Zayn Malik Boys TV Series

TVLine Items: Zayn Malik's Boy Band Drama, USA Renews Queen and More

Chicago Boy Band it’s not, but über producer Dick Wolf and former One Direction singer Zayn Malik are teaming up for a potential NBC drama about a musical group.

The project, titled Boys, follows the formation of a hugely successful boy band and all the excitement, competition, fun and pressure that ensue.

Sherri Cooper Landsman and Jennifer Levin (Beauty and the Beast, Brothers & Sisters) will pen the pilot and exec-produce alongside Wolf and Malik.

Ready for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…

* USA Network has renewed Queen of the South for Season 2, with Natalie Chaidez (Hunters) stepping in as the new showrunner. The Season 1 finale airs Sept. 15 at 10/9c.

* Wife-and-husband producing team Melissa McCarthy and Ben Falcone are developing a single-camera family comedy for Fox, our sister site Deadline reports. The untitled project — written by Jim Cashman (Saturday Night Live) and Mitch Silpa (Bridesmaids) — is about a successful type-A man who finds himself living with his estranged sister and her two kids.

* Sam Waterston (Grace and Frankie) has joined the cast of Netflix’s six-episode period drama Godless, from executive producer Steven Soderbergh (The Girlfriend Experience), per Deadline. He will play Marshal John Cook, who is on the hunt for Jeff Daniels’ menacing outlaw.

1. Rachel says:

Can someone take away Zayn’s fame card already? He only uses it for evil.

2. Ian says:

Queen of the South needed better showrunning. Glad to see its been renewed and given a new showrunner.

3. Steven says:

Boys sounds interesting. I’d watch.

4. Alec says:

People are saying on tumblr that two of the lead singers of the band in the show will be in a relationship but they can’t come out because their record label told them to keep it secret cause they’re afraid of losing their girls fans. This is clearly based in Louis Tomlinson and Harry Styles. This will be controversial… and I already love it!

• Sandrine says:

Well, if it’s based on Louis and Harry’s relationship then this will involve a lot of drama between the boys and their management, record label. I hope they include a Simon Cowell character and expose him for the evil that he is. Mwahaha!

5. Ron says:

I admire Dick Wolf. But Zayn Malik…as an executive producer…of a television show? Uh, hard, hard pass. Though I guess he probably won’t really have much to do with it, so… I guess I just feel like Zayn should stick to looking pretty and making mediocre (at best) music.

6. Rahajicho says:

Chicago Boy Band. Ha, I can already imagine the five-night crossover. Between Greg Berlanti, Ryan Murphy, and Wolf, the age of the superproducer is here.

7. Babygate says:

Extremely happy about Queen of the South. Especially since my other fave, Devious Maids was cancelled.

8. HAP says:

Queen of the South is based upon the Telemundo series La Reina Del Sur which had Kate Del Castillo as lead. You know, Sean Penn and Shorty Guzman’s buddy. While I think Alice Braga has done a fine job, I never understood why they cast a Brazilian actress to play a Mexican. Did they ever consider Kate Del Castillo?

• USAshowsRdeBest says:

Alice braga is a very good actress, she has really brought this character to life and I feel some Mexican actors are over the top at times but she is cool and collected and that’s what’s required of the lead role in a female led show.
      I will admit knee nothing about her or this show it just caught me by surprise and from then I was hooked.

9. Ava Efron says:

Please dont make tgis my new obsession. I have too many to keep up with.