Supernatural Season 12 Spoilers

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Arrow, Supernatural, Bones, Once, Chicago X3, Gotham, NCIS: LA, Legends and More

Which Original Team Arrow member feels “replaced”? How angelic is Supernatural Season 12? Is Bones booked for a head trip? Are rough seas ahead for Once Upon a Time‘s #CaptainSwan? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

Any teases on where we will find Arrow‘s John Diggle, mentally and emotionally, at the start of the season? —PJ
“He’s stationed in Chechnya,” executive producer Wendy Mericle reveals. “He’s still in the military, and he’s very much a man without a state. He’s away from his family, and he’s away from the team, so he’s away from that family. He’s trying to figure out how he can get that sense of himself back after killing his brother.” Once Dig does come back to Star City, he won’t be a fan of Oliver’s ragtag new superfriends. “He’s not going to love all these little upstarts, trying to take over his role,” Mericle says. “But he’ll adjust. He’s going to find some common ground with Wild Dog, and that will help take the sting out of it.”

Will we see Castiel more this season on Supernatural? —Amy
It sure sounds like it. Showrunner Andrew Dabb told Vlada Gelman the goal for Season 12 was “to tell some stories that were a little bit more personal with Castiel, both in terms of his relationship with Sam and Dean and digging into his past a bit.” The angel will also hit it off with another Winchester. “He and Mary have a connection. It’s not a romantic one, but they have a lot in common. They’re both strangers in a strange land, in a way.” And following some very grand celestial plots, “We wanted to focus [Cas] down a bit more,” Dabb explains. “He feels responsible for Lucifer getting out of the cage, although as we’ll learn, pretty much everyone else on our show feels responsible for that, too. Obviously, as threats to Sam and Dean come up, he will be there to stand by our boys’ side.”

Any juicy Bones spoilers to dish out? —Matt
Brennan might continue with therapy next season even though her last session ended with her shrink getting arrested. According to co-showrunner Jonathan Collier, “Nothing is off the table, because some very, very, very serious, meaningful, hard-hitting things are going to happen to Brennan.”

Anything onbrooklyn-nine-nine-boyle Brooklyn Nine-Nine? —Justine
Melissa Fumero told me that although the squad’s latest captain (played by Party Down‘s Ken Marino) doesn’t die on his first day a la Bill Hader’s Dozerman, “He’s maybe not the sharpest tool in the shed.” Joe Lo Truglio meanwhile dropped this baby bombshell in my lap, after triple-checking to make sure it was OK to reveal: “Boyle has a child.” :-O

Any info on Bruce and Selina’s developing relationship on Gotham? — Catherine
Camren Bicondova says that Cat’s bond with the future Bat “is going to evolve into a more teenage relationship, instead of a middle school thing.” And hopefully as Bruce dabbles with the “playboy” persona that will one day become his false face, he can be there for Selina as she is dealt a blast from her past. “Selina gets to meet a family member that’s very dear to her heart — her mom,” says Bicondova. “And that doesn’t really go the way she expected it to.”

Do you happen to know when the Whose Line Is It Anyway? episode with Candice Patton will air? —Amma
Originally to air this week, the Flash fave’s improv outing has yet to be rescheduled.

What’s next for Once Upon a Time‘s Hook and Emma? —Allison
In the Season 6 premiere, “We pick up pretty directly from where we left them at the end of last season, where for the first time Emma professed her love without the duress of a life-or-death situation,” co-creator Adam Horowitz reminds. “Of course, life-or-death situations come pretty quickly on our show, so that will change.” As EP Eddy Kitsis in turn notes, “No relationship is a fairytale. So if people are expecting no drama, we hope that they will enjoy what we are showing.”

I’d like scoop on NCIS: LA. —Molly
Renee Felice Smith effused that in the season premiere (now airing Sunday, Sept. 25), she and Linda Hunt have “a really nice, almost ‘mother/daughter’ scene, where Nell is trying to re-inspire Hetty.” Barret Foa’s Eric, meanwhile, will be spied on the shooting range in Episode 3, polishing the skills first taught to him by Sam last season. “He’s gotten very good!” reports showrunner R. Scott Gemmill.

