mistresses Cancelled

Mistresses Cancelled After Four Seasons

Mistresses has been put to bed.

ABC has cancelled the frothy summertime soap after four seasons, TVLine has learned. Last Tuesday’s Season 4 finale — which revolved around the death of Yunjin Kim’s Karen — will now serve as the series finale. The episode drew 2.6 million viewers and an 0.6 rating, on par with the show’s Season 3 finale.

Exec producer Rina Mimoun told TVLine earlier this week that she and showrunner Josh Reims were in the process of trying to sell the network on the idea of “a final fling” of 13 episodes to air in 2017. “We really feel like there’s one more year of story to tell, but we’re also looking for a graceful way to wrap up the series,” she explained. “There’d be some new hot messes in the mix, and we’d be moving back toward the kind of racy romp that Mistresses was when it began.”

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect the news.

Thoughts? Are you happy that the show will not be moving forward without Karen? Or were you looking forward to that one “final fling”? Hit the comments!

1. Karen T. says:

I should’ve known! It seemed like a series finale but tried to act like it wasn’t. Sorry to say goodbye to one of my favorite summer shows. It was good while it lasted.

• H says:

‘m sorry for your death. We’re gonna miss you.

• Sam says:

That felt like a series finale. Honestly who expected it to continue after those flash forwards?! What a lackluster season anyway. Still nowhere close to the brilliant BBC original.

As messy as that finale was, i’m thankful that ABC let the show breath out….. though way past its time.

Now, please get Jes on a new hot show!

• Desiree says:

I agree Karen. One of myfavorite summer shows. Can’t imagine summer without Joss. lol. But the episode ended a little too neatly. If felt like a series finale

• GUSTAVO ALCALA says:

MISTRESSES NEVER RECOVERED AFTER DEPARTURE OF ALYSSA MILANO!!!!! SIMILAR TO CHARLIES ANGELS NEVER RECOVERED FROM LOSS OF KATE JACKSON IN 1979!!!! TO SAVE MISTRESSES ABC SHOULD HAVE REPLACED MILANO WITH SHANNEN DOHERTY AND SCHEDULED MISTRESSES ON FALL SCHEDULE ABC SUNDAY BETWEEN ONCE UPON A TIME AND QUANTICO. THIS GENIUS CASTING AND SCHEDULE CHANGE WOULD GUARANTEE MISTRESSES A 10 YEAR RUN ALA BEVERLY HILLS 90210 AND CHARMED!!!!!! SHANNEN DOHERTY IS A GUARANTEED RATINGS WINNER AND EVEN WHEN SHE LEFT 90210 IT CONTINUED FOR A 10 YEAR TOTAL AND CHARMED RAN WITHOUT SHANNEN FOR YEARS FOR A TOTAL OF 8 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!

• Sallycat10 says:

Maybe so, but Shannon would’ve had to leave for her cancer treatment.

• Meg says:

If the shows Shannen was on were able to last without her for multiple seasons maybe she’s not on a guaranteed ratings winner.

• Michelle says:

I Like what you said on Mistresses, Charlies Angels, & Charmed, I love those shows too…….

• AJ says:

You yelling about it does not make it true. While I watched every episode of Mistresses, it was a fun summer show. It would have been DESTROYED if it were on Sundays on ABC at 9PM – it would go against CBS’ shows, the NFL (yes, different demo), HBO’s Sunday show, Walking Dead, etc.

• cougargrad2000 says:

WHY ARE YOU YELLING?????????

• Aaron says:

I agree with Gustavo assessment. ABC should have revamped Mistresses with a popular actress and reschedule d it Sunday after once upon a time. That 9pm timeslot is a dead zone for years. I enjoy Shannen Doherty immensely. She’s riveting on and off screen.

• linda says:

agreed. Shannon would have done it for Mistresses..
        It was a great Summer Show.Going to miss it.
        I think it had a few more years under its belt
        Sorry to See it go

2. ABG. says:

I didn’t expect it to last past the first season so it had a good run for a summer show.

