Post Mortems
Suits Gina Torres Leaving

Suits Boss on [Spoiler]'s Exit, Mike's Job Future, That Final 'Darvey' Scene

Warning: The following contains spoilers for Wednesday’s finale of Suits

Farewell, Pearson Specter Litt.

During Wednesday’s midseason finale of Suits, one character said goodbye to the firm — and the show!

After successfully defending death-row inmate Leonard Bailey, Jessica (Gina Torres) remembered what it was that drove her to become a lawyer in the first place: her desire to help people. With that realization weighing on her, she decided to leave the corporate business she helped build… and move to Chicago with ex Malone!

While Torres will no longer be a series regular after five-and-a-half seasons on the USA Network drama, executive producer Aaron Korsh is hopeful that she will return in a guest-star capacity.

Suits Gina Torres Leaving“I don’t think it is the last we’ll see of Jessica,” he says, adding, “If it were up to me, I would never say goodbye to Jessica until the end of the show.”

As for the character’s choice to pack up and start a new chapter in her life, “I wanted [Jessica] to leave on her own terms, and I feel like that’s what [she] did,” Korsh explains. “I think that’s the only way she would leave.”

Below, Korsh details what led to Torres’ departure and reveals the killer ending he almost went with for her swan song. The EP also talks about Mike’s professional outlook, Harvey and Donna’s “intimate” moment, and Pearson Specter Litt’s future without its big boss.

TVLINE | Why say goodbye to Jessica now?
Gina, towards the beginning of Season 5, had come to me and expressed a desire to be back in Los Angeles for personal reasons. We’re a family, on-screen and off, and when somebody needs something like that, we try to do our best to make it happen. So we discussed a little bit of a long-term game plan to allow her to move back there year-round and to have a better life. That’s what drove it. There was no creative [directive like], “We’ve got to get rid of Jessica.” I would have her on the show forever, and she had expressed to me that if the show was shot in Los Angeles, she would have stayed on it as long as it went. [UPDATE: Torres has joined ABC’s The Catch.]

TVLINE | The way in which Jessica leaves the show is very personal, and it’s very much about the heart of she is as a person. Why was it important to you to write her exit in that way, rather than her going out in some sort of power struggle?
Suits Gina Torres LeavingWhen a character like Jessica is going to leave the show, to me, it’s got to be by her own choice, unless we’re just going to destroy the firm. For her to choose to leave this world, something’s got to happen to make that happen… If you go back to [Episode] 601, she has that scene with Louis [where she says], “The ship’s sunk. Do I have it in me to pull it back up from the bottom of the ocean?” She has that intimate scene with Rachel about what it’s like to be a woman in power. It’s the first inklings of, is Jessica just tired of being the one to put this firm on her shoulders? Is that weariness starting to sink in? She’s changed. She’s on board with striking a deal to let Mike out. She’s just more human.

Her humanity is… I wouldn’t say “coming back” because it never left her, but it’s asserting itself as a larger percentage in her personality throughout the course of the year. She does and says things that she maybe wouldn’t have done or said before. This even goes back to a year or two ago when Rachel goes to Jessica and asks her if she should sign a prenup, and Jessica says, “Don’t sign a prenup if you think it’s going to hurt your relationship.” That’s not something Jessica in Seasons 1, 2 and 3 would have said. But she said it based on her relationship with Malone.

But the twist I had planned was that father that accosted Rachel and tried to get rid of that witness was going to approach her and go crazy and kill [Jessica]. I wasn’t going to have us see that, but I was going to have us hear that off-screen. For a number of reasons, we ended up not going that way…. Ultimately, the network was not on board with that. They might have changed their mind, but I didn’t have it in me to engage in that struggle, so I just thought, “Let’s give a happy ending,” and I think it worked out pretty well.

