Emmys
SNL Fey Poehler

Emmys: Fey/Poehler Make History, Named Best Guest Comedy Actress; Game of Thrones Grabs 9 Early Wins

This Saturday marked Night 1 of the Primetime Emmy Awards’ two-part creative arts ceremony, and FX’s The People vs. O.J. Simpson came out of the gate with four early wins — including for Casting and Hairstyling (for a Limited Series or Movie) — ahead of the Big Show on Sunday, Sept. 18.

All told, People vs. O.J. Emmy Winners Full List 2016entered this year’s Emmys with 22 total nominations, second only to HBO’s Game of Thrones (which amassed 23).

Speaking of Thrones, it thus far has converted on seven nine of its nods, including in stunt coordination, special visual effects and casting categories. FX’s American Horror Story: Hotel on Saturday picked up a pair of Emmys, in costuming and makeup categories.

Saturday Night Live Emmy Nominations Girls Scolaricohosts Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, who made Emmy history by sharing a Guest Actress nomination, doubled down on that first by winning the category (marking Poehler’s first gold), besting fellow SNL hosts Melissa McCarthy and Amy Schumer, Big Bang Theory moms Christine Baranski and Laurie Metcalf, and Transparent‘s Melora Hardin. Girls‘ Peter Scolari, a late addition to the race after Veep‘s Peter MacNicol got disqualified, wound up winning for Guest Actor in a Comedy.

On the drama side, Ray Donovan‘s Hank Azaria was named Outstanding Guest Actor, while The Americans‘ Margo Martindale repeated as Guest Actress.

Fargo Season 2, which placed third this year with 18 total nods, thus far has converted on two, for Cinematography and Single-Camera Picture Editing (for a Limited Series or Movie).

Among first-timers, Marvel’s Jessica Jones was deemed to have the best Original Main Title Theme Music, The Man in the High Castle won for Original Main Title Design and Cinematography for a Single-Camera Series, and Mr. Robot grabbed gold for Outstanding Music Composition for a Series (Original Dramatic Score) and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend won for Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Comedy Series.

Emmys.com has a list of all winners thus far.

Night 2 of the Creative Arts Awards will be held this Sunday. An edited broadcast of this weekend’s ceremonies will air on FXX on Saturday, Sept. 17 at 8/7c.

1. A.J. says:

Amy Poehler finally has an Emmy! The world makes sense!

2. ToyCannon says:

Are/were these awards televised?

3. jj says:

how does shared nomination for an individual acting award make any sense?

4. Lori says:

Outlander. :(

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

0-for-2.

• Lori says:

I spoke with Terry yesterday afternoon and was so hopeful she’d win. The costumes for Outlander are beyond stunning. I can’t believe the detail she includes! Down to the smallest button and stitch.

Hopefully she’ll get recognized elsewhere and also next year.

5. J Frost says:

I used to really like Amy Poehler and then I read her book (her own words I assume…) and I finished it feeling that this woman is truly despicable. I’ve now had it confirmed watching her behaviour at awards shows etc – she does not clap for ANY winner and instead throws dirty looks at each one. I love P&R but truly can’t get past the real her revealed in her book. Self involved, hedonistic, rude and ignorant woman. Also that award clearly belonged to Christine Baranksi having watched each of the nominees performances.

• Lauren says:

I don’t know how to respond other than to say, you and I would clearly not be friends IRL.

• Kate says:

Interesting. I know someone else who read her book and felt the same way. I listened to it, it was read by Amy, and didn’t come away with that impression at all. I wonder if it’s in the delivery. Huh. Interesting.

• Ryan says:

I felt that the book was inspiring and empowering and made me love her even more. Yes parts were selfish but they were honest. That’s what I love about her: she’s totally honest. I don’t know anyone who wasn’t selfish and self-centered at some point in their life and if you’re writing an autobiography, to leave that out would be inauthentic.

I loved her book. Made me love her more. If you’ve ever loved Amy you knew most of “hedonistic stuff” anyway.

• dumomt says:

J Frost: Drink a cup of herbal tea and take a nap…

6. Z says:

SO is this the 1st Emmy for the CW? Sad that Outstanding Narrator didnt go to Jane the Virgin.

7. Lia says:

Outlander should be nominated in every category they qualify. It is an Outstanding beautiful show. The acting, scenery, costumes everything is top notch and should be recognized. Anyone not watching should be..

8. Ron says:

Yay!!! I’m so happy for Amy Poehler! I’ve been complaining for years that it’s ridiculous she doesn’t have an Emmy. After 18 nominations (20 nominations if you wanna count her Daytime Emmy nominations), she finally has one. Though I’ll forever hold a grudge that she never won for the brilliant character of Leslie Knope.

9. N says:

I’m happy for both. I also loved both of their books

10. Josh says:

The Emmys are so headache inducing. Amy never wins for Parks and Rec but she wins for guest starring on SNL.

Meanwhile, as much as I love the Americans and Margo, she was BARELY on this season. Like literally, I think she had three minutes of screen time. What about the actresses who play Martha or Nina or Paige or even the actress who played the alcoholic woman who Elizabeth had to deal with…

11. digitalred93 says:

Game of Thrones won 9 Emmys last night not 7 according to Variety and WatchersontheWall.com.

12. Joey Padron says:

Happy Amy and Tina won! Happy Mr.Robot and Jessica Jones won their first Emmy.

13. RD says:

How does Margo Martindale win an emmy when if you blinked you would have missed her in the last season of The Americans? That’s just plain stupid. It proves that the voters don’t watch everything that’s nominated. Apart from that,she’s pretty much the same in everything she does anyway.

• The Beach says:

Damn, not only did poor Martha get shuffled off to Cold War era Moscow but the Emmys shafted her too. I agreed with Margo’s win for Justified but certainly not this time.

14. B says:

Not sure how either Sense8 or Crazy Ex Girlfriend didn’t win main title theme. Also, how Outlander didn’t win for costumes.

15. KLS says:

Nothing against Peter Scolari, but how does someone who got a backdoor nomination win the category? Do the voters re-watch the nominated submissions again to choose the winner?

16. J Frost says:

All of my friends who have read Amy’s book thought the same – except one who have up on it as ‘life is too short for this type of self indulgent garbage!’ Maybe it was the delivery – but I still feel her public appearances as herself reconfirm the image I now have of her. I LOVE Leslie Knope and loved her GG hosting but still can’t feel anything other than a bit negative toward her now. But each to their own as they say. I also wonder why neither her nor Tina Fey went to the Creatives? Perhaps not high profile enough for her?!