Exclusive

Beaches Remake Casts Young Versions of Idina Menzel and Nia Long

Lifetime’s upcoming Beaches remake has found a pair of pint-sized doppelgangers for its female leads.

Theater actresses Gabriella Pizzolo (age 13) and Grace Capeless (age 12) will play the younger versions of CC (Idina Menzel) and Hillary (Nia Long), TVLine has learned exclusively. Beaches — based on the 1988 tearjerker starring Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey — traces CC and Hillary’s lifelong friendship across several decades, so the girls will get plenty of screen time.

And how cute is this: Pizzolo and Capeless are real-life best friends, and already co-starred on Broadway in Matilda the Musical together.

Also joining the Beaches cast: Grace’s mother Jodi Capeless, who’ll play CC’s mom Leona in the childhood scenes, and nine-year-old Sanai Victoria (Black-ish), who’ll play Hillary’s daughter Tori.

The new-look Beaches TV movie premieres next year on Lifetime — which gives you plenty of time to stock up on tissues.

Will you tune in for the new Beaches remake? Sound off in the comments.

1. dlraetz says:

I loved the Bette Midler version so much. I hope that a)they do this justice and b) they don’t have Indina sing Wind Beneath My Wings. Idina has an amazing voice but that Bette OWNS that song. Find another amazing song for her

2. Niki says:

Im not against people of color but why they can stick to the original version of casting a white person and no a black one. Stick to the original, do not change that. Is like the new version of Ghostbusters movie. really women??? Stick to the original!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Vanessa says:

It’s a remake, so “stick to the original” is a contradiction to begin with. The original is still out there for those who care to watch it.

• jj says:

Agreed! the whole point of a remake is a reinterpretation. If everything was exactly like the original what is the point?

• Niki says:

Still if it is a re intepretation it applies the same stick to the original way the casting was, I mean in this case the gender ,skin color or sex of the celebrity who will play the part.

• dlraetz says:

If it was exactly the same it wouldn’t be worth remaking

• Mary says:

Well the first was fantastic so for me it isn’t worth remaking because you cannot come close. I am tired of all these remakes, do they not have any creative writers anymore to make a new fresh movie?

• burnscindy says:

Have you seen the new Ghostbusters? We are a HUGE Ghostbusters family. My kids grew up watching the movies and the cartoon series. They even had a firehouse playset! Yet we really enjoyed the new version. It worked and there were huge nods to the original with guest starts, music, etc. I laughed more during this movie than I have in a long time. Give it a chance. I’ll give the new Beaches a chance for the same reason. New does not necessarily mean better or worse, just different.

• Robert Swords says:

Folks look at like this. You know how Menzel wants to be hired for her acting ability, doesn’t have any,?.Well the fact she can at least bray like a donkey is why they hired her to play that pain in the butt Midler’s role.Another is it could be worse. They’ll stick to the story as is and not make them a lesbian couple, so there’s that. Careful also, some race baiters may accuse them of a conspiracy since Nia Long’s character will be the one who dies like Barbara Hershey’s did. They’ll go wildy accusing the network of a jewish conspiracy since Menzel’s jewish and you know how some of these racial hustlers like Jackson and Sharpton are.Me personally I hope the rest of you enjoy it or whatever even though I really don’t care for Menzel ever since she helped butcher the kids book the Wizad of Oz as that travesty of a show Wicked.That and neglecting her kid or kids to act instead of raising them.

3. I saw Gabriella in Fun Home last night she is talented and adorable!

4. D says:

remakes are garbage, this is garbage

5. lechatnoir says:

The younger version of Nia Long looks closer to biracial . wasn’t Quvenzhane willis available .

6. i guess this is the political correct version of this movie, sorry cant make a better version then the original.

7. Mary Jo Smith says:

Can’t wait to see the new remake of Beaches. Loved Grace Capeless in Matilda – can’t wait to see her in a film!!!

8. Kat Gleeson says:

Sure I’m in and willing to watch.I’m a big fan of the orig.Wasn’t there a chance Better Midler could have come in as CC’s grandmother or great aunt ? And it would be nice to see something of Barbara Hershey in flashback also along with Better Midler.However,new is new but…calling Hillary daughter Tori and not Victoria will take some time.I hope they add a bit more of Hillary ex into the story played by either Reed himself or someone who looks like him.
    Overall As I said,I’m in as long as they keep very close to orig,don’t go off half cocked into today’s music and keep actors as should be or who obviously should be.If I feel the show is not going in that direction then off it goes.
    The movie is a classic and deserves to be redone as so and not done with some pumped up 2016 music junk going on.

9. Sharon says:

I love the old version of beaches and I enjoyed the new updated more today version of beaches both great but the old version is a classic the kids I think we’re great