Suits Gina Torres LeavingTVLINE | How will the rest of the characters in the firm handle her departure?
Obviously, she’s such a titanic figure within the firm, and in both Harvey and Louis’ life. But she’s more of a mother/mentor figure to [Harvey] than to Louis. So it’s really going to affect him. There’s a power vacuum. They’re going to have to figure out how to deal with it. What we’re trying to do is have them react in some ways exactly as you would expect them to react, and in other ways surprise you a little bit.

TVLINE | Jessica has left Harvey and Louis with the keys to the kingdom and without a third-party mediator. Is that going to cause trouble between the two men?
There’s definitely going to be conflict there. But it ends up, hopefully, landing in a direction that is a little bit surprising. On both their behalf, as I said, there is some reaction that is as you would expect it, but then there’s a small twist to that, and it leads to another chapter at the end of [Episode] 611.

Suits RecapTVLINE | Mike wasn’t quick to jump on Harvey’s offer to become a consultant for the firm. What is his mindset about his future in the back six?
When he gave the speech to the jury in Episode 515, I think, [he said] he was given a gift and he wasted it, and he was ashamed of himself. He meant that. What’s going on in his mind is he’s gotten out of prison early and he didn’t maybe pay his full dues for the crime that he committed. And even if he didn’t have guilt over it, he wants to do good in the world. Being a corporate lawyer isn’t his idea of doing good. So he’s going to struggle with that. On the other hand, he’s a felon. So it’s not like people are going to be opening up their doors to let him do good and to trust him necessarily… Then he gets caught up in watching Rachel and trying to help Leonard Bailey and that case, and once that’s over, that’s when he says to Rachel, “Harvey offered me a job.” [In the next episode], he’s got to decide, is he going to [accept the position] or is he not going to do it, and what consequences is that going to have on his life and Harvey’s life?

Suits RecapTVLINE | The last scene of a finale is important because it’s the note you leave the story off on. What did you want to convey in that final image of Harvey and Donna standing there, holding hands and looking at an uncertain future?
Sometimes, I like to give food for thought. What I wanted to convey… [Laughs] Each individual fan is going to think what they think, regardless of what I wanted. So I don’t know if I even think about it in those terms. But to me, at its core, Harvey had a very significant person in his life leave. He actually took it pretty well in the moment that it happened. Ironically, Louis was the one who was pissed, and Harvey understood that Jessica needed to do what she needed to do. But then as that sinks in, he’s going to have different things happen to him. One of the most significant people in his life, obviously, catches him in this moment of, I guess, emotional vulnerability, and they just have a very tender moment. She’s there for him in his initial stages of mourning Jessica’s loss, and it’s a lot of character growth for Harvey to let her be there for him, to hold his hand and connect. To me, it was an intimate moment between Harvey and Donna. It remains to be seen what it will lead to in the future, but in that moment, it was her being there for him in a vulnerable time and deepening their intimacy with each other.

Suits fans, what did you think of the season ender? Grade it via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your pick!

1. Dave says:

I suspected she’ll leave with her boyfriend when he came back 2 weeks ago but I thought it’ll be at end of the year. Obviously in the season finale (next 6 ep there will be a time jump) mock my words lol I said this on 9/14

2. Ralph says:

Farewell the the fabulous Gina Torres & Jessica Pearson. What a great character. She will be missed

3. Ange says:

Best kept secret. I’m happy for Gina

4. Ricky23 says:

First off all I am so glad that the finale doesn’t end on Mike and his secret. Secondly that was brilliant writing and acting by the writers and cast. If memory serves Gina has a new show show that would have prevented her from being apart of the show long term but I really hope when it comes to the series finale that she will be back for a couple of episodes. The show will just be missing a huge part of it.

About Harvey and Donna holding hands – I really hope because Abigail Spencer has a new show starting that they probably won’t be able to get her back for the winter episode and they are maybe moving towards putting the 2 of them together. I still think of Donna as Harvey’s Monneypenny. I’d rather see him with Scottie. If truth be known I think I’m the best match for Harvey….a girl can dream!!!