That said the finale’s cliffhanger must be painful for fans.

• wrstlgirl says:

Wasn’t really much of a cliffhanger, at least I didn’t think so.

• JCPrime1 says:

A Karen Kim double showing up is a cliffhanger. They also introduced a bunch of new characters.

• wrstlgirl says:

I didn’t say there wasn’t a cliffhanger, I said it wasn’t much of a cliffhanger. my opinion. You have yours, I have mine. Cudos.

• H says:

Harry has an adult son, Savi will never forgive her sister and probably won’t even see her again. Nobody cares about Kate, who apparently works for Harry now. All storylines are solved.

• H says:

Let me solve the cliffhanger for ya:
      SPOILERS!!!

Karen Kim 2: I’m Karen Kim

April: How weird my late Bff was named that

Kk2.0: I know that barista told me

April:she must have mixed things up a little bit. It happens when you see a lot of people every day I guess. You don’t look Korean tho.

KK2.0: I was adopted by a Korean couple.

April: That explains it. Are you going to buy anything?

Kk2.0: Nope, I can get the same stuff much cheaper online. How are still in business I will never understand. This is basically an overpriced Ikea that sells cappuccinos.

April: Randy get this b!tch out of my store before I go Elizabeth Grey on her ass.

THE END

3. Honesty, i saw that coming a mile away

• H says:

Like everyone else that follows ratings, which this show never really had. It existed solely because the ABC president liked it (like Nashville, Agent Carter and Galavant), and he got fired so they knew it was it, which is why the finale was a big farwell with a little open ending just in case.

4. Karen says:

I think if Mistresses had stayed “the racy romp” it was in the beginning for Seasons 3 and 4 then maybe it would have gotten better ratings. The show went completely downhill with the Calista/Joss storyline and this season has been a bit of a mess (and not a hot mess). They should have stayed true to the name of the show and had at least one mistress!

5. Didn’t like Joss and April having babies and Karen getting killed so not too upset it is now over since they ruined the whole wonderful series anyways….why do producers and others in charge always want to fix shows that aren’t broken…

6. Betti carp says:

Stop cancelling good “soap opera” shows. There was so much that they could continue with with this new storyline.

7. Jennie B Sardone says:

I really love this show and wish it could be on forever! My friends and I text during all the commercials because we love talking about each scene and what is happening. I am sad to learn it will not continue. Wish Karen was still on the show.

8. the show was great but it “jumped the shark” this year…

9. Jeri says:

No no no they can’t cancel it I want to see who this new Karen is please please bring it back

10. jef3r says:

Nooooo! Literally just finished watching this week’s episodes and want to know where they were going to go with that Karen storyline! Ugh… I should have known when they covered a timespan of a year in five minutes with babies popping up everywhere. And, for the record. I cried when Karen died. Lol! I was a little embarrassed I couldn’t help it.

11. Danielle says:

This isn’t a painful cancellation since pretty much everything was wrapped up. They gave everyone except Kate a happy ending and the Karen Kim lady cliffhanger. They killed off Karen when she had a decent guy in her life and was figuring life out. It was a cheap decision to kill her off when there wasn’t built up. The EPs can say whatever that she wanted to leave but they could’ve had her travel or move a la Savi. Sigh I’m going to need a group of gal pal replacement asap.

12. i stopped watching when alyssa m. left. the other actresses are talented but couldn’t carry the show. too bad.

• Mika says:

I preferred the show without Alyssa. But it would have been hard watching without the Karen Kim character.

• Michelle says:

I totally agree, I haven’t been feeling it since she left. I tried to continue watching but I was just so disgusted with Joss or Jess or whatever her name is for messing with her ex brother-in-law that it just completely turned me off from the show. It may have been good but I wouldn’t know

13. Sandra Lynch says:

That’s not fair to cancel the show by number of viewers who watched when the show aired . First of all it was labor day weekend when everyone is away, 2nd I personally work nights and am always trying to get caught up on the internet. Why is it all the shows I become attached to get cancelled! I loved this show and it was one of only 2 shows I looked forward to every week!!
    Why? !! Why?!!