What is going to happen to Blindspot‘s Jane? Will she be part of the team again? —Jennifer
Given all that happened in the May finale and what she reveals in this Wednesday’s Season 2 opener — coupled with the fact that a former teammate shoots her in the back! — rejoining Weller & Co. should be a very neat trick.

Can I get anythingChicago P.D. - Season 4 about Chicago Fire‘s Sylvie Brett? —Carlynn
Will Chicago P.D.‘s Antonio be getting a storyline? —Angelica
Two questions, meet one stone. The paramedic and the detective will hit it off when they cross paths during an incident in Fire‘s Season 5 premiere. “He’s there for an informant of his who was injured,” executive producer Matt Olmstead previews. And while Antonio and Sylvie might seem like an unlikely pairing at first glance, the EP points out, “The things that initially would make you think that they should not date are things that we actually leaned into, that made sense, even though he’s older, divorced [and has] two kids. She’s looking for a real man, and he’s looking for a good woman.”

Will Chicago Med‘s April Sexton ever get a storyline? — Tobasha
Not only is the nurse getting a storyline, she’s getting a “long arc” about her recent health crisis, exec producer Diane Frolov says. In next Thursday’s Season 2 premiere, “she’s really avoiding Tate and his son because of her fear about giving TB to them even though she is latent. She has to be really convinced that she’s not contagious and can continue with her life. But as she does so, her TB ceases to be latent and becomes active.”

Loved the “Legion of Doom” pic! Any new Legends of Tomorrow scoop? —JJ
Among the JSA members that have been cast for Season 2, it turns out there are two Obsidians. When the team first meets the hero, he is played by Dan Payne (Strange Empire). The previously announced Lance Henriksen then plays a future version of the character.

I’m a big fan of BBC’s Doc Martin. Wikipedia says an American version is in development. Do you know anything? —@soundsbysteve
I asked around for you and learned that while everyone involved “really loved the project,” the U.S. adaptation ultimately didn’t come together.

Real questions, real answers. If you need the Inside Line on a favorite show, email InsideLine@tvline.com!  (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. Rachel says:

Castiel spoilers make me one happy camper.

• AnnieM says:

Me, too. It was fun watching MB-as-Cas-as-Lucifer last season (and probably fun for him to play, as well), but I’m glad to be having Cas back. :-)

• Russo says:

Same here! I am so looking forward to Cas in season 12. Bring it on!

• Mike says:

Eh, I don’t really care about Cas. I wouldn’t miss him if he had to take off to heaven and just stay there unseen the rest of the season (or series). He was good in season 4 and 5 but I’m over the angel stuff now. I’m just in this for Sam and Dean. Should be interesting to see Mary with them but again I care in how she relates to being alive again and to the boys but would rather not see them push a connection with her and Cas. The whole idea they said about them having a connection as strangers in a strange land doesn’t make sense to me given how much time over the last few years Cas has spent on Earth. The idea that they’re still playing up the clueless angel act ever just strikes me as forced. Would be interesting to see what Mary has to say about some of the times Cas has betrayed her boys and put them in more danger though…

2. Lily says:

Oh no, I have a bad feeling about the Bones spoiler and what it could possibly mean, I really hope I’m wrong.

3. Linda says:

“He and Mary have a connection. It’s not a romantic one, but they have a lot in common. They’re both strangers in a strange land, in a way.” – How can Castiel be a stranger in a strange land anymore? He’s been on Earth how long and lived as a human and even Metatron gave him all of the ‘references’ that made Castiel seem like a fish out of water. Mary on the other hand I can understand but not Castiel.

4. Katie says:

Thanks for asking about Emma & Hook – even if Adam and Eddy managed to avoid giving anything away ;).

5. Amber says:

I don’t care about any of these shows.

6. Michelle says:

Wow, Adam, that OUAT “spoiler” was a whole lot of nothing. Ah, the dead time before the premiere sucks!

7. Wordsmith says:

I would never have pictured Antonio and Brett as a possible pairing in the Chicago-verse, but now I’m really curious to see how they play it.
    At the very least, it will add an interesting dynamic to Brett’s friendship with Dawson.

8. Val says:

Look forward to Emma and Hook in season 6, individually and together. And what we get in season 6 and with them confirmed True Love.

9. On the Internet, everything is true. says:

Because Wikipedia is where all human wisdom and completely accurate information resides.

