Late-Night TV Needs to Get (a Bit) Serious and Drop Inane Guest Stunts

This op-ed first started taking shape, in my noggin at least, when Tonight Show host Jimmy Fallon all but equated Donald Glover with a petite 16-year-old girl by having the Atlanta auteur participate in a life-size game of “Hungry, Hungry Hippos” alongside the U.S. Olympic gymnastics team (whose physicality made sense in the context of the arduous exercise).

But I held back.

Then, someone on James Corden’s team deemed it irresistibly hysterical for the Late Late Show host to sing the first line of a song over and over (and over) again, with recording artist Josh Groban.

Again, I held back. Because surely the late-night TV hosts were just doing best they could during these final dog days of summer.

But then, with the Fall TV season upon us, Academy Award winner Renee Zelleweger donned a “fat robot” suit to battle “fat Santa” Jimmy Fallon in a ring. I must imagine that few entries in Bridget Jones’ diary are as mortifying.

So here we now are, and here I am asking: What the hell are we doing, guys?

hungry-hungry-humans

Donald Glover and The Final Five are ‘Hungry, Hungry Humans’ on The Tonight Show

Let me acknowledge up front, yes, David Letterman engaged in stunts. Velcro suits. Dropping watermelons from roofs. Though almost always by himself, and never (best I can recall) at the cost of a guest’s dignity.

“I think that if Letterman in a bath of Rice Krispies happened today, that would be a huge viral hit,” Late Late Show EP Ben Winston said to THR.com, when asked about the pressure to churn out buzzy videos a la Carpool Karaoke. “I don’t think it’s late-night [TV] changing, I just think it’s the way we watch television is changing — and maybe the better shows are benefiting from that.”

When the comedy bits are “better,” sure.

We do live in a different pop culture-verse now versus Letterman’s or the great Johnny Carson’s heyday, one where viral videos stir the drink. Where late-night shows drum up most of their potential tune-in from clips that circulate the next day, inviting you to see what utter wackiness they dreamed up for so-and-so’s latest visit. (How quaint Ed Ames’ famous Tonight Show tomahawk demonstration looks now!) And that is OK. We all know the value in having to “keep the lights on.”

Emma Stone Visits "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon"

Emma Stone helped put ‘Lip Sync Battle’ on the map

Yet for every brilliant idea such as Fallon’s “Lip Sync Battle” (which spawned its own Spike series) or “Classroom Instruments” (which is very much about the singer’s skill), 0r Corden’s “Carpool Karaoke” (coming as a series to an Apple device near you!), most of broadcast’s late-night hosts have beseeched guests (or, their publicists) to bend over backwards in the name of birthing — fingers crossed! — The Next Great Bit.

These comedy concepts tend to fall into two camps: those that afford a guest an opportunity to flex a new muscle and or let slip a secret side of themselves (see: Corden’s “Fill Your Guts or Spill Your Guts” or the series-bound “Drop the Mic“), and those that exist simply to tell the audience, in the vernacular of that one tabloid, “Stars — They’re Just Like Us!” Meaning, they will don an inflatable fat suit for no other reason than to do so. While viewers learn absolutely nothing new about the talent in the process.

In that latter scenario, social media is again to blame. Celebrities now tweet and SnapChat and Instagram as a means to take you inside (a curated version of) their private world, thus raising the stakes for those who (are supposed to) interview them for a living. “Everyone already knows about Biff Longstocking’s adorable rescue dogs and his recent trip to Iceland,” a host may reckon, “so I will abort any attempt at a proper Q&A and instead see how ridiculous a circumstance I can thrust him into!”

Sadly, this disappointing trend may be toothpaste that can never be put back in the proverbial tube, as even Corden, who thankfully shows a modicum of restraint when compared to some of his peers, suggested in a Vanity Fair profile.

“[T]he trick is to just make a great show, because something isn’t going to fail on the show and then be virally amazing,” he noted. “Ultimately what you have to worry about with these shows is not ratings as much as relevance, and we have to be at the forefront at that.”

What do you think about the past, say, five years of late-night TV gimmicks? Is there too much focus on “How silly can we get?” and too little value placed anymore on the interview?

1. greg says:

I dont agree with this. I would much rather watch a celeb participate in a game like “Whats in my box” than listen to them list off speaking points about the movie they are promoting. Its a changed world, people want to be entertained and aren’t looking to late night talk to hear what their favourite star has to say because we have access to them 24/7 online already.