14. Jodi says:

I’m okay with this. I felt like the finale was a wrap up, then at the last second they felt the need to throw in another Karen Kim just in case it’s picked up again.

Though I would have liked some more Ricky Whittle on my screen…

15. Rahajicho says:

Devious Maids and Mistress, September hasn’t been good to summertime soaps.

16. Sandra sc Ceccato says:

All the great shows get cancelled! Maybe they can continue on Netflix!

17. A. Linda says:

Surprised it ended this way – was looking forward to a new twist in the series. It has been an enjoyable ride and will be missed.

18. Rosemary says:

Don’t cancel. Why did you kill karen

19. Davis says:

Sad to see this . Loved watching this show in the summer.

20. MattySi says:

I loved this show and am sad to see it go but I’m ok with the way everything ended. I loved who how it’s open to interpretation..

21. Anita Guy says:

Man I hate to hear that mistress is being cancelled I really love that show so much. I hate to see it go away. I know alot of shows they should’ve cancelled and one of them is the Batchelor . That is one of the,dumbest shows on tv right now the the rating are great.

22. Denise Johnson says:

I thought the reason the last episode ended that way was because next year they were bringing Karen back after she had been kidnapped by her sitter and held hostage. I am disappointed that it is not coming back. Can’t you make a movie to really tie it all up?

• DGC says:

I thought the same thing! I was sure that was what had happened – although she had to lose tons of weight to pull that off! LOL

23. TAB says:

They should have just allowed Karen to marry her new guy and had them move away. Now the show ends with her unnecessary death. What a waste!

24. Jody says:

Sad, will miss!

25. Kim Stafford says:

Love the show and don’t know why Karen was killed off when her story was getting so good! Please bring the show back!

26. Shelby says:

Super sad its over I freaking love this show …
    #somad

27. Carm says:

I will miss it but figured it would be cancelled.

28. Aimee & James says:

I’m done watching ABC. They do this too often; dont allow shows to end their stories.

• Pamela says:

I know I thought the same thing because for example two and a half men ( I know it doesn’t have anything to do with mistresses) but it was on fox for a pretty long time and all of a sudden got worse in the middle of the series. That show still stayed on air and it gone down in ratings. Gosh I wish mistresses was on a different channel cuz with other channels they don’t let the show go that easily. Abc is way too critical of what they put on air. Mistresses was even one of the better shows on air and actually had meaning.

• jj says:

Two and a half men was on CBS. Also it’s not a good example to use. It consistently had over 12 million viewers for the first ten seasons, and over 10 million viewers for the last two seasons. It was a powerhouse in the ratings that’s why it survive so long. That can’t be said with Mistresses

29. Starr says:

Karen was great for the show. Should have kept here

30. Rebecca says:

This show was awesome!!! One of my absolute favorites !!! So sad to see it go !!

31. ccjwhite90 says:

Finally! I try to be impartial to US remakes but this was just a monstrosity from start to finish. This should have been cancelled long ago in order to make way for original dramas!

32. Leo says:

Hmmm…with the way they write off Yunjin’s character and how the finale went….it’s not actually surprising. The only disappointment is the network boss should’ve told them to write a series finale then we’ll probably have a happy ending for everyone including Karen. I think the network boss should’ve the ones to blame.

33. Karen says:

They could have ended it without bringing in some new “Karen ” like what was that about? ? You need to bring it back if nothing else to explain that..I can’t believe it got cancelled. That was such a great show :(

34. Michelle says:

I loved this show, so sad it has been cancelled.. I looked forward all year to watch this summer show.