10. Lala says:

Let me be the first to say, a Q&A spoiler article with nothing on Castle is such a breathe of fresh air…usually we’d get 2 or 3 scoops on Castle just in 1 article

11. Kay says:

Brennan doesn’t need any more “very, very, very serious, meaningful, hard-hitting things” to happen to her- I really just want to see her happy and fulfilled during this last season.

• kmw says:

It is true she doesn’t need it but seeing as how Bones didn’t really give either her or Booth much to do last season I will take some tough stuff before the end. Bones was pretty light last season and Brennan hasn’t had a real story in a long time so I think its good that Brennan will have this come her way And I doubt any of this has to do with Sully( but if he ends up being the killer than Peterson and Collier didn’t look at season two very well) Really looking forward to when Bones comes back

12. Larc says:

We already have one Doc Martin. That’s excellent, IMO, but one is enough. US TV needs to come up with original ideas instead of copying others or warming over past recipes so much.

13. Liz says:

Thanks for the Diggle scoop! I like that Digg isn’t convinced about the newbies because neither am I yet!

14. Kathie says:

Eh, I really hope Mary and Cas don’t bond considering how much pain and problems Cas cause for her sons (beat Dean nearly to death, left Sam in Hell and even discouraged Dean from rescuing his baby brother, not to mention Cas is more to blame for stating the apocalypse) . Cas has done more damage than even Crowley, who is the king of the freaking hell.

• Russo says:

Well, considering ALL the boys have beaten each other, it’s seriously not an issue. And no, Cas hasn’t done more damage than Crowley or any other character on the show – they are all flawed and all wonderful. No room for hate in the SPN fam. :)

• Pat says:

I love your comment and I thank you, for this. I could not have said this, any better.

• LilyHarper says:

Agree, Russo. Sometimes I wonder what show the Cas haters are watching because it’s obviously not the same one as the rest of us.

• Mike says:

Well like many parents, a mom usually tends to be more defensive towards outside threats and hurt to their family. Plus there’s the fact that they can pay all the lip service they want to Castiel being their friend but that’s only because the show writers decided to have the boys constantly forgive and forget all the ways Cas has screwed them over. Probably because they don’t feel like dealing with the vocally annoying Cas fanbase to actually have him pay for his mistakes as many times as the boys have been forced to pay for their own.

• Kara says:

Agreed with you Kathie. Cass has made some serious mistakes, as they all have granted. The difference is he never is called out for these mistakes. Not the way Sam and Dean have been. Cass may be a fan favorite, and the show seems to treat him as such. It’s a real problem for his character.

Cass stans may be more forgiving and accepting of the whitewashing of the character’s mistakes. But for the casual viewer, the double standard is very confusing.

• ninamags says:

Completely agree, Kathie. He has been nothing but trouble and caused so much damage and heartache for the brothers.

Don’t want him anywhere near Mary.

• dean says:

The START of the apocalypse was the breaking of the first seal. Nothing that happened after could’ve if the first seal hadn’t been broken. DEAN started the apocalypse. No one else.

• Mike says:

Uh no, Deans actions started the movement towards the apocalypse but from what I recall it wasn’t until Lucifer was actually freed that the apocalypse itself was started. Information that Castiel had but kept to himself as well as other actions of his made it so the boys didn’t have all the information necessary to prevent Lucifers release as well as Cas letting Sam out to continue his way towards unknowingly breaking the last seal.

15. Rahajicho says:

“Boyle has a child!” Gina has to say these words with utter disgust before they cut to commercial.

Still waiting for Brett and Cruz to get back together.

Any word on a premiere date for Vixen season two?

16. Russo says:

I’m really looking forward to Cas in season 12 – not just with the backstory, but more of him with Dean and Sam! Especially in light of what Dean said in the last finale: “You’re the best friend we’ve ever had. You’re our brother, Cas. I want you to know that.” – Dean, Alpha and Omega, episode 11.23

He’s definitely one of my favorite characters on the show, and I’ve loved watching him evolve over the years. Team Free Will are all flawed but all so interesting and wonderful, so I’m really excited about everything we’ve heard so far.

17. Arthur says:

i am 100% here for the news about Castiel, especially what Dabb said about him standing by the Winchesters’ sides. Honestly, I’ll happily watch another 12 seasons as long as Dean, Sam, and Cas stay on the show.

