Suits Spoilers

Suits' Gabriel Macht Talks Pivotal Episode, Harvey's Feelings for Donna — Plus: Watch a Romantic (?) Reunion

With Mike’s future as a free man in limbo following the loss of his deal, “a lot is on the line” during tonight’s episode of Suits (USA Network 9/8c), star Gabriel Macht previews.

“Harvey is now trying every which way he can to get Mike out,” Macht describes. Meanwhile, the faux lawyer “reveals a few things to Kevin that put him in a really vulnerable situation. Gallo is also closing in on Mike. So we’re doing all we can to get to Sutter’s daughter. Mike comes up with a couple good ways of doing that via Donna, and Harvey is also working the other side, trying to dismantle Cahill’s case.”

At the end of the uphill battle, “there are some positive elements that come out of all of this,” Macht adds.

Macht — who also directed this week’s episodes — shared with TVLine his thoughts on Harvey’s Season 6 journey, unresolved issues (paging, Dr. Paula Agard!) and his (non-romantic?) feelings for Donna. Plus, watch an exclusive sneak peek of Jessica and Malone’s unexpected reunion, which causes the the boss lady to question some things in her life.

TVLINE | Do you see this experience with Mike as something that’s going to cause Harvey to make different choices in the future, should it ever be resolved? Will he be a different man going forward?
We always hope that characters can evolve and grow and mature properly and learn something about themselves so they can come out of a situation that’s potentially sticky and/or extremely uncomfortable…. Look, I would love for that to be the case with Harvey. I still think he’s got a lot of other demons in the closet that he’s dealing with. Maybe he’ll figure this one out, but he still has abandonment issues, control issues, type-A power issues. We’ll see, if and when he gets Mike out of jail, whether this really does turn a page in [Harvey’]s life.

TVLINE | It sounds like he needs to go back to therapy.
Yeah. Either go back to therapy or really get inside the nuts and bolts of his past, confront his mother and the other people in his life who have abandoned him and try and figure out if they have abandoned him, or if they’ve just gone on their journey and he’s cut them off.

TVLINE | Is that something you see him doing, resuming therapy?
I’m hoping so. I don’t know if it’s therapy or what, but I hope that we get back into some of his personal life, where it’s not just all about the firm. It’ll be interesting to see what the writers do.

Suits SpoilersTVLINE | What’s your take on Harvey’s feelings for Donna?
Harvey has always seen her as, for my money, his right-hand woman. She has been his Moneypenny, the left brain to his right brain. He needs her. He can’t operate without her when it comes to his work. And when he makes his error of judgments, she is able to come in and speak sense to him. Whether or not they’re right for each other romantically, I don’t know if he knows. I know they had that one time, and I know if they did get back together, she wouldn’t work for him. I don’t know if they did get together, if he could do it without her. Maybe if he changed his line of business, became a judge…? Maybe then he could end up with her. I really don’t know.

I really like the idea that it’s almost there and it’s not there. But honestly, I don’t find that we really play those moments. Some of it’s in the writing, but we’re not playing those moments. So it’s really interesting to see how an audience can take whatever it is that we’re putting forth.

TVLINE | What was his intention then when he told her “I love you” a couple seasons ago?
You know I can’t live without you. I don’t know if that means I am romantically in love with you. I love you as my friend, my sister, my partner.

Suits SpoilersTVLINE | There are some nice, quieter scenes with Jessica in this week’s episode. What was it like directing those?
It was good. For me, Episode 8 tees up Episode 9 and 10. It’s sort of the beginning of the end. I liked seeing Jessica really considering what’s happening with this fellow on death row and her place in the firm and what’s important to her as this power-hungry attorney who owns the firm, as opposed to love. We reintroduce Malone (Lucifer‘s D.B. Woodside) to see what blossoms out of this and what doesn’t. There’s a lot at stake right now, and this is beginning of Jessica seriously questioning many different things in her life. It was really nice to see that it wasn’t this aggressive or controlling or strong, strong woman. I find her to have even more strength in her simple moments, just direct talking to her ex-boyfriend.

Press PLAY below to watch Jessica and her ex reunite in court.

1. Mary says:

I hope the relationship between Harvey and Donna will always remain a non-romantic one. He had that kind of chemistry with Scottie, and even more with Zoe, played, if I’m correct, by Gabriel Macht’s wife in real life. Between Harvey and Donna… it’s just not there, and you don’t just resist not being together for all those years just because of a stupid rule, IMHO. There are just not that kind of feelings and attraction between them, forcing that would ruin their dynamic big time.

• sarah t says:

I don’t know they ever said they resisted being together because of a rule (though that might have been part of the excuse). Donna has alluded that she was somewhat in love with Harvey (or at least, had that potential) but when he secured her a job working for him, she realized he didn’t want the same. I think they’ve both put it on the back burner; Harvey especially, because he has strong abandonment issues. Plus, I think he worries that if it doesn’t work out, he’ll lose Donna forever. Plus, as GM mentioned above, Harvey doesn’t work well without Donna (also evidenced when Donna was let go a few seasons ago and he didn’t know quite how to operate) and when Donna was at risk for going to prison.

• BetsyDB says:

Macht has been saying the same thing season after season, his interviews are becoming repetitive. Harvey and Donna seem to have a lot of Suits fans on the edge of their seats, why not using this to promote the show? Instead the guy turns them off. Someone needs assessment here.