2. Kevin K says:

Really enjoy the hilarious games on The Late Late Show with James Corden that features Drop the Mic, Cell Phone Profile, Nuzzle Whaaa? and their latest stint Fill Your Guts or Spill Your Guts.

3. I don’t wholly disagree but I do find something offputting about your first paragraph when you talk about Jimmy Fallon equating Donald Glover to a 16 year old girl because he was asked to participate in a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos with the Womens Gymnastics team. To me it suggests that you are saying it was demeaning for Donald Glover to be lowered to such levels as if he’s on a higher plane of existence than these talented ladies (only one of which is an actual minor). It would make far more sense to me, and seem far less sexist, if you are argued that it was demeaning to all and that Fallon could have made much better use of his gold-medalist guests than to have them engage in a silly game. Why is it demeaning for Donald but okay for Simone Biles, who is pretty much the best female gymnast in the entire history of the sport? Should only Donald and the male guests ask to be taken seriously?

• Liz says:

Here here Raya! I was going to the say the exact same thing but you said it much more eloquently. Sorry Matt. Your sexism is showing.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

My apologies, it wasn’t about “men vs women” but that the whole exercise was basically an elaborate short joke at Glover’s expense. An edit has been made for clarity.

• I don’t really agree with that analysis that it was an elaborate short joke at Donald Glover’s expense and it still reads like you are more concerned with how poor Donald Glover is portrayed than a group of young female athletes. Either the whole exercise was demeaning or it wasn’t. It’s not demeaning for Donald but okay for the ladies IMO. I appreciate the clarification but I still think it reads with sexist undertones.

• atlgreg88 says:

You know they all had a turn at some point? Even Jimmy Fallon who was the tallest person there. I think you are reading a little too much into that skit. That skit was not the best one to start your op-ed with in my opinion.

• sra says:

I only just read the article, after whatever clarification was made, and my take away was that, in context, that the line about equating Donald Glover with a petite 16 year-old girl is sexist and seems to suggest that by virtue of being a man Donald Glover is deserving of greater respect and dignity than an Olympic champion. I agree with raya, that the game is either demeaning or its not. Suggesting that its demeaning to the man, but fine for the women, says more about the writer than it does the game.

• ken says:

What? How did get men vs women out of that?! Someone’s Freudian slip is showing, I think. I was, however disappointed there was no shout out to Stephen Colbert for actually trying to have intelligent conversation on a bit more regular basis..

4. TheloNaGrapso says:

“Cost of their dignity”. I’m sure they choose to do it, he doesn’t make them. Not sure why so much venom. I get it you comment on TV, and it’s your right to write this but you’re dead wrong on this.

5. V.J. says:

Thank you very much for this article! I agree hundert per cent. It is too much. Those game bits are the reason I don´t watch Fallon. I like the classic interviews and get easily annoyed by those games (some are funny, but there has to be some kind of line). Other than that: they are popular so somebody is having fun and I understand the pressure for the shows to create buzz. I don´t blame them, it´s just changed consumer preferences.

6. Steven says:

I tend to enjoy whatever game James Corden comes up with. I even enjoy Celebrity Noses. He just gets so into it that you can’t help but enjoy.

7. Susan Chapman says:

I agree. I stopped watching Fallon a long time ago. The guests are sacrificed to the altar of “it’s all about Jimmy”. He shows no interest in his guests beyond their participation in the stunts that feature HIM.

8. Matt says:

I disagree as well. That’s one of the reasons Letterman bowed out when he did…the late night landscape was changing and I remember in an interview he said something like he wasn’t interested in changing. I mean, hello we now have Chelsea on Netflix 3 nights a week. I personally don’t watch any late night tv shows anymore, but I do watch clips the next morning. Some definitely are more funny than not, and I venture to say 9 times out of 10 they are; if not they are least “cute they tried”. They bring joy/laughter to my day, and don’t we need more of that in today’s crazy idiotic times? I agree with the previous poster that I would much rather watch Reese wear a fat suit and be silly and “real” them hear about her gardening hobby or some talking point. In our fast-paced world, not only do we want to be entertained, but we also want to “relate” to people more than ever, and the new late night landscape allows celebrities to be even more relatable and endearing. Also, we want our hosts to be relatable and a “friend we want to have dinner with”. I’m talking to you Fallon and Corden. Ps. Anyone else notice that the three best late night hosts are all named Jimmy? Well, James counts.

