Chuck Pratt Star Showrunner Fox Lee Daniels

Ex-Y&R Headwriter Chuck Pratt Named New Showrunner of Lee Daniels' Star

When Lee Daniels’ Star stars shooting this month, it’ll be with a daytime TV vet at the helm.

Chuck Pratt Jr., who most recently served as headwriter on CBS’ The Young and the Restless, has been named showrunner and executive producer of the upcoming Fox series, filling the void left by departing producer-writer Charles Murray.

In early September, Murray left the show after he and Star co-creators Daniels and Tom Donaghy amicably parted ways over creative differences.

Pratt’s TV resumé includes The Lying Game, Desperate Housewives, Melrose Place and Ugly Betty, as well as soap staples All My ChildrenGeneral Hospital and Santa Barbara.

The Atlanta-set Star follows three young women (Ryan Destiny, Jude Demorest and Brittany O’Grady) who form a musical group and experience the music business’ highs and lows on their road to fame. The cast also includes Queen Latifah, Benjamin Bratt and Nicholas Gonzalez.

Star, which is slated to premiere in early 2017, will air Wednesdays at 9/8c.

1. kmw says:

Good luck to this show because Pratt ruined plenty of daytime shows. Maybe he writes better for prime time than he did daytime

2. grubby says:

Finally. Long over due for Pratt to be on his way. Now maybe Y & R can get back to being the #1 soap it used to before he & JFP got their grubby paws on it. (pun intended)

3. Car says:

i’m out. He’s right up there with Jill Phelps as my most hated EPs. They both can ruin a show in nothing flat.

4. KayCeeCee says:

Oh no! I was really hoping that this show would succeed. Ah well!

5. Eric7740 says:

When did he leave Y&R??? I haven’t heard anything of him leaving or getting replaced and I keep up with SOAP news religiously!!! Not that I would mind if he’s gone from Y&R, he’s really hurt that show and he single handidly killed AMC! I knew that had gotten rid of EP but not the head writer, is this breaking news???!!!

6. dan says:

I blame him for the death of All My Children. His plot-driven storylines were ridiculous and made no sense. He ruined good characters and helped lay the groundwork for the eventual cancellation of AMC (after the ABC brain trust moved the show to LA). I won’t be watching.

7. Somebody has to raised the question; How does Chuckles continue to get gig after another gig? It like dude your 60 go retired in Palm Springs, and go write a blog for some rich socialites daughter name Casey. Chuck, should never write for television ever again, since he’s a killer, and his home girl JFP hopefully stays on the beach somewhere, or better yet open up a dinner in Pasadena, CA.

8. Erin B says:

I had not heard that he left Y&R. That is great news! I thought he would be out right away when Phelps was canned, but then he remained so I thought he may be there for awhile longer. Sorry for future viewers of the new show he got.

9. Tiffany says:

Isn’t this the guy who ruined Twisted?

10. Jamie says:

Ah booooo. I was gonna check this out – Queen Latifah starring in a Lee Daniels show set in my hometown. I’ve completely lost all interest now. Whoever made this decision clearly doesn’t know that they’ve just ruined the show before it aired.

11. Truth Teller says:

Pratt’s writing has been uniformly atrocious no matter where he has landed. His niche is low-brow camp, and he is incapable of writing multi-dimensional characters or anything remotely intelligent. His unfortunate style may work temporarily on shows with a camp-loving audience, but the past has proven that such an audience tires of Pratt’s dreck very quickly, and abandons the shows he destroys.