18. I’m glad that the American Doc Martin series is not going anywhere. The original one is great and doesn’t need to be copied.

19. Pat says:

I like reading any news on Supernatural and I really like Castiel. As for Bones, I am hoping that since this is the last season that all the major characters would have smooth sailing storylines but it looks like they are doing something again with Temperance and I not sure where this is going, but I hope it is not something crazy. As for the return of Zach, I am not even sure why he is back and that last seen with him in the season finale this past May, was downright creepy.

20. kmw says:

Thanks for the Bones news. This tells me that the at least one of the two deaths will be related to her( the obvious guess on one is Russ) Also if Zack ended up dying as well that would be hard on her. Hopefully Booth will get her thru this tough stuff coming up. Too bad we have to wait so long

21. Lindsay says:

An American Doc Martin? That would have been horrible

22. dave says:

Mary and Castiel do have much in common. Like the love of someone named DEAN!!

23. heather says:

Probably something to do with Max and her search for family, so to speak, that’s a main narrative for her this season apparently. Whilst Booth’s is his cosmic balance sheet, introduced in the Pilot

• heather says:

*Bones, Brennan

• kmw says:

Brennan wouldn’t need a shrink about Max now, however if Zack, someone she mentored and Russ her brother she ignored while in her 20’s( and really has ignored for last eight nine seasons) but a brother she looked up to, if both those people died that would be pretty heavy stuff and more believable for her to actually see a psychologist ( which was only implied by Peterson as saying nothings off the table) than anything with her dad, but then again they are bringing back Sully who she also hasn’t mentioned since even before Russ was last on so who knows. At least in seems like they are serious about stories for both of them( Booth has a sniper story and something else coming up with Hal Holbrook, not to mention hopefully supporting Brennan thru her difficulties) I am really looking forward to Bones coming back even if for only 12 episodes

• heather says:

Like you said Peterson didn’t actually say shrink , I was just going by what he said “very, very, very serious, meaningful, hard-hitting things ” for Brennan…. i.e. if Max got sick or worse, that would hit her hard. Or maybe something from her foster care past.

Yes, let’s hope we see Booth supporting Brennan and even better that Brennan actually accepts his support, instead of turning him away like she did S11 finale, I am still salty how cold, IMO, Peterson wrote B&B in that ep, guess he can rectify that in the S12 premier, fingers crossed

• kmw says:

Yes I didn’t like that either but since Emily is directing the premiere maybe that made up anger Peterson put in there will be gone. Her foster care thing would be good but I don’t think they are going there. I wish they had more than 12 episodes but then again if they had more than that we would get too many Aubry filler episodes which we don’t need. I still think her issues will be with Zack and Russ, but who knows. The wait is still too long

24. arial2 says:

I would love to see Stephen Fry return as “Gordon Gordon,” former psychiatrist-turned-chef, but SF is in the cast of a new CBS series, so I doubt that will happen. His character was the most fun psychiatrist I’ve ever seen!

25. JenE says:

I don’t mind Hook and Emma facing conflict and drama as long as they do it together. Happily every after is kind of boring so that’s why I don’t want them to get married until the last episode. But I do need them to fight the battles they have to fight together. Them against the world. The cycle of breaking up and making up would get old quickly. Love those two together. Best thing about the show.

• NickyHelp says:

And yet the ratings last season got low and lost GA views because of that shipping. That proved it was not the best thing of the show.

26. Finn Wittrock says:

No one but you cares about Bones and Fill In The Blank medical/legal dramas. Where’s the love (i.e., coverage) of Scream Queens and American Horror Story?!?!

• Lily says:

And you speak for everyone?, NOT!

• heather says:

Making blanket statements & being petulant by saying “no one cares but you” is really going to get you your favorite shows featured, also the shows you mention actually get featured articles dedicated to them….did you actually send in a question!? That usually helps.

Your welcome.

• Finn Wittrock says:

Oh, thank you, I’m so sorry, Heather. I must have missed the memo that requires a person to be a sardonic, condescending C U Next Tuesday in order to have his/her show mentioned. I’ll try better to emulate you. YOU’RE welcome.

How was that, Heths?