9. Lauren says:

Unfortunately Conan, Colbert and Meyers are following these rules and are getting left behind in the landscape. My favorites don’t play all the games and they are judged for it. Shoot, Larry Wilmore got fired for playing it too straight and not making enough cutesy viral moments. It’s a bummer.

• ekolint48 says:

Conan and Colbert are two of my favorites. You can throw Kimmel in there for me to complete the top 3 imo.

• Marci says:

Conan, Colbert and Kimmel are my favorites too; I haven’t watched The Tonight Show since NBC screwed over Conan. It doesn’t sound like I’ve missed anything.

• Sam says:

I agree. Conan and Colbert are my faves and I much prefer to sit and watch a full episode of their shows, whereas with Corden and Fallon I will watch certain viral clips. I think they all offer something fun and James Corden is particularly charming, but as far as style goes, I prefer the wit of Conan and Colbert.

This is unrelated (somewhat) but I have to get it off my chest…I miss Jon Stewart.

• Angela says:

You and me both. Seeing him pop up on Colbert’s show last month to comment on the RNC made me ridiculously happy and I wish we could’ve had more of him.
        I’ll echo the love for Colbert, too. I’ll watch any show he hosts simply ’cause I’m just a fan of the guy and his brand of humor in general :D..

10. JScout says:

I agree. That’s just one reason I prefer Colbert. He does some silly stuff, but usually just part of a quick, funny cold open. I like his interviews.

Jimmy Fallon acts like he’s trying to entertain kindergartners.

11. LADY_in_MD says:

Sometimes I wonder if they do the games because the movie or show then guest is promoting can’t be talked about because they don’t want to give anything away so they talk for a few minutes maybe tell a funny story and than go play a game.

12. erik says:

Thank you. Late night sucks. it’s all just made for quick clips to post on the internet and go viral.

13. erik says:

I am SICK of carpool carokee. it’s so old.

14. Sally Mander says:

I’d like an answer about the reason my comments are never posted. I don’t cuss or insult people like others. Until I get an explanation you just lost my business.

15. Chris says:

God I miss Craig Ferguson. He had a talking skeleton, six lamps and two guys in a horse suit, and he was still funnier than these clowns, and capable of substance when the situation called for it. Guests had fun with him, and they could talk about whatever they wanted to. Fallons constant fake laughing alone makes his show unwatchable.

• Lauren says:

I miss Ferguson so much!

• Alison says:

Agree agree agree. I miss Feeguson as well. I also agree with you Matt. There are too many stunts on Late Night. I feel the shows are too gimmick. I know I’m in the minority but I can’t stand the carpool karaoke hype. Ick

• Angela says:

Ferguson’s show was a blast. He knew how to mix serious and silly, and he made his interviews seem natural, like he was just shooting the breeze with whomever came on (and sometimes he’d bring on old friends or lesser-known people to balance out the bigger names). I too miss his show a great deal.

16. There are 5 network late night shows and only 2 of them are mentioned in the article as they are the only 2 who do this stuff. You have 3 other choices that don’t. The wacky stunts are what makes those shows stand out from the pack. Why should they all be the same? Isn’t variety the spice of life or something? If you want to watch a boring interview with a boring celebrity plugging a boring movie, watch Colbert. If you want to watch celebrities doing goofy silly stuff, watch Fallon. Doesn’t this come down to what it should ALWAYS come down to? If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. No need to be a buzz kill about it.

17. Jennifer says:

Matt – I am with you. Johnny Carson is spinning in his grave. What happened to actual interviews? Is today’s generation that ADD? can they not sit still for a 5 minute interview?

• texmike says:

Jennifer, I agree with you 100%. For me, Craig Ferguson was the last watchable late night show.

• E. D. Boddy says:

Well, yes, kind of. Understand that Carson ruled late night in a world of 3 networks, a PBS station, and a few independent stations, often on UHF. Today’s hosts are up against 500 channels of cable or satellite, digital broadcast subchannels, plus Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, the whole rest of the internet, and what’s on one’s DVR.

Maybe it WAS better then. But in 2016, Fallon and the others can’t simply replicate the Carson show -even if they WERE capable of it.

