Emmys

Emmys 2016: What Should Win Best Drama Series? Take Our Poll!

A pair of TCA Award-winning programs are shaking up this year’s Emmy race for Outstanding Drama Series.

The Americans and Mr. Robot are first time contenders in the category, filling vacant slots left by the no-longer-eligible Mad Men and the eligible-but-not-nominated Orange Is the New Black.

Of course, for either newcomer to clinch the prestigious trophy, they’ll have to beat 2015 champ Game of Thrones. Should HBO’s fantasy drama not garner a repeat win, voters will have to wait until 2018 to recognize the program for its seventh season, which will not air within the 2017 eligibility window.

Rather than award something new, voters might also opt to acknowledge the sixth and final season of Downton Abbey, a five-time nominee which has yet to nab a best drama statue. Other contenders include fellow repeat nominees Better Call Saul (now on its second nomination), House of Cards (in the race for a fourth consecutive year) and Homeland (which has not been victorious since Season 1).

What would you do if you had the opportunity to recognize one of the aforesaid dramas when the Emmys are handed out on Sept. 18? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite, then hit the comments to defend your pick.

Every day for the next couple of weeks, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win?” Emmy poll, so visit TVLine.com daily to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s most distinguished honor.

1. Sherry Riley says:

Outlander on Starz should have been nominated. How long will they be ignored? But good luck to this year’s nominees.

• rowan77 says:

How long? They had one season during the eligiblilty period. One. You make it sound like they get passed over all the time.

• Sherry Riley says:

Actually, it’s been on for two seasons. Just giving my opinion…I think Outlander is the best series on television and expressing it doesn’t mean any negativity against this year’s nominees. Slainte mhath!

• rowan77 says:

Calm down. NOW it’s been two seasons, but only the first season was up for consideration because the second wasn’t aired yet. So only one season has been eligible for awards, so chill.

• PatriciaLee says:

The husband hasn’t seen any of these shows (due to a lack of interest), and Mr. Robot is excellent but not consistent, so I chose my mother’s favorite (and…really…who can compete with the acting chops and job of Downton Abbey?

• PatriciaLee says:

No doubt this is the danger with filming a popular novel series. The mother stopped watching because she wanted to retain her vision of Claire’s story, or some such. I guess they did not emphasize what she felt was the most important and over-emphasized stuff she skimmed over. Ooops, my other post ended up answering this one, too…beware of where you click, folks.

• Simon Jester says:

Outlander’s second season was incredibly uneven. It doesn’t belong in the same category as these others.

• Kyle says:

Tell that to the Americans that finally got recognized after 4 phenomenal seasons.

• T. McIntosh says:

I totally agree with you Sherry! Great series! I think Outlander being snubbed, sucks! I really like Homeland a lot also, but the airing schedule seems awfully inconsistent! What’s up with that Showtime?

2. Joey says:

I know that shows are awarded for a single season, but out of all of those, The Americans has the only one to stay consistent and amazing every single season.

3. spindae2 says:

Voted Mr. Robot, but honestly anything but Homeland. Season 5 was such a freaking mess, not sure how it got nominated.

4. Swift says:

As much as I LOVE LOVE LOVE The Americans and so happy that it is finally getting all the acclaim by Emmy it deserves, This year has to be the year of Game Of Thrones! This Season was EPIC! The last episode was the most spectacular piece of TV i have seen recently!

So yeah either of those two

5. Julia says:

None of the above. Bates Motel should be on the list! Best show of the season. I love Homeland but this past season was its worst.

6. Anne says:

Americans should win for most consistently boring show on tv. I quit after season 3. I wanted to like it but just couldn’t.

7. Kevin K says:

GoT FTW

8. Courtney says:

I’d be happy if Game of Thrones, The Americans, or Mr. Robot won. I think if Mr. Robot had a bigger Season 2, it could have won, but the hype hasn’t been there sadly…even though I’m loving this season. The American deserves to win, but I’d love if Matthew or Keri won. But Game of Thrones gets my vote because this season was incredible and honestly beyond anything else on TV.

9. KayCeeCee says:

I don’t watch any of these shows; so I couldn’t vote. However, GOT seems to be the buzziest.

10. jr. says:

None of the above. How about ABCs The Family!

11. Simon Jester says:

I watch and enjoy most of these shows… but honestly, THE AMERICANS is operating on a much higher plane than the others.

12. flowerduh says:

I guess I am the lone wolf on this one. But I think House of Cards should win. This season the President and the first lady were so visceral!

The scene where the first lady helped her mother kill herself and then had sex with dude all in the same night! One of the best dramas ever!

13. notfeelingencouraged says:

Don’t watch any of them. Although, I do have the first season of GOT on DVD and will watch it some day.

14. Christine says:

“Outlander”‘s season 2 may have been uneven but it was still better than half the shows on this list. “House of Cards”?? maybe 2 seasons ago.

15. Iris says:

Game of Thrones was incredible this season and deserves to win by a landslide imo. But the constant snub of The Walking Dead is really ridiculous at this point. What is the hipster clique excuse for this one? The storytelling, character development and acting is at least on par with, if not way superior to, many of the other nominates. It’s a pop-culture phenomenom, a ratings powerhouse and it’s quality TV. It should be on the list.

• Kylr says:

Earlier seasons of Walking Dead maybe but right now their writing and pacing is awful. Plus Saul is just better all around.

16. paula cuevas says:

Major Crimes is an excellent show it should have been nominated. But good luck to the ones that were nominated.

17. George H. says:

All of them are good choices, but Game of Thrones really blew everyone else away this season. Really stepped up its game big time. It was literally hold hold your breath, sit on the edge of your seat tv for a few of the episodes, all episode long.

18. Guy says:

Hands down, The Americans is the best show of the bunch. It’s on a different level from anything else on TV.

19. A fan of TV says:

I would absolutely give it to Me Robot or The Americans. As Mr Robot has more awards momentum than he Americans, it would probably have the better shot, but being the Emmy’s I’d imagine they’ll award either Downtown’s final season or Game of Thrones again.

20. Lala says:

GOT was in a league of its own this season..I’d be surprised if it does not win. But I love most of these shows anyway.

21. lol, giving Game of Thrones the Best Drama Emmy would be like giving Deadpool the Best Picture Oscar

22. Zee D-V says:

Bummed that Orphan Black didn’t make the cut……..again.

23. Baltimees says:

Why there isn’t any main network dramas in the list? Those nominations suck.

24. Dana F says:

I REFUSE to accept this poll. Not even in the upside down universe is “House of Cards” better than “Better Call Saul”??

25. Game, Robot, Americans and Saul are worthy nominations. I would have rather seen the others replaced with Bates Motel, Orphan Black and Outlander. And as unrealistic as I know it is, from the perch in my idiosyncratic world, I would also have liked to see Rectify and Banshee recognized for the awesomeness that both consistently maintained.

26. Yoo-Hoo says:

Your poll tool isn’t showing up in all browsers….