5. Beverly Murray says:

I really liked Jessica…I liked her wisdom and power. She is going to be missed. I can only hope she comes back some day.

6. flinsman says:

Does anyone know the name and artist of the song at the end?

7. Darlene says:

Great character, excellently played! We’ll miss Jessica but wish the best for Ms Torres.

8. Senén says:

I don’t understand why the writers didn’t write that Gina Torres was moving to LA instead of Chicago. The truth would have been better and a nice salute to Gina Torres

9. Lindsey says:

I respect Gina’s decision to leave but I do hope she comes back for the 100th.

10. jay says:

love the show

11. drhenning says:

No mention of Louis and his love… I wonder who’ll get married first.. Mike or Louis??

• Vlada Gelman says:

You should send that question into Ask Ausiello or Matt’s Inside Line. :)

• Ricky23 says:

Aaron Korsh implied that he doesn’t know yet and will let the rest of the storyline take front and center and let that happen secondarily to the rest of the story. My money’s on Mike and Rachel!!

• MMD says:

I think it will be Louis mainly because he has no patience AT ALL along with the pregnancy angle. As to whether Tara will want to marry before the baby arrives or after is a totally different story.After all, they haven’t been together that long.

I think that Mike and Rachel will want to figure out their future (especially Mike) before the wedding just like he didn’t want to get married when he was going to prison.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

• Vlada, do you know if they have filmed the final 6 eps of this season yet? Just curious as to how they break down and shoot these split seasons. Thanks in advance!

12. Daniel snow says:

I only watched the show for Jessica. Louis later grew on me because he was that narcissistic comedy act character. But I was there for Jessica and now that she’s gone. I don’t have a direct reason to watch it anymore

13. As soon as you saw that flashback, you knew she was leaving.

14. Eric says:

I love Jessica, style and class. Hopefully we’ll see more of Gretchen.

15. Good for Jessica. Next season will be old-school Louis/Harvey Odd Coupling. I’m really gonna miss Stu and Kevin- I was hoping Mike would take a job with Stu and stay at the firm forever.

Or Mike is gonna go back to law school with Rachel

Love this show.

16. Candy Gureskyr says:

I loved her character, her demeanor, everything about her. A woman can be powerful, strong and a leader without losing her femininity and be respected for what she stands for. Love the show and am going to miss her on the show. Hope she comes back for several guest appearances.

17. Yvette Elyse says:

I will deeply miss Gina’s character!!! I’m really sad. I can’t believe she is gone. I can’t imagine how stability will be maintained within the firm, without her character. I was totally blindsided. I’m sure you’ve got that all worked out though. But I’m clueless, as to how you’ll pull it off.

I guess I’ll say that the episode was written well. I actually rated it very good however, I hate that Jessica is gone! So, as you can see, I couldn’t rate it higher than what I did. So very sad, indeed. I feel like my friend moved away.

Please know that, I’m not confused about reality. I’ve just enjoyed the storyline these past few seasons and I most enjoy the dramatic twists and turns of the plots.

Hopefully, the writers will have some good stuff coming down the pipeline soon.

I really like this series and if it was up to me, it could as long as Gunsmoke did!

18. Adam says:

I hope they leave the firms name as ‘Pearson-Spector-Litt’. When people ask who is Pearson in the future, they’ll be like the baddest bitch you’ll ever meet.

19. Samem Haidary says:

best episode ever. Thank god they didnt go along killing Jessica or else my friends and I wouldn’t have bothered watching the rest of suits. Horrible idea. Keep it happy endings, made me the happiest person in the world watching that amazing episode.

• Mel says:

Oh goodness you took the words right out of my head. As I was reading the article I was like thank God the Network was smart enough to not let them kill her off – even if it was off air cause I would have had a fit if they had said Jessica was murdered in a later episode. Now I am sad to see the character go but I am so happy Jessica got a happy ending! And the added bonus of not killing a beloved character is that you don’t alienate the fans of the character and you can always bring the character back… Now I can look forward to Gina guest staring in the future and seeing the wonderful Jessica Pearson on Suits again -even if I have to wait for the series finale!

