Naya Rivera Lea Michele Feud

Naya Rivera on Her Rumored Feud With Glee Co-Star Lea Michele: It Was Real, But Also 'Blown Out of Proportion'

If Ryan Murphy needs some inspiration for Feud Season 2, he could always pick Naya Rivera‘s brain — or just read her book.

In Sorry Not Sorry: Dreams, Mistakes and Growing Up, the former Glee actress details the truth — her side of it, anyway — about her rumored feud with co-star Lea Michele.

Though she insists that rumors of the feud were “blown out of proportion,” she acknowledges that things would often get “heated” on set, especially as Santana became a more prominent character, and claims that Michele “had a hard time separating work from [their] outside friendship.”

“If I’d complained about anyone or anything, she’d assumed I was bitching about her,” Rivera writes. “Soon, she started to ignore me, and eventually it got to the point where she didn’t say a word to me for all of Season 6. Lea and I definitely weren’t the best of friends, and I doubt we’ll ever sit on her couch and eat kale together again.”

Rivera says that one of the Glee writers once described her and Michele as being “two sides of the same battery,” before admitting that it wasn’t a “good mixture.”

Perhaps this line best sums up Rivera’s thoughts on the matter: “I think Rachel—erm, I mean Lea—didn’t like sharing the spotlight.”

Will you be picking up Rivera’s book for more of her behind-the-scenes confessions? Drop a comment below and let us know.

1. Brian says:

Not going to buy the book, but I do root for Naya. She really was good on Glee.

2. Lauren says:

I’m sure Naya wasn’t innocent here, either.

• peterwdawson says:

Probably not. Find me an actor whose ego didn’t swell at least a bit when they became more prominent on a TV show they were originally less of a character on and I’ll probably call you a liar.

3. Morgan says:

Brilliant!

4. 'A' Got a Secret says:

I hope season two of Feud has Naya-Lea feud storyline & Naya playing Lea & vice versa. Now that would be interesting, lol

5. Leo Berry says:

If anyone is the diva it’s Naya who’s going public with this

6. Missy Kelly says:

I’d rather watch her work than read or listen to her bithc. She is very talented and I feel bad that she felt she needed to do this rather than act, sing, or be a daytime tv talk show host. She would have been very good on The View.

7. BlittleU says:

I think Naya is a very gifted actress, with a penchant for self-sabotage. I was hoping she would land on a TV series that could utilize her numerous talents, but after this I doubt many producers/Networks will clamor to hire someone with a history of writing about what goes on behind the scenes to further their own career. I may be wrong but I think the only job this will lead to is a trashy reality series, if she’s lucky. What a waste.

• Chrissy says:

Exactly she along with with Cory, Lea and Chris (who were the “kid” leads) was one of the strongest actors and I loved her character and was looking forward to see her in what she did next. However It seems to me like she is the one who had problems with separating reality from fiction and couldn’t handle that Lea was the female lead was her (at one point she even goes Rachel i mean Lea when talking about her). I also doesn’t make sense when almost everyone else praises Lea for her professionalism and she is friend with people from her Broadway days,along with the fact that she still is working with the same producers and crew now at screem queens which wouldn’t happen if she was bad to work with. It looks like a serious case of rewriting history to make herself look better.i mean one is in a successful tv show while the other is talking bad about her former costar to sell books plus this drama was going on when Lea was going through the hardest time of her life loosing her boyfriend/costar/male lead , while still working at the place they met and fell in love

• Sandy Duncan's Eye on Network TV says:

Lea is a notorious brat going back to her broadway days and continuing now on Scream Queens and has been said to be bullying Abigail Breslin as she did Naya. Difference is that Naya fought back..probably to her own detriment.

• Clara says:

Finally someone not praising Lea, I know I had heard of her being as you said a brat, on Scream Queens, just did know all of what had happened! She seems like someone who likes to get all the attention! And it seemed like to me, she milked the death of Cory for all she could get out of it! Even though I had heard they had broke up before he died! Sure she may have gotten upset, but, I think she mostly saw his death as a way to get attention for herself!

• kimberly says:

Um, no. Lea has been notorious for being a diva among those she’s worked with on Broadway, she’s behaved like no less than a bully with her current scream queen co stars, and when you watch her in interviews, her self-aggrandizing is evident every time.

8. Jaime says:

In my opinion, both of them are extremely talented, but the truth is out of the two of them; one of them knows how to kiss a** and keep her mouth shut and the other doesn’t. Another truth .. I can’t stand either one of them.

9. Lois says:

I did always feel like it was being blown out of proportion, when you have a cast that big there’s no way everyone’s going to get along. And I do feel like their personalities probably just don’t mesh very well together. Lea was the female lead, and she is a bit of a diva, but if Naya was ‘complaining about someone’ and they didn’t get along very well, Lea was obviously going to think it was about her, it sounds like she did what anyone would do in the end, remove herself from a friendship that wasn’t working. Lea works perfectly well with a lot of other people, this just sounds like a personality clash.

