Bethany Joy Lenz Colony

Colony Recast: Bethany Joy Lenz In, Thora Birch Out in Season 2

Colony‘s resident computer whiz Morgan is undergoing a bit of a reboot.

The USA Network thriller has tapped One Tree Hill alum Bethany Joy Lenz to join the Season 2 cast as the Resistance-allegiant software engineer, a role originated by American Beauty actress Thora Birch, Deadline reports.

Birch, who was reportedly unable to return due to scheduling conflicts, appeared in the final two episodes of Colony‘s first season. Lenz, meanwhile, will recur throughout Season 2, which is slated to bow in early 2017.

Lenz’s post-One Tree Hill credits include Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Dexter and, most recently, CBS’ summer thriller American Gothic.

1. Mary says:

Yeahhh! More Joy on Tv!!! this series is god???

2. Kate says:

I barely recall this character..so, okay?

3. M3rc_Nate says:

Had to search the actress and character to remember who it was. I am a Joy fan (OTH) however they just went from a basic looking actress who can pull off being a software engineer believably and such to a really gorgeous, cute actress who I don’t buy in that profession so much.
    You might think I am dissing the recasted actress but it’s actually a compliment. One of the things I like about British TV is they cast ugly and normal looking people to play their characters. Where as in America our shows are filled with gorgeous people, pretty people, handsome men, former models, etc.

• diane says:

Yuck to that comment. I bet Thora Birch didn’t know she was basic looking.

• ec says:

Second the yuck. Nate, the idea that you don’t “buy” a woman in a tech profession because of the way she looks isn’t an original thought – it’s just an offensive one. Maybe keep it to yourself next time… especially if you happen to work in the field.

• M3rc_Nate says:

Yuck all you want, but not all people are gorgeous. The reason most people look average is because it is AVERAGE…what the majority of people are. I liked that (at least with her makeup & hair how it was in S1) that Birch looked basic and believable for her role.

• dman6015 says:

Granted, Birch is older now, but go and watch American Beauty, then report back to us.

• KLS says:

Wow. What an offensive remark! I hope that you are not in the tech industry, if so, I pity all of the women you work with. And here we are, trying to get more girls into tech/science/math and we are faced with commenters like this. Apparently, you haven’t been to tech schools like MIT, CalTech, etc lately, those lady engineers are hot!

• skyebright8 says:

Eh, makeup and hair extensions maybe, I don’t think their physical features are all that different in reality

• fiberlicious says:

I know some pretty attractive geeks. They’re not all “plain.”

4. Joey Padron says:

Happy Bethany will be back on TV again! Love her since One Tree Hill.

5. R.O.B. says:

Reading these comments and for the life of me I can’t remember this character either from season 1. Please briefly recap!

• KLS says:

I had to think about this and then do some research. Initially, I thought they were referring to the Jennifer McMahon character who works with Will and used to be an online dating site’s sys admin. But, Morgan (Birch) was introduced at the end along with 2 other tech entrepreneurs. They were working in their “bunker” on their startup when the Occupation started. I think they made the drone & software that the Resistance were using at the end of season 1.

6. Ally says:

is any date to the second season yet??? I will like to see the first season before Joy appers

7. fiberlicious says:

I don’t remember the character, but I’m always happy to see BJL.