• kmw says:

I beg to differ there are plenty of people who care about Bones, and the people who care about Bones have the right to talk about their show when it is mentioned. Your shows have got plenty of mentions here and elsewhere and unlike MY show your shows are either back on the air or about to be. Bones fans have to wait till at least Jan for our show so any mention about whats coming up for Bones is always welcome even if you don’t care.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Sorry, did you send in a question I missed, “Finn”…?

27. Agent 86 says:

Will Obsidian on Legends of Tomorrow be openly gay? Of course, as a minor character, it would be more refreshing to see a regular / recurring character be portrayed as an openly gay male.

Will season 12 of Supernatural be the season in which they finally allow Castiel and Dean to openly express their romantic love for one another? Castiel can now ask Dean’s mum’s permission to marry Dean, so that is a starting point for evolving their relationship in an open manner.

• Keep dreaming Cas and Dean are not getting married!!

• ninamags says:

Are you a 10-year old girl??

That’s the only way to explain your absolutely ridiculous, deluded, insane, pathetic, desperate comment.

Maybe I shouldn’t insult 10-year old girls in this manner.

BTW, did you see Jensen’s reaction to that sort of same question during this past weekends convention? His disgust was clearly evident.

28. Omg thankyou for answering my question about Castiel!!

29. GraceM says:

There sort of kind of was an American version of Doc Martin. His name was Gregory House. :o)

30. I’m sorry but Brennan is just not allowed to have a shrink that isn’t Sweets. I can’t handle it.

• kmw says:

I wouldn’t worry too much I doubt she will go see another one. Hopefully Booth will be the one to get her thru her tough stretch not anyone else

31. Lily says:

Big fan of both Chicago PD and Fire. Excited to see how the relationship between Antonio and Brett develops! Also excited for more Dawson sibling scenes.

32. Priya says:

So happy that Castiel is going to be in a more prominent role this season. I’m even more excited for season 12 now!

33. Mary says:

I hope Dabb is joking about Castiel.

None of the three Winchesters should have anything more to do with him.

It was his fault that Azazel caught Mary’s scent back in 1973. He was the one who sent Dean back.

He let Sam out of the panic room on purpose to have him free Lucifer, not to mention breaking his wall.

He’s also beaten poor Dean to within an inch of his life more than once, plus all the other nefarious acts he’s committed towards his fellow angels like when he killed his bosom buddy Balthazar.

The Winchesters should consider him an arch- enemy, certainly not a friend.

• Ninamags says:

Yup. Spot on Mary.

• Faustina says:

#1 What sort of logic is that? Mary was already dead, Azazel already got to her. Castiel sending Dean back was only to show him that you can’t change the past no matter what. It would’ve happened one way or another.
      #2 He was under Heaven’s orders. And Sam was the one who walked out of the room, Sam was the one who knocked Bobby out himself before getting away to be with Ruby, and when Dean got to him, Sam kicked his ass too. Everybody played their part.
      #3 The three instances he beat Dean up; Dean was going to be Michael’s meatsuit. Naomi had him brainwashed. Rowena put an attack dog spell on him.
      Dean did the same to him, nearly killed him, even, while under the influence of the Mark of Cain. He felt so guilty about that he refused Cas to heal him after Cas beat him up.
      #4 Angels are dicks. Balthazar was, at best, an opportunist.

The fact that any of this had to be explained to you is mind-boggling. Oh wait, have you been watching through Castiel-hater glasses? That explains it. Nevermind.

Cheers!

• Mike says:

Well clearly you’ve been watching under Castiel apologist glasses. Not any better IMO. Oh of course none of that was his fault, he’s a perfect “Angel” who can do no harm because he’s either really sorry, the boys have made mistakes too, or someone else told him to. THIS is why the writers take the lazy way out and never have Castiel answer for his mistakes because the Castiel apologists will take to Twitter screaming up a storm if he actually pays for things he’s done and they don’t feel like dealing with screeching women blasting up their social media accounts anymore than they already do.

• dean says:

Calm down, mom.

34. Ella says:

Romantic?! No. Please. I’m really looking forward to Castiel’s dynamic with Mary but that just sounds way too squicky given how prevalent Destiel is in this show.

35. D. says:

The Doc Martin series was on PBS a year or two ago.

36. That is a great series with great actors, but do you know who else are cool? Root and Shaw are incredible characters and they totally deserve their own show! It’d be so nice to watch a Person of Interest spin-off with Amy Acker and Sarah Shahi.