Pretty Little Liars Spoilers

Pretty Little Liars' New Detective Teases Revealing Finale, the Future of 'Sparco'

With A.D.’s ever-expanding army on the warpath, Spencer’s going to be a little busy on Tuesday’s Pretty Little Liars finale (Freeform, 8/7c) — but not too busy for romance.

TVLine spoke with Nicholas Gonzalez, introduced to the fans — and Spencer — via a memorable elevator scene at the top of Season 7. And not only does it sound like Marco is the first decent law enforcer to hit the streets of Rosewood, but he might also be the viable Toby replacement Spencer’s been looking for:

TVLINE | How would you describe Marco’s feelings for Spencer?
Marco’s a good guy. From everything we’ve seen and I’ve been told about him, he’s really in town to solve some crimes. He’s a moral, upstanding guy. As for Spencer, he just sees a charming, beautiful, intelligent, witty woman. Despite all these signs against them, he wants a relationship with her.

marcoTVLINE | I’m sure you’re aware of Rosewood’s less-than-stellar history with police.
Yeah, exactly. My audition consisted of a chemistry read with Troian, which was so much fun. And when we stopped the scene, Marlene leaned forward and said, “Well, I guess we’re finally going to have a smart cop in Rosewood who’s finally going to solve some crimes for once.” Of course, the crimes keep piling up, so we’ll see if he can keep his head above water.

TVLINE | Hey, as long as he isn’t causing the crimes.
Right. He’s definitely not preying on the Liars, like the other cops. He’s genuinely attracted to Spencer and hopes the best for her.

TVLINE | It’s funny, we’re seeing this relationship building — but they’ve already hooked up. How soon into being on set did you film that elevator scene?
[Laughs] First day. It was like, “Hey, nice to see you again. I’ll be your lover for the day.” … But Troian is a consummate professional, and she made it so easy and comfortable for me. We had a lot of fun doing it.

TVLINE | Do you see Marco as more of a rebound guy, or does he have a shot at a future with Spencer?
With Spencer, if you’re going to make that argument, you’d have to ask, “Isn’t she always rebounding?” She’s always breaking up with somebody. … The potential in everything is there, but the question is: How much is Marco going to find out? That will determine the level of their relationship. I don’t know if he’s ready to compromise his own morals, career and life for it.

TVLINE | And what’s Marco’s role in the summer finale?
His role in the finale is just trying to control the s–t storm coming to Rosewood; you’ll see some faces you thought were gone. Marco’s trying to muddle through it without all the information, but he finds out some truth. There are some really intense moments coming.

Your thoughts on “Sparco”? Hopes for the big finale? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. jimmy says:

I feel like Marco is too old for Spencer. I wish they would’ve cast someone a little younger.

• CurlyGirly says:

Well, at least she’s not underage *cough* Ezria *cough*

• Haylscat says:

Well there was the time-jump this season, so the girls are now 23-24. And yeah, he seems in his 30s, but Spencer has always been so mature that I think it works. What does NOT work for me is that they are trying to use the time-jump to forgive Ezra’s past sins. “But NOW she’s old enough…” doesn’t work for me.

2. Pamela says:

It was said that three of the original ships will be together by the end of the season. Aria and Ezra, and Hanna and Caleb are happening so we just don’t know if the last one will be Emily and Alison or Spencer and Toby. Im thinking it will be Emison now.

3. Miriam says:

Spoby is so much better!! Marco is too old for her and is a creepy guy.

• Kristen says:

Too old? Really? On a show that pushed the student/teacher romance? Spencer has always been mature beyond her years, so I don’t find this relationship to be a stretch.

• Kelly says:

You’re joking right? Older guys with younger girls is the bread and butter of this show! Geez.

4. Kristen says:

I personally don’t mind seeing Spencer with Marco, but oddly enough, I enjoyed her with Caleb. Don’t shoot me! I like him with Hanna, but that raw emotion Caleb was showing outside of Spencer’s door. He truly loved her, just not more than this highschool ideal he has of his relationship with Hanna. Regardless, we know Hanna and Caleb will reunite… Aria and Ezra will be together… and despite what everyone is thinking, I think Emily will end up with Paige. Unless, Alison’s crazy Archer implanted some fertilized Emily eggs into her, then I could see them raising the baby together. I really hope this whole Nicole storyline can be put to rest though.

5. N says:

I like them together. Though I’ll always root for Spencer and Toby, I think Marco has potential as a possible love interest for Spencer. As for age, isn’t Spence already well into her twenties? He not too old (at least he doesn’t look too old to me). I’m certainly not against seeing where their relationship goes on from here, anyway.

6. CoolToni says:

I am really pro Spoby and this goodbye kiss was so heartbreaking. Marco is a cute guy but not a replacement for Toby. Maybe through the accident Spencer and Toby will come closer again- fingers crossed!
    #spobyforendgame