20. Hamilton says:

Gina Torres will be missed Greatly. S he really was a large reason I was such a fan and i sincerely hope she returns.As much as I love “Suits I just can not imagine the show with out her,Come Back Gina

21. Mark says:

I’m very sorry to see Gina leave and take Jessica with her, but I am very much on board with why she is leaving. The show just won’t be the same without her.

Still, this was a fabulous episode and a fabulous send off for her character.

22. PatriciaLee says:

For me 1/2 of the show was Jessica, 1/4 Louis, then 1/4 Harvey, Mike, et. al. I’m torn between feeling bummed out she’s leaving, and glad someone finally gets together in a happy way with a future ahead, in any series. There’s been a long, dry spell here in blue sky land.

• Teri says:

I totally agree…maybe Mike’s fiancée dad will get a bigger role..he is kinda badass..I wanted him and Jessica to be a love interest…but, his character is married.

23. LHP says:

I am going to miss Jessica Pearson!

24. Jessica’s leaving? NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo…!

25. Gregory Hall says:

Season finale left a lot to the imagination of personal and professional futures for everyone. It almost could end on that note, though I hope not, but it set a platform for a new start and growth for everyone in the series. The offer from Robert Zane was epic. Looking forward to seeing what comes next time.

26. Cory says:

Did anyone else notice at the end when they toasted it was to ‘Pearson, Spectre’ without ‘Litt’ even though Louis was standing with them?

27. jack says:

love this show!!!!!

28. amy says:

… he originally wanted to kill jessica… off screen. that’s frankly disgraceful. shame on him. the show won’t be the same for me, i almost hope season seven is their last, before they truly start to lose their way.

29. Steve says:

Won’t miss her at all…Maybe the GD’s will subside in the script as well.

30. Imzadi says:

Thank God she left on a happy note. She will be missed, she was such an awesome character.

31. MMD says:

While I am so sorry to see the character of Jessica Pearson leave, I’m pleased for Gina Torres. I am so glad that the writers were talked out of killing the character and that the door is always open.

A lot of changes have taken place this season and the back 6 episodes will either make or break the series because there are so many directions that the characters can go and we have already seen a lot of character growth from each one. Can you imagine Harvey and Louis working together for the good of the firm on their own prior to this year without Jessica telling them exactly what to do? Could you imagine Louis not only proposing so quickly but so in love that he truly wants to bring up another man’s child? Even Harvey has become much more mature over the years as has Mike.

This is my favourite summer show and I’m so anxious to see how it all plays out. Even though they are not attorneys, Donna and Gretchen are fully capable of keeping Harvey and Louis on the straight and narrow. I just hope that TPTB keep this the smart show that it is.

• MMD says:

The more i’ve thought about it today the more I am going to miss Jessica. She was the glue that held the firm together and always in a classy way no matter the chaos. I truly respect Gina Torres though for putting family over her job and I’m glad she will be appearing in something that tapes close to home.

32. sarah t says:

I loved Gina Torres on Suits and I think her exit was handled very well. This leaves the door open in case she wants to come back for a couple of episodes. Suits always continues to surprise me and I like that. I still think this show has some of the best writing and is creatively strong given that we’re 6 seasons in.

33. Joey Padron says:

Great interview with Aaron. Summer finale episode was really good. Gonna miss Jessica on the show. Gina did a great job playing her even in this episode. Glad Jessica got back together with Jeff. Happy she and Rachel won the case and got Leonard freed. Glad Mike got a job offer at the firm. It will be interesting to see how Harvey and Louis will run the firm without Jessica. Love the moment of Harvey and Donna holding hands at the end. Can’t wait for new episodes in January!

