Fall TV Preview
Grey's Anatomy Season 13 Spoilers

Grey's Anatomy Eyes 'Lighter' Arc for Jackson and April in Season 13

Grey’s Anatomy‘s Jesse Williams and Sarah Drew are about to enjoy some much needed vocal rest.

After enduing a season in which their characters, estranged spouses Jackson and April, ricocheted from one shouting match to another, the actors are getting something of an emotional reprieve. For now, at least.

In a new interview with EW.com, series creator Shonda Rhimes reveals that Season 13 will explore “in a much lighter way, what it means” for the first-time parents “to be uncoupled, to be divorced, and to have a kid.”

And, presumably, to have a conversation with each other at a normal speaking volume.

“They’re going to really try to do this in a healthy way,” Rhimes maintains, before cryptically adding, [But] is that healthy way going to feel so healthy when they still have feelings for each other?”

In an interview with TVLine last spring, Williams expressed optimism about a possible ‘Japril’ reunion. “They definitely have hope,” he said. “I think, as long as they’re alive, they’re going to have hope, because they care deeply about each other. I would be hard-pressed to ever say the slate is wiped completely clean [for them emotionally].”

1. Angela says:

Don’t like them together. Just put them with other people already. They’re terrible as a couple, they should’ve stayed friends.

• Pamela says:

I know, I just want them to be done for good already. I actually liked Jackson with Stephanie, can’t think of anyone currently on the show for April though, maybe Arizona?

• AD says:

Strongly, strongly disagree. They are the only remaining couple I find worth rooting for and Sarah & Jesse have the kind of chemistry that makes it so. I think that’s the reason why they get handed the amount of drama they do. Wasting that kind of chemistry would just be dumb.

• Christina says:

I agree. They both need to find someone new. They bring out the worst in each other and neither can truly be themselves when they’re together. April is at her most selfish and self-centered when she’s with Jackson. I literally cannot stand her when she’s with him, but she’s fine in scenes with other characters.

2. sayer says:

Put April with Arizona.

3. Carlyspencer says:

I love Japril, can’t wait to see what the new season has in store for them. I am hoping for a Japril reunion, but I want a slow, season long build to it.

4. Gul says:

Love them together!! And I’m glad they’re finally having a lighter season( I hope that sticks). They were put through so much in such a short amount of time and were never given a chance to be happy, they deserve it. I really hope they rebuild their relationship and get back together eventually! And Catherine needs to back off.

5. Dee says:

I feel like I can’t complain too much because they did get an entire episode to themselves last year. But…I hated the way their story just veered off into some craziness that involved lawyers and restraining orders. Then after one great shared moment in the parking lot, they pretty much drop out of sight until a handful of moments in the season finale. Jesse Williams and Sarah Drew have so much chemistry that it just oozes off the screen. Given there aren’t many couples on the show right now with that kind of chemistry, it would be good to see at least one couple in love and together. So here’s to hoping we finally get to witness them finding their way back to each other with their baby girl.

6. SG says:

I don’t believe Shonda. Whenever she talks about lighter arc for sb, it lasts for a few episodes, and then drama begins.

• anon says:

Yeah, I’d like to believe her but I’ve been burned too many times (wasn’t season 12 supposed to be a lighter season?). One of them will probably end up dead or something. Honestly, I don’t care if they’re shoved to the background if it means they’re done fighting and being decent to each other again.

7. Ashly says:

I’m hoping this means good things for Japril! They deserve some happiness…finally.

8. E says:

I can’t wait to see them raising their baby together. I love their chemistry.

9. LOVE them!!! Get them back together!!!

10. Hannah says:

Best couple on the show, hope they get back together.

11. Jolexisajoke says:

Japril are so overrated 😞😞

12. Bell says:

Get them back together and stop wasting that amazing chemistry

13. Anna says:

Japril became insufferable the minute April decided to pray her virginity back and yet Shonda keeps dragging that mess, so I’ve lost all hope that they’ll start having serious relationships with other people. Which is too bad, because their characters are being completely wasted, they’re simply boring and repetitive together.

• Gul says:

Lol remember when they had “serious relationships” with Stephanie’s and Matthew’s? And what a mess that became? It’s honestly for the best of they don’t have other relationships because they are so intimately connected that they’ll always be drawn to each other and I’d rather they don’t hurt other people in the process again.

14. Stephanie says:

Why is it that in this show no couple stays together. Not even Meredith with Derek they killed him off. it annoys me.

15. Danielle says:

Good. Do us a favor and kill off Catherine Avery. She is the one causing the most conflict with these two.

If I were April, I wouldn’t let her around my daughter.

• Ann-Marie says:

I really want them together. They are the reason I’m still watching grey’s. I’m soo rooting for them I practically watch their scenes over and over again. Shonda should really consider bringing them back together. We need a couple that will last at least. Their chemistry is just amazing ❤