• Kay says:

I agree with you. It’s okay to have personalities that just don’t mix, it doesn’t have to be some kind of scandal. From this account, it seems like it was nothing more than mutual dislike. I think it probably happens a lot more than we hear about. Naya was great, but Lea was the actual heart and soul of that show.

10. Ronnie says:

According to a friend who worked on the show, Lea was being a Diva, and Naya called her out on her behavior. It got to the point that Naya would not go to set unless Lea was on her way, and vice-Versace because neither was going to be sitting on the set waiting for the other. Also Lea isolated herself from the other cast members and wasn’t very socail during the final season. Haven’t heard any stories from Scream Queens but I’m guessing she knows that Jamie Lee would not put up with any of that BS.

• Larc says:

I think Lea was a total self-centered diva. Not only with Glee, but in overplaying her “Widder Monteith” role to the hilt as well.

• Lauren says:

“Lea isolated herself from the other cast members and wasn’t very socail during the final season.”………… maybe because her boyfriend and co-star died and she wasn’t feeling very glee-ful on set anymore?

• Um says:

She was dating someone else during the last two seasons (and nothing wrong with that). Stop painting her as some grieving widow. She moved on.

11. iakovos says:

Not sure why this book is so important. GLEE was a promising show and featured very talented people. It reawakened us to the joys of singing and performing but… the stories became so odd and over the top. It made the real emotion seem less than sincere. A few of the cast seem to finding solid foothold but others?

12. SWE says:

Her truth seem to always put the blame for her mistakes on others.

13. CK says:

Usually, these things split down the middle with both of them being in the wrong. I could totally believe Lea feeling threatened with Naya’s growing popularity and I could also totally believe Naya not having the best reaction to that. Santana did go from a side character to a main one rather quickly and changes to the established order (lead character being sidelined) always cause tension. It happens.

• Janice says:

That would make sense if Rachel was ever sidelined, and from the excessive complaints of too much Rachel that abounded, that certainly never happened. Naya seems arrogant and self-obsessed. She seems to really want to paint herself the hero victim and instead comes off very, very poorly.

14. Jared says:

The most awkward thing about Glee is that most of the cast hasn’t been seen on much since that finale. As big of a show as it was and as talented as they were that really surprises me. I think towards the end with Corys passing and the show going downhill quick, nobody in the cast really cared about the show anymore.

• Angel says:

You are right about most of the cast not being seen in much since the finale, doesn’t mean that they don’t do anything. Chris Colfer is a children’s author and turned his talents to his writing since the show, Darren Cris has gone on to doing Broadway, I believe a couple other cast members did the same. Lea has been the only one who stayed with television so far, though the girl who played Marley the fifth season is currently playing super girl.

• Stacy says:

Harry Shum Jr. is playing a gay wizard on a terrible show based on a book my kid liked about gorgeous teenagers who fight vampires. Or something. Yay Harry?

15. Tony says:

I’m not.picking sides in this as i’m sure both had their part in any bad blood that was/is there. I will say its a shame what Ryan Murphy allowed that show to become or more accurately, what he turned it into. I don’t care how Rachel and Finn fans feel, the show should have never been centered around them. While there were other issues, I feel like the insistence in keeping those two front and center at the expense of others really hurt the show. More so Rachel (especially at the end for obvious reasons).

16. I really liked Naya, until now. Sour Grapes anyone? Lea has a career that is still taking off, and as this book is released, I don’t think Naya is doing much of anything. The best revenge is always happiness and success!

17. Claire says:

Isn’t she a little young for a tell-all? That’s the kind of thing you save for when you’re older and getting less work anyway.

18. elsa says:

Naya called Cory a close friend yet completely bashed Lea, his girlfriend, in her book. This is no way at all to remember or honor your “friend”.

19. Lynnee says:

Naya, Zendaya please go away

20. Angus says:

Of all the actors on GLEE the one I disliked the most was Michelle. I just could get into her portrayal of the character. Naya was good, Cory was great. The one I missed the most, and was the reason I quit watching glee, was Diana Agron.

21. Viv says:

Good for you, Naya! Screw the patronizing naysayers who have no clue how a television production operates. It’s healthy and inspiring to share with people (uhm, the truth??) your experience on one show. I really hope there are many, many more to follow! (please don’t do reality tv…. please don’t do reality tv…. please don’t do reality tv….)

22. Santana says:

I don’t believe Lea Michele is that innocent as all of you are making her sound, she is probably still working with the same producer because she knows how to kiss his Ass, she also had a “feud” with Ariana Grande in Scream Queens, because she was the biggest “star” and she is very talented, but I guess she needs to be on the spotlight 24/7, I’m not defending Naya but she is free to give her opinion on something no one wanted to talk about, and I’m happy she opened herself about all the drama instead of keeping us wondering. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it.