34. David says:

I’m so sad she’s leaving. Gina has delivered a truly aspirational character as Jessica Pearson. The diversity of this cast is one of the great things I appreciate about Suits and placing a fiercely intelligent, strong woman of color at the top of power dynamic has been well needed in television. Gina delivered in every way and I wish her tremendously well but I will miss her on Suits as Jessica, I was hoping she might develop the female counterpart dynamic with Rachel that Harvey has with Mike. That would have been so much fun. Cheers Gina.

35. Doug Brotherton says:

I truly wish we could get a longer run of episodes of one of the best dramas on tv!

36. Carol says:

I love the writing, acting and drama of this show. I have not missed an episode. Always on the edge of my seat. Its brilliant how you portray what goes on behind the scenes in the corporate law world. I loved this finale because it ended on a happy note. I couldn’t have taken much more of the back and forth, which says a lot for the acting, etc. Also, I love the poise and style of the women – especially Jessica. Thank you for one of the best shows on tv.

37. Ive never seen a showrunner run from a pairing as fast as AK. For years he has dangled the Donna and Harvey carrot with very little intention IMO to actually go there with these two. I might come back later. Suits: Prison Break wasnt quite my thing and I didnt really enjoy this run. Will miss Jessica though

38. Luther says:

She can’t be replaced, you did a great job making her a great boss and a better woman by the way she leaf. Now I can’t wait to see the new beginning!

39. Rina Steyn says:

I am totally in love with Suits and all its characters.

40. HAP says:

I believe that a secret to the success of the show has been that Korsh hired some very intelligent and accomplished women. Gonna miss Gina.

41. Diane says:

Really sorry to see Jessica leave. Happy that she is finally finding love in her life. Maybe she will come back sometime. As for Harvey, he is in love with Donna and Donna is in love with Harvey. Why don’t they just get together. Now as far as Mike and Rachel. I think that Mike shoud take Harvey up on his offer and help them rebuild their law firm. Mike and Rachel should also get married. They make such a cute couple. Now for Louis. He has finally found the love of his life and really doesn’t care that she is carrying someone else’s baby. When this baby is born, Louis and his love will make the most fantastic parents ever.

Wish Jessica much happiness in her newest endeavor.

Love the show and haven’t missed one episode since it started. Can’t wait until it comes back on again. Love all the people on the show.

42. Trevor says:

Can’t believe Jessica is no more. Who is going to tell Louis to “get out” or he’ll get thrown off the roof….
    This is a shame…

Ah well time for me to move on…

43. chupa-mo pau says:

I’ve just seen the last episode and it was ok, not great, but pleasant to watch. Why was the show shortened to 10 episodes on this season? All the previous ones had 16 episodes…
    is there a reason for that?

44. Aroon says:

PLEASE COME BACK JESSICA.

45. C.Dunham says:

I have a strong love for the show and it sadden’s me to know that jessica is leaving for now , I really hope she will come back on guest appearances because she brings a strong character to a show that normally would focus more on the males as being the dominant force behind a law firm. So kudos to her character, but I must admit I am a fan of the whole show it self I love all the characters and what they bring to the table for entertainment. And I hope to continue to keep seeing suits in the future to come.

46. Margie says:

Suits is a magnificent series. I hated to see Gina Torres leave the show but it will be interesting to see what string of events takes place season 7. I think the one big thing i would love to see is Mike become the lawyer that he should be and for Harvey and Louis to come together and fight for Mikes right to do this. Then he becomes the partner with his name on the wall. Yeah i know somehow an impossible event but a girl can dream can’t she. Hahahaha. Looking forward to next season. Pump it 🆙! So long Gina you will be missed.

47. C.D70 says:

48. KevinD says:

I was hoping for a bit of a twist with the Leonard Bailey case. I wanted him to be exonerated and then for him to secretly tell Rachel that he was guilty all along and that he in fact did commit those murders.

49. Mark says:

Love this show…very well written….