18. Shar says:

Often a ‘star’ will say something now that is interesting or unique and it will be missed in the need to get the laugh. I re-watched Corden’s interview with Mila Kunis and Christina Applegate and I was intrigued by Applegate’s answer to why was she successful. She said it was because she only ever had a mediocre career and it would have been great to expand on that with both of the successful but level headed ladies.

I miss Craig too and his Peabody award winner interview style.

19. Nope, you’re wrong. Next.

20. pickles says:

This is a good article and I quit watching late night years ago. I still watch Carson clips and Letterman on you tube.

21. I respectfully disagree. Sometimes the skits hit upon a dud. But, for the most part, I love seeing serious actors participate in ridiculous silliness. Especially when you have comedic talent like Fallon and Corden that can do silliness with a straight face and make it 10x funnier. As another comment said, I’d rather watch that all day than have to sit through the rehearsed bullet points about their latest project.

22. Jane says:

Thank you. I have quit watching late night TV for this very reason. To me the majority of the skits are just stupid and demeaning to the guest. If you don’t want to talk to the guest why be a late night talk show host?

23. Kim R says:

For me, the balance is off. I don’t mind the occasional game (like Pictionary or Password eg.) but I don’t want the interview to be cut short to make time for the ridiculous. The kind of game makes a difference. Also, it seems when something turns out to be a big hit, it starts to be done so often it takes away from it.

24. Kevin says:

Wholeheartedly agree. They’re not making talk shows anymore; they are trying to make viral videos. And that’s not what the shows have ever been about. The only thing that’s worse: Fallon giggling all the way through every single interview with every single guest. So annoying.

25. Kay says:

Great post. I hadn’t considered it, but I have to agree. If it truly is a great segment, then I’m totally on board (like the aforementioned Carpool Karaoke and Lip Sync Battle), but most of the time I tune in to see who they are as people and to learn something about them. I feel like these gimmicky games often take time away from that. When you have a great host, like Jimmy or Corden or Ellen (though I recognize she’s not late-night), then it can be a true joy to watch them bring out the best in their interviewee, and to interrupt that to watch them do something silly and pointless can be disappointing.

26. matty says:

Somewhere Johnny Carson and Joan Rivers are turning in their graves.

27. HAP says:

The last person to actually host an adult late night show is Dick Cavett.

28. Sarah says:

I agree that it has gotten way out of hand – I have no desire to watch Jimmy Fallon make these people do ridiculous things on tv. The initial premise of doing something different was fine – lip sync battles were great and I didn’t even mind his water war thing but at a certain point when is enough enough. James corden is also guilty – he and jimmy Fallon seem to be the worst offenders.

29. I don’t think we need the interview portion today as in years past. There are so many entertainment news outlets on TV, online, and in print. Back in the day, the late night talk shows were the only places were you would get a celebrity interview on a regular basis. Today, there are entire tv channels/streaming services/websites dedicated to celebrity interviews and entertainment news. Personally, I don’t need in depth celebrity interviews on late night tv when I’m bombarded with them on so many other platforms.

30. Carla Krae says:

Jimmy has always asked guests to participate in games, on both his shows, and the guests always have the option of saying no. There’s also always an interview, not just the game. So if a celebrity is participating, *they find it fun and willingly did so*. You don’t have to watch it.

31. Carolyn says:

I miss Merv Griffin, at least the fact that he would devote the majority of his time to actually interviewing guests. I tune in for whoever the guests are, not the host. I think all of the late night hosts are talented, and their pitch at the beginning of each show is generally entertaining and/or enlightening. Then they all go too far afield trying so hard to be entertaining to the 18-24 group. Even the best of skits can’t be fully appreciated when you clump it together with the night-after-night slog that it reminds you of. The only late night talk shows I watch live are The Daily Show and (until recently) Larry Wilmore. I tape others only if there’s an interesting guest and then fast forward to that interview. I also tape Samantha Bee and watch her entire show. You rock, girl!

32. Shoe says:

Sometimes I’m okay with the bits and sometimes I’m not. One thing that has happened because of the Internet is the endless repeating of the same interview bites across multiple outlets. I think I read years ago that Johnny Carson actually expected guests to come prepared for the Tonight Show interview with stories or bits appropriate for the show. So it was an event to see someone do a Carson interview. Now, I feel like the publicity machines have kind of closed the door on this to some degree. They are just fine with the same questions and answers being repeated as long as the show or movie succeeds. It require less effort than actually working with someone on their interview skills and you have less risk of something offensive being said.This is where the games gimmick actually works. It takes the interview away from the approved soundbite but it doesn’t require a person to share on any kind of level. They can just go out and perform and it will be unique because it gets away from the approved soundbites. Personally, I prefer better interviews with insight into the people talking. i think it’s more interesting. But you need someone skilled at interviewing to accomplish this. And it seems like the late night show producers are really not interested in acquiring people with these skills.

