Outlander Season 3

Outlander Taps Aussie Actor to Play Lord John Grey in Season 3

Outlander went Down Under in search of Lord John Grey and — success! — they found him!

The Starz drama has cast Australian actor David Berry to play the pivotal role in Season 3, which is slated to bow sometime next year. The cabler describes Lord Grey as “a steadfast and honorable British subject, torn between a finely-honed sense of familial duty and a strong moral compass of right and wrong. He is boyishly handsome with an upper class rearing — the consummate gentleman.  However, a scandal from his past has relegated Lord John to an undesirable position as governor of a desolate prison in Northern Scotland.”

It’s there that he crosses paths and bonds with Jamie (Sam Heughan). As TVLine’s resident Outlander expert has previously pointed out, Grey is a closeted gay man with feelings for Jamie — who does not return them.

Relatively unknown to American audiences, Berry’s most high-profile credit is a co-starring role in the Aussie TV series A Place to Call Home.

EW.com first broke the news of Berry’s casting.

Outlander Season 3 — based on Voyager, the third of Diana Gabaldon’s eight books in the Outlander series — picks up right after Claire travels through the stones to return to her life in 1948. Now pregnant, she struggles with the fallout of her sudden reappearance and its effect on her marriage to her first husband, Frank. Meanwhile, in the 18th century, Jamie suffers from the aftermath of his doomed last stand at the historic battle of Culloden, as well as the loss of Claire.

1. Anonymous says:

Very excited for him! In the sporadic eps of APTCH I’ve seen, he was great. And though I don’t watch Outlander, I’m glad he’ll be noticed by an international audience. #aussierepresent

2. July Lark says:

well alrighty, I would love to see him in costume/character. yes indeed.

3. Ian says:

I approve. The kid Grey actor didnt grow up to be this guy, but whatever. I called that.
    Will they be lightening his hair?

4. Cyba D. says:

I can already tell the casting dept. did a FAR better job with John Grey than they did with Brianna. I’m not sold on Sophie Skelton AT ALL. But that’s just me. Neither Grey nor Brianna ever really grew on me in the books, either.

5. Alichat says:

Hmmm….I need to see him with the blonde hair.

• Alichat says:

Oh dear…..he’s 6’1″………queue the book-fan ranting in 3…….2…….1

• Sarah says:

They likely won’t give him the blonde hair – the kid version had brown hair (or at least it looked like he did, though the light in that scene wasn’t great), and it matters more for the tv show’s continuity that he looks like a grown-up version on the kid than the book description (cue book fan backlash here too!).
      They actually did a great job of casting a grown-up version of their 16-year old Grey… well, if his headshot is accurate since I’ve never seen him on screen.
      Give him a chance, book fans! If he’s as bad an actor as Brianna was in the finale, THEN you can complain… until then, remember that adaptation are never exact replicas of books, nor do they have to be.

• Judy Sand says:

I totally agree casting Brianna is a flop First, she can’t act. Second, she isn’t even taller than Clair and the books make quite a big deal about her height. Very disappointing choice.

• Alichat says:

I thought it was the lighting in the scene as well, but I think you are right. Young Lord John had light brown hair…..or dirrrty blonde as Sam says. LOL

6. Miss O'Ginny says:

That is some inspired casting right there. He already had a similar experience with his role on “A Place to call Home” where he went through shock treatment to cure his “affliction” He has the posh accent down as well. I was hoping they would choose Jack Farthing from Poldark but that series is still going on ….wait….does that mean David Berry is leaving his show as they new season of “A Place to call Home” starts next month.

• ScottJ says:

There’s an article online that says all of Season 4 of A Place to Call Home has already been filmed. There probably won’t be another series after that one.

7. Diane says:

I’m so glad! They needed someone great looking to play Lord John. He’s a favorite of mine in the books. Wish they had done better with Brianna! I was not at all impressed with her performance and she was supposed to be really tall as well.

8. YvetteP says:

Very nice indeed! Though, I think with a thick Scottish accent, he ends up looking like my version (in my head) of Roger. I am not disappointed in the casting of Rik for Roger, but they should have made his hair black at least and No….I don’t like Sophie for Brianna. However, as for David…..yummy and to think I never saw Lord John this way! Hmmmmm…now I have to go re-read some books. :)

9. Viv says:

Whew! That pic takes my breath away! Wow! That is not the mature, seasoned, emotional-mcgyver i expected at ALL! That’s no young Victor Garbo! ROFL!!

Hoo-boy… Well. Bring on season 3.
    Well done, casting dept. Well freaking done! LOL!!

DO NOT TOUCH HIS HAIR…