35. wgsecretary says:

With the time jump, it did feel like a finale to me. I wish they’d just not killed off Karen and let her get her happy ending. I’m sure Lydia would have been related to this new Karen Kim in some way. I mean, she’s the reason Karen is dead and all we see is a glimpse of her at the funeral and she’s never mentioned again? I did read an interview with the creators or writers, I forget who exactly, but they said that the new Karen wasn’t Lydia after plastic surgery. Which was where I thought they were going. So, if Lydia wasn’t going to be involved in some way with this new Karen, then they totally just screwed up that story line by dropping it entirely with no ending for that crazy Lydia. Now I just hope the creators do an interview and tell us what that was going to be all about.

36. Almedilia Cruz says:

I was really looking forward to that final fling to tie up all the loose ends. Please bring it back for the final episodes in 2017. Not happy that it has been cancelled.

37. Jenny says:

I really don’t get ABC.
    So many crapy shows and first cancelling Nashville that fortunatly was bougt by another company.
    Byt com on!
    Now cancelling Mistresses.
    Nothing else to whatch on ABC 😞

38. Judy Powers says:

I just discovered Mistresses last week with the two final shows and really enjoyed them. I was able to follow the plot, and figure out who was who. Not many shows can bring a newbie up to speed that fast. I was looking forward to next summer, and now you tell the fans that it’s been CANCELLED? First Devious Maids. and now Mistresses, both ending on cliffhangers. The only shows that had satisfactory “wrap-ups” were Castle and Person of Interest, because the showrunners were given plenty of notice to plan. Fans of Devious Maids and Mistresses should have gotten that also.

39. Connie L Siebers says:

The good TV shows always get cancelled! I loved this show!

40. Margie says:

I am so disappointed, that finale sure left the viewers hanging

41. Nydmar says:

I had a hunch after watching the last episode but didn’t want to believeit! First Devious Maids and now Mistresses CANCELLED!!!! Know we won’t know what is the mystery with Karen Kim #2. Please bring it back!

42. Joyce says:

Very disappointed, I did not see this coming. I loved this show and especially liked the fact that it was a good show offered during summer.

43. Suzanne says:

Assume the new Karen is nydia and Karen is still alive. She us holding her captive so she can force her to transfer money and live her life.

44. SO SORRY ABC CANCELED YET ANOTHER SHOW I ENJOYED SO MUCH.FOR INSTANCE NASHVILLE!!!! ALSO MANY OTHER SHOWS BEING REPLACED BY STUPID SITCOMS THAT ARE NOT EVEN ENTERTAINING.IT INSULTS MY INTELLIGENCE TO WASTE MY,EVENINGS !!!!

45. Nancy dowd says:

I’m all for happy endings so the season finale pleased me when two of the couples were happily married with babies.
    If it continued into another season who knows what might have happened to our now happy couples.

46. Jake says:

I’m glad it’s done. It felt like a series finale with everything wrapped up for everyone. The Karen wannabe was not necessary. They should have let the original rest in peace. A show with 2/4 leads on isn’t the same. Also none of them are “mistresses ” anymore. 2 of my summer guilty pleasures are gone with this and Devious Maids. Hopefully The Night Shift gets renewed!

47. Whitney says:

I was really hoping that a seadon 4 was coming, but I knew that episode was the end. I’m definitely going to buy the show on DVD it was one of my favorites. I just wish Karen didn’t have to die to end it. Why couldn’t have Savi come back and died somehow or that funeral been April’s mom’s? I was praying it was when the episode started. A good series finale would have been all three women, married, with all their babies together.

48. Jill crescenzo says:

I love mistresses and so do my friends.
    I’m devasted they cancelled it.
    It was a great great show.
    What a shame
    Pls try to bring it back for June.

• kathy Lazor says:

I loved the show too. I do agree we need Savi back somehow and but at the very least if there is another show with Jess that will make all the difference.
      Jess is awesome and without her there wouldn’t have been a Mistresses.
      I would love to see it continue,

49. Jeanne Johnson says:

Bring back the show. Sick of ABC cancelling shows.

50. debbie says:

Not happy with the ending, Karen dying. I hate shows that end with things not wrapped up. New Karen story we will never know what that was I almost don’t want to start watching anything new cause I get so mad when they end without being finished if you know what I mean.