33. TAB says:

I’m surprised that you didn’t mention age/demographics are to blame for the changes to late night. They are after younger viewers and they succeed. I’m not sure how old you are but if I had to guess I would say late 40s or early 50s and that’s not the demographic they want. It’s sad to get older and be out of touch with the younger generation, but effectively that’s what’s happened here. I don’t think you’re wrong, but what you expect and want from late night is out of touch. I see it happening with myself as well, but I realize it’s just part of getting older. Many things have changed on television that I don’t “get” but I realize I am not part of the demographic they are after. You can’t be bothered by it too much. Just don’t embarrass yourself complaining about it! Lol :)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I’m good, thanks. Lowering the bar to appeal to the “desirable” demo has never been a strategy above reproach/scrutiny.

34. Phil says:

I think the lack of moderation is the real issue here. These people have abused the silly bits that worked, and like all things overused, it builds up resentment.
    HOWEVER – I would like to point out that fun, silly time with celebrities is much preferable to guests either evading direct questions, demurring over privacy or telling the same stories over and over. The interview segments on almost all talk shows are so pre-planned, pre-rehearsed, false and stale that I never want to see another. For example, Adele doesn’t want to talk about herself much? Good for her, and how refreshing. But she’s game for pranking Jamba Juice employees, going for some karaoke while carpooling or playing what’s in the box? Those funny bits gave me a much clearer view of her personality than eight YEARS of prior interviews ever did. And I’m thankful for that.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

A great reply. I’m not arguing against ANY non-interview bits. I’m just saying to curate them a bit, and while yes, you should go after those juicy demos, don’t let these comedy stunts be a crutch. You still need to do the work that your predecessors did and conduct the occasional meaningful interview at the desk.

• eviloverlore says:

I’ll jump in here to say that my viewing time is limited. I often record the late-night shows based on a certain guest and I fast-forward to the guest segment alone. On Fallon, especially, I’ve learned I can delete the episode after the interview and before any of his ridiculous games. I have to really adore the interviewee to sit through a game segment where we learn very little new and relevant information about the guest. My regular record/watch is Seth Meyers. He does “bits”, but they rarely involve the guest. Just thought I’d chime in with my viewing habits. I don’t have time for meaningless bits desperately hoping to go viral.

• eviloverlore says:

And let me add that these attempts to create a viral moment might be having the opposite effect desired by these shows. I assume that there’s hope something will go viral or become popular to bring more viewers to the show. I’m tuning in less because I figure if something really is worth watching, it will go viral, and I’ll see an article with the clip in it.

35. Tim Carr says:

Honestly. This is part of the reason I can’t stand to watch Fallon anymore (his forced laugh, and the way the entire show is more about him than his guests). The Late Show with Stephen Colbert is a far superior show on an intellectual level. Sadly, I think that intellect is lost on most people.
    As far as Corden goes, while I enjoy much of his work internationally, his Late Late Show seems very shallow after Craig Ferguson’s show that offered something unlike anything else in late night. But Corden is winning Emmys and attracts more sponsors than Ferguson did, so CBS is happy.

36. Nero tTVfiddler says:

Matt, I do agree with your assessment of late night ‘talk shows’, but I think this is where the networks wanted to take the genre. That is why Letterman and Leno left (or were pushed out) – the late night process is now about viral video clips, and hence, the ‘SNL talent’ that is slotted into these programs.

It is not about the interviews any longer – it is about the viral videos the show produces. I will say this however, the interview process started to fall apart long, long ago… back in the 1980s. Around that time, the talent that went on those programs did so to plug something – a movie, a new book, etc. Back in the ’70s, and ’60s, that was not always (if ever) the case – people came on the show because they wanted to chat, not because a studio was making them promote. A big difference.

