Stephen Ameill Ninja Warrior

Will Arrow's Stephen Amell Tackle American Ninja Warrior?

The man who helped make “salmon ladder” a household word is setting his sights on the salmon ladder.

Arrow star Stephen Amell reached out via Twitter to NBC’s American Ninja Warrior on Saturday, expressing his interest in competing on the endurance series next year.

Ninja Warrior host Matt Iseman tweeted back his “acceptance” of Amell’s application, then jokingly asked if the show could use the Arrowcave for the City Finals.

Despite the gents’ congenial exchange (and over a holiday weekend at that), Amell’s participation on American Ninja Warrior is far from officially confirmed, yet sure is fun to think about. Amell has made a personal goal come true before, by working himself into a WWE storyline (eventually competing in last year’s SummerSlam). Plus, if you’re familiar with the extreme workout videos that the actor shares on social media, you know he is no stranger to Ninja Warrior-like obstacle courses.

Similarly, ANW is American Ninja Warrior Ratingsno stranger to TV’s DC Comics universe — Supergirl stunt woman Jessie Graff has competed multiple times on the NBC series, and just this past week became the first woman to complete Stage 1 of the American Ninja Warrior finals.

How do you think Amell would fare against an actual Ninja Warrior course? (And if he stumbles, will the hosts declare, “You have failed this City… Final”?)

1. Z says:

I feel like it’ll be disappointing if he doesnt make it, at least, to the warped wall

2. DarkDefender says:

I think he will kill it.

3. TvPeong says:

He would be awesome

4. Steve F. says:

Dude has got to compete on AMW… and I when he finishes the qualifier, I bet the hosts are going to yell, “Stephen Amell, you have NOT failed this City… Final!”

5. Velocisexual says:

There’s one problem though, he’s Canadian, ANW normally only allows American citizens to compete.

On one hand I really hope they can make it happen cause I like Stephen, but on the other hand it’s not fair to all the other non-americans who would love to be on this show one day.

• Elizabeth says:

Actually, he just said on FB not to long ago that he received a dual citizenship with US & Canada. He’s good to go and they only let US citizens compete because of the winnings they probably don’t want to deal with the international paperwork.

6. iceblast says:

I don’t know, I’ve been watching America Ninja Warrior and Ninja Warrior for years. Amell might be in good shape, and he looks good on Arrow, but a lot of the Obstacles on ANW require tons of grip strength, while holding all your body weight, while moving only using your hands, and even swinging and grabbing with those same hands on to another bar. Extremely difficult, and extremely taxing on your body. There just isn’t a lot of people that can do it, and these guys train everyday on obstacles like this to just be able to hang in there.

If Amell is going to have any luck, he’s going to have to put in some serious hang time, and moving from bar to bar with just his hands. Being able to do the Salmon Ladder is impressive, but can he do it, after he’s already worn himself out quite a bit.

I think it’s great that stars are starting to take the Challenge of American Ninja Warrior. I hope they keep doing it, but even the Veteran Ninja’s on the show fail, some even on the first obstacle.

I think the more important thing is, they were willing to take the challenge, not how far they get. People in much better shape than Amell fail on that show. There is nothing easy about it.

So, any star that wants to try, should treat the course with respect, take it seriously, but also have fun. If you fail the first couple of times, you train harder, and succeed the next time. If other stars see, that it’s OK to fail, more stars will try. Maybe even Professional Athletes will try.

Anyway, looking forward to the future of ANW.

• acurat says:

The fact he is even attempting it is impressive. I bet he will set himself a goal to finish the qualifying course. However, you are right. Grip strength is key which is why rock climbers tend to do well on the course to start. Not sure how many actors will try this. More likely stunt people like Jessie Graff will continue to try from TV and the movies.

• Tammy says:

Have you seen any of Amell’s workouts?

7. acurat says:

8. Colleen Pike-Korrecta says:

I think Stephen Amell would rock at the challenge. Knowing how dedicated he is to bettering himself, you can be sure he would give 200% to complete the course. I would not be surprised if he used this chance to also benefit a charity cause.

9. Hellenic78 says:

Too long of a commitment. Plus it’s not like he can show up and get it done, these people really practice. Not like the fake WWE.

10. Richisinator says:

Wow

11. ninamags says:

That’s IF the network lets him.

Those obstacle courses are difficult. The CW wouldn’t want this guy to get hurt.

12. malcolm says:

He might not finish(top athletes struggle) but i`am certain he would do very well…

13. Tammy says:

Would love to see a Celebrity version of the show. I think Amell would train hard for it too.

14. I have thought that he should be on for years now after first seeing him do the salmon ladder on Arrow. That being said, he would need to shed some muscle and drop some weight as the guys that do the best weigh in the 150-175 range. He would have to carry his body weight while using only grip strength so he’s too big right now to go far. That being said, it’d be fun, however the CW would have to sign off on it due to the injury risk and that it could overlap with Arrow’s filming schedule next summer.

15. I'm Batman says:

Ever seen one of Stephen’s workouts on FB? The guy is more than well equipped to make it to the finals. More a question of whether the CW will contractually permit him to try because an injury might potentially translate into downtime for Arrow.

16. CC says:

I think Amell would be great on ANW! I hope his appearance becomes a reality.

17. Dave says:

Would love to see him do it.

18. Oh look, Amell’s begging for attention again. Shocked.

19. Lola says:

My dreams come true!!!!

20. Wendy says:

Reboot Battle of the Stars!

21. A says:

My two favorite shows

22. Sbrellah says:

I am scared for him, but I do think he does have a chance. OMG is he hot. I miss all the shirtless salmon ladder scenes from season 1, 2, 3. OMG is Stephen Amell hot.