SNL Mikey Day

SNL Scribe Mikey Day Joins Cast

Fresh off his on-camera run on NBC’s summer variety series Maya & Marty, Saturday Night Live writer Mikey Day is making the transition to featured player on the long-running sketch series.

Day, who has been with SNL since 2013 (and whose handiwork includes the always entertaining “Close Encounter” sketch embedded below), will join the cast for Season 42, premiering Saturday, Oct. 1. His previous writing credits also include The Underground, Robot Chicken and Incredible Crew, while his on-camera work includes Wild ‘N Out and “correspondent” segments on Jay Leno’s assorted talk shows.

Though their Chris Redd intel has since been denied, The Comic’s Comic appears to have broken the news of Day’s SNL move, which has since been seconded by Deadline but has yet to be officially announced by NBC.

1. Joey Padron says:

Good news Mikey Day will be on the show! Can’t to see him on the show this fall!

2. DV says:

A white guy I’m actually glad is getting on the show. Now if John Mulaney could take over weekend update…

• Ron says:

…… No. I don’t know, maybe I’m in the minority, but John Mulaney is one of the least funniest people I’ve ever seen in my life. To me, he is so unfunny, it actually makes me irrationally angry. One example: I somehow muscled through an entire 1 hour Mulaney stand up, and, at best, maybe chuckled a total of one time. We agree Weekend Update needs better on air talent. Jost and Che are so blah and need to be replaced. We obviously disagree that Mulaney should be the person to take over.

3. Steven says:

Oh good! I really liked him on Maya & Marty.

4. Kevin K says:

Mikey Day is going to be a great addition to the SNL cast. Can’t wait until October 1st for the new season to begin.

5. Phil says:

Great move! I had wondered what happened to him after he was one of the highlights of “Kath & Kim”. That show was a mess, but there are so many moments that still bring a smile to my face.

6. That Alien Abduction skit was magnificent!!!!!
    It is 9-17-16, I am still saying lines from it.
    The cast and writers were perfect.
    Kate McKinnon was AWESOME.
    That character in her, in my opinion needs to be played up every time. Have not seen the new Ghostbusters movie yet but if they did not play Kate’s alien abduction character, what a mistake.
    You guys are totally awesome!!!!!