe doesn’t mean they’ll stay safe.

• Steve says:

Keep in mind that this is a show that let’s dead characters have a voice very regularly. How do we know a medium (Sarah Paulson’s character from S1/5, for example) isn’t the one interviewing these people?

• DL says:

I’ve heard a theory that in fact the interviewees are the actors, and it’s a fictional horror film inspired by true events (hence the “Inspired by true events” tag at the beginning).
        Sarah Paulson and Cuba Gooding, Jr., conversely, are the people this horror film was based on, and we’re witnessing their actual story. Their fates might not be so simple. And this conceit would also explain why all of the supposed “re-enactors” are actually older than their interviewee counterparts, when we would expect the opposite. However, if the interviewees are the actors, it makes sense why they’re more youthful.

• Kloadasd says:

I’d be willing to bet that the Lily Rabe character is actually the Actor and the Sarah Paulson/Cuba Gooding Jr side are the actual real people. They’ll switch it around. You’ll see.

2. Spence says:

As people said above, I’m sure this isn’t all of it. There’s what, 10-13 episodes? It’ll be impossible to stretch out these 3 characters for that length. I could see them eventually getting meta and having the “actors” that plays Shelby, Matt, etc in the reenactments get plagued by real horrors while filming. Or, the “real” Shelby and Matt are brought back to the farmhouse by the producers towards the end and they experience it again. Or maybe it will be revealed that the camera crew on this documentary are staging something and are devious themselves. Either way, I think this new format is something AHS needed and I’m excited by the possibilities.

3. Christine says:

I’m still confused…. Are we positive that they are the reenactors? The way I was watching it was that Sarah, Cuba and Angela were the real story and we were seeing a narration of an interview done by actors. It said at the beginning of the “show” that it was based on true events so I think it makes sense that it could be actors relaying these people’s story. Because I completely buy that it is all happening to Sarah, Cuba and Angela but I don’t believe that Lily Rabe, et al lived through it because they all seem so calm. They felt like the actors to me.

4. TheloNaGrapso says:

Not that excited about it. Will give it a couple more episodes though. Need more compelling characters though.

5. TJ says:

Has anyone else noticed that over half of the “series regulars” did not appear in this episode or the trailers including Lady Gaga and Evan Peters… I’m curious if this is going to be a mosh/posh of several different storylines…

• Gaga was not listed in the credits at the end, so her appearances will be as a guest star.
      We got glimpses of Kathy Bates (the old woman “Shelby” hit with the car), Denis O’Hare (The guy on the video tape), and Wes Bentley (One of the torchbearers in the last sequence).

• Jorf says:

The only regulars that didn’t appear last night were Evan Peters and Cheyenne Jackson

6. Matthew B Lawler says:

I was less than impressed by the premier and that trailer does little in the way of encouraging me to keep watching but I’ll give it at least one more episode before I bail on this season

7. Juke says:

I found this framing device dull and way too talky. As others have said, it’s distancing.

8. Twokeets says:

I was annoyed with the structure. My husband didn’t even realize different people were playing the same characters. I felt like I was putting so much effort into remembering who was who that the story didn’t matter. I’m really not sure about this!

9. webly3 says:

I think it was a good decision to do something different. And knowing the people behind AHS, I sincerely doubt the whole season will follow the same structure.

10. Debbie says:

I enjoyed it and had no problem following the given framework that’s been chosen this season once I realized that is what they were doing. I believe it’s called a mock-u-mentary or docu-drama. Of course it also means that you need to actually give it your full attention. It’s not meant for those who prefer short attention span theater or for those who multitask while watching. The first episode left me wanting to know more and I haven’t wanted to do that since season one. With only 10 episodes this season, I’m hoping that it doesn’t derail by throwing everything except the kitchen sink into the mix before it’s over, as has happened in the past.

11. Pretty good premiere episode. I just kept waiting to see Bill Hader and Fred Armisen pop up.

12. Joe says:

I’m confused ,,it’s not good when you have to make sense of the story line .

13. Chris says:

I honestly do not get why people are having such a hard time following the storyline, unless they are either A) Viewing the show while playing on their smart phones or B) Have a hard time following multiple ideas at once. Either way, I’m excited to see how it all plays out. Nothing confusing about it thus far – except what the twist is going to be.

14. BriDesi says:

Does anybody else notice Lady Gagas face over the shoulder of Kathy Bates in the picture featured on this article?