Charles Osgood Retires

Charles Osgood, CBS Sunday Morning Anchor, Announces Imminent Retirement: 'The Time Has Come'

CBS Sunday Morning‘s top story today was about its beloved longtime host, Charles Osgood.

The broadcasting legend announced his retirement on air during Sunday’s show, bringing to an end a career that has spanned 45 years (22 of which he spent anchoring Sunday Morning). His final telecast is set for Sunday, Sept. 25.

“Some of you may have heard rumors lately that I won’t be hosting these Sunday Morning broadcasts very much longer. Well, I’m here to tell you that the rumors are true,” Osgood told viewers. “For years now people — even friends and family — have been asking me why I keep doing this considering my age. I am pushing 84. It’s just that it’s been such a joy doing it! Who wouldn’t want to be the one who gets to introduce these terrific storytellers and the producers and writers and others who put this wonderful show together. I want to thank all of them and all of you in our still-growing audience for your support and encouragement. It’s been a great run, but after nearly 50 years at CBS, including the last 22 years here on Sunday Morning, the time has come.”

Osgood will continue to host his daily radio segment The Osgood File on the CBS Radio Network, as well as make occasional appearances on Sunday Morning.

1. guitardawn says:

My favourite thing about Sunday mornings. He will be missed

2. Michael Summerset says:

The show itself is a holdover from the 70s but it still has a way of sucking you in. If it was ever cancelled the slot would probably wind up being used from infomercials.

3. jless says:

I hope that “Sunday Morning” doesn’t end. He gives out charm and confidence, I’ll greatly miss him. Wish he enjoys happiness and health on his remaining years.

4. Becky says:

Growing up, I thought CBS Sunday Morning was a show for old people and couldn’t appreciate it. Perhaps it’s because I’m “old” (35) now, but I see the beauty in the simple vignettes and enjoy it and Mr. Osgood immensely. Sad to see him go.

• Andrea says:

I’m older than Becky (mid-40s), but I co-sign everything she said. CBS Sunday Morning is enjoyable to me because I learn something new from it. Best wishes to Charles Osgood on his retirement.

5. Egadz65 says:

CBS Sunday Mornings has long been the only television “news” program I watch regularly. It always reminded me of the Features section from a good Sunday newspaper (remember those?) Charles Osgood was the natural successor to Charles Kuralt. But I’m not sure there is a natural successor to Mr. Osgood. He will be missed.

6. opus says:

CBS Sunday Morning has been blessed with two superb anchors, Charles Kuralt for the first 15 years and Charles Osgood for the past 22 years. Hope CBS can find a third anchor of such quality. We will miss you Mr. Osgood!!!

7. Tim says:

Charlie had hip or knee replacement earlier this year, and it was hinted then that he would soon retire so I’m not completely surprised. He will be missed, but the show is in capable hands.

8. Melinda Carvin says:

My husband and I have watched Sunday Morning our entire married life.(34 years). Mr. Osgood will be very much missed. Best wishes on your retirement.

9. Susan says:

Mr. Osgood’s personality has really helped that show shine. I wish CBS luck in finding a replacement that will equal him.

10. Owen Story says:

I’d say announcement of his retirement was expected since he’s hardly on it anymore I’m interested to see who replaces him. I have nothing against Jane Pauley but Im not sure she would be the best choice, I don’t know if Anthony Mason will want it since he already does CBS This Morning Saturday, I could be wrong but my replacement guess is Lee Cowan.

• CourtTV says:

Lee Cowan or Jane Pauley seem the most likely. Both do the guest hosting spots most regularly. I’d like to see Jane get it, though, I like both. Mr. Osgood will be missed.

• Vera Willard says:

Many thanks for being there for us!. It has been my favorite show for ever. I have always loved the positiveness, and the joy it brings to all.

11. Sharon Motel says:

Love this show. I can only sleep in until 7:58 on Sunday mornings. Longer segments than network news, interesting variety and focused on arts. Charles has been the best! I teared up as he sang goodbye in a quavering voice.

12. Owen Story says:

I got to thinking replacements for Charles Osgood on Sunday Morning how about the black sportscaster James Brown?

• Owen Story says:

More replacements ideas for Charles Osgood are coming to my mind how about the black news reporter Maurice DuBois, or Jeff Glor?

• Ben Thum says:

Jeff Glor? Seriously? Anthony Mason has earned this prestigious host gig. No one else comes close, although I understand Dan Rather is available.

13. JenInChicago says:

Martha Teichner or Lee Cowan would be good choices. Both have an easygoing manner and soothing voices….It would be a nice transition from Mr. Osgood.

As nice of a person as he seems, no Mo Rocca, please….

14. Ron Laird says:

I think Steve Hartman would be the perfect replacement for Charles Osgood. His On The Road segments are much like the segments on Sunday Morning. Mr. Hartman also has that quiet, thoughtful, and understated approach that Charles Kuralt and Charles Osgood had.

15. Tricia says:

It’s so nice to have a quiet reflective Sunday am show to drown out all the noise from the week prior. TV has become so noisy in the modern age. Wish it could continue.

16. You will be missed in our household. Sunday tradition.💝

17. Paul Patterson says:

Charles Osgood,
    CBS will never be able to replace you and America with never be the same without you.
    We have lost prayer in our schools as well as the pledge of Allegiance , and now you.
    Good bless you wish you good health and may you enjoy many more years of life doing anything you want.
    Thank you for awaking me for 60 years. Teaching people how to appreciate things and to open their eyes to live life right . My Sunday morning will never be the same. My last part of the great past.
    Paul

18. Janet & David Hubley says:

Charles gave so much to all of us. So sad to say goodbye. Enjoy your retirement and know how much you mean to all of us.

19. Jeff Mendes says:

Dear Charles, I’m commenting to express my joy and sadness. I actually started viewing your, SUNDAY MORNING, TV show 2 yrs ago, I must say it truly captured me. I haven’t missed an episode , I call it my vitamin for the week. It’s my YOGA. YOUR ONE OF A KIND MR. OSGOOD, Sincerely 66 year Jeff Mendes.