“But we’re not playing those moments.” I find this perplexing and sort of dismissive. Does it mean viewers aren’t capable to understand the message the writers of the show are trying to give? If so, they should make it more clear. Perhaps, I’m understanding every scene in the show wrong.

This season has been very slow and puzzling, Harvey and Mike only yell at each other and come up with far fetched ideas (Harvey drugging Mike to use Rachel as a way of convincing him that he wants out of jail was twisted and what a way to use a woman too) Louis keeps asking Donna to do nonsense (when is Donna getting better things to do than fixing someone else’s problems). The only interaction that seems to be saving it are Jessica and Rachel’s Innocence Project but will this be enough for the season?

• Emme says:

“Yes” to what Mary said.

2. sarah t says:

I disagree with GM’s thinking on his “I love you” to Donna. It was said in a definite “moment” (for lack of a better word). If it was platonic, it wouldn’t have had the weight that it carried and not just for Donna. It clearly carried a lot of weight for Harvey too, which is why he freaked out a bit after he said it. I think it’s more accurate to say that Harvey is scared of even trying a romantic relationship with Donna because he doesn’t want to risk losing her like he has everyone else important in his life. I want Donna and Harvey to get together. If that’s at the end of the series, that’s fine but I do think they’re the best fit together.
    As for “prison Mike”, this season has been a little slower and I do miss Mike’s interaction with the rest of the firm. However, I think it’s been good as a whole and the writers have made it work. Plus, it’s starting to heat up a bit more now which is making it more interesting.

• Katherine215 says:

I don’t watch the show anymore, but when I did, I always thought of Harvey as really similar to the Josh Lyman character from West Wing, in that they both were exceptionally good at their jobs and entirely dependent on (and in love with) their assistants (coincidentally, both Donnas) and riddled with trust and abandonment issues. I hope Harvey figures it out like Josh finally did.

• sarah t says:

I never watched the West Wing but now I kind of want to check it out. ;)

• BetsyDB says:

What’s interesting is that Sorkin admitted on one of his latest panels that he made a mistake by not putting Josh and Donna together earlier, this pairing brought the audience together. Harvey and Donna fans would enjoy it quite a lot.

• LB says:

This is the perfect comparison, I can’t believe I never thought if it before. Even how she came to resent him later on and felt like she had wasted time and opportunities for him so she left him, and he was furious and felt betrayed is just like what happened with Harvey and Donna last season. A big difference is that once West Wing Donna broke the status quo of their work wife situation she never went back, and that’s the reason they were able to become a couple eventually.

• Amaryllis says:

Yeah, but Josh and Donna didn’t get together til the end of the show. I could see that happening with Suits, but if they get together before that I don’t think that’s going to work. But then, I have no idea what they’re going to do with the show now that Mike’s secret is out.

3. Joey Padron says:

Great interview with Gabriel. Cool he directed new episode. Good sneak peek clip of new episode. Hope Harvey have a way to get Mike out of jail. Can’t wait to watch new episode tonight!

4. Jerri says:

What does he mean “the beginning of the end”? End of the season or series?

5. Cathy says:

I am curious as to the roll Mike will play after he gets out of prison….? Any thoughts…?

6. LB says:

So I don’t actually “ship” Harvey and Donna, but I find GM’s insight onto their relationship to be very strange but also illustrative of the reason I don’t ship it. He says the romance is sometimes there in the writing but they don’t really play it. I totally agree that HE doesn’t play it, which is the reason I’m not a fan of the pairing… but she definitely does! I think GM is great as Harvey at the office, but he’s created a character I can barely imagine out of a suit and in casual clothing. He doesn’t feel like a real person. In some ways this is okay because Suits is a very aspirational show about particularly high-powered NYC lawyers, so that fits with the fantasy. But I think his refusal to really play whatever feelings might be bubbling under the surface for Donna — who is essentially Harvey’s work wife on the show — has weakened the story line. I do think that Harvey and Donna will end up together because that’s just what happens with TV shows and they are a fan favorite relationship and Suits is that kind of show, so maybe he should get on board or risk leaving that aspect of Harvey’s characterization really underdeveloped. And his assertion that Harvey couldn’t continue to be a lawyer if Donna and he stopped working together to be in a relationship is silly. There’s no way that Donna as his wife or girlfriend would be having less of an influence on Harvey than she does now as his legal secretary. She doesn’t need to be involved in every aspect of his work life to still anchor him. The idea that a wife is a lesser partner than a legal secretary is frankly ridiculously stupid IDK. I just want them to either end Harvey/Donna or actually do the story line rather than tossing them together at the end like I 10000% expect.

7. Rudolf Herzog says:

It would be great to see these two former lovers re-unite and balance there work and social life.Both deserve some happiness.

8. Terry says:

I have been watching Suits from day one and has always been ranked in my top five favorite shows. Having said that, this current season has been a huge disappointment to me. The whole Mike in prison arc has been tiresome and outright unbelievable. The actors this season have developed a style of talking way too fast, almost like characters in a 30’s gangster movie. The plot lines with characters being able to go in and out of prison for visits with Mike at the drop of a hat are just wrong. I hope they will wrap this up asap and get back to more interesting story lines. The only saving grace in the whole season has been the Louis Lit character and the fact that Rick Hoffman hasn’t been nominated for awards is a crying shame.