For those who would like to see how older generation talk shows used to operate, and were built around the interview, do indeed check out YouTube (as a post noted up-thread). There are lots of searches – such as ‘The Television Talk Show’, that will provide a decade by decade look back at the history of TV talk shows – from Allen and Paar, to Carson and Letterman and Leno, to Griffin, Douglas and Cavett, to Joan Rivers and Dinah Shore, Oprah to Donahue. They are all there… a good lesson in the history of the talk show.

37. dsrbroadway says:

I’ve basically stopped watching talk shows since Falloj started on The Tonight Show. Most of these talk shows have turned celebs into Gong Show contestants. And you know what, I don’t really care if they’re having fun or not.

38. Steve Ungrey says:

Many years ago, at the height of George Bush’s unpopularity, Letterman’s whole monologue would be about Bush. Then he would sit at his desk for another 5-10 minutes and keep haranguing about something Bush did. I was a huge fan of Letterman but all I could think was “Jesus, Dave, this is why you’re losing viewers to Leno!”

I don’t know what Matt wants. A longer monologue with more political humor and the chance to make fun of one side? No thanks. I’ll take the stunts and the games. There are times I watch late night to relax. It’s those bits that go viral, much like Corden’s Carpool Karaoke and Drop the Mic.

And I too miss Ferguson. Hilarious from start to finish.

39. Michele says:

Maybe America has been dumbing down for some time. I don’t think the majority want anything intelligent. In my opinion, Fallon is incapable of interviewing anyone. The silly stunts and gimmicks is all he’s good at. Where are the quality hosts like Dick Cavet!? Letterman was intelligent AND funny. That’s what I like! Celebrities are SO boring. The best there is right now is Steven Colbert, and unfortunately he’s had to dummy down his show to keep up the ratings!

40. Kro says:

🙌🏻 totally agree!

41. datdudemurphy says:

The games and skits are the best part of the late night shows.

• no, they’re 2nd worst to Fallon’s brown nosing and phony laugh

• datdudemurphy says:

You’re missing out.
        The skits are awesome. I don’t care for his interviewing….but I don’t really think his laugh is fake. I think he’s just goofy.

• I love a good interview with my favourite actors, comedians, musicians so, occasionally I tune in to see an interview with James Spader or Jack White or other interesting people that can carry the interview. His skits and remotes are beyond weak and the games are just pathetic. Seems like he gets one of his awful writers to do remotes which makes them even worse.

• datdudemurphy says:

yeah….if you’re watching Fallon for interviews, you’re probably gonna have a bad time.
            He always comes off like he’s drunk or high…. the interviews are just bad.
            I like seeing the celebs just goofing off….

42. Jessie says:

I have to disagree with this article. I was having an awful day, and found myself giggling at this one through-out the day when a gif of them running around in those suits kept popping up on my feeds. I think it’s nice to have a mix of light hearted talk shows AND more intellectually lead talk shows. I appreciate both.

43. John says:

Bravo Matt well put.

44. AngelWasHere says:

I like the games, but I’m in my late 20s and some of you sound so old. lol I’m kidding. :P I do think some of the games are incredibly stupid and annoying tho.

45. Mary says:

Graham Norton is the only good interviewer on tv, it’s so laidback and fun

46. Paolo says:

Honestly, I prefer the intelligent commentary Stephen Colbert and Seth Meyers deliver, mainly slamming the absurdity of Trump and his supporters, and the Person on the Street Jimmy Kimmel does, over the frivolous games Fallon amd Corden do, but I do get why folks gobble them up significantly more than Colbert and Meyers. It’s hard to rag on them, maybe a better and less absurd guest matchup?

47. peterwdawson says:

Just another reminder why I prefer Colbert.

48. Red Snapper says:

I totally agree. I was just thinking this when I was watching The Tonight Show this morning. I have found myself cringing at Fallon’s antics more and more. I rarely watch him anymore. I prefer Jimmy Kimmel and Seth Meyers. I don’t watch Colbert or Corden but only because I don’t have access to CBS. I do catch some of the bits though. I rely on Hulu for most of my television. I enjoy the occasional fun skit or bit but they are definitely being overused. I want to see more interviews.

49. luanmorina says:

I don’t understand if nowadays these are ‘talk-shows’, or ‘game-shows’.
    Always enjoyed a good talk of hosts such as Craig or David, with their guests.
    Now, it’s just games, and most of them are stupid, and overused. A game or two in a week is alright, but every night?!
    The only one decent to watch right now is Seth Meyers. And I hope he never changes.